The Joe Rogan Thread

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    he himself says "I'm just an idiot talking shit in my basement". read the room, folks. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    he himself says "I'm just an idiot talking shit in my basement". read the room, folks. 

I'm only aware of one time with Bill Burr. Now I haven't listened in a while, but as I recall he addressed this later saying he was trying to get Burr to go on a rant. I thought Burr shut him down very well.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    edited September 2020
    mickeyrat said:

I'm only aware of one time with Bill Burr. Now I haven't listened in a while, but as I recall he addressed this later saying he was trying to get Burr to go on a rant. I thought Burr shut him down very well.
    he did. i loved it. I thanked bill on twitter for that. look, there's some stuff that joe does that pisses me off. the mask thing was one of them. but if you're honestly dumb enough to take medical advice from joe rogan, well....sorry
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mickeyrat said:
    dignin said:
    Just like Trump, the guy makes fun of people for wearing masks. During a pandemic. That's dangerous.

There is a long list of conspiracy theories he has peddled to his audience of millions, that's also very dangerous.
    the nerve. who does he think he is? some kind of comedian?

That's a pretty convenient excuse. If he was just a comedian, then why does he have serious guests on and discuss serious content. Why is he even being brought up as a possible debate moderator?

You can't have it both ways. 

Does anyone think that people don't take him seriously? Just because you don't, doesn't mean that others don't. He has an audience of millions.

The conspiracy driven discourse we currently find ourselves in didn't happen in a vacuum. Joe Rogan is a part of that.
    dignin said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dignin said:
    Just like Trump, the guy makes fun of people for wearing masks. During a pandemic. That's dangerous.

There is a long list of conspiracy theories he has peddled to his audience of millions, that's also very dangerous.

That's a pretty convenient excuse. If he was just a comedian, then why does he have serious guests on and discuss serious content. Why is he even being brought up as a possible debate moderator?

Does anyone think that people don't take him seriously? Just because you don't, doesn't mean that others don't. He has an audience of millions.

The conspiracy driven discourse we currently find ourselves in didn't happen in a vacuum. Joe Rogan is a part of that.
    if he's talking about masks being for pussies with joey diaz....comedy. if he's talking about neuroscience with a neuroscientist....serious discussion. this isn't hard. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

dignin said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dignin said:

if he's talking about masks being for pussies with joey diaz....comedy. if he's talking about neuroscience with a neuroscientist....serious discussion. this isn't hard. 

I'm trying to have a reasonable conversation here. Why do you feel the need to add "This isn't hard" in?

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    What conspiracy theories has he peddled? I don’t listen to most episodes but if it’s an interesting guest or I catch a few cool  snippets somewhere else, that draws me in. From what I’ve seen, Rogan has a minimal amount of culpability in the  atmosphere we have now. He cultivates a healthy amount of skepticism but also plays devils  advocate at times. If dummies want to take snippets from a 3 hour interview and spin them to serve some narrative, that’s not on Rogan.
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dignin said:

I'm trying to have a reasonable conversation here. Why do you feel the need to add "This isn't hard" in?

is there something difficult about it? did I say something incorrect?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

dignin said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dignin said:

umm because he's a curious dude?

and yes both ways. a comedian talking with another comedian busting balls to get the one going.

now personally I thought it unfunny and the attempt at goading burr into a rant a little contrived, but whatever, thats just like , my opinion man.

personally I prefer the more serious discussions cuz I learn from those people. The juvenile shit that comes with comedian guests I can do without.

Good thing I'm neither forced to listen nor forced to accept everything out of his mouth as gospel. and that means I get to exercise critical thinking skills and not react emotionally as many do on social media.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    dignin said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dignin said:

Johnny Carson, David Letterman, Leno, Colbert.  All comedians that have had crazy people on their shows! It’s kind of like it’s an American tradition.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    mickeyrat said:
    dignin said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dignin said:

umm because he's a curious dude?

and yes both ways. a comedian talking with another comedian busting balls to get the one going.

now personally I thought it unfunny and the attempt at goading burr into a rant a little contrived, but whatever, thats just like , my opinion man.

personally I prefer the more serious discussions cuz I learn from those people. The juvenile shit that comes with comedian guests I can do without.

