Different uses for everyday things.

2»

Comments

• deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Ignore the weeds??? I simply cannot do that. Those bad boys are ripe for the picking! 
    Agreed. Went back to work. Was exhausted. If I bent down to pick them, I would have probably just curled up and slept with them. 

I promise. Weed pickin' this weekend. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    deadendp said:
    Ignore the weeds??? I simply cannot do that. Those bad boys are ripe for the picking! 
    Agreed. Went back to work. Was exhausted. If I bent down to pick them, I would have probably just curled up and slept with them. 

One of the worst things to do is pull weeds. The past couple years, I've started doing it a bit differently. I try to do small sections at a time. Get home from work, spend 3-5 minutes pulling them from the area between the driveway and house. The next day, run through the east and west sides of the house (usually a minimal amount). Then the north. Then, when I go check the pool chemicals and debris catcher, I look for any to pick while I'm going out there. 

When done consistently, it really does only take a few minutes to prevent the weeds from becoming overbearing. And when you do your own landscaping, the worst thing to see are weeds. I think of it as the same approach as parking further away at the grocery store. Or taking the stairs rather than an elevator. Every little bit helps.

Spending 2 hours on your hands and knees pulling weeds on a hot and humid Saturday just flat out sucks. 

Maybe I  should have put this in the "what's growing" thread.  B)
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    deadendp said:

One of the worst things to do is pull weeds. The past couple years, I've started doing it a bit differently. I try to do small sections at a time. Get home from work, spend 3-5 minutes pulling them from the area between the driveway and house. The next day, run through the east and west sides of the house (usually a minimal amount). Then the north. Then, when I go check the pool chemicals and debris catcher, I look for any to pick while I'm going out there. 

When done consistently, it really does only take a few minutes to prevent the weeds from becoming overbearing. And when you do your own landscaping, the worst thing to see are weeds. I think of it as the same approach as parking further away at the grocery store. Or taking the stairs rather than an elevator. Every little bit helps.

Spending 2 hours on your hands and knees pulling weeds on a hot and humid Saturday just flat out sucks. 

Maybe I  should have put this in the "what's growing" thread.  B)
    I did landscaping for a few summers and my job was deweeding the beds and pushing the little mower.

Let me tell you that I hated, hated, hated new houses as they were full of ignored beds just overflowing w weeds...  But like you said, keep on it and a cultivators and a few plucks will clear them out really quick.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I can't tell the difference between weeds and notweeds. IMO, if it's green, that's better than dirt that will just turn to mud.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    My husband told me that he realizes that our decision to skip mulch this year was probably a big miss on our end because holy hell the weeds.  I need a load of gravel brought in too for partially the same reason.  We'll suffer through this year and hope for things not to be shut down again next spring.  
    deadendp said:
    My husband told me that he realizes that our decision to skip mulch this year was probably a big miss on our end because holy hell the weeds.  I need a load of gravel brought in too for partially the same reason.  We'll suffer through this year and hope for things not to be shut down again next spring.  
    Once there is some sediment in the gravel and weeds can grow, it's the ultimate pain in the ass for pulling weeds in the rocks.
    edited June 2020
    deadendp said:
    Once there is some sediment in the gravel and weeds can grow, it's the ultimate pain in the ass for pulling weeds in the rocks.
    My daughter and I pull driveway weeds weekly.  It is a giant pain in the ass.  Looks great one day, it rains and looks like we haven't touched it in a month of Sundays.  Grandpa used to treat driveway weeds with salt.  I've also read that boiling water will kill them.  I used to use a combination of epsom salts, vinegar and I think Murphy's as an organic/less chemical method of killing weeds.  Eh.  It did okay.  I am not going the chemical route.  I would rather mow my driveway first. 
    Post edited by deadendp on
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    brianlux said:
    Bent open paper clip or bobby pin:  ear wax remover.  (Used cautiously!)
    Oh thank goodness I'm not the only one!
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    No Qtips?

i use bent clips on our our glass bowl in between true cleanings.
    I use buy a new bowl. 
    Well pish posh!

We actually have a few extras we use as art, so may have to make do with those until we can physically go to a smoke shop. I like heft and a good fit. 

