MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    If there is no season this year y'all need to take a break.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    I will never in my life understand the line of thinking that roots for the owners over the players everyone loves watch play. It’s fucking mind boggling.

Yeah the MLB union should be more like the bitch ass NFL union where former players are going brain dead and teams can drop players whenever they want 
    Who gives a shit about rooting interests between billionaire owners and millionaire players? They're all a bunch of fucking idiots for dropping the ball like this. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Poncier said:
    pjhawks said:

saw a story on Twitter that Mookie Betts becomes a free agent after this year even if there is no season. so he may never play a game for the Dodgers.  If that is true kind of funny.
    Yep. Makes a lopsided trade in the Dodgers' favor become a lopsided trade in the Red Sox' favor when he signs with the Braves.
    I see I'm not the only one who said the Braves. 

Braves make a offer in the neighborhood of other teams I won't be surprised if Mookie went to the Braves. But do they  have the money?
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    I will never in my life understand the line of thinking that roots for the owners over the players everyone loves watch play. It’s fucking mind boggling.

Yeah the MLB union should be more like the bitch ass NFL union where former players are going brain dead and teams can drop players whenever they want 
    I don’t root for the owners I just understand the players never win vs the owners. Also most things Scott Boras is for I am against on the basic principal that he is a piece of shit.

And yea it’s the players union fault ex-nfl players have head injuries. Come on cliffy your smarter than that.  
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582

Who gives a shit about rooting interests between billionaire owners and millionaire players? They're all a bunch of fucking idiots for dropping the ball like this. 
    Fair, but the debate here has been owners vs. players.
    pjhawks said:

I don’t root for the owners I just understand the players never win vs the owners. Also most things Scott Boras is for I am against on the basic principal that he is a piece of shit.

And yea it’s the players union fault ex-nfl players have head injuries. Come on cliffy your smarter than that.  
    Such a scumbag

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlbpa-asks-agent-scott-boras-not-to-pay-salaries-of-released-minor-league-clients-per-report/

Not their fault their players play a violent sport, but surely their fault they don't have healthcare or pensions.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    the problem with MLB and this is, their salaries are not tied to revenues and therefore, they don't get a full look at league revenue.  Lots of mistrust and there isnt that locked-in point and mutual benefit to recuperating as much as possible for both sides.
    pjhawks said:

Such a scumbag

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlbpa-asks-agent-scott-boras-not-to-pay-salaries-of-released-minor-league-clients-per-report/

Not their fault their players play a violent sport, but surely their fault they don't have healthcare or pensions.
    you really want to use a story that said Boras may have been breaking union rules to make your point? 

Boras is one of these guys who will eventually take a fall...and it will be big and glorious.
    That Boras wanted to pay his people when baseball won't?  Yeah, sure, I think that is admirable.  You seem to be really opposed to people getting paid. 

For what? lol.  We're not talking about some slimy middle of the road agent.  Dude is the owner of one of the top few most powerful sports agencies in the world and probably one of the 5 most powerful people in baseball.  Dude ain't taking some random fall.  

There are really two people I don't get the hate for in sports, Scott Boras and Joe Buck (since he has grown into himself)
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Joe Buck is hilarious 

Looks like owners are starting to come around....
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Joe Buck is hilarious 

Buck was a condescending douche for years.

He's so much better now than before, in part, because he's not as uptight as he used to be. That whole hair plug thing really kind of changed him for the better. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Joe Buck is hilarious 

He's so much better now than before, in part, because he's not as uptight as he used to be. That whole hair plug thing really kind of changed him for the better. 
    Seeing him outside of his announcing job and how funny he can be changed my opinion of him.
    He may still be a douche, but he a really funny one.
    How much fun do you think he and Aikman get into?
    Aikman on Sunday mornings look like he was out partying like he was 24.

Joe Buck is hilarious 

Was super uptight.  Realized he didn't need to be his dad and got better.  Plus, yeah, plugs gave him more confidence it seems lol
    Here's my thing with all of this. I think they are going to play baseball. There is too much money to lose for everyone.  I think that no one will remember this when all is said and done, which is why I haven't gotten all worked up over it.  It's just a product of the 24 hour news cycle.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    pjhawks said:

saw a story on Twitter that Mookie Betts becomes a free agent after this year even if there is no season. so he may never play a game for the Dodgers.  If that is true kind of funny.
    love it!