Good thing I'm neither forced to listen nor forced to accept everything out of his mouth as gospel. and that means I get to exercise critical thinking skills and not react emotionally as many do on social media.
    I'm with ya on the bolded part
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

static111 said:
    dignin said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dignin said:

Johnny Carson, David Letterman, Leno, Colbert.  All comedians that have had crazy people on their shows! It’s kind of like it’s an American tradition.

Joe Rogan is the host, and he's the crazy person. 

I can't think of any of those hosts spouting conspiracy nonsense.

What conspiracy nonsense?
    dignin said:
    static111 said:
    dignin said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dignin said:

Joe Rogan is just a 21st century podcaster.  The evolution of the popular talk show format of the XX century. 
    Scio me nihil scire

static111 said:
    dignin said:
    static111 said:
    dignin said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dignin said:

Joe Rogan is just a 21st century podcaster.  The evolution of the popular talk show format of the XX century. 
    It looks that way.
    edited September 2020
    there is a valid point in what dignin is trying to say: Joe Rogan has a massive audience. Some of which take everything he says at his word. Does he have a responsibility to the idiots to change his style, or should he just be as he started, just a guy in his basement chatting with his buddies getting stoned, and it happens to be over the airwaves?

he's not a journalist. he's a conversationalist. he likes to have conversations with people, whether they be ted nugent or neil de grasse tyson.

Most of us are smart enough to know the difference. Does fame automatically obligate you to change your behaviour? In this case, because he comes right out and says what he is, I say no. I say he is successful because of this format and his style, and he should stick to it. 

do I think he should host a debate with two presidential candidates? No, I don't. at least not one sanctioned by the committees. if they want to sit down on their own time and shoot the shit, have at er. But I think Biden would have to be insane to agree to that prior to the election. Seems more of a "once biden is out of office" type of podcast to have. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

DewieCox said:
    Fake moon landing, 9/11 truth type stuff to name a few. It's all out there.

Apparently he backs down from some of that stuff when really challenged, which is good, but he sure likes a good conspiracy theory. 
    there is a valid point in what dignin is trying to say: Joe Rogan has a massive audience. Some of which take everything he says at his word. Does he have a responsibility to the idiots to change his style, or should he just be as he started, just a guy in his basement chatting with his buddies getting stoned, and it happens to be over the airwaves?

he's not a journalist. he's a conversationalist. he likes to have conversations with people, whether they be ted nugent or neil de grasse tyson.

Most of us are smart enough to know the difference. Does fame automatically obligate you to change your behaviour? In this case, because he comes right out and says what he is, I say no. I say he is successful because of this format and his style, and he should stick to it. 

do I think he should host a debate with two presidential candidates? No, I don't. at least not one sanctioned by the committees. if they want to sit down on their own time and shoot the shit, have at er. But I think Biden would have to be insane to agree to that prior to the election. Seems more of a "once biden is out of office" type of podcast to have. 
    I have to agree with you here.   I see dignin’s point a bit clearer from this angle.   If joe was saying he was a genius and has all the answers and not to question him like Shapiro, Limbaugh and Hannity that’s one thing, but the guy says that he is a stoned dude having a talk show in his basement and likes to talk....I mean I first listened when he had Steven Tyler on and I checked out NDT, Musk, Bernie and others and when he has serious guests he’s serious....when he has but cases on he just gets stoned and follows that nutcase thread and says that his show is entertainment, so I have a hard time finding Joe Rogan on the enemies list.
    Scio me nihil scire

