Options

The Jazz Corner

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,674
edited November 2020 in Other Music
Let's talk about jazz- your favorites, your recent discoveries, your latest rediscoveries, your highest recommendations, etc.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2020
    My most recent rediscovery is this fine album by an artist both highly praised and, at times, mercilessly disparaged.  I happen to love his work:  Pharoah Sanders, Live at the East.
    Pharoah Sanders - Live At The East 1972 Indianapolis Press Vinyl   Discogs

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,906
    edited November 2020
    Been picking up some of those Tone Poet reissues and have really gotten into Bobby Hutcherson. 

• Options
    toolietoolie Posts: 388

Love this thread! I've got Kenny Dorham Trompeta Toccata and the Getz/Gilberto Verve reissue in the mail right now, hopefully be here by the weekend. My record store is also holding me a copy of Lee Morgan-Sidewinder and McCoy Tyner - The Real McCoy when they come out in December from that new Bluenote Classic series.

Any recommendations on highlights from the Tone Poet series are welcomed! I have limited knowledge on anything other than Coltrane/Davis. No idea what the standouts are????

• Options
    Been picking up some of those Tone Poet reissues and have really gotten into Bobby Hutcherson. 

Nice!  I'm hearing some good things about that series.
    toolie said:

Love this thread! I've got Kenny Dorham Trompeta Toccata and the Getz/Gilberto Verve reissue in the mail right now, hopefully be here by the weekend. My record store is also holding me a copy of Lee Morgan-Sidewinder and McCoy Tyner - The Real McCoy when they come out in December from that new Bluenote Classic series.

Any recommendations on highlights from the Tone Poet series are welcomed! I have limited knowledge on anything other than Coltrane/Davis. No idea what the standouts are????

Glad you dig it, toolie! 
    Getz/Gilberto is awesome.  I had been looking for a nice, affordable original for a long time to replace a beater copy and was about to give up and purchase a re-issue when I got SUPER lucky and found a beautiful copy for a few dollars at a rummage sale.

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,906
    toolie said:

So far I've gotten

Duke Pearson - The Phantom
    Bobby Hutcherson - Oblique
    Jimmy Smith - Prayer Meetin
    Bobby Hutcherson - The Kicker
    Grant Green - Nigeria
    Grant Green - Born to Be Blue

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,677
    Brubek Quartet. their "time" series.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    One thing I'm particularly curious about is, What is going on in the world of jazz today?   This is a music that's been around for a long time and gone through many phases*- from ragtime, Dixieland, swing/big band, bop, cool, hard bop, free/avant garde, fusion/jazz rock, eclecticism... but what about lately?  

*An interesting side note is a quote I read recently in Nat Hentoff's book, At the Jazz Band Ball and within it, a quote from Duke Ellington:

"Of all the interviews with musicians I've done, there is one with Duke Ellington that has been a guide for me, not only in writing about music but, in everything else I write and do.  Ellington taught me to avoid categorizing everything."

[And then he quote Ellington:]

"The other night I heard a cat on the radio and he was talking about 'modern' jazz.  So he played a record to illustrate his point, and there were devices in that music I heard cats using in the 1920's.  These large words like 'modern' don't mean anything.  Everybody who's had anything to say in this music- all the way back- has been an individualist... I listen for those individualists.  Like Sidney Bechet, Louis Armstrong, Coleman Hawkins and like Charlie Parker was." 

• Options
    Last night, I was completely dumbfounded in reading that no jazz music (not even Duke Ellington's!) was not considered to be "serious" enough music to qualify for the Pulitzer Prize for Music until June 2, 2004.  This has to be one of the most long-standing, disrespectful, egregious cultural oversights in American history.

• Options
    remove either the "no" (jazz music)  or the "not" (considered...)

both together in that statement are counter to what you mean.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    remove either the "no" (jazz music)  or the "not" (considered...)

both together in that statement are counter to what you mean.....

LOL.  Good call.  Late night posting double negative syndrome!

But isn't that crazy?  I read that in a Nat Hentoff book last night.

