Options

Different uses for everyday things.

deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
edited June 2020 in All Encompassing Trip

I would typically refer to this as a noodle getter, but in my house this particular model is the back scratcher. Heavy duty. Built for the job. Could be a flesh ripper if not used gently. 

What is your weird everyday item repurposed to a new/different use? 
2014: Cincinnati
2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    If anyone says their “back massager”...

(I know I have a few - not massagers! - that I have yet to think of.)
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Yeah...we found Grandma's "back massager" when cleaning out the house. :fearful:
    Post edited by deadendp on
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,915
    edited June 2020
    deadendp said:
    Yeah...we found Grandma's "back massager" when cleaning out the house. :fearful:
    Lol 🤣🤣🤣

I remember seeing those “massagers” being advertised in catalogues with the model massaging her neck. 
    Post edited by Fifthelement on
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Don't eat any long pasta at the @deadendp house.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:

We have one for noodle gettin'. The back scratcher is only for back scratching. :smiley:
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    deadendp said:
    dankind said:

We have one for noodle gettin'. The back scratcher is only for back scratching. :smiley:
    I use that when boiling eggs.
  • Options
    Want to remove rust?  Use vinegar and aluminum foil.

You're welcome.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Tide and aluminum foil remove tarnish from jewelry, too. It's what we use at the gallery. 
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    Tide and aluminum foil remove tarnish from jewelry, too. It's what we use at the gallery. 
    I would soak jewelry in pure dish soap every now and again.  It seemed to work.  Never tried to remove a tarnish though.

TY!
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Sometimes I use a Bic lighter as a guitar slide.
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    Sometimes I use a Bic lighter as a guitar slide.
    I used a deepwell socket before!
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    Bent open paper clip or bobby pin:  ear wax remover.  (Used cautiously!)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    No Qtips?

i use bent clips on our our glass bowl in between true cleanings.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    I once walked down the hall with a QTip in my ear.  My husband asked me something.  My daughter asked me something.  Instead of taking the QTip out, I jammed it into my ear.  Oh, it hurt.  Felt better but then three weeks later, I started getting dried blood out of my ear.  Kind of freaked me out.  Went to the doctor.  Apparently I tore up the inside of my ear earning me a lecture and prescription ear drops.  He told me to never put a QTip in my ear again.

"But what if it itches?"  

He told me some different things to put into it.  Um, no.  However, I am very careful with QTips and do not use them while in motion.  

I can only imagine what I could do with an open paper clip!  :fearful: 
  • Options
    And I use filled water bottles as arm weights. Need to fill them with something heavier or graduate to actual wrist and ankle weights :joy:
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    No Qtips?

I used a Q-tip once and instead of removing the wax, it pushed it in deeply and plugged the ear up.  So to get that hunk of wax out (and this fits the thread topic!) I took a turkey baster and filled it with warm water and squeezed it into the plugged ear.  I had to do it a few times before it finally worked.  Only problem is, flushing the ear that way made me really dizzy.  But once the dizziness subsided, at least the ear canal was clear again!

So now I just carefully go in and scoop the wax out with an opened up paper clip.  Much caution is advised- you wouldn't want someone to bump you when doing that or have a cat or dog jump up, etc.   Works well when done safely though.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,874
    I put sunglasses on when I am cutting really strong onions. It keeps my eyes from burning. Lately, I have been on a Vidalia onion kick so haven’t needed them as much. But they really do work. 
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,463
    there’s an elephant in the room, but I’m not going there....
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    there’s an elephant in the room, but I’m not going there....
    Thank you. :kiss::rofl: 
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    No Qtips?

I use buy a new bowl. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    No Qtips?

I use buy a new bowl. 
    Well pish posh!

We actually have a few extras we use as art, so may have to make do with those until we can physically go to a smoke shop. I like heft and a good fit. 

(that’s what she said)
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    No Qtips?

I use buy a new bowl. 
    Well pish posh!

We actually have a few extras we use as art, so may have to make do with those until we can physically go to a smoke shop. I like heft and a good fit. 

(that’s what she said)
    What's a true cleaning? I've always been under the impression that unless one is willing to don a lab coat, then the best one could do was scrape around the areas you can reach with bent clip, cotton swabs, toothpicks, whathaveyou.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    No Qtips?

I use buy a new bowl. 
    Well pish posh!

(that’s what she said)
    What's a true cleaning? I've always been under the impression that unless one is willing to don a lab coat, then the best one could do was scrape around the areas you can reach with bent clip, cotton swabs, toothpicks, whathaveyou.
    Epsom salt and rubbing alcohol are great for the abrasion and loosening the hardened gunk.  Formula 420 is pretty effective too, as is Agent Orange.  I put it all in a plastic baggie and get the old elbow grease going.
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,763
    Yard fertilizer: For those with city sized lawns.

1c. Listerine 
    1c. Epsom salt 
    1c. Ammonia 
    1c. Liquid dish soap
    1 can stale beer
    1 can coca cola 

Put ingredients on an Ortho 'Dial-A-Spray' and pepper sure Epsom salt has dissolved. Attach to hose. Do this routinely and your lawn will be green. You're welcome.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,623
    What about the spots where your dog pees?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    I just tilled and reseeded. 

