The National Football League

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    Didn't see this mentioned?

I did not know there was a black national anthem?
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29401000/nfl-plans-play-black-national-anthem-week-1-games
    It's so damn patronizing to black people. Basically the NFL owners are saying "See? Your life MATTERS to us. It really does! It matters so much that we're going to play a special song just for YOU before the real national anthem! Isn't that nice of us? Now go fight through your concussions and win the game." 
    I thought Goodells little speech a few weeks ago was that too.

"We've done some hard thinking and decided that protesting is ok." I paraphrased but this is the jist of it.

Just shut up...
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    Didn't see this mentioned?

I did not know there was a black national anthem?
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29401000/nfl-plans-play-black-national-anthem-week-1-games
    It's so damn patronizing to black people. Basically the NFL owners are saying "See? Your life MATTERS to us. It really does! It matters so much that we're going to play a special song just for YOU before the real national anthem! Isn't that nice of us? Now go fight through your concussions and win the game." 
    I thought Goodells little speech a few weeks ago was that too.

"We've done some hard thinking and decided that protesting is ok." I paraphrased but this is the jist of it.

Just shut up...
    It absolutely was. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    I like Redtails or War Hogs
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    They should represent DC properly:

Washington Bureaucratic Do Nothings.
    Rolls of the tongue.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier said:

Rolls of the tongue.
    What about the DC Hypocrites?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    Poncier said:

Rolls of the tongue.
    You may as well call them the Washington Senators then.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
    Poncier said:

Rolls of the tongue.
    You may as well call them the Washington Senators then.
    ba
    dum
    dum
    CHING
    chinese-happy.jpg
    By the way, @cdthomas1981 , your boy Mahomes is quite the golfer. Kelce, not so much. You watch any of that Tahoe tournament?

chinese-happy.jpg
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    read they want to go with something R. to maintain the HTTR chant or song. Hail To The Rxxxxxxxxxs
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    By the way, @cdthomas1981 , your boy Mahomes is quite the golfer. Kelce, not so much. You watch any of that Tahoe tournament?

No I didn’t, but I’m surprised his contract didn’t forbid him from playing.  It pretty much keeps him from playing just about any other sport that isn’t football.
    edited July 2020

No I didn’t, but I’m surprised his contract didn’t forbid him from playing.  It pretty much keeps him from playing just about any other sport that isn’t football.
    Well I’m not surprised. It’s not like golf is a treacherous sport. Jim McMahon played barefoot. Lol
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    I think Maryland's other football team should become the REDS. If the stable genius is re-elected they stay the REDS.
    If Joe Biden wins they become the BLUES.  Think of all the rebranded nike MERCH.

I also like the idea of them keeping the color scheme and just being Washington, until they move back to DC.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Warriors is worse.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
    Can we bring back the Bullets name?  That has always been my favorite team name.  It would still be a local name.
    I’ve even started thinking about if/when the Chiefs will change their name.  My initial thought is the Monarchs, to pay homage to the negro league team.  They should do away with the chop.
    edited July 2020
    If the Chiefs change their nickname, should be to the Kansas City Kool Aid Men.
    The coach could double as the mascot saving them a salary.
    Ooooh Yeah!
    I’ve even started thinking about if/when the Chiefs will change their name.  My initial thought is the Monarchs, to pay homage to the negro league team.  They should do away with the chop.
    The chop isn't going away in any sport.  It's been ingrained in sports since the Braves made it popular.

I don't have a problem with it.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    The Braves said in the past few days they were looking specifically at the Chop.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    The Braves said in the past few days they were looking specifically at the Chop.

You have zero ability to stop the swarm of people who decide to start doing it on their own.  It's organic at this point of it's longevity.

The only reason Chief Knoc-a homa was gone was because the Braves and Chief disagreed on money.

What else fell wayside?  Orange men, Chief Wahoo, Redmen.  Any others?
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Chiefs and Braves arent bad at all, right?  Same with Black Hawks.  I wouldnt think those would be in any danger.  I would argue the Blackhawks' logo is a dignified portrayal of a Native American.  