Also last night, we watched this great jazz film.  If you haven't seen in, you will dig it!  The musicians who play in this movie are like a jazz list of who's who from the 80's.  A fine story which includes some terrific performances :

Film Screenings Round Midnight  The Dexter Gordon Society

Performers (most in the film, all on the soundtrack) include:
    Herbie Hancock who won an Oscar for the sound track
    Dexter Gordon
    Freddie Hubbard
    Ron Carter
    Tony Williams
    Bobby McFerrin
    Pierre Michelot
    Billy Higgins
    John McLaughlin
    Chet Baker
    Bobby Hutcherson
    Wayne Shorter
    Lonette McKee
    Cedar Walton

• Options
    brianlux said:
    One thing I'm particularly curious about is, What is going on in the world of jazz today?   This is a music that's been around for a long time and gone through many phases*- from ragtime, Dixieland, swing/big band, bop, cool, hard bop, free/avant garde, fusion/jazz rock, eclecticism... but what about lately?  

*An interesting side note is a quote I read recently in Nat Hentoff's book, At the Jazz Band Ball and within it, a quote from Duke Ellington:

"Of all the interviews with musicians I've done, there is one with Duke Ellington that has been a guide for me, not only in writing about music but, in everything else I write and do.  Ellington taught me to avoid categorizing everything."

"The other night I heard a cat on the radio and he was talking about 'modern' jazz.  So he played a record to illustrate his point, and there were devices in that music I heard cats using in the 1920's.  These large words like 'modern' don't mean anything.  Everybody who's had anything to say in this music- all the way back- has been an individualist... I listen for those individualists.  Like Sidney Bechet, Louis Armstrong, Coleman Hawkins and like Charlie Parker was." 
    Contemporary jazz is thriving. My favorites right now are the LA, NYC, UK, Japan and Norway/Sweden scenes.

LA pulls from mostly American influences: post bop, hip hop, fusion, r&b, soul and funk.
    Some of the big names from LA are: Thundercat, Kamasi Washington, Terrence Martin, Cameron Graves, Ryan Porter.

NYC is fucking nuts. John Zorn is a lunatic that does every single genre. check out his projects and the all the folks that work with him... it is a rabbit hole that will consume you for months... everything from jazz/death metal, full on orchestral arrangements and every thing in-between.

The UK has a more traditional feel with elements of world music. Shabaka Hutchings has multiple projects including Sons of Kemet and Comet is Coming, I'm also partial to Mammal Hands, GoGo Penguin and Get the Blessing.

Japan gets a lot of influence from electronica and mathrock... I dig: Mouse on the Keys, Lite, Indigo Jam Unit, Tri4th, Fox Capture Plan

but my obsession lately is the Sweden/Norway scene. Upbeat progressive avant-garde fusion with electronic world music and hip hop beats.
    Elephant9, Goat, Jaga Jazzist, Scorch Trio, Fire, Krokofant, Mumbeak, Moster! and all of the side projects associated with these groups are phenomenal... but anything on the Rune Grammofon or  Hubro record labels is worth checking out.

hope that helps
  • Options
    Mrfixit said:
    brianlux said:

Contemporary jazz is thriving. My favorites right now are the LA, NYC, UK, Japan and Norway/Sweden scenes.

LA pulls from mostly American influences: post bop, hip hop, fusion, r&b, soul and funk.
    Some of the big names from LA are: Thundercat, Kamasi Washington, Terrence Martin, Cameron Graves, Ryan Porter.

NYC is fucking nuts. John Zorn is a lunatic that does every single genre. check out his projects and the all the folks that work with him... it is a rabbit hole that will consume you for months... everything from jazz/death metal, full on orchestral arrangements and every thing in-between.

The UK has a more traditional feel with elements of world music. Shabaka Hutchings has multiple projects including Sons of Kemet and Comet is Coming, I'm also partial to Mammal Hands, GoGo Penguin and Get the Blessing.