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    well, fuck.

in essence, a 4 second video with "thanks for watching" at the end.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    That Boras wanted to pay his people when baseball won't?  Yeah, sure, I think that is admirable.  You seem to be really opposed to people getting paid. 

For what? lol.  We're not talking about some slimy middle of the road agent.  Dude is the owner of one of the top few most powerful sports agencies in the world and probably one of the 5 most powerful people in baseball.  Dude ain't taking some random fall.  

There are really two people I don't get the hate for in sports, Scott Boras and Joe Buck (since he has grown into himself)
    he's slimy as fuck. just hasn't had anyone get their screws in him yet.  it will happen eventually and he will go down hard. patience my friend.

and minor league players have been getting screwed for years but now Boras cares about them?  

pjhawks said:

he's slimy as fuck. just hasn't had anyone get their screws in him yet.  it will happen eventually and he will go down hard. patience my friend.

and minor league players have been getting screwed for years but now Boras cares about them?  

The dude has one job and he has built one of the biggest agencies on the face of the planet. He’s had people coming for him for 20 years. Pretty sure he’s in the clear.

You sound like a hater. Don’t like sports agents, don’t like players making money...
    pjhawks said:

The dude has one job and he has built one of the biggest agencies on the face of the planet. He’s had people coming for him for 20 years. Pretty sure he’s in the clear.

You sound like a hater. Don’t like sports agents, don’t like players making money...
    actually in normal times I don't care how much money pro players make. In fact I usually will defend how much pro players make because I understand it comes from the demand that us fans provide (dumbest argument in the world is look at how much athletes make compared to teachers).  that being said I think in the case of a global pandemic, where no fans can attend games, alas shrinking demand, the fact that players will not even consider working with the owners on costs I have a problem with. and a big part of that stance comes from Boras. 

I acknowledge Boras is great for his clients, but he is bad for the game.  As a Yankees fan I get it, you don't give a shit that 28 teams can't afford to have the top stars (or more than 1) on their payroll, but don't tell me that is good for the game.  it's just not in my opinion.

Boo hoo poor owners.  Been taking in the millions every year for how long?

Boo hoo poor owners.  Been taking in the millions every year for how long?

revenues will be reportedly down about 40% with no fans, yet the players want their same per game salary. in what business would this be acceptable?

You can turn that around about a number of things relative to players asking questions.
    We've had the discussion....I don't believe what the owners are saying.  

Also....my business is down more than 40% as are a lot.  If people are playing we are paying.

When we make more in a normal year we don't pay them more in accordance.  That is why we are owners and take that risk.
    You can turn that around about a number of things relative to players asking questions.

Also....my business is down more than 40% as are a lot.  If people are playing we are paying.

When we make more in a normal year we don't pay them more in accordance.  That is why we are owners and take that risk.
    I think most reasonable people can understand revenues drive pay...well maybe not baseball players.  So for your employees no extra bonuses in big years?  So i get paid the same if company does good or great? So no incentive to be great I guess is what you are saying. 
    So.....there's gonna be a season now?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    pjhawks said:

I think most reasonable people can understand revenues drive pay...well maybe not baseball players.  So for your employees no extra bonuses in big years?  So i get paid the same if company does good or great? So no incentive to be great I guess is what you are saying. 
    We don’t really have to go over the difference between a bonus and a salary do we? Baseball players get bonuses when their company does well too 
    So.....there's gonna be a season now?
    Universal DH. Fuck that too
    edited June 2020
    pjhawks said:

We don’t really have to go over the difference between a bonus and a salary do we? Baseball players get bonuses when their company does well too 
    Nope but you might want to reread the post that I was replying too. I took it to mean his business doesn’t give extra in good years but maybe I’m misinterpreting.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
    If you are commission or bonus eligible you get it.  Part of the deal and with bonus specifically, it is a drop in the bucket.
    Do well and keep getting your good salary

Don't and get fired.

The majority of people working don't get more if their companies do well.  Don't fool yourself.

People don't own businesses, in general, as charity.  

Cliffy is right - this is about salary and not bonus structure.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Are we doing the degenerate league this year?  Is there a point?