Options

Pearl Jam 2020 postponed posters

Comments

• Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,344
    It's amusing that this Baltimore poster is popular. It's literally word art with small retro photos. I'm glad you're able to get it here for $35 instead of paying an exorbitant price elsewhere. 
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,212
    EF11 said:
    Looks like that is it for today, per Santos in his new daily thread.

The waiting for Baltimore continues...
    Well while everyone is waiting for the Baltimore drop, I’m sitting here still wondering whether or not I’ll snag that Oakland print once it drops. I haven’t heard if Zio plans to offer a AP or variant drop. Has anyone else heard anything?

I’m still bummed to know that Chuck Sperry was commissioned for the second night that we’ll apparently never see now, which also happened to be my oldest daughters birthday and what would’ve been her third show. I bet that poster would’ve been sweet looking and so cool for my daughter to have. 
    I wrote him a couple days ago asking. He said he's trying to figure out a way to sell them this fall. Not sure if he has a site. That's the one I want too. If I see or hear more I'll pass it along. For those unsure on that print, his art is worth looking up. Really, really cool. 
    Totally agree about all of his other work, simply amazing. Which is why the Oakland print is such a head scratcher. Interesting to hear that he might do something in the fall time, seems like a long time to wait. 

And he does have a site that I’ve been checking, but haven’t seen any mention of it and it doesn’t look like he has an online shop. I’ll keep checking as well, but if you hear something yourself, please let me know.
    The prior PJ poster by Zio only had 10 APs. Not sure where it went on sale 
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,911
    BF89905 said:
    It's amusing that this Baltimore poster is popular. It's literally word art with small retro photos. I'm glad you're able to get it here for $35 instead of paying an exorbitant price elsewhere. 
    If you grew up in the DC/Baltimore area it is a familiar style. It has a nostalgia aspect to it.

• Options
    mcdevittpbmcdevittpb Posts: 212
    madhat181 said:
    When is the next AP drop(s)?
    OKC tomorrow 
  • Options
    lenglolenglo Quebec City, Canada Posts: 36
    I'm surprise Baltimore is not sold-out yet

• Options
    Been collecting PJ posters 25+ yrs- never post here, someone told me about this thread. OCD level is off the charts. What’s going on here? Incessant debating on which posters get “best selling” status, hitting reload nonstop to get a “event” variant when it’s the same thing as a “tour”, speculating on which “sells out”? Are you going to flip it on eBay as an ultra rare “event” variant??? People stalking artist instas to get APs and then flip em on eBay and people actually buying regulars on eBay for 100+ when they are ~40 shipped? We are one of the best fan bases out there- this poster mania is on another level. I bought a few, sure. But the incessant focus on every triviality of the poster selling process- wow. 

Btw- we are the ones doing the band a favor. We are buying already manufactured merch at retail for events that didn’t happen, and doing so through their existing e-commerce platform, none of the in person logistical nightmare issues that occur from concert poster sales. 

Also, why the utter surprise that regular way posters aren’t selling out? These are actually niche items. Sure, they sell out at the shows, you have a captive audience of rabid fans that are there and want a souvenir + the collectors + the speculators. But online, w no event, no captive audience, no promotion? They’re just isn’t the demand for 60k posters to just sell out- feels like it’s the same 100 people here buying most items lol. Sorry, not hating on anyone, do what makes you happy, this is just really surprising, feels like this focus is sort of misguided. 
  • Options
    sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,441
    GlowGirl said:
    BF89905 said:
    If you grew up in the DC/Baltimore area it is a familiar style. It has a nostalgia aspect to it.

