• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    May 30th said:
    My top 5 Favourite Canadian bands

I Mother Earth 
    the Tea Party 
    the Trews
    Big Sugar
    Wide Mouth Mason

honourable mentions: Tragically Hip, Big Wreck, Headstones, the odds, Matthew Good Band, Blue Rodeo, Watchmen, Finger Eleven

Quicksilver Meat Dream is the best!!!
    such a shame they cancelled that tour. I dug that album so much. way better than blue green orange. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    This guy is pretty good too

https://youtu.be/2bi64Y55LEU

(Tim Rogers)
  • ST66483ST66483 Posts: 673
    edited November 2020
    I’d add Hayden to the list of enjoyable Canadian artists. He has also performed on a PJ undercard before at Barrie 1998. Lots of other good acts already mentioned, Dayglos, Sloan, Metric, the Hip, 54-40, etc.  The Ghandharvas, Smalls / Corb Lund, Daniel Lanois, Buck65 are some others that come to mind that I’ve enjoyed. 

With respect OLP I too loved the first album, but in my opinion Raine’s vocals changed after that album and could never really get into them after that album.
    Post edited by ST66483 on
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    May 30th said:

I Mother Earth 
    the Tea Party 
    the Trews
    Big Sugar
    Wide Mouth Mason

honourable mentions: Tragically Hip, Big Wreck, Headstones, the odds, Matthew Good Band, Blue Rodeo, Watchmen, Finger Eleven

Absolutely!! It’s a masterpiece as far as I’m concerned 
    May 30th said:

I Mother Earth 
    the Tea Party 
    the Trews
    Big Sugar
    Wide Mouth Mason

such a shame they cancelled that tour. I dug that album so much. way better than blue green orange. 
    I got to see 3 shows on the quicksilver tour. 
    May 30th said:

I Mother Earth 
    the Tea Party 
    the Trews
    Big Sugar
    Wide Mouth Mason

i recall them having to cancel many shows; i thought it was the whole tour. I just remember jag talking about the record company not putting any money behind the record as they didn't like it, so they pulled the plug on the tour. i had tickets to a show here. it didn't happen because of that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

May 30th said:

I Mother Earth 
    the Tea Party 
    the Trews
    Big Sugar
    Wide Mouth Mason

i recall them having to cancel many shows; i thought it was the whole tour. I just remember jag talking about the record company not putting any money behind the record as they didn't like it, so they pulled the plug on the tour. i had tickets to a show here. it didn't happen because of that. 
    Yes I do recall some of that. I think what happened was they did get out on tour for a bit but eventually the rest was cancelled. I saw 2 shows in Kingston and one in Ottawa.
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,693
    Will you all make fun of me if I say I like Alanis Morissette. Because I do. 
  • erebuserebus Posts: 549
    All kinds, good and bad under all genres

Stars
    Sarah Harmer
    Broken Social Scene

1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,709
    GlowGirl said:

What kind of friends would we be if we didn't make fun of you? :tongue:

Obviously Jagged Little Pill was/is great. I did buy the album after that but didn't care for it too much and gave it to someone.

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    edited November 2020
    GlowGirl said:
    back in the 90's my best friend moved out to vancouver from winnipeg. i and my GF at the time took a trip out there to visit him, and he took us to this amazing spot in the mountains and we stayed there a couple nights. on one of the nights. he took me to his truck, he popped in Jagged Little Pill, and he skipped to the hidden track. we sat there among the beauty of the mountains and a nearby lake and listened to Alanis a capella cranked to 11 and it was magical. 

so no, i won't make fun of you. LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• toolietoolie Posts: 388
    My girlfriend (at the time's) little sister wanted to go, so in Aug./1996 we saw her in Calgary. I wasn't excited but honestly she blew me away. Was quite a bit heavier (really!) than the record. And wasn't Taylor Hawkins her drummer or something? JLP got overplayed but that summer was the summer of Alanis!
    toolie said:
    My girlfriend (at the time's) little sister wanted to go, so in Aug./1996 we saw her in Calgary. I wasn't excited but honestly she blew me away. Was quite a bit heavier (really!) than the record. And wasn't Taylor Hawkins her drummer or something? JLP got overplayed but that summer was the summer of Alanis!
    taylor was alanis's drummer, you're right. dave makes fun of him for that. lol. 

