River Cross - wow....just.....wow

2»

Comments

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    on2legs said:
    I like it but it definitely screams Ed solo to me when I listen.  That shouldn’t distract me but it does for some reason.  But I like it. 
    He played it on his dolor tour, right? So it is an Ed solo.
    But exponentially better than when PJ “covered” seeping by myself from the Uke album.
  • HendonesiaHendonesia Posts: 106
    I love knowing you guys think River Cross is beautiful. From the first time I heard it, all I could think of was Imagine.

"Share the light, won't hold us down."
    "Society..you're a crazy breed. I hope you're not lonely without me.."
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    I love knowing you guys think River Cross is beautiful. From the first time I heard it, all I could think of was Imagine.

"Share the light, won't hold us down."
    I don't see a similarity at all tbh
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    on2legs said:
    I like it but it definitely screams Ed solo to me when I listen.  That shouldn’t distract me but it does for some reason.  But I like it. 
    Same...I don't quite understand why there are so many solo songs to be honest.  I know they have material.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,378
    edited March 2020
    mace1229 said:
    on2legs said:
    He played it on his dolor tour, right? So it is an Ed solo.
    But exponentially better than when PJ “covered” seeping by myself from the Uke album.
    I know it’s his song.  But it screams his style. And it’s distracting to me.  I still like the song and appreciate it but I just it sounded more like Pearl Jam and less like a solo song.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• clampinoclampino cumbria,uk Posts: 31
    7 o’clock and river cross are absolutely amazing , cannot stop playing.
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,650
    Am I the only one that breaks down in tears to the end of this song? Don’t hold us down? Every time. Great tune.
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,650
    DEGBTI said:
    saw Ed sing it live at Ohana, amazing! Looking forward to hearing it tomorrow!
    Me too, very very cool we got to see the 1st live rendition of any of these amazing songs!  Looking forward to Ohana 2020 to see a lot more!
    Ed played this song in 2017 at pilgrimage festival. I was front row.
  • Patrick_Sea3Patrick_Sea3 West Seattle Posts: 889
    Favorite song
  • edited March 2020
    Interesting. It’s in my bottom 3 songs on the album. I just don’t seem to connect with it. I don’t skip it - like I will with Buckle Up (I gave it 4 tries), and depending on my mood I can appreciate it. I think it has to do with me not really liking an organ in songs. I wish they toured without a full time organist and only jumped on one when necessary - Sorry Boom. 
    Post edited by Ralphie’s Footsteps on
  • Darth Lizard KingDarth Lizard King Posts: 76
    edited March 2020
    Post deleted
    Post edited by Sea on
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    clampino said:
    Agree
  • baggio16baggio16 Posts: 29
    clampino said:
    I think River Cross is one of their best songs ever. Some reason it just resonates with me right now.

7 O'clock is the song I was hoping they'd make on this album. Brilliant. 

This is the album I had no clue they could still make, but better than I could imagine they could have made. 
  • PianoManKDPianoManKD Posts: 125
    clampino said:
    Me too - I find myself skipping to these two most times when listening to the record. Hoping the others grow on me!
  • tonywellingtontonywellington Posts: 41
    edited March 2020
    Share the light, won't hold us down - Ends the thematic, idea that this no time to give up, we can still make it better. It's in every song. 

"Whoever said it's all been said Gave up on satisfaction",
    "Don't allow for hopelessness, focus on your focusness"
    "That's not a negative thought, I'm positive"

To listen for a heartbeat, it's your own 

"This fucked-up situation calls for all hands, hands on deck,"
    "Much to be done... Much to be done,"
    "So I say til then... Never say goodbye,"
    "Now's the time to resurface,"
    "Firstly do no harm,Then put your seatbelt on,Buckle up,"
    In the face of rejection I'm trying," 
    "Things are better than right now,"
    "Share the light, won't hold us down" 

Not a concept album, but that idea runs through every song. 

Post edited by tonywellington on
    Barrie 1992 
    Toronto 2003
    Kitchener 2005
    London 2005
    Toronto 1 2006
    Cleveland 2006
    Toronto 2009
    Toronto 2011
    Hamilton 2011
    London, Ont 2013
    Buffalo 2013
    Detroit 2014
    Toronto 1 2016
    Toronto 2 2016
    Hamilton 2022
    Toronto 2022
  • droptheleash9droptheleash9 Posts: 1,327
    Share the light, won't hold us down - Ends the thematic, idea that this no time to give up, we can still make it better. It's in every song. 
    Love this song and how it's a hopeful end to the album. It truly was the perfect song to perform for the Global Citizen event. I feel like I could see this taking the place of indifference as a slow closer.
  • TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,447
    I've always said the big difference between PJ and Nirvana was that Nirvana's message was always one of doom and gloom where PJ's message was yes there is doom and gloom but also hope! 
  • chittychitty Posts: 574
    I am about ten listens into the album and I can't stop singing this song. It is definitely my current favourite on the album
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    really makes me think of into the wild. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• JT167846JT167846 Posts: 779
    I like it but don't love it yet. You can tell there's an emotional intensity to it right off the bat but whenever I've listened to I haven't been in the frame of mind to fully absorb and process its intensity. And I've listened to the album a shit ton. I'll get there though. Maybe because it comes  straight after my favourite part of the album I come down a bit? Who knows. 
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • River Cross sounds a LOT like Memory of a Free Festival by David Bowie.