Options

Black Sabbath

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 4,534
edited July 2020 in Other Music
Recently I’ve been on a Sabbath kick. I’m 31 years old, I only knew the Paranoid album when I was playing guitar in high school. I’ve recently gone through all of the Ozzy-era albums...HOLY SHIT
I literally am speechless and I can’t put my thoughts into words. I listened to Master of Reality, Vol. 4, and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath in a row on my way to the beach, and then added Sabotage and Black Sabbath Self-Titled on my way home....the entire time I had my hands on my head, wanting to cry and rage at the same time, yelling OH MY GOD.
The way this band changed songs in the middle of the song is unlike anything I’ve ever heard before. Zeppelin did it, but not like this. And then to tie in all the jazz and blues roots in their songs, and then slab the heaviest sound anyone had ever heard on top of it. Mind. Fucking. Blown.
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2

Comments

• Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    I remember my first beer! Lol kidding. That must have been something hearing self titled for the first time coming back from the beach after all the other albums. Isn’t it crazy that you can go back now and listen to any band’s discography in any order and the natural progression of the band gets distorted. It must have been so different living through it. Which albums did you like the best?

That music will live on hundreds of years from now, kids will stumble upon it, smoke up, open their minds, change their lifestyles, see thru the bullshit. They were the first, still might be the last. No less revolutionary than the Beatles. Sometimes music waits to find you in time when it’ll hit the hardest. I just found this song by Ozzy yesterday, it’s how it goes...
    https://youtu.be/ZVytCWE2gDk
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,783
    Welcome! Had a very long love affair with black sabbath once I realized they are more than iron man. Head back every now and then. I turned my friend on to them-big yes and zep fan-and he couldn't believe how great they really are. 
    I remember the feeling you are having now. 
    Driving around as a kid listening to 'am I going insane' and when all that laughter kicked off at the end, I thought my friends were all laughing along...they weren't...that transition into whatever the  next  song is kills me.
    Sabotage was/is a favorite of mine. Snagged it on vinyl not too long ago...woah!
    Enjoy the satanic ride!

• Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,430
    Call me crazy, but I prefer the DIO years!
  • Options
    Honestly Self Titled and Paranoid are great but I prefer the other albums more so. Their progression is indescribable.
    Top 3 Albums:
    Masters of Reality
    Vol 4
    Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

Sabotage is fantastic though too.

Favorite Songs in no order:
    Lord of This World (except this is the undisputed champion of the world lol)
    Megalomania
    Wheels of Confusion into The Straightener (😱)
    Snowblind
    Sabbra Cadabra
    Hand of Doom
    The Wizard
    Tomorrows Dream
    Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    The Thrill Of It All
    Symptom of the Universe
    After Forever
    Into The Void

I honestly can’t believe I never dove into them before. When I was in high school and college I got into almost every other 60s/70s band but Sabbath. I regret it so much. I would have loved to see them on The End tour. 
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    toolietoolie Posts: 388
    I was lucky enough to see the original lineup play Ozzfest in Vancouver in 1999. It was cool to see the grandfathers of metal play top bill over some HUGE bands at the time - Slayer, Deftones, SOAD, Slipknot, Rob Zombie, Fear Factory, Godsmack etc. I took my little brother and it BLEW HIS MIND as well - they were so damn heavy.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Nothing wrong with that. I got pulled into them backwards too. Dio to Ozzy.  Only saw sabbath with dio on a reunion tour. Don't remember much of it, but Dio being thrilled with the crowd.

'I think they remember us!' 
    RIP
    RJD
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,960
    Honestly Self Titled and Paranoid are great but I prefer the other albums more so. Their progression is indescribable.
    Top 3 Albums:
    Masters of Reality
    Vol 4
    Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

Sabotage is fantastic though too.

Favorite Songs in no order:
    Lord of This World (except this is the undisputed champion of the world lol)
    Megalomania
    Wheels of Confusion into The Straightener (😱)
    Snowblind
    Sabbra Cadabra
    Hand of Doom
    The Wizard
    Tomorrows Dream
    Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    The Thrill Of It All
    Symptom of the Universe
    After Forever
    Into The Void

I honestly can’t believe I never dove into them before. When I was in high school and college I got into almost every other 60s/70s band but Sabbath. I regret it so much. I would have loved to see them on The End tour. 
    I'm the same way.  When I was growing up Sabbath was considered the most "satanic" band around so it just didn't enter my world.  Radio stations didn't play much other than Iron Man and Paranoid.  

I pretty much listened to Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Kiss, etc. up to the point where Soundgarden, STP and PJ came around.  

I discovered a lot of Ozzy and Black Sabbath on my 20 year old daughter's playlists.  Crazy

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,619
    BS fucking rules.  Ozzy years, please and thank you.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Ozzy sounds so good on Sabotage and in 1975. Listened to a few bootlegs from 1974 and 1975 as well...besides cocaine, what else was he on to get to the vocal range he had? Even the end of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, he never did live cause he probably just couldn’t, but how did he sing that high in the studio?!
  • Options
    Maybe a trick or two mixing it. He is fantastic/unique.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,756
    Ozzy sounds so good on Sabotage and in 1975. Listened to a few bootlegs from 1974 and 1975 as well...besides cocaine, what else was he on to get to the vocal range he had? Even the end of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, he never did live cause he probably just couldn’t, but how did he sing that high in the studio?!
    check out reunion live. 98 .SBS is on there .....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    I grew up listening to Sabbath. Was exposed at a young age, primarily because my uncle was/is lead singer in a BS cover band that plays around Chicago. My old man listened to them all the time too, so by the time I was a rebellious teen I was primed and ready to dive deep into the BS catalog. Still listen to them on occasion and try to play some of their stuff on guitar. Tony Iommi is a magician. 
  • Options
    ^^Didn't he saw off his fingers in an accident. I think that adds to his unique style.
  • Options
    ^ Sure did. The tips of his middle and ring fingers. It must contribute to his playing style in some way. He rocks. 
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    The only way he could play guitar after that accident at the factory was to melt and mold bottle caps onto the end of his finger tips. He had to tune the strings a whole step down or whatever it was for him to be able to bend the strings at all. That was the inception of heavy metal.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    Nice info^^^gonna spin lots of Sabbath again.
    thanks op
  • Options
    The only way he could play guitar after that accident at the factory was to melt and mold bottle caps onto the end of his finger tips. He had to tune the strings a whole step down or whatever it was for him to be able to bend the strings at all. That was the inception of heavy metal.
    That is awesome and makes a ton of sense. The heavy metal sound was born out of a sheet metal accident. Incredible 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,006
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    I will call you crazy but Ronald did do them some justice.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,006
    Years ago we backwards massed a cassette and it was a live Sabbath album and there was a part of one song I was always drawn to and it was cool to hear backwards.  Then we finally fixed it because there were no messages on it and I got to hear the song forward for the first time and it was even better.  

That song was Snowblind and the guitar part was the solo in it.

I was 9 and that song still resonates with me more than any other.
  • Options
    What does everyone think of Sabbath with Ian Gillan?

The one album they made was pretty solid!
  • Options
    Yeahhh. Have to revisit that^^^i just remember that song trashed and it had a cringy video.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Dio with rainbow is pretty great too.

Did anyone take a close look at the 'mob rules' cover. There is a hidden message there.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    check out reunion live. 98 .SBS is on there .....
    Ozzy doesn’t sing the end of that song, nor should he even try lol. I have no idea how he got his vocals that high
  • Options
    EdLawEdLaw Posts: 194
    edited July 2020
    JOEJOEJOE said:

I really dig it. The mix is a muddy mess, and the cover is a hilariously garish nightmare, but the songs shine through. Disturbing The Priest is hell of a tune, Gillan screams his ass off.

The first six albums with the original line up are obviously the pinnacle, but I really like a lot of the later stuff too. Yeah, you can debate whether it's truly Sabbath or not, but Iommi is always there, an almost endless well of great riffs and songwriting. 
    Post edited by EdLaw on
    And I planted my bolo knife in the neck of mad John Finn. I took his wretched life.
    Now I'm over near the bandstand, every hand moving on John Finn's wife...
  • Options
    EdLaw said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:

I really dig it. The mix is a muddy mess, and the cover is a hilariously garish nightmare, but the songs shine through. Disturbing The Priest is hell of a tune, Gillan screams his ass off.

The first six albums with the original line up are obviously the pinnacle, but I really like a lot of the later stuff too. Yeah, you can debate whether it's truly Sabbath or not, but Iommi is always there, an almost endless well of great riffs and songwriting. 
    I agree.....the mix is muddy, but it unquestionably sounds like Sabbath.

Trashed is a great opener!