Options

Thoughts about PJ playing inside gigs

guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
Just noticed a post on another forum saying that the band were reluctant to play inside gigs.. Just got me thinking if it was true... AND if so are there many other bands thinking the same cos if so it's definitely not going to be good for the music venues is it...??!! 

Comments

• Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,076
    Until there is a vaccine, I think *most* bands are reluctant to do any shows. The pro sports leagues are a jumbled mess right now, and that is taking into account they would be paying without fans, which concerts obviously cannot do. Life is just going to be on hiatus until this shit is gone.

• Options
    MKSNYCMKSNYC NYC Posts: 323
    I am hoping we see more PPV live-streams happening.  Just watched the Allman Betts Band from the Belly Up in Aspen and it was a lot of fun.  I would absolutely pay for a PJ live-stream!
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    i think we got a long wait ahead of us unfortunately
    danny d
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,709
    all the signs are that anything indoors would be a reduced capacity which would seem to rule out GA for the forseeable

imagine only allowing a third of the floor in and still having them squished at the front trying to catch Eds eye LOL

• Options
    Thanks for the replies... Yea just wanted to get some of your thoughts.. Has been mentioned on efests that they might play Glastonbury but I don't reckon it'll happen especially as the next year's headliners will be the same as those that would have been playing this year.... 
    Don't think I'll ever see the day pj play Glastonbury.. 
  • Options
    chilisuarezchilisuarez USA / Canada Posts: 110
    danny said:
    i think we got a long wait ahead of us unfortunately
    This. 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,159
    At this point I'm not entirely sure if there's a big difference between an indoor arena our an outdoor amphitheater.  I'm sure being outside helps a little, but it's the social distancing aspect that makes it challenging.

To do proper distancing you'd only be able to fill a fraction of the venue.  Then you have to figure out how to make concert economics on a big venue with a small to medium sized capacity.

I'm not sure what the solution is.  I agree with the comments above, that the solution might end up being a wait until after there is a vaccine or a treatment before resuming shows.    Doing them safely with Coronavirus gone wild, might not be plausible.
  • Options
    Would any here go to a festival.... Any festival... In which pj decided to play.. Rock Werchter in Belgium... 
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,957
    Would any here go to a festival.... Any festival... In which pj decided to play.. Rock Werchter in Belgium... 
    Are we talking about next year? If so, and assuming coronavirus is being managed at a level where festivals are possible, then I would certainly go for it. I've not stepped in a pub or the office since this all started, but PJ live would be very hard to pass up. 

I should be flying from Krakow to Budapest today so feeling particularly down about the tour being cancelled.
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,517
    pdalowsky said:
    all the signs are that anything indoors would be a reduced capacity which would seem to rule out GA for the forseeable

imagine only allowing a third of the floor in and still having them squished at the front trying to catch Eds eye LOL

Lord knows the competition for a wine bottle or tambourine will be less intense. Game on!
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910

I'd go to New Zealand
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,709
    100 Pacer said:
    pdalowsky said:

Lord knows the competition for a wine bottle or tambourine will be less intense. Game on!
    he he he he he he he he he he
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    Zod said:
    At this point I'm not entirely sure if there's a big difference between an indoor arena our an outdoor amphitheater.  I'm sure being outside helps a little, but it's the social distancing aspect that makes it challenging.

To do proper distancing you'd only be able to fill a fraction of the venue.  Then you have to figure out how to make concert economics on a big venue with a small to medium sized capacity.

I'm not sure what the solution is.  I agree with the comments above, that the solution might end up being a wait until after there is a vaccine or a treatment before resuming shows.    Doing them safely with Coronavirus gone wild, might not be plausible.
    Amphitheaters I've been to seem to vary in "outdoorsiness." There are some that, like you're saying, may as well be an arena with an open back wall and lawn.

I think you could pull off a true outdoor gig, but it would take a lot of restraint on the part of attendees. Staying in spaced out seats/blankets, wearing masks when not eating/drinking, no concessions or a good plan for managing lines, etc.

Unfortunately, I don't think fans of many popular bands could manage it. In this case, I've seen too much crazy shit at Pearl Jam shows to believe it would go off without a hitch.

It kills me to say it, but live music like we know it is going to be one of the last things to come back. There will be one-off gigs that get pulled off, but I think there's a much longer road in front of us than behind us. 
  • Options
    Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658

Again I hope I am wrong but I think all the rescheduled tours from 2020 to 2021 are just going to be postponed again ( not just PJ but all bands )

I have a hard time seeing how they are going to pull this all off safely , I think it will be 2022 when we are vaccinated and there is a large safety net.

I feel even as much as I love PJ that its going to hard for me to go back to a show and feel ok about it.

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    Matts3221 said:

Again I hope I am wrong but I think all the rescheduled tours from 2020 to 2021 are just going to be postponed again ( not just PJ but all bands )

I have a hard time seeing how they are going to pull this all off safely , I think it will be 2022 when we are vaccinated and there is a large safety net.

I feel even as much as I love PJ that its going to hard for me to go back to a show and feel ok about it.

I think the only hope for the first half of 2021 is if they happen to find a highly effective treatment that is in large supply. One or more effective vaccines could get here in time to open up the second half of the year, but just about everything would have to break right. As always, I'd love to be proven wrong by some miracle out of left field.
  • Options
    Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658
    pjl44 said:
    Matts3221 said:

I think the only hope for the first half of 2021 is if they happen to find a highly effective treatment that is in large supply. One or more effective vaccines could get here in time to open up the second half of the year, but just about everything would have to break right. As always, I'd love to be proven wrong by some miracle out of left field.

100% agree , I hope something comes out of left field and everyone can call me a fool. :)
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,347
    Let’s just do all the same scheduled venues... but tenclub only!
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,469
    Zod said:

Agreed.  

But I think it would depend on the venue.  Outdoors, if it was nice and breezy, it would continuously ventilate the air.  Provided people werent smashed into each other like in GA, this could be ok.  (Masked, of course).  

But even outdoor venues...most of the "covered" sections are no better than an arena.  
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,186
    pjl44 said:
    Matts3221 said:

Steve Bartman? Sorry Cubs fans, I still feel bad for him.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,838
    MKSNYC said:
    I am hoping we see more PPV live-streams happening.  Just watched the Allman Betts Band from the Belly Up in Aspen and it was a lot of fun.  I would absolutely pay for a PJ live-stream!

Oh me too. If Pearl Jam did something with Nugs.TV and broadcast a Live @ the Warehouse jam, it would blow our minds!
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    10c only inside the venues
    danny d
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,208
    Inside Job.  That’s what I think.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    Ten Clubbers are unlikely to social distance at any Pearl Jam show, indoors or outdoors, and the band knows it.  

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    unforgivenunforgiven Posts: 378
    Jumb0 said:

I'd go to New Zealand
    New Zealand wouldn't let you in though 
  • Options
    matt84matt84 Posts: 597
    I think the European indoor shows will all be a go next Summer. Got serious doubts that there'll be any US shows next year. Maybe just the two already rescheduled festivals.