MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    #joekellyforpresident2020 :lol:
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Orel Hershiser after Altuve strikes out 'guessing is harder than knowing'. awesome.  
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    edited July 2020
    pjhawks said:
    Orel Hershiser after Altuve strikes out 'guessing is harder than knowing'. awesome.  
    That was awesome. It's a shame the Astro' can't face the fans' wrath right now but if homer announcers like Hershiser will give them hell, I'll take it. 

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Posting this here for those without access because it is worth it, and scathing. Again, worst commissioner ever (bolded text added for emphasis are mine):

https://theathletic.com/1961530/2020/07/30/elusive-details-inconsistent-protocols-why-didnt-mlb-stop-marlins-phillies/
    By Meghan Montemurro and Jayson Stark 44m ago

Four days later, baseball is still feeling the ramifications from Sunday’s Marlins game against the Phillies at Citizens Bank Park.

In particular, the timeline of what the teams and league knew, and when they knew it, remains murky. Plenty of questions are still unanswered. Nobody from Major League Baseball or the Marlins has publicly provided detailed answers about the behind-the-scenes decisions or protocols that led the league to determine it was safe to play Sunday. What we do know is this: By the time the Marlins and Phillies took the field for the 1:05 p.m. start, three Miami players had learned they’d tested positive for COVID-19. A fourth had learned of a positive test two days earlier. Miami’s scheduled starting pitcher, José Ureña, was scratched from the game Sunday and put on the injured list the next day without an injury designation.

On Thursday, another positive result raised the Marlins’ total to 17 players and two coaches who’ve tested positive for COVID-19 since Friday, sources told The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal. The Marlins remain in quarantine in a Philadelphia hotel.

People within the Phillies organization have been frustrated this week by the lack of communication from the league, sources said. Phillies general manager Matt Klentak spent nearly 40 minutes Wednesday afternoon addressing the media on a range of issues resulting from the Marlins’ virus outbreak. Yet the picture of why Sunday’s game was played remains incomplete.

Klentak said the Phillies found out about the Marlins’ three positive tests Sunday around noon, about the same time it was publicly reported by media outlets. At the time of first pitch, Klentak said the team “knew some but not all details,” though he did not explain what that entailed. He noted that the decision to play, or not play, is determined by MLB.

All I can tell you is that there was plenty of communication before that game,” Klentak said. “There were others at the league level who knew about the positive test before we did. So the determination was made at that point that it was safe.

“Obviously, the escalation of that came on Monday with nine more positives. That’s what led to a lot of the scheduling changes that are now taking place.”

When there are positive tests on a team, MLB is responsible for relaying those results to the club. But how open must teams be with each other? Health privacy laws create another layer for teams to navigate.

“There’s obviously a broader safety component to this that affects other players and staff in that clubhouse or in the opposing clubhouse,” Klentak said. “There is a fair bit of communication, not just among teams but with the league centralizing that. The league has taken on a lot of the burden in this to make sure that information is changing hands efficiently and that players and staff are kept as safe as possible.”

However, an epidemiologist working in professional sports – who requested anonymity because he is not authorized by his employer to speak publicly – told The Athletic he is concerned by how baseball has handled the Marlins’ outbreak and the continued issues stemming from Sunday’s game being played at Citizens Bank Park. He cited a seeming lack of communication or miscommunication among teams and said MLB’s protocols raise serious questions about how communication should be handled for similar situations in the future when a team has multiple positive tests.

The epidemiologist said it can’t be left up to players to decide whether to play in a situation like the one the Marlins found themselves in on Sunday.

“There has to be some medical intervention,” he said. “There has to be someone who can say, ‘This is what we have,’ and can say, ‘We need to stop it here.'”

He said if the Phillies don’t turn up any positive tests by Saturday, the probability is low that any would surface after that as a result of last weekend’s games against the Marlins. But a lack of positive tests among Phillies players or coaching staff doesn’t eliminate the problems highlighted by the Marlins fiasco. The sports epidemiologist also questioned whether baseball’s protocols communicate enough urgency about the dangers of multiple positive tests on a team and the corresponding response.

“It’s urgent to try to stay ahead of this,” he said, “because you can’t catch up to it once you fall behind.”

One thing that has been puzzling to the Phillies, and other teams as well, is the apparent inconsistency with which MLB has handled testing issues since the regular season began, compared to the way similar issues were handled before Opening Day. During Aaron Nola’s intake screening process when he reported for summer training camp, for instance, it was determined through contact tracing that he had been exposed to someone who’d tested positive for COVID-19. Nola was required to quarantine for one week and missed multiple workouts, even though he never tested positive.

Yet in the Marlins’ case, MLB seemed, at least from the Phillies’ perspective, to treat the news of three positive tests with less caution than it showed throughout training camp. In addition to the positive test results revealed Sunday, a fourth Marlins player had learned two days earlier of his own positive test. And infectious disease experts were already questioning why MLB didn’t consider this to be an outbreak, considering that Marlins players had spent the past several days in close contact on two flights and in their dugout and clubhouse.

So, it was difficult for Phillies officials to understand, sources say, why Nola was prevented from simply working out, whereas the Marlins were able to play a game. If the same standard had been applied, those officials wondered, how would the Marlins even have had enough non-exposed players to field a team?

Commissioner Rob Manfred addressed this question during an in-studio interview on MLB Network on Monday, saying that contact tracing was done on the four initial Marlins’ positive tests and, as a result, “a small number of players who met the CDC guidelines … were quarantined.” Neither the Marlins nor the league has identified those players.

When asked Wednesday about the contact tracing and what explanation the Phillies were given by MLB for playing Sunday, Klentak deferred the question to the league or a Marlins official.

“I don’t know that I’m in the position to answer that,” he said.

Klentak confirmed Wednesday that no Phillies players or coaches had tested positive since Friday, when the series against the Marlins began, though a member of the Phillies’ visitors clubhouse staff did test positive. Phillies personnel were tested Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Klentak said he expects they will be tested again Thursday and will continue daily testing for the foreseeable future. Because of the typical delay between exposure to the virus and positive tests, Phillies personnel are most concerned about the test results due back between Thursday and Saturday, sources say.

By not stepping in and preventing the Marlins from playing Sunday, MLB now finds itself trying to reactively fix the problem. The Phillies are left in limbo in the process.

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    He's bad but....worst ever? You think Bud Selig would've done better? Dude presided over a cancelled world series...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    He's bad but....worst ever? You think Bud Selig would've done better? Dude presided over a cancelled world series...
    I mean yeah good point - no work stoppages....yet. And this is from a competency standpoint, too. Because otherwise I guess Gooddell would be the worst, or at least Manfred is gaining quickly here.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Commissioners are largely just the mouthpiece of their league's board of governors and most powerful owners/stakeholders.

Manfred was hand selected by the large market teams.  He is great for the status quo and the same economic model that is great for large market teams and shitty for everyone else.  
    What a fucking joke. This isn’t a real season

chinese-happy.jpg
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739

I have no problem with this.  As someone who played baseball into college, two games in a day sucks ass.  This is good for the players. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Ass sucking is bad?
    ;)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    mcgruff10 said:

I have no problem with this.  As someone who played baseball into college, two games in a day sucks ass.  This is good for the players. 
    They used to (and maybe still do) do this (7-inning double-headers) in Triple-A baseball. So it's been done in pro baseball before. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    mcgruff10 said:

Double headers used to be built into the schedule. They were common occurrences long before players were multi millionaires. 

One asterisk isn't enough for this hogwash of a season. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Yeah, I'm not going to be able to get into baseball this year. The cancelled games, rules changes and overall feel just make it seem like exhibition games the entire time. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
    Cards-Brewers game postponed for a positive Covid tests. This will keep happening.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Ass sucking is bad?
    ;)
    ha ha!  touche
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    Cards-Brewers game postponed for a positive Covid tests. This will keep happening.

Brutal.  They had to give it a shot but hard to see the season lasting much longer if this keeps happening...
    tbergs said:
    Yeah, I'm not going to be able to get into baseball this year. The cancelled games, rules changes and overall feel just make it seem like exhibition games the entire time. 
    Sums up how I'm feeling too...
    chinese-happy.jpg

Brutal.  They had to give it a shot but hard to see the season lasting much longer if this keeps happening...
    Yeah, I don't know though. I think I'd agree with giving it a shot if the plan was better, if everyone agreed on the plan. I think the plan was force-fed from the commissioner's office right? My whole thing from the beginning is when does it actually become serious and/or liable to hang on Manfred's head? When someone dies?

Yeah, I don't know though. I think I'd agree with giving it a shot if the plan was better, if everyone agreed on the plan. I think the plan was force-fed from the commissioner's office right? My whole thing from the beginning is when does it actually become serious and/or liable to hang on Manfred's head? When someone dies?

I think unless they're able to bubble them up like like the NBA it's damn near impossible to do this. Too much travel...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582

I think unless they're able to bubble them up like like the NBA it's damn near impossible to do this. Too much travel...
    Golf is making it work with a travelling bubble.  Why can't they do that?  I get that there are a lot more people but still.

I am enjoying this. Baseball is baseball and it's fun while it lasts.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722

Oh yeah definitely.  This plan was never going to work with all the travel involved.  Like Juggler said, the only plans that have a good chance of being successful are the bubble plans from the NBA and NHL.  And the NHL has a much better chance of working since it's in Canada and not in this fucking 3rd world country that we've turned into with this virus.  This all just sucks.

That's the thing - sounds like that's the only answer. So you start there - you play in a bubble. And if you can't do that, then the season should not have been been played.

Golf is making it work with a travelling bubble.  Why can't they do that?  I get that there are a lot more people but still.

I am enjoying this. Baseball is baseball and it's fun while it lasts.
    I would assume that's it. Way more people involved.
    chinese-happy.jpg

That's the thing - sounds like that's the only answer. So you start there - you play in a bubble. And if you can't do that, then the season should not have been been played.
    Wasn't that one of the early plans, to do it in AZ and FL before they (predictably) saw their spikes?
    chinese-happy.jpg

Wasn't that one of the early plans, to do it in AZ and FL before they (predictably) saw their spikes?
    Yeah, I was going to say that Disney resort with all the fields. But I think that's where the NBA is right?
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    no one will ever supplant bud light as the worst MLB commish.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    edited July 2020
    When I saw the schedule I didn't understand the travel. Why couldn't a team go to a City one time? 

Examples:

Each Division plays at each park in a 5 game Series. 

Philly goes to Baltimore and plays all 4 games at their Park and could be the Home team for 2 of the games.

Mets go to Florida(this is before all of their Positive test of course) and play Marlins 5 games and then go to Atlanta and play 5 games and then their done going to that part of the Country. 

Not sure it would all work out as I'm sure there's more into scheduling that I have no clue about, but I still think MLB could've came up with a better schedule concerning the travel then what they did.

I do know that playing a team 2 times at your Home Stadium (Mets at Red Sox) and then the next 2 days the Red Sox AT Mets.  Made no sense to me.

Post edited by cutz on