Japan gets a lot of influence from electronica and mathrock... I dig: Mouse on the Keys, Lite, Indigo Jam Unit, Tri4th, Fox Capture Plan

but my obsession lately is the Sweden/Norway scene. Upbeat progressive avant-garde fusion with electronic world music and hip hop beats.
    Elephant9, Goat, Jaga Jazzist, Scorch Trio, Fire, Krokofant, Mumbeak, Moster! and all of the side projects associated with these groups are phenomenal... but anything on the Rune Grammofon or  Hubro record labels is worth checking out.

hope that helps

Zorn I am a bit familiar with, the others I don't know.  Thanks for some suggestions for things to check out!

• Options
    I just learned that the song Cantaloop by US3 is the sample of Herby Hancocks Cantaloupe Island.

Now I am getting more into jazz this excited me as I LOVED the US3 version back in the day.
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,750
    Anyone hit that nyc acid jazz period in the 90s? Like US3. Mostly sampling great stuff.
  • Options
    toolietoolie Posts: 388
    Mrfixit said:
    brianlux said:

hope that helps
    There goes my weekend.
  • Options
    mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    Just picked up Coltrane's Both Directions at Once, the Lost Album - really good. Elvin Jones is a monster on the kit. 
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Rediscovery of my old friend Miles.

The other evening, I lit some candles, got nice n high, and blasted Kind of Blue while I took a long hot shower.  Such a perfect mix of mood and sound and sensuality.  The man had some chops.

The Marsalis family's pretty amazing too.

HBO's Treme turned me on to a lot of jazz - I guess that's what you'd call it?  Some form of it, anyway.

The arms of one genre always tickle, maybe even give birth to, another.

• Options
    mschostok said:
    Just picked up Coltrane's Both Directions at Once, the Lost Album - really good. Elvin Jones is a monster on the kit. 

I remember hearing about that record and then somehow it fell off my radar.  My understanding is that it's in that transitional, exploratory period leading up to A Love Supreme.  I must remember to check it out.  Thanks for the reminder!

• Options
    mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    brianlux said:
    mschostok said:

I remember hearing about that record and then somehow it fell off my radar.  My understanding is that it's in that transitional, exploratory period leading up to A Love Supreme.  I must remember to check it out.  Thanks for the reminder!
    You’re exactly right. Really cool tunes on there, definitely worth the purchase if you’re a Trane fan, especially the classic quartet. 
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Options
    mschostok said:
    brianlux said:
    mschostok said:

You’re exactly right. Really cool tunes on there, definitely worth the purchase if you’re a Trane fan, especially the classic quartet. 

That quartet is unbeatable!  And yeah, Elvin Jones, oh man, fantastic!

• Options
    my friend had piles of records mainly jazzish stuff. Walked out with a few goodies. This is ragtimey jazziness. bangs. 1935 baby. I'm always a little late to the party.
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,824
    I have to admit I am not really a jazz listener. But my ex used to love jazz and the one musician that I used to always request him to play was Dave Brubeck. I really like Take Five. I was actually thinking of buying one of his albums with that song on it. 
  • Options

• Options
    Dig those nicknames. Fats, Bugs and Slick...I need one of those.
  • Options
    Laaazzzy Lou
  • Options
    Loujoe said:

Fats! Nice score! 

• Options
    One is a really collectable 'ristic 22' a comp of some of his salvaged trashed recordings. I'm not sick on collecting this stuff but sure it will be something I'll spin into my later years if I'm 'lucky' Lou. 
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    I have to admit I am not really a jazz listener. But my ex used to love jazz and the one musician that I used to always request him to play was Dave Brubeck. I really like Take Five. I was actually thinking of buying one of his albums with that song on it. 
    there are plenty and you cant gobwrobg but would suggest getting "Time Out"

• Options
    new orleans is the greatest city in the world for jazz
    dixieland is top shelf for me.

• Options
    new orleans is the greatest city in the world for jazz
    dixieland is top shelf for me.

I never appreciated Dixieland at all until one day (I think it was maybe 1985) my pop asked if I wanted to go with him to see The Preservation Hall Jazz Band.  I said, "Sure, let's do it."   I wasn't expecting more than just a little much needed bonding time with the old man, but it turned out to be a lot of fun and a great time.  The band played under a big tent and it the whole show had this great festive feel and the musicians- all of whom were old, old guys, really had the stuff.  It was great!