Temporary Unemployment: The COVID-19/Coronavirus Version

13»

Comments

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    deadendp said:
    @eeriepadave

How was your first day back? 

it was long (or felt it at least). after being off for 3 months my feet were pretty sore when i got home. We were pretty busy though. Worked about 30 hours this week. Next week I think i'm scheduled to work 32 or 35 hours. I'll be happy once i et back up to 40 though.

I also just figured out why I wasn't getting my unemployment in my bank. After I filed for it they sent me my pin number and all in the mail. Few days after that I got this debit card which I was wondering why I didn't think i ordered one. Well apparently it was for my unemployment. I had no clue the unemployment money went to the debit card. I figured it would just go straight to the bank. Luckily I kept it and didn't throw it out or something stupid :lol:  So I just activated it today and transferred some money to my bank.
    They did the debit card for some people's stimulus check as well, me included. I almost tossed it thinking it was one of thos credit card offers (came in an envelope with return address : "money Network Cardholder Services", no indication ot was from federal government and they never said the payment would come that way).
    After googling found out lots of folks cut them up or trashed them without knowing what they were.
    Stupid way of doing things.
    And you have to real careful to avoid paying ATM fees etc. You can transfer only once for free at your bank into your account, max transfer is $2,500.00, after that its 5 bucks fee. Sio for any family with kids your payment is over $2,500.00. 
    You get 1 free ATM withdrawal at "out of network" ATM (Which would be your bank) then its 2 dollar fee. The ATMs in the network for these cards were all located inside places like Target, Walgreens and CVS.
    I'm guessing Mnuchin thought this up to recoup millions in fees and hope that scores of folks toss their cards without realizing and the feds save money that way.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,711
    I am massively bummed these days about how COVID-19 has totally derailed my work life.  A retail used bookstore is a hard enough thing to keep in business anyway, and because I was was one of the more expendable employees there, even though the store is open again, I resigned my from position (both for the reduction in overhead costs and protection for my own higher than average at-risk health).  I'm still doing my little on-line business, but am struggling with that because I'm having trouble with vertigo and migraine headaches again after being free of all that for about a year or so.  I sure hope I can get back to working again some day.  Not having a job sucks big-time! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    I'm sorry to hear that, Brian. Hoping you can sort the migraine and vertigo issues. 

As far as work, I thrive on structure and purpose. Days I was off, I started and finished some things and other things are still in proces . There were days I found myself wandering around in circles. Depression and emptiness are a bitch. 

I am hopeful your lil online store will keep you rolling. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,872
    deadendp said:
    deadendp said:
    @eeriepadave

it was long (or felt it at least). after being off for 3 months my feet were pretty sore when i got home. We were pretty busy though. Worked about 30 hours this week. Next week I think i'm scheduled to work 32 or 35 hours. I'll be happy once i et back up to 40 though.

I also just figured out why I wasn't getting my unemployment in my bank. After I filed for it they sent me my pin number and all in the mail. Few days after that I got this debit card which I was wondering why I didn't think i ordered one. Well apparently it was for my unemployment. I had no clue the unemployment money went to the debit card. I figured it would just go straight to the bank. Luckily I kept it and didn't throw it out or something stupid :lol:  So I just activated it today and transferred some money to my bank.
    I'll go in reverse. So glad you got the unemployment figured out! That debit card thing threw several people. 

It's awesome that you have had enough business to eventually build up to 40 hours. We're still on a highly trimmed staff. 

When I got home after day 1, I was so tired I could hardly speak. I really think it was absolutely mentally exhausting to get back to work and be on heightened alert all day just trying to figure out how everything would go. Again, I believe the mask added to the exhaustion. I noticed that the foot I broke back in 2012 pained that first evening, too. Shooting pains right where I broke it. However, that was only day 1. After that, all was good. 

What is your percentage of mask wearing public in store? Just wondering. Ours has surprisingly increased over the days I worked. 
    Percentage of people wearing masks in our store is pretty high, like 95%. We do have a must wear mask policy in the store. Although I've seen one or two people take them off once they start shopping. And some still don't know how to wear one.

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    deadendp said:
    @eeriepadave

I'll go in reverse. So glad you got the unemployment figured out! That debit card thing threw several people. 

It's awesome that you have had enough business to eventually build up to 40 hours. We're still on a highly trimmed staff. 

When I got home after day 1, I was so tired I could hardly speak. I really think it was absolutely mentally exhausting to get back to work and be on heightened alert all day just trying to figure out how everything would go. Again, I believe the mask added to the exhaustion. I noticed that the foot I broke back in 2012 pained that first evening, too. Shooting pains right where I broke it. However, that was only day 1. After that, all was good. 

What is your percentage of mask wearing public in store? Just wondering. Ours has surprisingly increased over the days I worked. 
    Percentage of people wearing masks in our store is pretty high, like 95%. We do have a must wear mask policy in the store. Although I've seen one or two people take them off once they start shopping. And some still don't know how to wear one.
    Had an interesting conversation with a woman earlier. I always tell customers (mask or no) that I hang back 6'. She went on to my coworker about how she is "trying to build her immunity..." She tells me she hates wearing a mask, can't breathe with it on... She was winding herself up more and more. 

"Ma'am, you don't have to wear a mask. I do. You don't have to wear it if you don't want."

She puts it back on, rambles how it is only 2-3% effective, mine looks far thinner than hers ... (I was not taking it off to compare even though that is what she wanted.)

"I have two people at home with immune deficiency. I will always wear one. I wear my mask for you. You wear your mask for me."

Her mask remained off. I gave her the purchase she had and wished her a lovely day. 

People will wear them if they want.  I will always wear mine. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,621
    People suck.