:angry:

But the bitch will just scorch more spots. I hear that bitches are worse in this regard. Can anyone verify that? Sounds sexist to me. 

It would be nice if the people who actually wanted this dog would walk her rather than letting her out back to scorch my damn lawn. :angry: 

Also, my bed was made earlier. Goddamn it! :angry:

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Those spots...especially if your dog is a bitch, should if possible be sprayed with water right after the dog pisses. That will help to dilute it and reduce burning. 

I have also heard there is some kind of rock you can buy that you place in their water bowl. I guess it has something in it that somehow alters their urine and reduces splotches of dead grass. Not sure of its effectiveness nor any potential health issues it could cause.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    Here's an interesting article about various uses for WD40.  (I'm guessing though that the author is incorrect in saying the main ingredient in WD-40 is fish oil):

Main Ingredient in WD 40...

Before you read to the end, does anybody know what the main ingredient of WD-40 is?  

You definitely will be wiser after reading this!  

Don't lie and don't cheat. WD-40. Who knew?   

I had a neighbor who had bought a new pickup. I got up very early one Sunday morning and saw that someone had sprayed painted red all around the sides of this beige truck (for some unknown reason). I went over, woke him up, and told him the bad news. He was very upset and was trying to figure out what to do probably nothing until Monday morning, since nothing was open. Another neighbor came out and told him to get his WD-40 and clean it off. It removed the unwanted paint beautifully and did not harm his paint job that was on the truck. I'm impressed! 

WD-40 who knew? 'Water Displacement #40' The product began from a search for a rust preventative solvent and degreaser to protect missile parts. WD-40 was created in 1953 by three technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical Company. Its name comes from the project that was to find a 'water displacement' compound... They were successful with the fortieth formulation, thus WD-40. The Convair Company bought it in bulk to protect their atlas missile parts. 

Ken East (one of the original founders) says there is nothing in WD-40 that would hurt you. When you read the ' shower door' part, try it. It's the first thing that has ever cleaned that spotty shower door. If yours is plastic, it works just as well as glass. It's a miracle! Then try it on your stove top .... 

Viola! It's now shinier than it's ever been. You'll be amazed. 

Here are some other uses: 

1. Protects silver from tarnishing.  

2. Removes road tar and grime from cars.. 

3. Cleans and lubricates guitar strings.. 

4. Gives floors that 'just-waxed' sheen without making them slippery. 

5. Keeps flies off cows. 

6. Restores and cleans chalkboards. 

7. Removes lipstick stains. 

8. Loosens stubborn zippers. 

9. Untangles jewelry chains. 

10. Removes stains from stainless steel sinks. 

11. Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill. 

12. Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing. 

13. Removes tomato stains from clothing.

14. Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots. 

15. Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors. 

16. Keeps scissors working smoothly. 

17. Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes. 

18. It removes black scuff marks from the kitchen floor! Use WD-40 for those nasty tar and scuff Marks on flooring.. It doesn't seem to harm the finish and you won't have to scrub nearly as hard to get them off. Just remember to open some windows if you have a lot of marks. 

19. Bug guts will eat away the finish on your car if not removed quickly! Use WD-40! 

20. Gives a children's playground gym slide a shine for a super fast slide. 

21. Lubricates gear shift and mower deck lever for ease of handling on riding mowers. 

22. Rids kids rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises. 

23. Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open. 

24. Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close. 

25. Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well as vinyl bumpers. 

26. Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles. 

27. Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans 

28. Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons, and bicycles for easy handling. 

29. Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly.

30. Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools. 

31. Removes splattered grease on stove. 

32. Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging. 

33. Lubricates prosthetic limbs. 

34. Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell). 

35. Removes all traces of duct tape. 

36. Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve arthritis pain. 

37. Florida's favorite use is: 'cleans and removes love bugs from grills and bumpers..' 

38. The favorite use in the state of New York , WD-40 protects the Statue of Liberty from the elements. 

39. WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a little on live bait or lures and you will be catching the big one in no time. Also, it's a lot cheaper than the chemical attractants that are made for just that purpose. Keep in mind though, using some chemical laced baits or lures for fishing are not allowed in some locations.

40. Use it for fire ant bites. It takes the sting away immediately and stops the itch.

41. WD-40 is great for removing crayon from walls. Spray on the mark and wipe with a clean rag. 

42. Also, if you've discovered that your teenage daughter has washed and dried a tube of lipstick with a load of laundry, saturate the lipstick spots with WD-40 and rewash. Presto! The lipstick is gone! 

43. If you sprayed WD-40 on the distributor cap, it would displace the moisture and allow the car to start.

P. S. The basic ingredient is FISH OIL.

• Options

Ignore the weeds, but seedling guards to keep the asshole chipmunk from eating my lil plants. 
  • Options
    Ignore the weeds??? I simply cannot do that. Those bad boys are ripe for the picking!