Im an Indians fan.  I wasnt a fan of change, but I get it with Chief Wahoo.  Same with that 'shouting' native american characture that the Braves used to use.
    I said it a few years back to other fans... but they should have shed the Indians' name because that will be in the crosshairs the minute the Redskins go away.  Might as well shake Wahoo and rebrand and start the tradition.  That "Block C" logo is hideous and I dont feel like the Indians have any branding capital without any variation of Wahoo.  

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586

You have zero ability to stop the swarm of people who decide to start doing it on their own.  It's organic at this point of it's longevity.

The only reason Chief Knoc-a homa was gone was because the Braves and Chief disagreed on money.

Well, I don't think there is zero control.
    If the team determines it is bs and they don't want it to continue, then anytime they hear/see it starting up they play other "cheer" type music or the organ starts another fan participation piece. 
    Depends how the team ends up feeling about it.
    Not being of Native descent I have no voice in how this should or should not be handled. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    MayDay10 said:
    Chiefs and Braves arent bad at all, right?  Same with Black Hawks.  I wouldnt think those would be in any danger.  I would argue the Blackhawks' logo is a dignified portrayal of a Native American.  

Im an Indians fan.  I wasnt a fan of change, but I get it with Chief Wahoo.  Same with that 'shouting' native american characture that the Braves used to use.
    I said it a few years back to other fans... but they should have shed the Indians' name because that will be in the crosshairs the minute the Redskins go away.  Might as well shake Wahoo and rebrand and start the tradition.  That "Block C" logo is hideous and I dont feel like the Indians have any branding capital without any variation of Wahoo.  

The origin of the Chiefs mascot came from the nickname of the mayor of Kansas City at the time, Harold R. Bartle.  I'm not sure though how it progressed into a Native American.  I've personally felt uncomfortable with the chop for quite a while. 

Atlanta fans are the worst though. The organist always starts that nonsense. If they don't play the music, I bet they'll stop with it too.

The Tomahawk Chop was old by the time the 90's ended anyway. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    MayDay10 said:

The origin of the Chiefs mascot came from the nickname of the mayor of Kansas City at the time, Harold R. Bartle.  I'm not sure though how it progressed into a Native American.  I've personally felt uncomfortable with the chop for quite a while. 

That's interesting. Cause to an outsider not knowing anything about the mayor, you combine the name Chiefs, with the logo of KC on an arrowhead and a stadium named Arrowhead and the only logical connection is that its a native American nickname.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,383

Poncier said:
    MayDay10 said:

That's interesting. Cause to an outsider not knowing anything about the mayor, you combine the name Chiefs, with the logo of KC on an arrowhead and a stadium named Arrowhead and the only logical connection is that its a native American nickname.

They also used to have a mascot named Warpaint. Go figure. 

Poncier said:
    MayDay10 said:

They also used to have a mascot named Warpaint. Go figure. 

Yep, they replaced him with K.C. Wolf in 1989, but then brought back Warpaint in 2009.  I don't understand going backwards 20 years after ridding themselves of one of the many stereotypes they flaunt.

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    Players that test positive for Covid-19 will be placed on IR for three weeks....

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/16/nfl-will-place-players-who-test-positive-for-covid-19-on-ir-for-three-weeks/

This season is going to be a shit-show. I almost wish they'd just cancel it. Almost...
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,383

Players that test positive for Covid-19 will be placed on IR for three weeks....

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/16/nfl-will-place-players-who-test-positive-for-covid-19-on-ir-for-three-weeks/

This season is going to be a shit-show. I almost wish they'd just cancel it. Almost...

I'll be surprised if they even get 2 or 3 games played before the plug is pulled.

I think baseball, hockey & basketball are going to be short lived, and the NFL won't have much choice but to shut it down.

I might be wrong, and I hope I am, but I don't see it happening.

There's not gonna be a season. That shit's not sustainable, especially with them flying all over the country. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Goodness gracious. Have you folks heard the rumors of what's in this Wapo Redskins story tomorrow?

Itsa spicy!
    chinese-happy.jpg