SNOWFLAKE?

13»

Comments

• brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    meh, we're all snowflakes from time to time, I would imagine. 

Exactly.
    I've had people tell me, "Don't get you panties in a knot."  Well, the truth is, I've never worn panties.  I did wear one of my wife's dresses once though.  Now that might have been cause to call me a snowflake.  Or just plain ugly

So with that in mind, I give you Snowflakes:
    Frank Zappa  The Mothers of Invention - Take your clothes off when you  dance 1968 mix - YouTube

Wouldn’t you attribute that more to a saying that’s been around for a long time, something that’s isn’t literal?  Correct me if I’m wrong, but now we are entering the era of sayings that have been around forever but are just now being called offensive.  I agree, it can be offensive, but let’s not pretend it wasn’t common to saying, and there is no malice behind it.  There should be a buffer to let people know that something is now offensive.  And as we move towards this direction, will we ever address the N word?  Division stems from one group that can while another group can’t.  I’m just curious where you see the line, where the line should be, and what to do about common vocular that does harm when there is no malice behind it.

Lines?  I don't know lines, do lines, or draw within or without lines.  I only know what makes sense and go with that.
    What makes sense then? No lines on the table, open platform for you to elaborate and explain your position.  

Bottom line, it makes sense to not call people names.  I'm not big on labels either. Fir example, what is conservative?  What is liberal?  How can one term describe a continuum? 

As for your N word speculation, that's old news.  There is no longer any need to address that term.  I mean, you may, of course, but why?
    But who decides when it is calling names?  Your ideology and philosophy is nice, but it doesn't have any substance.  Okay, and more importantly, did you ever subscribe to calling or approving in the last four years Trump supporters Nazis?  Nazi carries a very nasty history behind it.  What determines a good label or a bad one, and how do we control that?  Sorry, accidentally hit enter earlier and it posted a half thought.

Oh, wait!  So I did say something.  Well then...

Who decides when it is name calling? 
    It's intuitive.  You know.  I know.

What ideology and philosophy? 
    If I have either, there is no name for either so I'm not sure what you mean.

Did I ever, in the last four years [remember to separate prepositional phrases], subscribe to calling or approve of calling  Trump supporters Nazi's? 
    No.

What controls a good label or a bad one, and how do we control that? 
    I don't think there is such a thing as a "good label" or a "bad label", I'm just not a big fan of using them.  I don't see how you can pigeonhole a person with one word.  For example, I don't refer to myself as "conservative" or "liberal".  I would tend to say something like:

"I am generally more liberal than conservative, but in some ways I am also conservative.  And I would not refer to myself as being "moderate" because I see that term as implying one who is not committed, who lacks will and spirit." 

See what I mean?  How would you label that?

And I have no idea how anyone would control all that.  I guess they don't.
    Lets start with name calling.  You say it's intuitive.  Is it really, or is that just an assumption you making thinking everyone thinks the same as you do?
  • Reading your posts I've read, I don't think it's unfair to come to any sort of conclusion that your philosophy and ideology is that people should be free of economic choices and there should be some sort of system to back that up.  Everyone regardless is equal and should be treated such, regardless if there were any laws broken.  And if there was a law broken it is most definitely a Republican fault.  I don't think I'm too far off from forming that conclusion from your posts here.  
  • brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Exactly.
    I've had people tell me, "Don't get you panties in a knot."  Well, the truth is, I've never worn panties.  I did wear one of my wife's dresses once though.  Now that might have been cause to call me a snowflake.  Or just plain ugly

Frank Zappa  The Mothers of Invention - Take your clothes off when you  dance 1968 mix - YouTube

Wouldn’t you attribute that more to a saying that’s been around for a long time, something that’s isn’t literal?  Correct me if I’m wrong, but now we are entering the era of sayings that have been around forever but are just now being called offensive.  I agree, it can be offensive, but let’s not pretend it wasn’t common to saying, and there is no malice behind it.  There should be a buffer to let people know that something is now offensive.  And as we move towards this direction, will we ever address the N word?  Division stems from one group that can while another group can’t.  I’m just curious where you see the line, where the line should be, and what to do about common vocular that does harm when there is no malice behind it.

Lines?  I don't know lines, do lines, or draw within or without lines.  I only know what makes sense and go with that.
    What makes sense then? No lines on the table, open platform for you to elaborate and explain your position.  

Bottom line, it makes sense to not call people names.  I'm not big on labels either. Fir example, what is conservative?  What is liberal?  How can one term describe a continuum? 

As for your N word speculation, that's old news.  There is no longer any need to address that term.  I mean, you may, of course, but why?
    But who decides when it is calling names?  Your ideology and philosophy is nice, but it doesn't have any substance.  Okay, and more importantly, did you ever subscribe to calling or approving in the last four years Trump supporters Nazis?  Nazi carries a very nasty history behind it.  What determines a good label or a bad one, and how do we control that?  Sorry, accidentally hit enter earlier and it posted a half thought.

Did I ever, in the last four years [remember to separate prepositional phrases], subscribe to calling or approve of calling  Trump supporters Nazi's? 
    No.

I don't think there is such a thing as a "good label" or a "bad label", I'm just not a big fan of using them.  I don't see how you can pigeonhole a person with one word.  For example, I don't refer to myself as "conservative" or "liberal".  I would tend to say something like:

"I am generally more liberal than conservative, but in some ways I am also conservative.  And I would not refer to myself as being "moderate" because I see that term as implying one who is not committed, who lacks will and spirit." 

Lets start with name calling.  You say it's intuitive.  Is it really, or is that just an assumption you making thinking everyone thinks the same as you do?
    And since it is just intuitive, I suppose there is no line that could be drawn between acceptable and non acceptable name calling.  Am I correct in your thought process here?
  • Don’t try to think to hard here, just simple questions being asked for you to defend your narrative.  And before turning it around and asking me questions, aside from that’s a cheap debate tactic to pull when you don’t have an answer, just keep in mind you don’t have an answer and all I’m doing is asking questions.  Just look for a good defense on what you are posting.  I gots no problem saying great point.  Just here to actually learn
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Reading your posts I've read, I don't think it's unfair to come to any sort of conclusion that your philosophy and ideology is that people should be free of economic choices and there should be some sort of system to back that up.  Everyone regardless is equal and should be treated such, regardless if there were any laws broken.  And if there was a law broken it is most definitely a Republican fault.  I don't think I'm too far off from forming that conclusion from your posts here.  
    I would label this as both 'unfair' and 'far off'

Is this some little thought experiment where you show a liberal how nasty it is to intentionally mischaracterize their position, or is this your honest appraisal? 

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,426
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Exactly.

No.

right being called a pearl jam fan would infer I like backspacer and its sequel. you would be wrong. at least on backspacer for sure.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Exactly.

You have successfully said nothing.  I definitely think the N word needs to be addressed.  I has become mainstream word popularized in music that is accessible to all and in movies that make it equally accessible, but yet only certain people can say it.  Why is that?  Don't tell me about the history, but yet now when certain people use it its uplifting.  What about a 10 year today that just listens to pop-culture, are they now supposed to be resounded with the word, but because of their skin color they cant use it?  You are better than a lame duck answer Mr Blux.
    The N word was addresdsed on here.  I started the thread.  Feel free to add to it as it's been dormant for a bit.
    https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/282067/the-n-word