It's known as a "boxing style" poster and they've been in use since the 1930s. As the name suggests, they were originally used to promote boxing matches, with huge text and small black & white photos of the fighters. Eventually they were used for concerts and often had very bright, contrasting colors to attract attention. Globe Poster of Baltimore was one of the most famous printers of these posters, hence the reason Ames Bros used that style for a Baltimore PJ concert.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    AK278060 said:
    Been collecting PJ posters 25+ yrs- never post here, someone told me about this thread. OCD level is off the charts. What’s going on here? Incessant debating on which posters get “best selling” status, hitting reload nonstop to get a “event” variant when it’s the same thing as a “tour”, speculating on which “sells out”? Are you going to flip it on eBay as an ultra rare “event” variant??? People stalking artist instas to get APs and then flip em on eBay and people actually buying regulars on eBay for 100+ when they are ~40 shipped? We are one of the best fan bases out there- this poster mania is on another level. I bought a few, sure. But the incessant focus on every triviality of the poster selling process- wow. 

Btw- we are the ones doing the band a favor. We are buying already manufactured merch at retail for events that didn’t happen, and doing so through their existing e-commerce platform, none of the in person logistical nightmare issues that occur from concert poster sales. 

Also, why the utter surprise that regular way posters aren’t selling out? These are actually niche items. Sure, they sell out at the shows, you have a captive audience of rabid fans that are there and want a souvenir + the collectors + the speculators. But online, w no event, no captive audience, no promotion? They’re just isn’t the demand for 60k posters to just sell out- feels like it’s the same 100 people here buying most items lol. Sorry, not hating on anyone, do what makes you happy, this is just really surprising, feels like this focus is sort of misguided. 
    We all missed the tour and have been locked in our houses for the past 5 months.  We be bored, yo.
  • Options
    AK278060 said:

I’ve enjoyed the thread....learned what f5 meant, been listening to everyone’s opinions (ocd and not). Been having fun trying to get posters.

plus it is 2020....there is literally nothing better going

glad I found the thread
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,446
    BF89905 said:
    I think there’s no set formula for what makes a poster popular.  You never know.  That’s part of the fun. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 2,002
    lenglo said:
    I'm surprise Baltimore is not sold-out yet

Me too. I guess there are several possible reasons, including:

1. The shows not actually happening means that there’s a whole bunch of inventory available that otherwise would have been bought by non-club members. Intuitively this seems like the right explanation, though I wonder how many people there could possibly be who would go through the effort required to get a PJ poster on show day who are NOT club members. 
    2. A significant number of people who would have been buying posters for shows they went to are not interested in posters for shows that didn’t happen.
    3. Flippers don’t think these will be worth their time/money/trouble due to basically reason #2.
    4. The band used the extra time over the last few months to run way more of these than they would have by March, in the interest of making up some lost revenue. 

It’s probably a combination of all of the above and some other stuff as well. In any event the lesson I take away from this is: for future tours they should pre-sell posters to any club member who wants one, to be printed and delivered some time after the show. 
  • Options
    AK278060 said:

Agree. A lot of these people are insane and have too much time on their hands. In other news, if you're looking to sell any of your collection hit me up 
  • Options
    madhat181madhat181 Posts: 367
    AK278060 said:

Hmm...12 years to make first post? This thread must have triggered you...
    For me I just like getting posters to shows I've been to or in this case shows I had tickets for.

I know some here like to buy posters to use for trades and hope to use the "hot" poster to trade for one that they want to obtain from a past show. Some just love the art and want to support the artist and the band. And some have OCD and FOMO for getting that one rare poster(grail) from the tour that everyone has to have.  I have no idea what makes the newer rare posters so limited. I recall the EMEK Rome poster was rare because there was a shipping mishap to the venue and a lot were damaged. Other than thatI have no idea why some posters cost hundreds for some resales.

