The National

Comments

• deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    deadendp said:

After the storm and rains cleared, good stuff happened. A great show last night. Blew my husband away. He's a death metal guy, but he loved it. Couldn't believe that Matt cruises put into the audience (with a corded mic and techs to go with). Matt popped in behind us. (He is the blonde blur.)

As always, I did shed some tears. It was amazing how beautifully the new album played. My husband said that hearing it live gives him a new appreciation for it. 

And Green Gloves, y'all! I got to hear Green Gloves again! :triumph:

A beautiful poster, too. :smile:

Got to hang with two great friends. Good things.  Made my heart smile. So very appreciative of this fabulous night of music. 

Awesome stuff. If you are on the fence, go ... see ... hear. 
    Saw this show a year ago. How things have changed. So very many things. :frowning: 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • toolietoolie Posts: 388
    I was supposed to be on the way to Edmonton right now to see The National live for the first time. Instead I’m sitting the the rain contemplating how good next summer is gonna be with twice the amount of tours. Strange days. 

toolie said:
    I was supposed to be on the way to Edmonton right now to see The National live for the first time. Instead I’m sitting the the rain contemplating how good next summer is gonna be with twice the amount of tours. Strange days. 
    I'm sorry to hear that.  Missed Homecoming Festival, so I feel your sadness.  Next year.  Hopefully.  
    deadendp said:
    toolie said:
    I'm sorry to hear that.  Missed Homecoming Festival, so I feel your sadness.  Next year.  Hopefully.  
    Hopefully! I joined the Cherry Tree club today feeling sorry for myself. Have you been to Homecoming before?? 
    toolie said:
    deadendp said:
    toolie said:
    Hopefully! I joined the Cherry Tree club today feeling sorry for myself. Have you been to Homecoming before?? 
    I have! It was fabulous!

Welcome to Cherry Tree! I tell you, the membership vinyl is very thoughtfully put together and they generally come on time! (This year was a lil behind, but it was a production issue. It was only months behind, not years.)

They released a show on vinyl last time for us. :smile:

The presale for Homecoming was great. Scored the $99 weekend tix that ended up selling out in the first 14 minutes. 

I do love The National. 
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Guys, if you love this band, check out the new taylor Swift album. NTL vibes (and members) all over it. 

• JedJed New York City Posts: 1,134
    Guys, if you love this band, check out the new taylor Swift album. NTL vibes (and members) all over it. 

Agreed.

I happen to be a massive Pearl Jam fan who also loves Taylor Swift and The National. This new album is amazing. First of all, I LOVE that she dropped a second album just 8 months after her last massive release, (Lover). This gives me hope that a follow-up to Gigaton might really be just around the corner. Second, the vibe of this album is just perfect and the National and Bon Iver influence on her is apparent and so nice.
    deadendp said:
    toolie said:
    deadendp said:
    toolie said:
    I have! It was fabulous!

Welcome to Cherry Tree! I tell you, the membership vinyl is very thoughtfully put together and they generally come on time! (This year was a lil behind, but it was a production issue. It was only months behind, not years.)

They released a show on vinyl last time for us. :smile:

The presale for Homecoming was great. Scored the $99 weekend tix that ended up selling out in the first 14 minutes. 

I do love The National. 
    That vinyl is a big reason I joined. Hopefully they release some extra when the next one comes out! It seems like a well run club. 
    Hopefully after this pandemic I will make it down south to check the festival out! That and Eaux Claire’s would be pretty cool. 
    This Taylor Swift album is the only thing I've listened to all day. 
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    It’s an exceptional album.
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Did you order all 8 different vinyl versions?
    Taylor Swift isn't my gig, but I'll give it a listen. 
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    deadendp said:
    T. Swift isn’t in my wheelhouse either, but this new album is stunning. Not what i would have expected. 
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited July 2020
    deadendp said:
    T. Swift isn’t in my wheelhouse either, but this new album is stunning. Not what i would have expected. 
    I'm a fan, her songwriting is so good, and WOW this album takes it all to the next level. Could be her best work and it's her 8th album.
    MedozK said:
    Did you order all 8 different vinyl versions?
    Ha. No just 1.
    MedozK said:
    deadendp said:
    I'm a fan, her songwriting is so good, and WOW this album takes it all to the next level. Could be her best work and it's her 8th album.
    Yeah, she keeps getting better and better. Been a fan since Speak Now (well, maybe the Fearless singles) and a massive fan since 1989.

• Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    Loving Serpentine Prison so far. Has anyone seen the deluxe bonus tracks anywhere yet?
    If you bought from his website, they sent you a DL of them.
  • May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,643
    Really enjoying his new album too 
  • redrawredraw Posts: 1,271
    So did anyone happen to get extra copies of the reissues from Cherry Tree this week?? 
    They were all gone before I woke up over here in Aus :anguished:
    '95: Brisbane BEC March 21 & 22 '98: Brisbane BEC March 14 & 15 '03: Brad Surfers Paradise Troccadero Jan 11
    '03: Brisbane BEC Feb 8 '06: Brisbane BEC Nov 10 & 11 '09: Brisbane QSAC Nov 25
    '11: EV Solo Brisbane QPAC March 10, 12 & 13 '11: PJ20 Alpine Valley Sep 3 & 4
    '14: Gold Coast BDO Jan 19 EV Solo QPAC Feb 22, 23 & 25
  • quasiquasi Posts: 492
    edited November 2020
    Add me to the list of new converts of Taylor Swift...never bought one of her albums before, but Folklore is awesome. Listening to it non-stop lately. Who would've thought, haha. 
    SEA 9/20/92, SEA 12/7/93, SEA 12/31/94 (MS), SEA 11/5/00, SEA 11/6/00, SEA 12/8/02, SEA 12/9/02, BEN 10/22/03, GOR 9/1/05, SD 7/7/06, LA 7/10/06, LA 7/12/06, LA (EV) 4/12/08, LA (EV) 4/13/08, LA 7/12/08, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/7/09, SEA 12/6/13, SEA 8/8/18
    quasi said:
    Add me to the list of new converts of Taylor Swift...never bought one of her albums before, but Folklore is awesome. Listening to it non-stop lately. Who would've thought, haha. 
    I can’t believe I’m saying this, but...
    did you see the live video on Disney? Something about a cabin or woods or something. It’s her and Aaron Dessner and Jack Antonoff finally playing those songs in person together. The Justin Vernon duet is so good. 
  • May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,643
    Song with Bon Iver is amazing!!
    Folklore is the best album of the year IMO.

• marjenmarjen CT Posts: 792
    The Disney special for folklore was amazing. I loved the album to begin with but the new versions are even better. I agree it may be her best work and after getting sidetracked a bit her last few albums hoping she kind of settles here going forward. 
    deadendp said:
    I guess she is in my wheelhouse lol. 

sidetracked? 

• sidetracked? 

This is the Taylor Swift thread, no? 
    marjen said:
    I agree it may be her best work and after getting sidetracked a bit her last few albums hoping she kind of settles here going forward. 
    This is what I was referring too. I don't get the sidetracked comment. She made 4 heavy pop albums in a row. And I don't think Folklore is anything like her first 3. If anything, folklore is deviation.

marjen said:
    I agree it may be her best work and after getting sidetracked a bit her last few albums hoping she kind of settles here going forward. 
    This is what I was referring too. I don't get the sidetracked comment. She made 4 heavy pop albums in a row. And I don't think Folklore is anything like her first 3. If anything, folklore is deviation.

All her albums were always country/pop/rock based until reputation. That was also first electronic album vs the rest which are real instrument based, well 1984 start the turn in that direct but to me reputation is the big outlier.