The video game thread.

Comments

• MayDay10 said:
    Overall, its not too impressive.  Presentation and all that are outstanding.  Not a big fan of their menus and interface.  

Tried ultimate team and it was rather confusing/boring.  I have been playing the MLB The Show Diamond Dynasty and that blows MUT out of the water IMO.  I will give it another chance, but overall wasnt a big fan.

Yes, there is franchise.  That is what I dove into.  Lots of options.  Again, the interface wasnt great.  Madden games for me arent well balanced, which is why I havent been able to get into them for years.  My games are very low scoring without much stat compilation or realism.  I can either have a 20-play, 75 yard drive that eats more than a quarter.... go 3 and out 10 straight time.... or get lucky on a prayer bomb pass to get 40 yards.  Games are like 16-14, 10-3, and such.  I wish I could master the sliders.  
    I play The Show a lot more than I play Madden and all I play on The Show is Diamond Dynasty. I agree it's better than MUT. Lots more you can do. I especially liked the addition of "Showdowns" in Diamond Dynasty this year. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    MayDay10 said:
    Overall, its not too impressive.  Presentation and all that are outstanding.  Not a big fan of their menus and interface.  

Tried ultimate team and it was rather confusing/boring.  I have been playing the MLB The Show Diamond Dynasty and that blows MUT out of the water IMO.  I will give it another chance, but overall wasnt a big fan.

Yes, there is franchise.  That is what I dove into.  Lots of options.  Again, the interface wasnt great.  Madden games for me arent well balanced, which is why I havent been able to get into them for years.  My games are very low scoring without much stat compilation or realism.  I can either have a 20-play, 75 yard drive that eats more than a quarter.... go 3 and out 10 straight time.... or get lucky on a prayer bomb pass to get 40 yards.  Games are like 16-14, 10-3, and such.  I wish I could master the sliders.  
    I play The Show a lot more than I play Madden and all I play on The Show is Diamond Dynasty. I agree it's better than MUT. Lots more you can do. I especially liked the addition of "Showdowns" in Diamond Dynasty this year. 
    I love the showdowns... at least the concept of them.  Never beat one.  I would love for them to allow for some sort of continue or something.  You could buy it with Stubs, or maybe you lose a player or 2 and can try again?

The moments are good too for the most part, although some threaten to send me to an early grave via stroke.  I do think it is a little 'moment-heavy'.

I really like the Events and the variability on that.  Conquest Maps are great.  I would like a bit more offline content, but it is what it is.  

A huge draw for Diamond Dynasty is the historic players.  I dont think they have that on Madden, nor does the NFL have as many recognizable, iconic, historic players as you can draw out of MLB
  • MayDay10 said:
    MayDay10 said:

I love the showdowns... at least the concept of them.  Never beat one.  I would love for them to allow for some sort of continue or something.  You could buy it with Stubs, or maybe you lose a player or 2 and can try again?

The moments are good too for the most part, although some threaten to send me to an early grave via stroke.  I do think it is a little 'moment-heavy'.

I really like the Events and the variability on that.  Conquest Maps are great.  I would like a bit more offline content, but it is what it is.  

A huge draw for Diamond Dynasty is the historic players.  I dont think they have that on Madden, nor does the NFL have as many recognizable, iconic, historic players as you can draw out of MLB
    They have some legendary players on Madden, but not even close to as many as The Show does. I have Dan Marino on my MUT for example. But there are so many more legend players on The Show, and they add new ones every year. Maddux, Smoltz, and Glavine were added for the first time this year, as was Mickey Mantle. And other legends go back as far as Cy Young and Ty Cobb.

I've beaten a few showdowns, but they are tough. I did a conquest map a few years ago, but I thought it was kind of repetitive. And unlike Madden, where I'm not good enough to compete online and win much, I've pretty good at The Show so I mostly play online in Diamond Dynasty, with the exception of Showdowns and Moments. 

I also like Battle Royals because they're only three inning games, and you can always draft a new team. So you can get three games in in the time you'd get one regular game in. Never really got into Events, though it seems similar to Battle Royale. A lot of times I don't have the right players to make a squad. 

Some legends I'd like to see in The Show that haven't been there yet are DiMaggio, Randy Johnson, and Sandy Koufax. I just went down the entire list of baseball hall of famers and it's astounding how many have been in The Show. Madden on the other hand has never even had Bradshaw, Staubach, Unitas, or Namath. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    Even if they went way back, with a few exceptions, nobody would work, other than the most notable skill players, mainly 1970 and onward.  Nobody (except me maybe) would get excited for a Sonny Jurgensen, YA Tittle, or a George Blanda card.  Also, not sure how those players would work in today's arcade-like NFL and Madden game.  Baseball is just universal.

The Show is a really good product though.  
  • MayDay10 said:
    Even if they went way back, with a few exceptions, nobody would work, other than the most notable skill players, mainly 1970 and onward.  Nobody (except me maybe) would get excited for a Sonny Jurgensen, YA Tittle, or a George Blanda card.  Also, not sure how those players would work in today's arcade-like NFL and Madden game.  Baseball is just universal.

