What are your top 3 live bands?

Comments

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,595
    Awesome! I get a feeling you are the true legend Brian. Write that book man. I'll read it.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    mr bungle said:
    vito said:
    The Who
    Radiohead 
    PJ
    Great call on Radiohead!!  They are barely outside my top 3
    Same. They’re at 4 or 5 for me.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Loujoe said:
    Awesome! I get a feeling you are the true legend Brian. Write that book man. I'll read it.
    Very kind of you to say, Loujoe, but no, not a legend, just another guy in the crowd.
    I wrote this a few years ago.   If you're interested, I've priced them a few cents less than they cost me to have them printed. 
    Someday, I need to do another edition to include a chapter about Steve Wynn and The Dream Syndicate.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    brianlux said:
    Loujoe said:
    Pearl jam
    Primus
    Murphys Law

Some years ago, my wife introduced me to a fellow named Larry who is the son-in-law of a good friend of hers.  She didn't mention that this fellows nick name is "Ler" and he plays in a band. So at the time, I had no idea who I had just met!

Larry, you're a bastard!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Purdy soon Ler e shouted fishon...fishhhhhonnn
    brianlux said:
    Loujoe said:
    Very kind of you to say, Loujoe, but no, not a legend, just another guy in the crowd.
    I wrote this a few years ago.   If you're interested, I've priced them a few cents less than they cost me to have them printed. 
    Someday, I need to do another edition to include a chapter about Steve Wynn and The Dream Syndicate.

Nice. Will check it out.
  • ST66483ST66483 Posts: 673
    Brian’s book is definitely worth a read!
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    brianlux said:
    Loujoe said:

i still want this book. i don't care about shipping rates brian. pm me the deets and i'll send you the mo-NAY
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited October 2020
    Got 1. Sign it for me Brian. You are a legend as one of the crowd. We rock!
    Post edited by Loujoe on
  • vitovito Chicago Posts: 1,434
    edited October 2020
    mr bungle said:
    vito said:
    The Who
    Radiohead 
    PJ
    Great call on Radiohead!!  They are barely outside my top 3
    The 2001 show at Hutchinson Field in Grant Park not to be confused with their Lallopallooza show years later was on another realm. Very few bands have taken me into that orbit but, that night they were on another level and were completely inspired by the dramatic backdrop of the Chicago skyline.
    Post edited by vito on
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1992
    SUMMERFEST MILWAUKEE 1995
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1998
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO1998
    THOMPSON-BOLING ARENA KNOXVILLE 1998
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2000
    ALLSTATE ARENA ROSEMONT 2000
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2003
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    AIR CANADA CENTRE TORONTO 2005
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2009
    NATIONWIDE ARENA COLUMBUS 2010
    PJ20 NIGHT 1 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    PJ20 NIGHT 2 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    1ST MARINER ARENA BALTIMORE 2013
    IWIRELESS CENTER MOLINE 2014
    XCEL ENERGY CENTER ST. PAUL 2014
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2016 
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2016
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2018
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2018
    BOSTON 2 Fenway Park 2018
    ENTERPRISE CENTER SAINT LOUIS 2022
    Eddie Vedder Auditorium Theatre CHICAGO 2008

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    Tough to pick just 3 as many have said, probably have to be:
    Pearl Jam
    U2
    The Who

PJ needs no explanation here.

U2 always brings it live, even if some of the tours are a tad too scripted. They do usually vary things (just a few song) on multiple nights here in Boston, so I've seen some rare stuff (seen Crystal Ballroom performed one of only 2 times, saw them do a 3 encore show on my birthday on the Vertigo tour where they ended with Fast Cars). There's certain cities that they shake things up a bit in, and fortunately this is one as they first broke in the US on Boston radio (RIP WBCN).

Too young to have seen The Who with Keith, but saw them a number of times with John, that man was a force. First show I saw after he passed the opening notes of Baba were sorely lacking in the crunch they had with Entwhistle. The band played with a fury and energy that is largely unmatched in rock history.

Hard to leave Bruce and the E Street Band off the list, undeniably one of the great all time live acts. They'll be first runner up.
    Other runners up would include Van Halen, Iggy Pop, J Geils Band, Motley Crue and Scorpions.

This weekend we rock Portland
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    clayton12 said:
    Easily My Morning Jacket.

