The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,618
    Tree House was worth it (stopped on the way up to NH and the way back, way back had to wait an ungodly hour-plus in line but again worth it...

Juice Machine is one of the best, cheers!
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • RK50065RK50065 St. Louis, MO Posts: 885
    Vacation this week. New Anthem Beer Project in NC.
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    House Martell- 4.5
    Johnny Utah - 6.5

House Martell New England Style IPA - StormBreaker Brewing - Untappd

Johnny Utah - Georgetown Brewing Company - Untappd
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Tonight's opening selection..

Shop  Drink Logsdon Beer
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Riverlands Brewing continues to impress. 

• darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    These brews look great!
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    bbiggs said:

I love this can so much.

I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
    bbiggs said:

I love this can so much.

Agreed.  Definitely a cool one for a rock fan.  The beer was even better.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    One of my go-to’s.  Raised Grain is still my favorite Wisconsin brewery.

I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
    First selection...

Second selection....

A staple from Maplewood Brewery. Always a great one to come back to. 

Really Good
    Our Brews

What is the age range where IPA start to taste worse? Is it the same for all types of IPA's?
    Malroth said:
    What is the age range where IPA start to taste worse? Is it the same for all types of IPA's?
    Tough to say. Some people think an IPA is no longer fresh after a couple weeks or less. Not me. I don’t notice a drop off in taste even a couple months out. They usually don’t stay in my fridge longer than that though. 
    bbiggs said:
    Malroth said:
    Tough to say. Some people think an IPA is no longer fresh after a couple weeks or less. Not me. I don’t notice a drop off in taste even a couple months out. They usually don’t stay in my fridge longer than that though. 

Thanks. I tend to agree, I've only had a couple IPA where there was definitely something off with the taste.
    I don't think my palate is sophisticated to catch the difference of a month or two.
    bbiggs said:
    Malroth said:
    I tend to think that within the first 4 weeks is fresh and the taste is basically the same.  Some beers can even taste better if you wait 1-2 weeks after the can date to “cool off”

I won’t trade for any beers that are over 8 weeks old.   They’re not ruined at this point, but it wouldn’t be fair for me to judge a beer after 8 weeks.  I’ve had Hazys that are 6-8 months old and still taste fine.  But anything after that I will pour down the drain.
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    bbiggs said:
    Malroth said:
    I tend to think that within the first 4 weeks is fresh and the taste is basically the same.  Some beers can even taste better if you wait 1-2 weeks after the can date to “cool off”

I won’t trade for any beers that are over 8 weeks old.   They’re not ruined at this point, but it wouldn’t be fair for me to judge a beer after 8 weeks.  I’ve had Hazys that are 6-8 months old and still taste fine.  But anything after that I will pour down the drain.
    Good take. I don’t do any trading, except locally with friends sometimes, so I’m never at risk of sending or receiving beer that isn’t fresh.  I keep my inventory pretty in line so that nothing gets too old. Just finished one from 5/19, which was the oldest I had, and it tasted perfect.  After a month and a half I make an effort to drink it if it’s still in my fridge, but to your point, I’ve pushed it out to 2+ months on occasion and there was no issue. 

I’ve also had some that do need time to develop due to canning a bit early. After a week or so the taste has improved. 
    Do any of you have certain hop profiles you gravitate towards?  Over time I find myself enjoying Citra, Mosaic, Vic Secret and Sabro the most.  So many combinations obviously, but those are the backbone hops I enjoy the most in a hazy IPA.  Only real dislike is Nelson Sauvin. 

I also enjoy a nice bitter, hoppy, west coast IPA as that’s what started me with IPAs, but those have a whole different lineup of hops. 
  • RK50065RK50065 St. Louis, MO Posts: 885
    ^Citra, Galaxy, and Centennial
    Citra, Simcoe and Sabro for me
    Any dislikes? I mentioned Nelson Sauvin which automatically stops me from buying a beer, even if I like the other hops. I’m also not a fan of adding lactose, but will have an occasional milkshake IPA. It’s just too sweet for me. 
    edited June 2020
    bbiggs said:
    Any dislikes? I mentioned Nelson Sauvin which automatically stops me from buying a beer, even if I like the other hops. I’m also not a fan of adding lactose, but will have an occasional milkshake IPA. It’s just too sweet for me. 
    I'm the opposite.  It it has Nelson I'm in.
    Anything with lactose, milk sugar, fruity adjuncts I'm usually out. Though a well balanced grapefruit or mango IPA will get my attention. 
    I do love a classic West Coast Style hop bomb.

Also, the fresher the better. I try and stop at 3 months 4 at the most depending on the beer and the brewery.
    Thursday I had a local Hazy IPA that was kegged on Monday. It was better than any other time I had had it.
    Post edited by Bentleyspop on
    I picked up some Very Gggreenn this week, going to let it cool down for a couple more days and enjoy.  Had it last summer, and it remains my single favorite beer of all time.  
    Double Grazing Clouds - Mountains Walking - Untappd
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    I decided a while ago that I wasn't going to give a shit what kind of hops are in it.  I don't think anyone can actually tell the difference anyways?

I also decided that my snobbery would stop once I heard someone mentioning hops...

That being said I like Mosaic and Citra, lol.
    I decided a while ago that I wasn't going to give a shit what kind of hops are in it.  I don't think anyone can actually tell the difference anyways?

I also decided that my snobbery would stop once I heard someone mentioning hops...

That being said I like Mosaic and Citra, lol.
    Haha.  This is awesome and hard to argue.  I never thought I'd be dissecting the hops in a beer, but I enjoy the technical side of knowing what is used in a beer, how it's made, etc.  On top of that, these beers are pricey enough that it helps to know what you enjoy and what you don't.  On that note, one of the best things I've come across this Summer is a local shop that has a great selection, but also allows mixed 4 packs.  That way I don't have to go all-in on something I'm unsure of.  The ones I know that I like, I'll grab a 4 pack.  Others, I'll split up 2 and 2.  It's great.

And yes...citra and mosaic all day.  LOL

El Tren - KCBC - Kings County Brewers Collective  Photos - Untappd
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Cool article if you have The Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/1900326/2020/07/02/scouting-for-the-best-brewery-prospects-across-mlb-cities/

Surprised to see ARS in South Philly (very very good beer!) make his Philly mention, along with Tired Hands.