The Show is a really good product though.  
    And it's much improved, and continues to improve (unlike Madden). I remember in the PS3 days there were a lot of online issues like freezing with The Show. But everything runs smooth now. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    I've been playing PGA 2K21. Liking the changes in game play from The Golf Club 2019 to this game.

Also really looking forward to the Tony Hawk 1 and 2 remasters coming out this week. Obviously for the nostalgia but also because I know I'm going to spend a lot of time on the skatepark creator. 
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    FYI, loading up on Xbox live and then switching to Ultimate Game Pass for a 1:1 month membership exchange still works.
  • Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658

Playing Mario 3D All stars. Played Galaxy first and that is my all time favorite Mario game ( Galaxy 2 was better but would not have been there if not for the first one )  got all 120 stars.

Have around 55 stars on Mario 64 , I was a freshman in college when it came out in 96 , I remember playing this game to death but does not hold up as well as I thought , still pretty fun , you need 70 stars to get to bowser so I plan on getting that many and then stopping.

Mario Sunshine - I need to give it more time , I though it was a "ok" Mario game when it first came out on Gamecube but going back to it , I don't like the water back as you cannot do a backflip or a few other moves I wanted to do. Also maybe the mapping of the controls but it seems so much more difficult then I remember it.

• I'm playing Animal Crossing and loving it, thanks for the Mario update @Matts3221 do you or does anyone have a Switch Hoop? I'm thinking of getting one for Christmas but wouldn't mind hearing some reviews first? Thanks
    What is a switch hoop ? I honestly don’t know.

Also Mario Sunshine is growing on me. I would suggest playing it first or if you play another Mario game just play something else for a couple weeks and then come back to sunshine. Controls are so different than other Mario games but once you get it down it is a blast to play. 
  • I love Mario, I'd like to get that too. I enjoyed Mario 64 but found some levels a bit difficult (which shouldn't really be a barrier as I can ask him indoors to help as he completed it many times). 

Apparently the hoop is actually called Ring Fit Adventure:

• I love Mario, I'd like to get that too. I enjoyed Mario 64 but found some levels a bit difficult (which shouldn't really be a barrier as I can ask him indoors to help as he completed it many times). 

Apparently the hoop is actually called Ring Fit Adventure:

Getting all the stars in Tick-Tok Clock and Rainbow Ride can be tough for sure. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    Mentioned this before that my friend works for Bethesda in Maryland. A few weeks ago Microsoft bought them for $7.5 Million.

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly

Need For Speed - Payback

Being playing this shit out of this over the past two weeks , free PlayStation Plus title this month. I loved the Burnout Series on PS2 and Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2 on PS3.

All other ones have been meh , I do find this one pretty fun , that said I skip all the story because I just want to race.  

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    NFS Hot Pursuit is getting a remastered release on 11/6 for i think $40.  It is one of the few that I raced to 100% completion and probably the last good NFS I've played.  I'm not huge on the 'underground" street racing storyline.  leave the storybook and give me some supercars, nitro, EMP weaponry and some goddamn choppers!
    Next Gen Notes:

Microsoft sent out fully functional Series X about 3 weeks ago to a pretty good number or reputable gaming sites with very little oversight other then they can't use the word "review", but they have been free to "preview" all they want.  They have not been able to really test it with next gen games to give the hardware a serious test.  The big takeaway is the load times are what everyone will be impressed with ... not sexy, but probably true.  Also of note is that the units are whisper quite (fan noise and heat were some of my biggest concerns heading into next gen).  It's also not as big as I pictured in my mind.

Sony sent out PS5's to a few of the bigger gaming sites over the past weekend.  Sony has allowed them to post pictures of the box it shipped in ... and no further commenting.  Seems odd only a few weeks away from launch.  Either Sony is going to do something to knock our socks off or strange things are afoot at the Circle K.

Also, on the Bethesda storyline, Microsoft isn't going to say it but it looks more clear from articles I've read that future Elder Scrolls and Fallout games will be microsoft exclusive.  
    Also of note on next gen, storage space is going to be a huge issue from the onset.  The reason these systems will have super fast load times is because they use SSD storage which is expensive.  Series X has 1 TB, but after the system OS probably has 850 GB for games.  Sony PS5 has 825 GB but after the OS it may be around 700 GB or less.  The new Spider Man game alone uses 105 GB, even if you buy the disc.  By the time you purchase your 6th or 7th game you may need to already be doing storage management. 

There are expansion slots but expanded storage will be expensive.  Series X has 1 TB SSD expansion listed at over $200.  I have no idea if Sony has announced anything.  You can use cheaper portable USB hard drive to play current gen games (at least on xbox series x)
    Yeah that expansion is 300 Canadian. I'll wait for the 3rd party versions, hopefully they're a little more affordable.
    I also have the 2TB Seagate I'm using with my XB1, I'll use that for storage and copy games to the XSX SSD when I want to use them - typically I am only playing 2 or 3 games at a time anyway.
    The storage thing is one of the main reasons I do not plan to take the plunge for awhile.  It is/was highly annoying dealing with the PS4.  

I also dont play the PS4 a ton.  Not worth the investment.

I think I will wait a bit.  See what the situation is with the next Elder Scrolls game, and see what sort of storage solutions present themselves.  Maybe even go with a new desktop PC instead this round.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    Does anyone have any PC games they can recommend?  Are there any PC gamers here?
    I got a gaming rig a few weeks back and have only played MS Flight Sim 2020 on it.

I really know nothing of PC gaming but want to get into it more now that I have one.
    mca47 said:
    Does anyone have any PC games they can recommend?  Are there any PC gamers here?
    I got a gaming rig a few weeks back and have only played MS Flight Sim 2020 on it.

I really know nothing of PC gaming but want to get into it more now that I have one.

Civ IV can be played on anything but is a PC game at heart.  If you have a racing setup and want to race realistic you can try iRacing.  The Command and Conquer Remastered is pretty fun and a trip down memory lane if you played Red Alert back in the day and it is only 20 bucks.

For new PC games that I would like to play, Crusader Kings III looks pretty cool.  But I played Crusader Kings II and it was dense ... so make sure it is a genre you like which is detailed empire building.
    Cyberpunk 2077 delayed into December now.  The next gen improvements may finish when the next next gen arrives ...
    Fallout 76 continues to get better and better.  It is a completely different game then what first came out.  They make it easy to team up with groups which can give you bonuses and access to special op missions.   The human NPC's came out in spring which changed the entire vibe of the game and made the map seem full instead of big and empty.  There is a Brotherhood of Steel rumor stirring.  I'm still discovering little tricks and bonus upgrades.  The most recent update makes it so new players can play with high ranked players by scaling enemies per your level.

Before the updates this game really hit a slog by level 30 ... just felt like a chore.  Now it seems like i'm advancing a level a day with the daily incentive missions they have. 
    Jason P said:
    mca47 said:

Civ IV 
    Lol.  I was going to post the same thing.  Civ IV is the greatest game ever IMO, and it is still my go-to many years later.  Every game is new and it is challenging.... even when they are on VI (IMO V and VI are just crap).

If youre into Sims, Civ IV is the way to go.  Also Hearts of Iron IV is a great WWII game.  Crusader Kings is also a complex strategy game, but a large learning curve.  
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    MayDay10 said:
    Jason P said:
    mca47 said:

Civ IV 
    Lol.  I was going to post the same thing.  Civ IV is the greatest game ever IMO, and it is still my go-to many years later.  Every game is new and it is challenging.... even when they are on VI (IMO V and VI are just crap).

If youre into Sims, Civ IV is the way to go.  Also Hearts of Iron IV is a great WWII game.  Crusader Kings is also a complex strategy game, but a large learning curve.  
    I don't play PC games anymore, but Civ IV wasted many hours of my evening/early morning. Addictive as hell. Always fun to build a bunch of ICBMs and destroy the world. That was back when I was playing the original COD, Tiger Woods PGA 2004 and Elder Scrolls III in rotation. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
    Jason P said:
    NFS Hot Pursuit is getting a remastered release on 11/6 for i think $40.  It is one of the few that I raced to 100% completion and probably the last good NFS I've played.  I'm not huge on the 'underground" street racing storyline.  leave the storybook and give me some supercars, nitro, EMP weaponry and some goddamn choppers!

I have to say yes to all of this. Was one of only 6 games I have ever platinumed on PlayStation. Not a trophy chaser just happened to play NSF Hot Pursuit to death. I would so drop 40 bucks on a remaster. Thank you for making my day ! 
    Got my Series X thru Target (got one of the initial pre-orders) the other day.  Just unboxed it.  It is much smaller then expected.  Looks like a little compact subwoofer.  Pretty much blends in if you have a black setup.  You sign in with the Xbox App when you fire it up and it just transposes all your data from your old xbox ... just go to your game library and choose what you want to download.  The TV calibration walk-thru really helped out ... looks better for everything now. 

Controller looks the same but feels like a much better ergo fit at first feel.  Seems like the sticks and buttons are spaced just right so hopefully that results in less strain.  PS4 controllers left stick placement starting to bother me in my later years.  But nothing fancy like the PS5 controller.

It's downloading some games so nothing else to really report on.  I'm gonna try Forza 4 Horizon and then try my fanatac racing wheel on Forza 7 to see if it is compatible.

With Halo delayed there are no sexy new games but Forza 4 Horizon has been optimized so I will be able to see how dramatic the changes are.

I got my Series X through MS and it arrived yesterday.  I can't play anything longer than 10 minutes before the console crashes.  Back it goes.  No Series X for me this year!
    Rygar said:
    I got my Series X through MS and it arrived yesterday.  I can't play anything longer than 10 minutes before the console crashes.  Back it goes.  No Series X for me this year!

oh no!  maybe there will be an update that can fix it hopefully.  that sucks.