Pearl Jam

Drive By Truckers.
    Yep. Deftones are also great. McCartney put on the best concert I’ve ever seen. Those 3 are consistently the best for me too though. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    PJ
    Springsteen
    Roger Waters
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    ComeToTX said:
    clayton12 said:

Pearl Jam

Drive By Truckers.
    Yep. Deftones are also great. McCartney put on the best concert I’ve ever seen. Those 3 are consistently the best for me too though. 
    forgot about mccartney. he was in my top 5 shows ever too. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• 1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,825
    edited December 2020
    Pearl Jam
    Radiohead (2018 shout-out - they really sounded the best I have ever heard them)
    My Morning Jacket 
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,383
    edited December 2020
    edited - duplicate post 
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • clayton12clayton12 Athens, GA Posts: 320
    I didnt mention them in my top three, but boy Guided By Voices are amazing live. Still hard to wrap my head around how Bob does it.
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    edited December 2020
    ComeToTX said:
    clayton12 said:

Pearl Jam

Drive By Truckers.
    Sir Paul is my #1 have-not-seen-gotta-see-play artist. I'm hoping to go w/ my family on a road trip somewhere to see him play once things get back to normal.
    brianlux said:
    Loujoe said:

Very cool, @brianlux ! Just ordered a copy. Looking forward to reading it :sunglasses:
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    Pearl Jam
    Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band
    AC DC

The first two were a no brainer for me.   Springsteen is the only live performance I feel is on par with PJ.   Excellent live shows, varied set lists, generates huge energy from the audience, and plays epicly long setlists.

I wasn't sure on my #3.  I went with AC/DC because there the only other band I would place in my top 5 concerts I've seen.   The problem is that the show I rank was an outdoor show in Edmonton, where thunder/lightning storms were in almost every direction, and it pissed rain the whole time.  The concern kind of became a fight of both the fans and the band to fight through it.   It made for one helluva epic performance.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited December 2020
    jjflash said:
    brianlux said:
    Loujoe said:

Very cool, @brianlux ! Just ordered a copy. Looking forward to reading it :sunglasses:

Thank you, jjflash!  The book will be on it's way soon!  :smile: 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• The National
    Daft Punk
    LCD Soundsystem
    LCD even though they play the same set?
  • Thee Oh Sees
    Dillinger Escape Plan
    Pearl Jam
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,275
    jjflash said:
    ComeToTX said:
    clayton12 said:

Pearl Jam

Drive By Truckers.
    Sir Paul is my #1 have-not-seen-gotta-see-play artist. I'm hoping to go w/ my family on a road trip somewhere to see him play once things get back to normal.
    How have you missed McCartney?  Logistics or choice?  He's been all over the country/globe multiple times over the last 20 years.  Just curious.  Anyways. Yes, you need to see him as soon as you get the chance!
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    mr bungle said:
    jjflash said:
    ComeToTX said:
    clayton12 said:

Pearl Jam

Drive By Truckers.
    How have you missed McCartney?  Logistics or choice?  He's been all over the country/globe multiple times over the last 20 years.  Just curious.  Anyways. Yes, you need to see him as soon as you get the chance!
    Agreed. McCartney was definitely one of the best live shows I have ever seen. The crowd energy was off the charts as well.

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    My Morning Jacket
    Pearl Jam
    Queens of the Stone Age
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • While they aren't my top three, I have to give a shout out to Iggy Pop & St Vincent. 

I've only seen them once each, But Iggy & Annie Clark each owned their stages like no one I had ever seen, and had the crowd eating from the palm of their hands. It was really awesome to see as a fringe fan of each act.   
    mr bungle said:
    jjflash said:
    ComeToTX said:
    clayton12 said:

Pearl Jam

Drive By Truckers.
    Good question. A little of both, I guess. A couple of years ago if finally hit me: Why in the world haven't I seen Sir Paul play? :whistle: I'm in Birmingham so ATL or Nash are both easy road trips. Legacy acts, for the most part, weren't a big priority in my early adult years. Infants/young 'uns then limited travel to out of town shows. Now that the kids are a bit older and have been exposed to lots of The Beatles' music in the car/home/etc it's important to me for them (and me too) to see him while he's healthy. 
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    GlowGirl said:
    mr bungle said:
    jjflash said:
    ComeToTX said:
    clayton12 said:

Pearl Jam

Drive By Truckers.
    Agreed. McCartney was definitely one of the best live shows I have ever seen. The crowd energy was off the charts as well.

Always great seeing Paul live....especially since he has such a big catalog from which to choose his setlist!
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    I saw Paul McCartney live less than 10 years ago.  It was at BC Place in Vancouver.   The show was pretty good, but only the front of the floor was standing.  Everyone else was sitting down.  

Great show and great songs, but it wasn't like a PJ or Springsteen show when it feels like everyone in the vanue is on their feet rocking out.    Then again I'm usually at the front of those shows so I wouldn't notice if people were sitting in the back.  McCartney tickets were so expensive we bought 2nd row tickets on the upper deck to keep costs under control.