• Options
    JedJed New York City Posts: 1,138
    AK278060 said:

Ouch.
  • Options
    I'm not bored at all! In fact, I'm having the time of my life! And, yes, I'm buying two each of the posters I like to help Pearl Jam make some money back from these cancelled shows. They already paid for the printing of these posters and now they need to sell 'em to recoup the expense. Plus, on a personal level, I quit drinking alcohol quite awhile back so I have lots of extra money to spend on anything I want! How much would a beer have cost at these shows - maybe $15.? Two beers = one poster, more or less! I'll have another poster, please!
  • Options
    front spacerfront spacer Earth Posts: 3,246
    AK278060 said:

Quite the 1st post.....how did we ever get along before you decided to bless this forum with your opinion?
    Indy - 08.17.98
    Indy - 08.18.00
    Indy - 06.22.03
    Indy - 05.07.10
    EV StL - 07.01.11
    Alpine Valley - 09.03.11, 09.04.11 (PJ20)
    ATL - 09.22.12 (Music Midtown Festival)
    EV Jax - 11.24.12
    Chicago - 07.19.13
    Pittsburgh - 10.11.13
    Moline - 10.17.14 (The No Code Show)
    Milwaukee - 10.20.14 (The Yield Show)
    FtL - 04.08.16
    Miami - 04.09.16
    Tampa - 04.11.16
    Lexington - 04.26.16
    Chicago - 08.20.16, 08.22.16
    Chicago - 08.18.18, 08.20.18
    Boston - 09.02.18, 09.04.18
  • Options
    tdawe said:
    It’s probably a combination of all of the above and some other stuff as well. In any event the lesson I take away from this is: for future tours they should pre-sell posters to any club member who wants one, to be printed and delivered some time after the show. 
    I've seen this idea floated here before and I love it.. Add an option for a show poster to the ticket request.
  • Options
    pbultimatepbultimate Posts: 587
    Baltimore is gonezo.
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,961
    Baltimore is gone!
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Who would've guessed?
    Post edited by shecky on
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,077
    Baltimore is gonezo.

Well that was fun! Most excitement since tour tix went on sale in January.
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,961
    I think OKC sells fast too. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    Baltimore is gonezo.

It's a hopeless... situation
    And I'm starting to believe
  • Options
    Man, glad I was on-line when these hit the store and I grabbed one. I honestly thought they wouldn't sell so fast, given that the MSG Mumford took over a week.
  • Options
    MickeyMouseMickeyMouse Posts: 1,053
    Shout out to the 3 people on eBay selling the Munk One show editions before 10C even drops them. You are the true heroes. 
    Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18 
  • Options
    pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,655
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    ryanphishesryanphishes Posts: 586
    edited August 2020
    pjpjpaul said:
    If you think about it, it makes sense.

He's hoping someone sees it tonight and buys it since there aren't very many on ebay, or maybe someone misses the AP drop and buys that before 10club sells them.

The flipper is trying to sell it for as much as they can with as little competition, before there are signed and numbered aps on ebay and show editions in the shop.

Post edited by ryanphishes on
    Dallas 2013 
    Wrigley 2016 Night 1
    Wrigley 2016 Night 2
    MSG 2020
    OKC 2020

• Options
    NSLNSL Nashville, TN Posts: 291
    pjpjpaul said:
    Speculative buying/selling.  Same thing you see on Stubhub.  People list them before onsales incase they manage to get one to flip.  
    2004-10-06 - Asheville, NC
    2013-10-30 - Charlotte, NC
    2016-04-16 - Greenville, SC
    2016-04-20 - Raleigh, NC
    2016-04-21 - Columbia, SC
    2016-05-01 - New York, NY
    2022-09-16 - Nashville, TN
    2022-09-17 - Louisville, KY
    2023-09-10 - Noblesville, IN
    2023-09-13 - Fort Worth, TX
    2023-09-15 - Fort Worth, TX
  • Options
    NSL said:
    pjpjpaul said:
    Speculative buying/selling.  Same thing you see on Stubhub.  People list them before onsales incase they manage to get one to flip.  
    And if no one buys, just delete it. No fee to list on ebay
  • Options
    KS80184KS80184 Posts: 386
    Buy with confidence from a seller with a 2 rating.