i took my sister to the show when she came for the second album (the JLP show quickly sold out, and i was bummed as OLP was opening). it was a great show. 

freaking crash test dummies opened for her. that was odd. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• halvhalv Posts: 675
    Elliott Brood are amazing. Kind of a rootsy, rock, country, punk style depending on the song. Remind me of 16 Horsepower a little bit. They don't have a bad album, but if I had to recommend one I'd say Mountain Meadows. 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,693
    toolie said:

i took my sister to the show when she came for the second album (the JLP show quickly sold out, and i was bummed as OLP was opening). it was a great show. 

Forgot about the Crash Test Dummies. I just basically know that one song from them.

toolie said:

CTD is one cancon band I never did see. They came to Red Deer last November and a buddy of mine went and said it was awesome! I was out of town or totally would have checked it out.

Man I miss shows.

GlowGirl said:
    toolie said:

Forgot about the Crash Test Dummies. I just basically know that one song from them.

Peter Pumpkinhead??? =)

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,709
    edited November 2020
    Can't believe no one said (including me) Arcade Fire

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • ^^^^ Fair point. They are very good. Would definitely be added into the honourable mention category. Inexcusable oversight. 
    I also would be remiss if I didn’t mention David Wilcox, Men Without Hats, and the Sam Roberts Band  (all from Montreal I believe). 
  • toolie said:
    toolie said:

CTD is one cancon band I never did see. They came to Red Deer last November and a buddy of mine went and said it was awesome! I was out of town or totally would have checked it out.

Man I miss shows.

I saw them at the Lethbridge College Barn in 93 I think? It was just before the Superman Song broke. Great show... I was college plastered of course but right in front.  Had no idea they were still touring would be great to see them again 
  • Glorious Sons
    GlowGirl said:
    If we are going classic rock, I like The Guess Who, and BTO.
    both with connections to The Peg. sweet choices. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

listening to Matthew Good Band right now. he put out some amazing records back then. He actually still does. His last show my wife and I saw was right up there as one of the best. he's an incredible songwriter, but man, can the guy tell a story. and he is incredibly intelligent when it comes to world issues (not just US and Canadian politics). 

I have a whole shitload of his unreleased and rare stuff if anyone is interested. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• halvhalv Posts: 675
    I've always thought Tom Cochrane and Red Rider were highly underrated. Everyone knows Life is a Highway but some of my favs are White Hot, Lunatic Fringe, Boy Inside the Man, Big League, Can't Turn Back, Wish You Well and Napoleon Sheds His Skin among many others. The album he recorded with the Edmonton Symphony is brilliant. 
    listening to Matthew Good Band right now. he put out some amazing records back then. He actually still does. His last show my wife and I saw was right up there as one of the best. he's an incredible songwriter, but man, can the guy tell a story. and he is incredibly intelligent when it comes to world issues (not just US and Canadian politics). 

I have a whole shitload of his unreleased and rare stuff if anyone is interested. 
    I would love to get hold of some rare/unreleased MG!

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:

I would love to get hold of some rare/unreleased MG!
    send me a pm with your email and i can wetransfer it to you
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Saints and Sinners tour update. 

Tour is now November 2021. Big Wreck had to drop out so they added Sloan to the lineup. 

That's actually not bad. Official dates coming this Friday the 27th. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Saints and Sinners tour update. 

Tour is now November 2021. Big Wreck had to drop out so they added Sloan to the lineup. 

That's actually not bad. Official dates coming this Friday the 27th. 

Sloan, Headstones, Tea Party and Moist?? That sounds like my dream festival in 1994. I'm going.