Options

Matthew Good

mariposamariposa Posts: 2,523
edited February 2006 in Other Music
Any Matthew Good fans here?

I have to say, I've been out of the loop with what's happening with him. I read his blog once in a while. But music wise, I have no idea. I did hear something about a new album in 2007?

It'd be interesting to know where the rest of the band is as well.
"All the strength that you might think would disappear, resolving..."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    dave is in 54-40. he played with holly mcnarland and was producing a bit before that as well.

rich, as far as i know, is still matt's bass player except for the few shows that ryan and meegee from limblifter played with him.

no idea on ian browne except for a short stint in alarm bell with ryan from limblifter.
  • Options
    rockpantsrockpants BC Posts: 838
    I'll add on to exhausted's post a bit ...

Matthew has been trying to demo his new record but since he uses GarageBand for it, the bugs that came along with the new version of iLife have delayed that for the short-term. He wants to do the acoustic tour this year so hopefully that will come to fruition.

I have no idea what Rich does in the "off-season".

Dave is getting married soon, I think. To Tamara Taggart, the weather person on a local station.

Ian works at EA as a game tester (unless he just got laid off :P) and lends his talents out to various artists around Vancouver. The most recent I've heard is an artist called Catlow.
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Man I am totally looking forward to anything he does ever. I had no idea Dave Genn is getting married to the weather lady, that is kind of hilarious.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    Man I am totally looking forward to anything he does ever. I had no idea Dave Genn is getting married to the weather lady, that is kind of hilarious.

Matt's doing a podcast at his site tonight or tomorrow, answering fan questions re: music, so hopefully we'll get some more info on what he'd like to do this year.
  • Options
    genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    Love Matt Good.
    nuff said.
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • Options
    MG's right at the top of my favourite artists (PJ, Oasis, then MG). I haven't heard any news about a new album, although I read a while ago that he was heading to the studio soon.
    Toronto '00, '02, '05, '06, '06, '09; Hamilton '05; Buffalo '10; TORONTO 2011 X 2!!

"I think it was John Lennon who said: "Life is what happens when you're making other plans.", and that's how I feel. Although he also said: "I am the Walrus I am the eggman" so I don't know what to believe."
  • Options
    rockpants wrote:
    Matt's doing a podcast at his site tonight or tomorrow, answering fan questions re: music, so hopefully we'll get some more info on what he'd like to do this year.

I just noticed that he started doing podcasts, I haven;t followed his site in ages.

Did you see his shows in November? They were the first Vancouver-area MG shows I'd missed in about 2 years
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    mhmm i love matt good.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    i dont mind his stuff, im probably the only person in the country who has one of his CDs
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    I just noticed that he started doing podcasts, I haven;t followed his site in ages.

Did you see his shows in November? They were the first Vancouver-area MG shows I'd missed in about 2 years

Helped run the Amnesty booth at the Friday show, front row centre at the Saturday show, and they were the best shows of his that I've witnessed.
  • Options
    chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    Matt Good is just amazing. He has so many damn good songs, I've got all of his stuff (as far as I know). I was lucky enough to catch him in NYC a few years back, hopefully he'll return someday. I would love to see an acoustic show.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• Options
    rockpants wrote:
    Helped run the Amnesty booth at the Friday show, front row centre at the Saturday show, and they were the best shows of his that I've witnessed.

dang, that's good to hear. What was played? anything out of the ordinary?
  • Options
    Did anyone else pick up the special edition of In a Coma? Because I love the remix of Prime Time Deliverance and Flashdance II has always been one of my favorites. I find his B-sides are brilliant. I do love most of his stuff though.

And the music videos... *drools*
    Thanks harrison. Maybe you should take your beatbox down the street and eat some acid you silly pervert.

Moloko21- You have been banned for the following reason:
    refusing to followthe posting guidelines you agreed to when you registered for the bbs

Date the ban will be lifted: 02-22-2006
  • Options
    Yeah china, I got that, the acoustic stuff is awesome. Especially Prime Time Deliverance.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• Options
    chimpat wrote:
    Yeah china, I got that, the acoustic stuff is awesome. Especially Prime Time Deliverance.

I found PTD to be amazing on underdogs... I did not think it could get better. It's one of those songs you can sing so loud. I swear none of my friend appreciate him like I do. I think he is brilliant. And gorgeous.
    Thanks harrison. Maybe you should take your beatbox down the street and eat some acid you silly pervert.

refusing to followthe posting guidelines you agreed to when you registered for the bbs

• Options
    china doll wrote:
    I found PTD to be amazing on underdogs... I did not think it could get better. It's one of those songs you can sing so loud. I swear none of my friend appreciate him like I do. I think he is brilliant. And gorgeous.

Agreed. One of the best songs to sing loud ever. I'm lucky that I have a few friends that are real into him, so we always talk about his music. I really think his lyrics and writing overall are brilliant. Some of the best songs I've ever heard, to be honest.

His site is a little too politically motivated for my taste, but that's okay....obviously that's what he feels like putting on there.

I'll always love his music though. "Blue Skies Over Badlands" is one of my favorite songs ever.

• Options
    I like that he has one of those unique sounds. And weapon is one of the most moving song I have heard. I don't care... I wish he would tour more often. I missed him when he came to town. I could have seen him in a bar!!! Oh what was I thinking???

• Options
    meh, the shows in the bars just end up with the fans being idiots and him getting pissed off and leaving after an hour.

he attracts a bad crowd.

so i really hope the acoustic tour happens. i've stopped bothering with his live shows until then.
  • Options
    exhausted wrote:
    meh, the shows in the bars just end up with the fans being idiots and him getting pissed off and leaving after an hour.

he attracts a bad crowd.

so i really hope the acoustic tour happens. i've stopped bothering with his live shows until then.

Is that so?....can you elaborate? I've only seen him twice, once was at Edgefest in Barrie, Ontario and the other was at the Bowery Ballroom in NYC. That club show was an American crowd obviously and most people were excited to see him play. What exactly do the Canadian fans get pissed off about?...song selection?

• Options
    chimpat wrote:
    Is that so?....can you elaborate? I've only seen him twice, once was at Edgefest in Barrie, Ontario and the other was at the Bowery Ballroom in NYC. That club show was an American crowd obviously and most people were excited to see him play. What exactly do the Canadian fans get pissed off about?...song selection?

I haven't seen anyone get pissed off... maybe it is selective shows?

• Options
    chimpat wrote:

no, his fans are just idiots. usually drunk and moshing and injuring people.

last show i had tickets for i ended up just trying to give them away because i just didn't want to deal with it. last time i saw him was banff in 2003? and it was a major disappointment because of the crowd. he ended up catching the mic in the teeth.

show starts great. people get stupid. he lambasts the crowd. all the positive energy is sucked out of the room. the bad elements in the crowd try to elevate the situation. matt leaves the stage. no encore. 60 minute show... maybe.

rinse and repeat.

you'd think after a few tours of this he'd just start booking theatres but it never happens.
  • Options
    He has pretty much made a career out of pissing people off who in turn like to start shit at his concert, which really makes no sense.

the double CD version of In A Coma is great, I agree. Love the videos, even if his later/earlier ones are kind of shitty.
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    He has pretty much made a career out of pissing people off who in turn like to start shit at his concert, which really makes no sense.

the double CD version of In A Coma is great, I agree. Love the videos, even if his later/earlier ones are kind of shitty.

sometimes it almost felt like he wanted it to happen like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

life banff, there was no barricade, even though it was in the contract. well, don't take the stage then. or move the mic and monitors back.

i'm not saying it was his fault but shit, mitigate the risks here.
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:

I still love symbolistic white walls... the video makes me tingle.

• Options
    Echoes wrote:
    dang, that's good to hear. What was played? anything out of the ordinary?

Depends on what you'd define as out of the ordinary ... while I've heard Suburbia live before, it was played both nights and was a treat, as was Advertising on Police Cars (which I'd never heard live prior). Other than that, song selection was mostly the usual since the tour was in support of a GH, but this is coming from someone who's seen 15 gigs.

Wait, I'm an idiot. I have Matthew's setlist from the Nov. 5th show.
    Hang on ... *cue on hold music*

Near Fantastica
    Avalanche
    Load Me Up
    Hello Time Bomb
    Oh Be Joyful
    Suburbia
    Empty Road
    Carmelina
    Alert Status Red
    The Future is X-Rated
    Blue Skies Over Badlands
    Weapon
    Apparitions
    ---
    Giant
    Little Terror
    Everything is Automatic
    Advertising on Police Cars
    ----
    Put Out Your Lights
    Poor Man's Grey
    "acoustic" (Prime Time Deliverance)
  • Options
    Oh, and the podcast is up. Pretty good, talks a bit about the direction of what he's been writing lately and a few other things.

Direct Link:
    http://web.mac.com/matthewgood/iWeb/Site/Podcast/E930207F-AE4C-4BFC-B2A3-4D4EAC251DC0.html
  • Options
    rockpants wrote:
    *setlist*

holy fuck.

Why didn't I go.

Holy shit that was an awesome setlist. I would have died hearing PTD.
  • Options
    WESWES Posts: 168
    chimpat wrote:

MG's had numerous run in with fans....He played a gig at UBC i think (could be wrong) and many items were thrown at him, including a wrench....yes a wrench...Theres been shoes thrown as well on other occasions...

I attended a Toronto show when he was supporting his White Light Rock and Roll Review album...during the end he grew agitated with people in the crowd moshing, and eventually stopped the show in an attempt to set them straight...didn't work though....

Overall, MG is definitely worth seeing, and has put out some of the best music to come out of Canada in the last 10 years or so....Avalanche is perhaps his best effort and often goes overlooked....
  • Options
    WES wrote:
    MG's had numerous run in with fans....He played a gig at UBC i think (could be wrong) and many items were thrown at him, including a wrench....yes a wrench...Theres been shoes thrown as well on other occasions...

I attended a Toronto show when he was supporting his White Light Rock and Roll Review album...during the end he grew agitated with people in the crowd moshing, and eventually stopped the show in an attempt to set them straight...didn't work though....

Overall, MG is definitely worth seeing, and has put out some of the best music to come out of Canada in the last 10 years or so....Avalanche is perhaps his best effort and often goes overlooked....

The wrench nearly hit Ryan Dahle. Limblifter's sometimes drummer, Brent Follet, got it framed for him as a birthday gift. :p I believe the inscription on the brass plate read referenced the show as the "Arts County Write-Off".
    A drum pedal was actually thrown on stage that day as well. Where the hell do people get these things?

Echoes - It was a pretty amazing gig, indeed. The guys were obviously having a lot of fun and that makes for the best shows, in my experience. At the end of the show on the 4th, Pat Steward went up to Matthew's mic as the band was departing and yelled, "BEST CROWD ON THE TOUR! LOUD AS FUCK!"
    Plus, those shows introduced me to The Ladies & Gentlemen. (Yay!)
    I hope you don't feel too crappy about missing the gigs ... they were 3 months ago now and I'm sure gigs just as great will be in store.

Matthew answered my question in the podcast. Groovy.
  • Options
    Arts County Fair was a complete gong show and I almost walked out. Worst MG show I had ever been to, in spite of the fact that it was pretty much walking distance from my place.