one thing that gets to me is that he doesn't tend to challenge his guests on the hard issues, which goes to my earlier point that he doesn't consider himself a journalist of any kind. which can give rise to the "he shouldn't give pedophiles and white supremacists a platform", to which I agree with somewhat; if he'd at least call out their bullshit, I'd be ok with it, but to have alex jones on, tell everyone he's your buddy and he's harmless can give credence to the guy in the eyes of the general public. he has said on multiple occasions that jones is nuts and he legitimately worries about him, but never when he's sitting there in front of him. which is when people are watching. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

one thing that gets to me is that he doesn't tend to challenge his guests on the hard issues, which goes to my earlier point that he doesn't consider himself a journalist of any kind. which can give rise to the "he shouldn't give pedophiles and white supremacists a platform", to which I agree with somewhat; if he'd at least call out their bullshit, I'd be ok with it, but to have alex jones on, tell everyone he's your buddy and he's harmless can give credence to the guy in the eyes of the general public. he has said on multiple occasions that jones is nuts and he legitimately worries about him, but never when he's sitting there in front of him. which is when people are watching. 
    I don’t think he’s had Alex on since he went full crazy has he?
    Scio me nihil scire

feb 2017 and feb 2019, and it looks like he's scheduled again for the near future. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

static111 said:
    i'm not sure what you are referring to, I don't follow alex jones really, but in the second one they talked a lot about alex having undergone some type of crazy episode in his life. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

static111 said:
    i'm not sure what you are referring to, I don't follow alex jones really, but in the second one they talked a lot about alex having undergone some type of crazy episode in his life. 

liquor flows when Alex is on too....

When has Alex not been crazy (or at least played crazy for money)? Sandy Hook (false flag) was in 2012.
    static111 said:
    Well I mean after he lost his kids and got sued for sandy hook etc.   I mean he was always crazy, but I mean straight up full on no denying the insanity crazy.
    Scio me nihil scire

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    dignin said:
    DewieCox said:

Apparently he backs down from some of that stuff when really challenged, which is good, but he sure likes a good conspiracy theory. 
    The one thing I heard from him specifically referencing that was that it did indeed take those who wanted to fly those planes on 9/11 to conspire together to do so. “Conspiracy” is sometimes used literally, no?

I find it all curiously humorous. He’s a guy with a show, answers to no one, admits when he’s wrong, ignorant or misinformed. It seems like some fear him, or his supposed sway?

Also, I haven’t witnessed the speaking out of both sides of the mouth thing, but I’m not a fan of that either, from anyone. 
    hedonist said:
    dignin said:
    DewieCox said:

The one thing I heard from him specifically referencing that was that it did indeed take those who wanted to fly those planes on 9/11 to conspire together to do so. “Conspiracy” is sometimes used literally, no?

I find it all curiously humorous. He’s a guy with a show, answers to no one, admits when he’s wrong, ignorant or misinformed. It seems like some fear him, or his supposed sway?

Also, I haven’t witnessed the speaking out of both sides of the mouth thing, but I’m not a fan of that either, from anyone. 
    He's stated that he thinks tower 7 was a controlled demolition.

Who knows what he says now.

I don't fear him, I think that people should be informed. 
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    dignin said:
    hedonist said:
    dignin said:
    DewieCox said:

He's stated that he thinks tower 7 was a controlled demolition.

Who knows what he says now.

I don't fear him, I think that people should be informed. 
    Yeah, I don’t watch him regularly enough to know the all the minutiae or how/when his views shift. 

He had Snowden on today; may check it out later.  
    dignin said:
    DewieCox said:

I’ve seen an  episode where he talks about the fake moon landing and I didn’t get the vibe that he was wholly endorsing it as much as entertaining the possibility. 

Seen another about JFK where he seems more on the side that LHO was the lone gunman. 

I think he can be contrarian, especially when he gets in there with guys that are highly intelligent or have a deep understanding of a given topic...

It can be exhausting and is a big part of why I only listen when it’s an interesting guest 

Joe Rogan spread dangerous misinformation about fires. Now he says he's sorry

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/18/media/joe-rogan-apologizes/index.html