The Golf Thread

Comments

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    That’s glorious. Except for the snakes. Fuck those things 
    9 iron in hand at all times off the fairway.  Problem solved.  And yes...that is one hell of a muni! 

• ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 624
    With no tournaments to play this season so far, I've been driving around adding new courses to my list of unique courses played.  At 465,  adding 466 tomorrow.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    That’s glorious. Except for the snakes. Fuck those things 

saw a lil’ coyote yesterday. have not seen snakes, except for one dead one.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    ddeschler said:
    With no tournaments to play this season so far, I've been driving around adding new courses to my list of unique courses played.  At 465,  adding 466 tomorrow.
    Damn.   That’s awesome.   
    ddeschler said:

:tired_face:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Oh man. Had myself a day today. Outside shot to tie my best round ever (83). Entered 18 with an 80. Finished with....a fucking 88. Mother fucker. I'll take it though. Glorious day today. Low 80's, low humidity, slight breeze. That's golf weather, gentlemen.

Also won our front 9 bet with a chip in for bird on 9. It was the stuff legends are made of. I think Golf Channel will mention it this evening. Tune in. 

God speed. 
    Brutal!  Had something similar a couple weeks ago....was on my way to breaking 90 for the first time in a couple years and ended the round with back to back 8s for a 93.  Back to back snowmen....unreal.  Turns out drinking 7% IPAs on the course loosens you up a little too much on the back 9.
    Yup I had about 6 of those in addition to the tastiest double transfusion I’ve had in a while at the turn. Was definitely a little buzzed towards the end. 

chinese-happy.jpg
    the queers at my course seem partial to white claws. $21 for a sixer if you buy them at the course.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    the queers at my course seem partial to white claws. $21 for a sixer if you buy them at the course.
    Yuck. I can't believe how popular those fucking things have become. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    bbiggs said:
    I want to play golf, drink beers, smoke and shoot a bad score 
    I'll for sure being doing the first 2 tomorrow and possibly the 3rd.  But hopefully not the 4th.  This is the most golf I've played in years and it is fucking awesome.  I have a great public course less than a mile from my house....greens fess are reasonable and it is in excellent shape.  Can't beat it.
    I think I've asked before, but where do you play?

Mt. Prospect Golf Club.  They re-did the entire course a few years ago and it is top-notch.  The suburbs are great for golf....there has to be at least 20 courses within 20 minutes of me.  Didn't play a ton when we lived in the city since it was a pain in the ass to drive to the burbs whenever I wanted to play.

https://www.golfmtprospect.com/
    bbiggs said:
    I want to play golf, drink beers, smoke and shoot a bad score 
    I'll for sure being doing the first 2 tomorrow and possibly the 3rd.  But hopefully not the 4th.  This is the most golf I've played in years and it is fucking awesome.  I have a great public course less than a mile from my house....greens fess are reasonable and it is in excellent shape.  Can't beat it.
    I think I've asked before, but where do you play?

Mt. Prospect Golf Club.  They re-did the entire course a few years ago and it is top-notch.  The suburbs are great for golf....there has to be at least 20 courses within 20 minutes of me.  Didn't play a ton when we lived in the city since it was a pain in the ass to drive to the burbs whenever I wanted to play.

https://www.golfmtprospect.com/
    That's right.  Looks like a great course.  Never played it, but if you're looking for options close to you check out Oak Meadows in Addison or Schaumburg Golf Club.  Used to play them both a ton when I lived in that area.  Oak Meadows was re-done a few years ago.  If you venture out west try Cantigny in Wheaton sometime.  That's a gem of a course, but pricey.  And you're right...the burbs have a ton of top notch courses.  We're spoiled here.

That was so relatable watching Brendon Todd completely melt down on the 12th hole yesterday.  Side of the green in 2 and end up with a 7...brutal.
    All too relatable.  I like seeing the courses without fans.  I do though think the lack of fans impacts the atmosphere and drama.  I hope they can be back soon to stay.
    All too relatable.  I like seeing the courses without fans.  I do though think the lack of fans impacts the atmosphere and drama.  I hope they can be back soon to stay.
    I'm having a hard time enjoying the televised rounds without fans.  Seeing the entire course is nice.  It's nice for the players from some of the comments I've read.  For me as a viewer from home though, nothing beats the roar of the crowd and the pressure it can put on these guys on Sunday.  It's just not the same.

• ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 624
    Mt. Prospect is a lot of fun.  Some of those greens are crazy.  I need to play the Preserve at Oak Meadows, after the renovation.  I'm playing 3 courses in N. Michigan this coming weekend that I haven't played before.  Bay Harbor, Belvedere, and Dunmaglas.  Should be a great time.  I love Michigan in the summer.

I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
    So NBC is getting the US Open back? Fox got better at it over the years, but it was never as good. 

chinese-happy.jpg
    bbiggs said:
    I'm having a hard time enjoying the televised rounds without fans.  Seeing the entire course is nice.  It's nice for the players from some of the comments I've read.  For me as a viewer from home though, nothing beats the roar of the crowd and the pressure it can put on these guys on Sunday.  It's just not the same.

It doesn't bother me too much actually. If there is one sport that can pull off the no fans thing, I feel it is golf. Majors will probably feel different to me though.

Once we get the team sports back with no fans, that's gonna be really weird. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    So NBC is getting the US Open back? Fox got better at it over the years, but it was never as good. 

I think this is a bad thing for golf TV viewers.  Fox did get better over the years, but more importantly, they pushed the envelope. Showed TONS of golf shots compared to the other broadcasts.  Cool camera/drone stuff. Shot tracer and the hole layout, which others have started to do.  Feel like what they did pushed the others to be better.

I think this is a bad thing for golf TV viewers.  Fox did get better over the years, but more importantly, they pushed the envelope. Showed TONS of golf shots compared to the other broadcasts.  Cool camera/drone stuff. Shot tracer and the hole layout, which others have started to do.  Feel like what they did pushed the others to be better.
    Well hopefully NBC will utilize more of that stuff. I like the NBC announcing team much better too, especially with Miller gone. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    ddeschler said:
    Mt. Prospect is a lot of fun.  Some of those greens are crazy.  I need to play the Preserve at Oak Meadows, after the renovation.  I'm playing 3 courses in N. Michigan this coming weekend that I haven't played before.  Bay Harbor, Belvedere, and Dunmaglas.  Should be a great time.  I love Michigan in the summer.

Yeah the greens are wild at MP.  The multi-level 7th green on the short par 3 is crazy.  16th green on the long par 3 is also wild especially when they put it in the middle where its downhill coming from either side.  Finally had a par on that hole last month.  Will have to check out Preserve at Oak Meadows....looks very nice.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    Oh my lord. Here's a laughable article by a guy named Rob Parker (he's been on ESPN) about how they should change the name of The Masters. Why? Well you already know why....

"And be honest. When you hear anyone say the Masters, you think of slave masters in the South. There’s nothing else, nothing special. You don’t think of someone mastering the game of golf. When has anyone mastered golf? "

https://deadspin.com/we-ve-lived-with-the-masters-name-long-enough-1844121041
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    I've never once in my life thought of slave masters in the south when I hear the Masters tournament.  I think of green grass, yellow flags and the best weekend in golf. 
    bbiggs said:
    I've never once in my life thought of slave masters in the south when I hear the Masters tournament.  I think of green grass, yellow flags and the best weekend in golf. 
    OF COURSE you haven't. No normal person would. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    bbiggs said:
    OF COURSE you haven't. No normal person would. 
    I never thought of it until I saw this article. Fucking Deadspin....
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    That is not deadspin. 
    bbiggs said:

Arguments like this actual hurt the cause the author is supporting because of how frivolous this is.  I guess people who have a master degree are racists?  All the Masterclass courses online have a racist connotation?   Dumb
    Golfing Friday morning at 7:00am.  Need to be on the road at 6:00am.  I can barely fall asleep when I have an early tee time.  So excited to play.  Like falling asleep as a kid on Christmas Eve.  Nothing better than arriving to the golf course in the morning when still dark.  Playing 18.  Eating a breakfast burrito at 9:30am after 18 holes are done and then taking a nap. 
    bbiggs said:

Arguments like this actual hurt the cause the author is supporting because of how frivolous this is.  I guess people who have a master degree are racists?  All the Masterclass courses online have a racist connotation?   Dumb
    Don't forget Metallica playing that racist Puppet song for the past 30 years. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    They'll be coming after Mastercard next
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08