No more pinging- Big Bends Nut Sauce works great!

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
After I don't know how many years of dealing with that little ping when tuning, I discovered Big Bends' product, Nut Sauce.  It's a lubricant the eliminates the little ping that take you from just barely flat to just barely sharp (or visa versa) when tuning.  They say it help eliminate string breakage as well (which had rarely been a problem for me as I'm not that aggressive a player.) Nut Sauce is great stuff- even if it does make my wife laugh when I mention the name!
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    brianlux said:
    After I don't know how many years of dealing with that little ping when tuning, I discovered Big Bends' product, Nut Sauce.  It's a lubricant the eliminates the little ping that take you from just barely flat to just barely sharp (or visa versa) when tuning.  They say it help eliminate string breakage as well (which had rarely been a problem for me as I'm not that aggressive a player.) Nut Sauce is great stuff- even if it does make my wife laugh when I mention the name!
    Will Big DK's Nut Sauce work?

I'd like to save some cash if possible.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

Only if you're ok with your guitar smelling like cat food and ass.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    dudeman said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

Only if you're ok with your guitar smelling like cat food and ass.

:lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    nut sauce is good stuff. ive used it for years. every time i change strings i lube my nut.

that sounds dirty, hahaha

brian, one of the main causes of string breakage is the string can get hung up in the nut slot and over time the extra tension on the string when tuning can weaken the string and cause it to break up high at the nut. nut sauce lubricates that nut slot to help reduce this tension up there. 
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    nut sauce is good stuff. ive used it for years. every time i change strings i lube my nut.

brian, one of the main causes of string breakage is the string can get hung up in the nut slot and over time the extra tension on the string when tuning can weaken the string and cause it to break up high at the nut. nut sauce lubricates that nut slot to help reduce this tension up there. 

I'm a bit surprised it took me so long to hear about this stuff, but sure glad I did!

brianlux said:

I'm a bit surprised it took me so long to hear about this stuff, but sure glad I did!
    there were always alternative ways to do it. nut sauce is just the easiest, haha.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

brianlux said:

there were always alternative ways to do it. nut sauce is just the easiest, haha.

True! 
    And I learned the hard way years ago that there are far worse ways to deal with the problem.  Several years ago I was having that pinging problem with my Martin D-18 where a few strings were binding in the nut when I tuned, so I took it to a guitar shop that was an authorized Martin dealer and the guy there told me I should have the nut replaced.  I did so at a relatively heft cost which was a bit of a bummer but then, even worse, the new nut raised the action.  So I took it back in and the guy filed it down but then the strings buzzed on the frets.  Argh!  So I finally just sent the guitar to C. F. Martin in Pennsylvania and, of course, they made it right again and buffed the finish nicely.    So from now on, I'll just use Nut Sauce and be happy!

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

True! 
    And I learned the hard way years ago that there are far worse ways to deal with the problem.  Several years ago I was having that pinging problem with my Martin D-18 where a few strings were binding in the nut when I tuned, so I took it to a guitar shop that was an authorized Martin dealer and the guy there told me I should have the nut replaced.  I did so at a relatively heft cost which was a bit of a bummer but then, even worse, the new nut raised the action.  So I took it back in and the guy filed it down but then the strings buzzed on the frets.  Argh!  So I finally just sent the guitar to C. F. Martin in Pennsylvania and, of course, they made it right again and buffed the finish nicely.    So from now on, I'll just use Nut Sauce and be happy!
    glad martin was able to get it fixed for you.

that is the problem with nuts.

i have a kurt cobain signature jaguar i got from a guitar center 7 or 8 years ago. was never happy with it. i had all kinds of string buzz on the frets and they did a crappy job of dressing the frets at the factory. it would not stay in tune for a whole song. i would slide my hand up the bottom of the neck and it felt like i was rubbing my hand on a cheesegrater. i took it to one repair shop and they said the nut slots were either cut or filed too deep and that i either needed a new nut, or they could try the powder and superglue trick to fill in the nut slots and recut them. i had them try option b because i did not want to have to mess with a new nut. that thing never was right even after that.

3 weeks ago i took it to the guy that built my tele. he put in a new bone nut and dressed the frets for me. it only cost about $250, but that included strings, setup, and general maintenance that it needed. now that thing plays like a dream. it feels like a completely different guitar. no fret buzz anymore :)

a good luthier is like a good hairstylist. once you have a good one, never leave them, haha.

edited September 2020
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

True! 

i have a kurt cobain signature jaguar i got from a guitar center 7 or 8 years ago. was never happy with it. i had all kinds of string buzz on the frets and they did a crappy job of dressing the frets at the factory. it would not stay in tune for a whole song. i would slide my hand up the bottom of the neck and it felt like i was rubbing my hand on a cheesegrater. i took it to one repair shop and they said the nut slots were either cut or filed too deep and that i either needed a new nut, or they could try the powder and superglue trick to fill in the nut slots and recut them. i had them try option b because i did not want to have to mess with a new nut. that thing never was right even after that.

3 weeks ago i took it to the guy that built my tele. he put in a new bone nut and dressed the frets for me. it only cost about $250, but that included strings, setup, and general maintenance that it needed. now that thing plays like a dream. it feels like a completely different guitar. no fret buzz anymore :)

a good luthier is like a good hairstylist. once you have a good one, never leave them, haha.
    Good thing you connected with that guy.  Yeah, they are hard to find!

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    The pinging is almost definitely the strings binding in the nut. I have had good luck with smoothing the slot with a folded piece of fine sandpaper or sanding cloth. 

It takes around 2 minutes and just a couple passes since most commonly used nut material is really easy to shape. 

I started cutting my own too. Nut blank material is cheap and it's not terribly difficult to cut down. The last one I did was for a P-Bass that the previous owner had tried to use strings that were too big for the factory cut slots. Every slot has a crack in it and it had been "fixed" with glue. 

That total repair cost about $3.00 and maybe 90 minutes of my time. 

All that said, I have used Big Bends Nut Sauce and it works well. Just be careful to not get any on your tuning posts or the part of the string that wraps around the post. That stuff is really damn slick and it can make strings slip while restringing.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    dudeman said:
    The pinging is almost definitely the strings binding in the nut. I have had good luck with smoothing the slot with a folded piece of fine sandpaper or sanding cloth. 

It takes around 2 minutes and just a couple passes since most commonly used nut material is really easy to shape. 

I started cutting my own too. Nut blank material is cheap and it's not terribly difficult to cut down. The last one I did was for a P-Bass that the previous owner had tried to use strings that were too big for the factory cut slots. Every slot has a crack in it and it had been "fixed" with glue. 

That total repair cost about $3.00 and maybe 90 minutes of my time. 

All that said, I have used Big Bends Nut Sauce and it works well. Just be careful to not get any on your tuning posts or the part of the string that wraps around the post. That stuff is really damn slick and it can make strings slip while restringing.

Wow- that's cool, and good for you, dudeman!  I would no more try to replace or build a part for one of my guitars than I would try to perform surgery on myself, so kudos for being able to do that, man!

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

True! 

+1 for having a good luthier or repair person that really knows their stuff.  Makes all the difference in the world.  
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden