The video game thread.

Comments

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    mca47 said:
    Ghost of Tsushima looks pretty sweet!
    Def gonna get a copy this week!
    Friday morning!
  • Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658

Finished up The Last Of Us 2 last weekend and I loved every min of the game . That said I did start a New Game Plus but its just grim so I put it down after a few hours.

I think if the world was not so messed up right now I would be fine with a second playthrough and I will play it thru again just after maybe letting it sit for a month or so.

I don't get the hate for this game at all its a masterpiece from start to finish.

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    edited July 2020
    Matts3221 said:

Finished up The Last Of Us 2 last weekend and I loved every min of the game . That said I did start a New Game Plus but its just grim so I put it down after a few hours.

I think if the world was not so messed up right now I would be fine with a second playthrough and I will play it thru again just after maybe letting it sit for a month or so.

I don't get the hate for this game at all its a masterpiece from start to finish.

Very much agree here. The game is fucking beautiful, amazing storyline. I can only guess the hate is driven by a white male-dominated base in video games that have too much of voice and reach on the interwebs.

And I wish I could move through the game quicker (no spoilers please!), but between kids and work I'm moving at a snail's place. Oh, also given the reason you've provided above - hard agree, given the world we're in it just makes it that much more dour to pick up when I'm looking to get away from bad news lol. Oh, it also doesn't help my anxiety at all and that was before the pandemic (this is the only game - the 1st one too - that gets my anxiety up to a level that I ask myself why put myself through it) lol.

Can't wait for the HBO series. I'd love to have someone like Damon Lindelof get a try at it, since I could see this be a great comparison to The Leftovers meets The Walking Dead, while letting someone have their own take on it (ala Lindelof's adaptation of Watchmen). Plus I would assume you'll have Halley Gross working on it, and of course Druckman. Can't wait.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
    Matts3221 said:

Very much agree here. The game is fucking beautiful, amazing storyline. I can only guess the hate is driven by a white male-dominated base in video games that have too much of voice and reach on the interwebs.

And I wish I could move through the game quicker (no spoilers please!), but between kids and work I'm moving at a snail's place. Oh, also given the reason you've provided above - hard agree, given the world we're in it just makes it that much more dour to pick up when I'm looking to get away from bad news lol. Oh, it also doesn't help my anxiety at all and that was before the pandemic (this is the only game - the 1st one too - that gets my anxiety up to a level that I ask myself why put myself through it) lol.

Can't wait for the HBO series. I'd love to have someone like Damon Lindelof get a try at it, since I could see this be a great comparison to The Leftovers meets The Walking Dead, while letting someone have their own take on it (ala Lindelof's adaptation of Watchmen). Plus I would assume you'll have Halley Gross working on it, and of course Druckman. Can't wait.
    Lol would never spoil anything , I hate the age of spoilers and stayed away from internet as much as I could until I beat it ( took me 15 days roughly ) 10 years ago I would have gotten thru it in 3-4 days.

Also again with everything going on I found it more fun to play in 1-2 hour sessions  except for one 6 hour marathon I did on a Saturday.

• ElEl Posts: 139
    I am on the same boat. Between child and other stuff I only get little game time but the experience so far has been great. Though I will probably not replay it, I rarely do, mostly just rpgs. 
    Music is what feelings sound like.
    Almost time to pick up Ghost of Tsushima
  • VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,784
    I managed to play through every level of Super Mario 2 yesterday and beat it with no warps for the first time ever!  Did the same thing this year with Mario 1 and Mario 3 as well-- although I didn't literally play EVERY stage in Mario 3, I did manage to beat the game through all 8 worlds without using the Warp Zone.  3 Bucket list items checked off! =)
  • @VINNY GOOMBA thumbs up 
    I managed to play through every level of Super Mario 2 yesterday and beat it with no warps for the first time ever!  Did the same thing this year with Mario 1 and Mario 3 as well-- although I didn't literally play EVERY stage in Mario 3, I did manage to beat the game through all 8 worlds without using the Warp Zone.  3 Bucket list items checked off! =)

Nice!

Ghost of tsushima is living up to the hype.  
    My fav ps4 game this year so far
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    Matts3221 said:

I absolutely LOVED TLOU2!  Brilliant fn game!
    I've read the hate and have my option on why, but that also contains a ton of spoilers!
    So, I'll wait.
    Ghost of tsushima is living up to the hype.  
    My fav ps4 game this year so far
    It's really good!  I'm maybe 10 hours in and I barely opened the map.
    I was doing really good, getting a lot of legend, lot's of new techniques...all kinds of fun stuff....then I took a day off.
    The next time I played it, I immediately wandered into a Mongel territory.  Just two days prior, they'd all be dead, but they f'd me up good!
    My timing was waaaay off.
    Such a fun game!
    I was wondering if there are any Nintendo Switch players here and what would be their recommendations (besides animal crossing). Do not have anymore time to play ps4 or on pc, but should be able to get some time here and there on the switch. 

Any recommendations appreciated, can be porta from other platforms too.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited July 2020
    A hack of Nintendo resulting in 2TB of information being stolen is dripping out now.

- Early builds of games
    - demo versions of games
    - Artwork
    - Source code to games
    - uncompressed vocal takes and music
    - Unused sprites from games (several iterations of Yoshi from Super Mario World etc)
    - Text documents
    - cut 3D model of Luigi from Super Mario 64

Etc.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    El said:
    I was wondering if there are any Nintendo Switch players here and what would be their recommendations (besides animal crossing). Do not have anymore time to play ps4 or on pc, but should be able to get some time here and there on the switch. 

Any recommendations appreciated, can be porta from other platforms too.
    I think people would say the usual Nintendo hard hitters: 

Mario Kart 8 (have it on Wii-U -- best Mario Kart game released)
    Super Mario Odyssey
    Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze (if you like 2D plattformers)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    I am close to finishing Zelda.

in terms of platformers I was thinking either Mario or the Crash Bandicoot trilogy (which is also cheaper).

I was also wondering about Skyrim potentially. 
    El said:
    I am close to finishing Zelda.

in terms of platformers I was thinking either Mario or the Crash Bandicoot trilogy (which is also cheaper).

I was also wondering about Skyrim potentially. 
    Mario Odyssey was a fun game!
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    edited July 2020
    My sister was in for the first time since December due to Covid. She has respiratory issues so her, my father, and me couldn't really do much. So she and I beat Super Mario 1, 3, and World. She's come a long way since we were kids. Remember the kids that would physically move their hands when they were jumping over a pit in Mario? That's her. But she's gotten better, even beat a few boards. I let her beat Bowser at the end of each game, though she needed save-states to do it. To her credit, she refused to use the cheesy Mario 3 glitch where you don't take damage if you're small or ducking and he jumps on you...despite me suggesting it after she died a few times.

Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    Just finished Breath of the Wild. Was a fun game, enjoyed it a lot, but I do not agree with all the hype and positive responses it received upon arrival. Everyone (I read) wrote what masterpiece it is etc. but I just dont see it. I can see quite a few flaws (uneven difficulty, underwhelming final boss and ending). Still, I enjoyed it a lot, it had this something magical in it and am waiting for the sequel. 
    edited August 2020
    Got beaten by my nieces in Mario Party on switch.

Fuck videogames.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Got beaten by my nieces in Mario Party on switch.

Fuck videogames.
    Sounds fun, was that on the Switch?
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    That's awesome!!
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Really enjoying PGA Tour 2K21 so far.  The putting is really tough...took a couple rounds to get that figured out.  I haven't messed around with the course designer yet but apparently there's a ton of great courses out there that people have created that aren't featured in the game like Augusta, Pebble Beach, St. Andrews, etc.  The only bad part so far is that you aren't able to play as any of the real PGA golfers that are featured in the game.  You only play against them in career mode once you make it to the PGA Tour.....not sure why they would put Justin Thomas on the cover if you can't actually play as him.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    edited August 2020
    Really enjoying PGA Tour 2K21 so far.  The putting is really tough...took a couple rounds to get that figured out.  I haven't messed around with the course designer yet but apparently there's a ton of great courses out there that people have created that aren't featured in the game like Augusta, Pebble Beach, St. Andrews, etc.  The only bad part so far is that you aren't able to play as any of the real PGA golfers that are featured in the game.  You only play against them in career mode once you make it to the PGA Tour.....not sure why they would put Justin Thomas on the cover if you can't actually play as him.
    How does this game compare to the old EA Sports games? The fact that Pebble Beach and St. Andrews (which were on every single EA Game) and Augusta (which was on like one or two) aren't there is kind of lame, but that's cool that people are creating them. And not being to play as real PGA guys is just flat-out weird (though I was always a create-a-player guy on the EA games). But how is the game play and graphics compared to the EA games?

Just looked at the list of courses. Not bad. East Lake, TPC Sawgrass, and TPC Boston are the only ones I recall being on the old games. 
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    How does this game compare to the old EA Sports games? The fact that Pebble Beach and St. Andrews (which were on every single EA Game) and Augusta (which was on like one or two) aren't there is kind of lame, but that's cool that people are creating them. And not being to play as real PGA guys is just flat-out weird (though I was always a create-a-player guy on the EA games). But how is the game play and graphics compared to the EA games?

Just looked at the list of courses. Not bad. East Lake, TPC Sawgrass, and TPC Boston are the only ones I recall being on the old games. 

I think the licensing for those big time courses is super expensive so I get why they weren't able to do that just yet since they're pretty much starting from scratch with this game.  Game play is pretty good.....putting is really tough at first but you get used to it.  Graphics are fine but nothing special.  And honestly it has been so long since I played a golf game that I can barely remember how it compares to the old Tiger Woods games
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Got Madden waiting for me for after the kids go to bed.
    I found that playing old adventure games on the ipad is nice. Just started Full Throttle recently and enjoying it a lot! 
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Pretty cool doc on Netflix about video games called High Score

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • MayDay10 said:
    Got Madden waiting for me for after the kids go to bed.
    I got it the other day and played for the first time last night. I can't really tell the difference, but apparently it's receiving pretty poor reviews. https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2020/09/01/madden-21-glitches-compilation-video?ocid=uxbndlbing

Here's a question: can you still do a franchise season like the old days? I'm talking just picking a team, and playing out their season. Over the past few years, I've played Ultimate Team. But I don't play enough to build my team up and I get completely killed by other players online. So I wanted to go back to the old days and just play against the computer, but when I went to "franchise," it was for joining other people's leagues. I just want to pick my team (Miami), and play out their season. Can you still do that? And if so, where do you find the option? 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Overall, its not too impressive.  Presentation and all that are outstanding.  Not a big fan of their menus and interface.  

Tried ultimate team and it was rather confusing/boring.  I have been playing the MLB The Show Diamond Dynasty and that blows MUT out of the water IMO.  I will give it another chance, but overall wasnt a big fan.

Yes, there is franchise.  That is what I dove into.  Lots of options.  Again, the interface wasnt great.  Madden games for me arent well balanced, which is why I havent been able to get into them for years.  My games are very low scoring without much stat compilation or realism.  I can either have a 20-play, 75 yard drive that eats more than a quarter.... go 3 and out 10 straight time.... or get lucky on a prayer bomb pass to get 40 yards.  Games are like 16-14, 10-3, and such.  I wish I could master the sliders.