(that’s what she said)
    What's a true cleaning? I've always been under the impression that unless one is willing to don a lab coat, then the best one could do was scrape around the areas you can reach with bent clip, cotton swabs, toothpicks, whathaveyou.
    Epsom salt and rubbing alcohol are great for the abrasion and loosening the hardened gunk.  Formula 420 is pretty effective too, as is Agent Orange.  I put it all in a plastic baggie and get the old elbow grease going.
    Alcohol & salt are the way to go. I usually soak mine in a jar of iso-91, rinse, then add the salt & a few drops of water and shake it up.  Sometimes takes 2 or 3 salt applications but it always comes out looking like the day I bought it.  Acetone works great, too, but I don't recommend it because of the odor.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    No Qtips?

I use buy a new bowl. 
    Well pish posh!

We actually have a few extras we use as art, so may have to make do with those until we can physically go to a smoke shop. I like heft and a good fit. 

(that’s what she said)
    What's a true cleaning? I've always been under the impression that unless one is willing to don a lab coat, then the best one could do was scrape around the areas you can reach with bent clip, cotton swabs, toothpicks, whathaveyou.
    Epsom salt and rubbing alcohol are great for the abrasion and loosening the hardened gunk.  Formula 420 is pretty effective too, as is Agent Orange.  I put it all in a plastic baggie and get the old elbow grease going.
    Alcohol & salt are the way to go. I usually soak mine in a jar of iso-91, rinse, then add the salt & a few drops of water and shake it up.  Sometimes takes 2 or 3 salt applications but it always comes out looking like the day I bought it.  Acetone works great, too, but I don't recommend it because of the odor.
    Hmm.... I wonder if Goo Gone would be safe to use. I’m pretty sure it would work. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    I would use wine corks as a bobbin for fishing.

Poor man's fishing tackle.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    Want to remove rust?  Use vinegar and aluminum foil.

You're welcome.
    Yeah, thank you! I will try this - getting some rust patches on my shower curtain rod.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    edited June 2020
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    No Qtips?

I use buy a new bowl. 
    Well pish posh!

(that’s what she said)
    Hmm.... I wonder if Goo Gone would be safe to use. I’m pretty sure it would work. 

Citrasolv is similar to Goo Gone but is non toxic.  We've been using it for years to clean sticker residue and other goop from books and records jackets.  On very porous papers or porous paper boards it can leave a light stain (but which goes away most of the time after it dries), but works great on semi-glossy to glossy surfaces, non-plastic counter tops, and metals.  But never use it on plastic.  Some hard plastics are OK (it can be stores in most plastic bottles just fine) but it will ruin CD jewel case, LP's and other plastic surfaces.  But other than that, it's great stuff! 

httpsimagessquarespace-cdncomcontentv15893ac5737c581b12d50acfe1487941958742-JYJ7ISGDKB1A4Z7WXUDFke17ZwdGBToddI8pDm48kB-cJOxgqFiKmM57qhYt1ttZw-zPPgdn4jUwVcJE1ZvWQUxwkmyExglNqGp0IvTJZUJFbgE-7XRK3dMEBRBhUpyD8sq_4LUyMJasJQi2tvTXKLjrOetTm2ZwNyAGBdyCtr0RFMNK2wcZZvzYe5BQdawcitrasolv-cleaning-products
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Yard fertilizer: For those with city sized lawns.

1c. Listerine 
    1c. Epsom salt 
    1c. Ammonia 
    1c. Liquid dish soap
    1 can stale beer
    1 can coca cola 

Put ingredients on an Ortho 'Dial-A-Spray' and pepper sure Epsom salt has dissolved. Attach to hose. Do this routinely and your lawn will be green. You're welcome.
    I'd love to try this and take before and after photos @darwinstheory
  • I needed to know this, thank you @brianlux
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    I needed to know this, thank you @brianlux

You're very welcome.  I try to be a useful engine!
    Really Useful Engine  Thomas the Tank Engine Wikia  Fandom

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Bird feed is making the grass grow back thicker than ever!
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,396
    This little bad boy pops sim cards out of cells better than a sewing needle!