Bigly.

Sorry that you can share with someone why you wear a mask with a personal revelation like that and that fucking piece of garbage would not put on her mask.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,867
    deadendp said:
    deadendp said:
    deadendp said:
    @eeriepadave

Had an interesting conversation with a woman earlier. I always tell customers (mask or no) that I hang back 6'. She went on to my coworker about how she is "trying to build her immunity..." She tells me she hates wearing a mask, can't breathe with it on... She was winding herself up more and more. 

"Ma'am, you don't have to wear a mask. I do. You don't have to wear it if you don't want."

She puts it back on, rambles how it is only 2-3% effective, mine looks far thinner than hers ... (I was not taking it off to compare even though that is what she wanted.)

"I have two people at home with immune deficiency. I will always wear one. I wear my mask for you. You wear your mask for me."

Her mask remained off. I gave her the purchase she had and wished her a lovely day. 

People will wear them if they want.  I will always wear mine. 
    Good for you. It sounds like you took the high road and maintained your professionalism even though this POS didn’t deserve it. I mean people don’t complain about having to wear shirts and shoes into stores. What’s the big deal about wearing a mask for a bit. It’s common courtesy. 
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Amy usually is a high road-taker. But tolerates no guff.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Thanks, all. Yeah. She was an awesome ray of sunshine.  :weary:

She was mad that she got wet when she got out of her car. (Somehow it was my fault despite raining in a biblical Noah is coming by kind of way.)

She was mad that we didn't have what she saw on Saturday. Insisted we had it or another. We didn't.  Even after I went out/up to backstock to look for her, "Well are you SURE you sold it?" My coworker's response, "Yes, I did personally on Saturday."

The item she purchased was wrapped by me. I so overwrapped that thing it was disgusting, but I didn't want to give her more to complain about. 

People gonna be people. Most are great. A few get shitty. I thank all for coming back and for supporting us. I happily sling art around for a living. What I do and where I work is not essential. We know it. We have to even be thankful for the crappy people. Generally I try to take into consideration that maybe they had a bad moment/bad day before they got to me. This lady was letting her bitch britches show on Saturday when she was in. (She came through waving her mask on Saturday. She didn't wear it. My coworker remembered her.)

There are some people, no matter what you do for them, who will never be content. In that case, you do your best, wish them well and move on. 
    Post edited by deadendp on
  • Options
    So, it appeared as though the customers were celebrating Mask-Free Tuesday.  :angry:  My favorite maskless customer today was the lady who asked me if we require customers to wear them.  "No, we do not require customers to wear them, but we request that you consider it."  She put one on.  Grumbled and complained about how she just can't wait until this is done.  The embroidery on her shirt told me where she works-- The Cleveland Clinic. :weary: 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Our company, Stein Mart, just filed for chapter 11 😕
    Post edited by eeriepadave on
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,621
    Sorry to hear that Dave
      You had heard this was coming, though?
    (I had heard it was expected and I don't work for the company, but work supporting retailers.)
    Rough times.  Looks like they are closing most stores ...did they share with you if your location is closing?
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that Dave
      You had heard this was coming, though?
    (I had heard it was expected and I don't work for the company, but work supporting retailers.)
    Rough times.  Looks like they are closing most stores ...did they share with you if your location is closing?
    Kinda. Business has been slow since we re-opened, but I figured it was everywhere since the pandemic. Thought it would pick up in the fall. There were a few signs here and there since last week, I guess.

We already got the going out of business/store closing signs yesterday. Doesn't look good for stores around here. Not sure which, if any will remain open. Not sure when our last day will be yet though.

Might try to get a job at UPS, applied last year and had an interview but just didn't work out at that time.

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,763
    very sorry to hear this, brother. The year has been shit to say the least. Hope things turn for the better very soon for you.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    Damn. I hope you come out of this in a better place. 
  • Options
    Sorry to hear this, Dave. Hope things get better soon. Good luck if you end up going for the UPS job. Hang in there. 
  • Options
    I am so very sorry to hear this. 
  • Options

Well we closed our store to the public on Oct. 25. I was there for a few days after just to help clean up and whatnot. Right now on unemployment but did find another job through indeed.com which I start on Nov. 30. Little nervous cause it's different. Got out of retail which is what I wanted. It's kinda temporary but after a month or so if they want to keep me I guess i would be permanent. Starting out it's about the same pay but if they keep me they'll raise it, so that's cool. Also it's closer (like a few miles away from me).
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options

Well we closed our store to the public on Oct. 25. I was there for a few days after just to help clean up and whatnot. Right now on unemployment but did find another job through indeed.com which I start on Nov. 30. Little nervous cause it's different. Got out of retail which is what I wanted. It's kinda temporary but after a month or so if they want to keep me I guess i would be permanent. Starting out it's about the same pay but if they keep me they'll raise it, so that's cool. Also it's closer (like a few miles away from me).
    Congrats on the new job, Dave. It is exciting to switch careers. I hope you like it, and get to stay on. It is great that you found something new so fast. Good luck.

• Options
    GlowGirl said:

Congrats on the new job, Dave. It is exciting to switch careers. I hope you like it, and get to stay on. It is great that you found something new so fast. Good luck.

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:

Agreed! Especially in this market. 

By the way, leaving retail was one of the best things I’ve done for myself. I hope the same for you :)
  • Options
    Could be a big win for you, not having to deal with the public!
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    GlowGirl said:

Agreed! Especially in this market. 

By the way, leaving retail was one of the best things I’ve done for myself. I hope the same for you :)

Yeah i needed to get out of retail. I didn't mind it too much but i know it was something i didn't want to continue doing for the rest of my life.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD