Options

Matthew Good

2»

Comments

• Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    i havnt seen mg live yet... he was just here at the commodore wasn't he? too bad i'm not OLD ENOUGH to go to those stupid shows... pj better not play at the commodore.

(ps...the commodore wont be stupid once i turn 19, but for now its a stupid, stupid place)
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    rockpantsrockpants BC Posts: 838
    Echoes wrote:
    Arts County Fair was a complete gong show and I almost walked out. Worst MG show I had ever been to, in spite of the fact that it was pretty much walking distance from my place.

Not MG's fault, though. I was at the Amnesty table until the break between K-os' and Matthew's set, and having to work my way through that crowd was one of the most freaky things I've ever experienced. I was behind the "pit" area but then it got too rough, so I moved back and still, idiots and drunken losers everywhere, running into people and attempting to crowdsurf ... I can't believe Matthew came back for the short encore, but I think it was the right decision given how the crowd might have reacted if he hadn't.
    But in terms of atmosphere, yeah, definitely - the worst of the shows.
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    rockpants wrote:
    Not MG's fault, though. I was at the Amnesty table until the break between K-os' and Matthew's set, and having to work my way through that crowd was one of the most freaky things I've ever experienced. I was behind the "pit" area but then it got too rough, so I moved back and still, idiots and drunken losers everywhere, running into people and attempting to crowdsurf ... I can't believe Matthew came back for the short encore, but I think it was the right decision given how the crowd might have reacted if he hadn't.
    But in terms of atmosphere, yeah, definitely - the worst of the shows.

I wouldn't dream of blaming Matt for the conditions there. It would have been a mess no matter who played. My school can be really lame sometimes, especially when you get a bunch of morons drinking and thinking they own the place.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    I wouldn't dream of blaming Matt for the conditions there. It would have been a mess no matter who played. My school can be really lame sometimes, especially when you get a bunch of morons drinking and thinking they own the place.

I heard K-os and Metric got shit thrown at them as well.

I don't recall ever feeling so agitated in my life. I really hope that those idiots had really awful hangovers. :p

I wonder who'll play this year ... sure it's good exposure, but only to some degree - on the posters and word of mouth that the artist is playing. The loyal fans will show up and (try to) pay attention and everyone else will be completely oblivious to the talent they're disrespecting on stage. Winning over new fans is a lost cause at university/college drunk-a-thons.
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    No doubt. I'm not sure who will play, but it will be a half decent act that is a few years out of the mainstream, if the last few years are any indication.

K-OS and Metric got shit thrown at them too, and K-OS even freestyled some raps about it and it was pretty much awesome how he managed to keep relatively upbeat, although I could definately see some noticeable frustration near the end of his set.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    mariposamariposa Posts: 2,523
    I'm really looking forward to that acoustic tour, if it will ever happen.

Thanks for the Matt Good update you guys!
    "All the strength that you might think would disappear, resolving..."
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    exhausted wrote:
    meh, the shows in the bars just end up with the fans being idiots and him getting pissed off and leaving after an hour.

he attracts a bad crowd.

so i really hope the acoustic tour happens. i've stopped bothering with his live shows until then.

There was the famous Regina exhibition performance when a fan hit Matt in the face with a shoe and he said "Fuck you" and walked off stage. Since then the identity of the 'shoeman' has become something of an urban legend in Regina, almost anyone I talk to claims they were right there and that guy was there best friend.

On a lighter topic, though I do appreciate the solo records but I still miss "The Matthew Good Band". Genn really complimented Matt's awesome song writing. All of the alums were fucking awesome especially "Underdogs", that's in my top 5 of best fucking cd's ever. It pissed me off so much when they broke up right after "Audio of Being" came out, I was really excited to hear where they were going... oh well, another great band bites the dust.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    The man has such artistic talent... (he is also gifted in sketching/painting as well).

If you are a fan of Matt's.. I might suggest listening to 'Last Of The Ghetto Astronauts'...
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    If you are a fan of Matt's.. I might suggest listening to 'Last Of The Ghetto Astronauts'...

I hear that! Last of the Ghetto Astronauts was a wicked record.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    mariposamariposa Posts: 2,523
    That record...and Beautiful Midnight!

Oh man...I miss this band. It's too bad I didn't get a chance to see them live when they were still together.
    "All the strength that you might think would disappear, resolving..."
  • Options
    mariposa wrote:
    I'm really looking forward to that acoustic tour, if it will ever happen.

Thanks for the Matt Good update you guys!

It's happening. Not all the dates are announced yet, but a few are up on the site.
  • Options
    chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    rockpants wrote:
    It's happening. Not all the dates are announced yet, but a few are up on the site.

C'mon Matt...give us some US Dates!!!!!!!!!
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    I'm listening to Lights of Endangered Species right now, and it's awesome. I discovered I have so many unreleased and b sides it's almost daunting to think about going through. He is an amazing artist and songwriter. His most recent is a very sombre outing called Moving Walls. Have tickets to the show. the covid-date is now in december, hope it sticks. kind of doubt it will. 

anyone else a matt good fan? @2feignreluctance I think you might dig it. I think anyone who is a songwriter would love his stuff. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,040
    Yes, I love Matthew Good with or without the band.  Vancouver is an amazing album!  The dude is deep. 
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    edited September 2020
    yes, hospital music and Vancouver are classics
    Post edited by Nami on
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    I'm not huge on Moving Walls, but I dig most of his stuff. which is what now, like close to 20 albums? insane. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    Hospital Music is a real piece of work. 
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,284
    I stumbled across Matthew Good by happy accident about 12 years ago. My cousin was giving me a lift somewhere and had some random playlist on the car stereo. As we arrived and he was just about to turn the engine off, 'Oh Be Joyful' started playing. That opening riff blew my away and I made him play the whole song.
    I got the 'In A Coma' collection from iTunes when I got home that night and worked my way from there. I'd love to catch him live one day.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    I stumbled across Matthew Good by happy accident about 12 years ago. My cousin was giving me a lift somewhere and had some random playlist on the car stereo. As we arrived and he was just about to turn the engine off, 'Oh Be Joyful' started playing. That opening riff blew my away and I made him play the whole song.
    I got the 'In A Coma' collection from iTunes when I got home that night and worked my way from there. I'd love to catch him live one day.
    he's an amazing artist but his storytelling live is second to none. highly recommend him live. unfortunately his current tour was just cancelled. it was previously postponed from last spring. now it's off completely. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com