Should Amy Coney Barrett be appointed to the SCOTUS?

tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
edited September 2020 in A Moving Train
Now that we've got a nominee, let the discussion of her possible appointment commence! Should she be appointed or are republicans playing by their own rules to stack the courts unfairly? Personally, my only issue is that Obama couldn't seat a justice with over 9 months to go before election, but republicans don't care about that this time claiming the very pathetic argument that the people chose a republican senate and president. Uh, last time I checked I can't control the senate majority with my state votes. I'd prefer a balance of power, but it seems that isn't happening these days.

Anyway, as usual this nominee comes with the typical concerns among liberals and vehement denials from conservatives that personal beliefs will impact the historical cases of Roe v. Wade and other key equality cases.

Here are 2 differing opinions for why Barrett's personal beliefs won't impact her bench decisions and why they will based on previous statements and her judicial record.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/09/26/ive-known-amy-coney-barrett-15-years-liberals-have-nothing-fear/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-bombshell-consequences-of-amy-coney-barrett/2020/09/25/3531ab9c-ff6f-11ea-8d05-9beaaa91c71f_story.html?_gl=1*1j21uf9*_ga*dGZKbzZBVm9YRXdXcVRtUlhfUHhPaFhPZjFiRlFxc3c2UmpmZWdhMS1uY1B0MW9NX205ZHNZUlVocE04cV9pOq..

It's a hopeless situation...

Should Amy Coney Barrett be appointed to the SCOTUS? 43 votes

Yes
20%
GVN2FLY NDMayDay10mvwPJPOWERWMAmoricanmace1229OnWis97joseph33RobZ 9 votes
No
76%
cincybearcatgimmesometruth27jeffbrdarwinstheoryigotid88lastexit78a5pjThorns2010stuckinlineParksyalex_scmfc2006PJ1973tbergsBentleyspopTim SimmonsSmellymanHesCalledDyerGlowGirlGern Blansten 33 votes
I'm not sure
2%
tempo_n_groove 1 vote
It doesn't matter
0%

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    wont answer yet. inclined to say no based solely on mcconnells actions for the past 12 years.

but here we are, so I want to learn more about her brief(all to brief) judicial record before committing.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    edited September 2020
    Ugh, do we really have to see her name at the top of the forum?

the question doesn’t matter, she will be on the Court and it will have a deeply conservative bias for decades unless the Dems play hardball.

the only way to take back this Mcconnellonian power grab is to add congress seats, add electoral votes, and senators/states from DC and PR

Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    No
    She shouldn't.  She probably will be.  Fuck 2020.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    Yes
    I could vote no or yes based on the way "should" is framed.  Should this hard-core of a conservative be appointed?  Yes.  It's their president and their Senate.  It's unfortunate that the Senate and the electoral college skew to the minority but that is where we are.

Should the GOP get this through, given their stance of four years ago?  No.  In theory people should be upset and vote them out.  But they won't. So why would Mitch and Company worry about that?
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    No
    she shouldn't. but she will be confirmed.

this is what it was all about. the man who lost the popular vote gets to appoint 33% of the highest court in the country.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • No

this is what it was all about. the man who lost the popular vote gets to appoint 33% of the highest court in the country.
    It's not good.  I hate the hypocrisy of it.

I will say RBG had a chance to control her own destiny and decided to roll the dice into a new president.  So her deathbed wish of her seat not being filled by trump and GOP doesn't hold any water with me.  She doesn't get to choose.  Now - if she was concerned, she could have stepped down in the middle of Obama's presidency.  It will be interesting to see if that lesson was learned by any of the SCOTUS.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    No

I will say RBG had a chance to control her own destiny and decided to roll the dice into a new president.  So her deathbed wish of her seat not being filled by trump and GOP doesn't hold any water with me.  She doesn't get to choose.  Now - if she was concerned, she could have stepped down in the middle of Obama's presidency.  It will be interesting to see if that lesson was learned by any of the SCOTUS.
    I think that's why we saw Kennedy step down midterm this time. He saw that this may be Trump's only term and wanted a conservative justice to replace him. Yeah, RBG could have stepped down in 2015 for sure. I do think in general that justices time their retirements based on the president.

Another thing I was thinking about is that between Reagan and G. H. W. Bush, 6 justices were seated by republicans. Granted, there was less partisanship on the selection of justices then.
    No

i agree with most of this. except who is to know if RBG had stepped down around the time scalia passed away that mitch would have allowed a vote on another obama pick? she probably knew mitch would not allow it, and this was reinforced when scalia died and no pick was allowed a vote.

the gop was on the beginning of the road to fascism during obama's 2nd term. keep that in mind.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

edited September 2020
    Yes

i agree with most of this. except who is to know if RBG had stepped down around the time scalia passed away that mitch would have allowed a vote on another obama pick? she probably knew mitch would not allow it, and this was reinforced when scalia died and no pick was allowed a vote.

the gop was on the beginning of the road to fascism during obama's 2nd term. keep that in mind.
    That was my first thought.  And I don't know...I'm not sure Mitch was there yet.  We'll never know.  That said, had Hillary won, I bet we'd be at 7 right now...

Edit: Yes seven...because Kennedy would still be there.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    No
    flip the senate, win the presidency, add 4 liberal justices, and and a big fuck you to mitch. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• No

I meant step down before the last year of his 2nd term ;)...like anytime early in the second term.  If she truly wanted to ensure a democrat was picking her successor, it was the only way she could have.  
    hippiemom = goodness
    No

I meant step down before the last year of his 2nd term ;)...like anytime early in the second term.  If she truly wanted to ensure a democrat was picking her successor, it was the only way she could have.  
    i know what you mean man. i am sure she had her reasons for not stepping down earlier. her husband passed away and maybe she felt the need to keep working to help her process that. we will never know. i know i did not think that mitch was going to pull the stunt that he did after scalia died though. that was a game changer for me. and if i were a democratic senator or member of the house, i would have a political vendetta against some of these republicans that changed the rules in the middle of the game.

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410

I think given the difficulty Reid was having getting votes taken on Obama's lower court picks explains why she held on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    No
    I say no way because I believe in separation of church and state.  This won't happen with Barrett.  What likely will happen is that she will be confirmed and we will mover further from Democracy and closer to a now dark ages.  It's going to be a long road back, assuming we ever get back.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I don’t know, so if anyone could tell me, please: Do other Justices practice religion in their personal life? Whether “strict” or not, no Jews or Catholics or even Latvian Orthodox?
    No
    hedonist said:
    I don’t know, so if anyone could tell me, please: Do other Justices practice religion in their personal life? Whether “strict” or not, no Jews or Catholics or even Latvian Orthodox?

Undoubtedly, I would think anyway.  It's not my thing, but I'm cool with anyone practicing any religion that doesn't practice doing harm to others... like limiting a woman's reproductive thing.  I don't care if Barrett sing Hosannas in the shower  or goes to Synagogue twice a week or lights candles and incense on a  hillside at sunset.  I just don't know how much I trust someone who defines them self by their religion.  I believe Barrett does that.  If I'm wrong, I'm definitely open to being corrected.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I don’t want my (or any woman’s) reproductive thing to be controlled ;)

And yeah, I was asking for that reason - my.religious heritage is part of me but not ME. Hence my question. 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    No
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:

Undoubtedly, I would think anyway.  It's not my thing, but I'm cool with anyone practicing any religion that doesn't practice doing harm to others... like limiting a woman's reproductive thing.  I don't care if Barrett sing Hosannas in the shower  or goes to Synagogue twice a week or lights candles and incense on a  hillside at sunset.  I just don't know how much I trust someone who defines them self by their religion.  I believe Barrett does that.  If I'm wrong, I'm definitely open to being corrected.
    She would be the 6th Catholic justice on the current court and while no nominee is dumb enough to overtly state they'd blatantly overturn any precedent already established, she would not be opposed. This in combination with Trump's very own words that he wants to seat justices who will overturn Roe v. Wade should speak for itself. Whether she will actually do it, I don't know, but it seems to me she would be more than willing to find a reason to do so if the circumstances arise.

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/28/917827735/a-look-at-amy-coney-barretts-record-on-abortion-rights
    No
    tbergs said:
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:

She would be the 6th Catholic justice on the current court and while no nominee is dumb enough to overtly state they'd blatantly overturn any precedent already established, she would not be opposed. This in combination with Trump's very own words that he wants to seat justices who will overturn Roe v. Wade should speak for itself. Whether she will actually do it, I don't know, but it seems to me she would be more than willing to find a reason to do so if the circumstances arise.

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/28/917827735/a-look-at-amy-coney-barretts-record-on-abortion-rights

Fuhrer evid... I mean, further evidence someone wants to stir shit in this country in a big (not good) way. 
    hedonist said:
    I don’t want my (or any woman’s) reproductive thing to be controlled ;)

And yeah, I was asking for that reason - my.religious heritage is part of me but not ME. Hence my question. 

Haha!  I'm so fucking dumb sometimes!  :tongue: Words can really trip me up sometimes, lol!

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    No
    I'm all for the Dems stacking the court if they win the WH and Senate.  Fuck the GOP...they would do it and you could argue they have already done it by stealing the Garland nomination.  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,203
    Yes
    I will not hold anybodys religion against them. If she's qualified,why not? But at the same time,she needs to be properly vetted in. People don't have say in such matters,thats up to the Senate. And its a disgrace for Trump to rush into appointing a SCOTUS nominee so soon after the passing of a judge.I want the high Court of the land to be balanced,and not so far sided.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    No
    that hot liar will just walk it back as saying she was a scholar at rhodes college, so what she said was accurate. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Yes

Holy shit...
    that hot liar will just walk it back as saying she was a scholar at rhodes college, so what she said was accurate. 
    I was thinking she'd call it a "joke."  We all know these people are not funny, which enables people to believe their lies and flubs are jokes.

I actually don't think she was "lying." I think she has no idea what a Rhodes Scholar is.  Either way, it's an indictment on her.
    No
    OnWis97 said:

Holy shit...
    I was thinking she'd call it a "joke."  We all know these people are not funny, which enables people to believe their lies and flubs are jokes.

I actually don't think she was "lying." I think she has no idea what a Rhodes Scholar is.  Either way, it's an indictment on her.
    That's what I think...she is clueless which is sad given her position

No
    OnWis97 said:

Holy shit...

That's what I think...she is clueless which is sad given her position
    i don't find her clueless. i just find her completely devoid of a soul. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    No
    Maybe now that she is a Rhodes scholar she'll also win a noble prize
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Yes
    I've been torn on this one. I think Garland should have been confirmed, but makes this hypocritical, I agree. But does 2 wrongs make a right? That's what I was on the fence about. And I don't think so. Maybe make changes so presidents do get a vote on their nomination in the future so it doesn't happen again. If you're in the camp of well Garland didn't get a vote 4 years ago so Barrett shouldn't either, I understand that point. Just disagree, but that logic makes sense to me.

I don't agree with the logic of someone not being appointed based on religion or other political views unless you have evidence to support a claim they would put a political agenda over the constitution. Every judge has personal beliefs and a political agenda, we just expect them to put it aside. It seems people are confusing "should she be confirmed" with "do I want her to be confirmed."
    edited October 2020
    No
    mace1229 said:
    I've been torn on this one. I think Garland should have been confirmed, but makes this hypocritical, I agree. But does 2 wrongs make a right? That's what I was on the fence about. And I don't think so. Maybe make changes so presidents do get a vote on their nomination in the future so it doesn't happen again. If you're in the camp of well Garland didn't get a vote 4 years ago so Barrett shouldn't either, I understand that point. Just disagree, but that logic makes sense to me.

I don't agree with the logic of someone not being appointed based on religion or other political views unless you have evidence to support a claim they would put a political agenda over the constitution. Every judge has personal beliefs and a political agenda, we just expect them to put it aside. It seems people are confusing "should she be confirmed" with "do I want her to be confirmed."
    i think the senate should be compelled to hold confirmation hearings if a president nominates a judge, no matter if it's his first day or his last in the white house. the senate majority leader should not have that much power. 

i disagree with democrats who say she shouldn't be confirmed because that would be the end of obamacare. that's her job, to hear cases brought before the courts. if she believes obamacare to be unconstitutional as interpreted by law, then so be it. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Yes
    mace1229 said:

i think the senate should be compelled to hold confirmation hearings if a president nominates a judge, no matter if it's his first day or his last in the white house. the senate majority leader should not have that much power. 

i disagree with democrats who say she shouldn't be confirmed because that would be the end of obamacare. that's her job, to hear cases brought before the courts. if she believes obamacare to be unconstitutional as interpreted by law, then so be it. 
    Exactly, if Obamacare is unconstitutional, it should not exist.