Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez

Comments

• Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,206
    I'm not a fan.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    mace1229 said:
    I love her new green deal.  Love it.  The cost to actually go through with it is a bit robust though.

Do I think college can be free?  Sure can.  Why a university costs 25K and up to attend is mind boggling.
    That actually isn’t that outrageous when you consider states pay schools 10-20k per student  in funding.  It could be cut back some, but I don’t see how to make it free without a significant increase in taxes.
    A college is going to have better facilities and equipment and wider range of options. But a public school has some other expenses too.

The biggest waste in college funding is how many classes professors take (other than coaches salaries). Many profs only teach 2 classes each semester. Literally 2 classes on M,W, F and that’s it in terms of teaching. They may have other obligations that make the school look better, like conducting research or a book deal or something. But those don’t really do a lot for kids. To me it’s kind of a joke to have a full time instructor literally teach 6 hours a week and the rest of their job is making the school look good.
    Have teachers teach 20-25 hours a week will still allow plenty of time for grade Nd and prepping, etc. and put the other things as a side project, you could cut staff by more than half. School may then only cost 15-20k, and that seems reasonable. Not cheap I know, but on par with what k-12 education costs.
    Don't get me started on the subsidizing of colleges...
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,531
    College costs and facilities are ridiculous.  College should be two to three years max unless it is a field of public safety/health (health, engineering, etc...).  
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,627
    College costs and facilities are ridiculous.  College should be two to three years max unless it is a field of public safety/health (health, engineering, etc...).  
    Yes they are.  When I went to school,  it was spartan living.  Now the amenities are crazy,  as schools compete for students with those amenities.  There are a ton of factors that have driven the cost of tuition so far ahead of inflation,  but this is certainly one of them. 
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    mrussel1 said:
    Yes they are.  When I went to school,  it was spartan living.  Now the amenities are crazy,  as schools compete for students with those amenities.  There are a ton of factors that have driven the cost of tuition so far ahead of inflation,  but this is certainly one of them. 
    Did you walk uphill both ways too?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mrussel1 said:
    Riddle me this.  If the government sets the rate for student loans, why can’t they set it at zero?  That would make the cost much easier to bear for those that have to borrow.  It’s not like the government doesn’t have a history of giving 0 interest loans to big business because of the return they get in the long run.  Imagine the return you could get from people that aren’t overburdened by student loan debt.  I personally have paid more than I originally borrowed and am now on the downhill slope, though I still owe a considerable amount. If I had 0 interest the loan would have likely been paid off years ago and I could be thinking about home ownership and other things of that nature by now...
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Perhaps, but don't you think the tuition costs are outrageous today?  It's a combination of facilities (sports and students), reduced state funding, fair number of students with zero or low tuition (of which I'm supportive), and a number of professors who teach few classes.  I think people would be surprised at how few classes tenured professors teach.  They are expected to publish.  If we want to lower the cost curve, the expense line has to change.  
  • Options
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Riddle me this.  If the government sets the rate for student loans, why can’t they set it at zero?  That would make the cost much easier to bear for those that have to borrow.  It’s not like the government doesn’t have a history of giving 0 interest loans to big business because of the return they get in the long run.  Imagine the return you could get from people that aren’t overburdened by student loan debt.  I personally have paid more than I originally borrowed and am now on the downhill slope, though I still owe a considerable amount. If I had 0 interest the loan would have likely been paid off years ago and I could be thinking about home ownership and other things of that nature by now...
    I don't know why the Felps program can't be zero, honestly.  It probably could be and should be.  They shouldn't be dischargeable in bankruptcy, so might as well ease the burden.  Are your loans all federal or do you have private in there too?  Many people don't qualify for the felps program but still can't afford tuition.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I don't know why the Felps program can't be zero, honestly.  It probably could be and should be.  They shouldn't be dischargeable in bankruptcy, so might as well ease the burden.  Are your loans all federal or do you have private in there too?  Many people don't qualify for the felps program but still can't afford tuition.  
    All Federal.   I was at least smart enough to not get myself into private debt.  The only debt that my wife and I have is student loans.  It's ridiculous. Always pay on time etc.  sometimes it seems insurmountable, but luckily we are finally on the downhill slope. So unless something goes horrifically wrong we are finally both on our way to seeing a lower balance each month.  And when we have extra we throw it at them. The sad thing is when I went to university I was covered with scholarships and grants.  It was upon learning a trade at the local CC that I took out most of my loans, while working three jobs! And this was one of the most affordable schools in one of the poorest states in the nation.  Luckily I did get set on a decent career in the welding industry...of course Covid isn't helping with that right now.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220
    mrussel1 said:
    Barefoot in the snow!
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    All Federal.   I was at least smart enough to not get myself into private debt.  The only debt that my wife and I have is student loans.  It's ridiculous. Always pay on time etc.  sometimes it seems insurmountable, but luckily we are finally on the downhill slope. So unless something goes horrifically wrong we are finally both on our way to seeing a lower balance each month.  And when we have extra we throw it at them. The sad thing is when I went to university I was covered with scholarships and grants.  It was upon learning a trade at the local CC that I took out most of my loans, while working three jobs! And this was one of the most affordable schools in one of the poorest states in the nation.  Luckily I did get set on a decent career in the welding industry...of course Covid isn't helping with that right now.
    I'm a bit older than you, but my first year I funded with a Stafford Loan.  I think those are extinct now.  But I recall the rate being very low, sub 4%.  Are your public loans higher than that?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I'm a bit older than you, but my first year I funded with a Stafford Loan.  I think those are extinct now.  But I recall the rate being very low, sub 4%.  Are your public loans higher than that?
    My GF has 6 figures of debt.  Private and public.  Horrible rates.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yes, private is going to be higher since there are no subsidies, so it's based on your credit (or that of your co-signer).  

Anyone know the rate of fed loans?  I agree with Static that it should, at worst, the Fed Funds rate (discount rate).  That's a quarter point today.  A year ago it was 2.5%.  So it's dirt cheap.   
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Well don't marry her
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    edited August 2020
    I was a lucky bastard...only child of upper-middle class (non-materialistic) parents.  I actually had the college fund that some kids grow up thinking they have.  My wife, not so much.  Grew up in poverty.  I was taken aback by her loans, which to me it seemed like may as well have been market rate. The only advantage (other than the fact that no bank would have loaned her family money) over a bank was that she didn't have to start paying until after graduation from grad school. Fifteen years later, we wrote the biggest check of our lives to pay it off because the long-run savings was so immense.  
    We made it work because 1) I had no student debt, 2) we both have professional masters degrees (nothing hugely lucrative, but no philosophy-major struggles) and 3) we have no kids and are not big spenders. But four-year-only grads on average don't make a lot of money and the cost of it all is ridiculous. I think there's a lot of value to the experience but if you grow up without a lot of money, you're really forced into being utilitarian about it and not going in if you don't know exactly what you're going to do with it. 
    At the same time, it's good that we're backing off on idealizing the four-year experience.  We needed more balance and a more clear delineation of post-secondary options (and less villification of some).  But I hope it all (the cost, the over-compensation on lionizing college, conservative policy) doesn't all end up keeping low-income people from being able to go the traditional college route if that's what suits them.
    Post edited by OnWis97 on
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538
    Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Barefoot in the snow!
    Feet?!
    You had feet?!
    Wow lucky
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Well don't marry her
    This is a main reason why we are not.  It's not something I joke about either...

EDIT: I DONT joke about.
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Barefoot in the snow!
    Feet?!
    You had feet?!
    Wow lucky
    Ha.. Luxury... There were a 150 of us living in a cardboard box in the middle of the road.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue7wM0QC5LE
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    The one that is left is 6.5%.  I had no idea what the hell apr even meant at the time since I never learned about financial trickery or money rules because I came up from a long line of poor people.  I literally thought it meant you borrowed X and paid back X+6.5%  what a fool I was.   Now I know all about that stuff. We are currently a cash only household and will likely continue as one unless we ever get to a place we feel comfortable taking out a loan on a house.  In the current economy saving up a couple hundred thousand to pay cash on a house seems like a pipe dream
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    The one that is left is 6.5%.  I had no idea what the hell apr even meant at the time since I never learned about financial trickery or money rules because I came up from a long line of poor people.  I literally thought it meant you borrowed X and paid back X+6.5%  what a fool I was.   Now I know all about that stuff. We are currently a cash only household and will likely continue as one unless we ever get to a place we feel comfortable taking out a loan on a house.  In the current economy saving up a couple hundred thousand to pay cash on a house seems like a pipe dream
    Current rates are much lower I just decided to retrain and take out loans at a terrible time.   
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Perhaps, but don't you think the tuition costs are outrageous today?  It's a combination of facilities (sports and students), reduced state funding, fair number of students with zero or low tuition (of which I'm supportive), and a number of professors who teach few classes.  I think people would be surprised at how few classes tenured professors teach.  They are expected to publish.  If we want to lower the cost curve, the expense line has to change.  
    As I mentioned in a previous post, I was shocked when I learned that. It isn’t uncommon for a tenure teacher to have 2 classes a semester (that  is when they aren’t on sabbatical and teaching 0 classes). And publishing is a huge deal. The college/university probably spends as much on salary as they do business expenses with publishing. It’s really crazy. Not all professors need to write books. Especially when the only ones who buys them are their students because the prof made it a required reading just to get book sales into the double digits.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    I actually had a prof that assigned his book as the main text one time. And I had an the 4 edition when the current one was 5th. After the first paper he told me he was not going to accept any more assignments unless I referenced the current edition.
    The only difference was a few pictures changed and some formatting. I wanted to reply “well if your book from last year is so wrong why would I trust this one?” But I didnt.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,711
    Classy move last night, AOC. 
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725
    edited August 2020
    nicknyr15 said:
    I think her nomination of Sanders was some weird procedural thing. Sanders had enough delegates (or something?) to receive a nomination, but I'm not exactly sure. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,711
    nicknyr15 said:
    I think her nomination of Sanders was some weird procedural thing. Sanders had enough delegates (or something?) to receive a nomination, but I'm not exactly sure. 
    Just seemed weird to me but not out of character. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    People pick one 90 second bit to piss around about.  Too funny.
    I think her piece seems on brand, for her.

Also....I didn't watch this infomercial as it happened the past few nights.  Did anyone else?
    No need.
    Won't watch the other infomercial next week, either.
    (Although the unintentional comedy scale could be high for the speeches from both grandpa's.  Will likely watch those day after )

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725

Also....I didn't watch this infomercial as it happened the past few nights.  Did anyone else?
    No need.
    (Although the unintentional comedy scale could be high for the speeches from both grandpa's.  Will likely watch those day after )
    I imagine they'll probably be pre-recorded. Biden's definitely. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Just seemed weird to me but not out of character. 
    Weird in what way? 

Given convention rules, Sanders require a formal nomination and she was asked to do it. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

No need.

No, I don't watch them either.  I watched Obama's speech in 08 because of the history, but generally I view it as propaganda. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,949
    nicknyr15 said:
    She did what she was supposed to do.  Funny how people forget how conventions work.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville