What headphones do you recommend?

I'm looking for some headphones in about the $150 range (or less). I hate the way earbuds feel, but never ventured out and bought a pair of decent quality headphones before.
Is there one that you swear by? Four I have been looking at so far are ATH m50x, Sennheiser Momentum 2.0, Bose Truesound and Sennheiser 558.
Doing lots of reading while traveling for the holidays it seems like the most recommended ones are ATH m50x, so those are at the top of my list. I was also looking at Sennheister Momentum 2.0-they retail for $350 but were on sale for just about $200 so if they are as good as the reviews say I'd be willing to put up the extra cash for that sale. Also looking at Bose Truesound because I saw a pair on sale for about $80, and same with Sennheiser 558.
The problem is I cant find any in local stores, my best bet was Best Buy said I could order them online and I have 2 weeks to return them if I don't like them, so I did. Now just hoping to decide and return 3 of them before my credit card statement comes in.
I play a lot of vinyl (only missing Binaural when it comes to original pressings, and that's only because I didn't have my turntable in my dorm room at the time and didn't want to spend the $20 as a broke college student, but didn't know in a couple years they'd be selling for $300+ on ebay!). But my setup isn't really suitable for plugging in phones and listening. This would mostly be for things like traveling, relaxing in bed when my wife is reading or sleeping, or listening to music when it is going to disturb the rest of the house from my iPhone. Based on that I've all but ruled out the S 558, but still am a little curious based on what I've read about them and the price of $80, and maybe one day I'll update my record player and plug in. I've recently ripped several of my CD's into the highest definition available to see if it makes a difference.
They should be arriving in a day or 2, but looking for any input to consider in the meantime. Would $200 for Momentums be wasting money if I'm just using an iPhone? Any others I should be checking out?

Comments

• Bose have always been top notch. I've dabbled with Sennheiser and other brands, but always come back to Bose- even the 'cheaper' ones.

Just me.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    edited January 2017
    My #1 recommendation every single time (go back and read the hundred other headphone threads) is the Sony MDR-7506. Best bang for the buck, widely accepted as an industry standard. I really like the whole Sony MDR line, even the $20 cans.

Since you are looking for something portable, though, you want to make sure that whatever device you are using to plug your headphones into will be capable of driving the cans with adequate power. You won't be able to take full-scale studio headphones and plug them into your iPod; it will be massively underpowered and sound like crap. Some headphones have built-in amplifiers, and some are wireless, so are adequately self-powered.

If you plan on being out in the world, you may not want something super-isolating, since you will want to hear things happening around you. I always chuckle a little at ads where someone is wearing these huge Beats headphones while walking through a busy crowd in downtown Manhattan, presumably listening to some really loud hip-hop with super bass. That person can't hear shit happening around them. Conversely, you don't want something big and bulky for laying in bed at night next to your sleeping partner.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Your iPhone will drive the Momentums just fine, but that last $100 or so on their RRP really comes down to the premium pricing intended to match their beautiful appearance. Which is to say, they're a luxury item and priced to reflect that, but aren't necessarily technically superior to either the ATH-M50x or MDR-7506. That said, the Momentums really are beautiful, and if I didn't need my headphones to do double duty as a critical listening device, I'd definitely grab a pair for $200.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Thanks for the input. Maybe I just suck st thread searches, I figured people have asked before but when I searched for headphones there were hundreds of hits and the first few dozen I scrolled through I couldn't find an answer.
    I've tried all on my list but the m50x. So far the Momentums are a clear winner. I was impressed with the Sony MDR 7506, like them a lot more than I though I would, even more than the Bose soundtrue II. But the momentums kick butt. They definitely have that luxury item look and feel, but they sound a lot better to me too, and a lot more portable than any others I've considered. I've never really liked head phones because I never had more than a $10 pair, now I'm realizing what I've been missing!
  • asnipesasnipes Posts: 82
    In that price range try to find a deal on the HD598, lots better than the 558. Check out mass drop for the drops they do, can find the AKG 7xxx on there for a great deal from time to time, also the Hifiman HE350, I have the Hifiman HE300 and absolutely love them. The Philips SHP9500 is also a fan favorite that can be bad for very cheap. Some good headphones recommended but if you stray from the tried and true you can get some great value and performance.
  • rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    Nun.

No really, the Nun brand are great
    edited January 2017
    Post edited by rollings on
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I stumbled across this playlist on Spotify: Songs to test headphones with. :)

https://open.spotify.com/user/spotify/playlist/1a1OB7jjf6bcuvJnmO5WaD
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    I've been really impressed with the Shure cans I've owned. SRH-440 is a great contender for right around $100.00. I have a set of 240's too. They're not as nice but sound pretty similar to the more expensive models.

The best "feature" of the Shure cans is that they sound flat across the frequency range. A lot of headphones, especially cheaper models and Beats sound overhyped in the lower registers for my taste.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    Gotta bump this one. 

Was at Guitar Center killing time and thought: What the hell, why not check out headphones?

I took my time, listened to every pair on display. Pioneer, Yamaha, Sony, Sennheiser, Shure, AKG, Beyer Dynamic and Audio-Technica were the big ones but there were a couple others, too.

I had been contemplating the Senn HD-380s for a while but side by side, they were no match for the AT M50x. 

It had been a few years since I checked out cans but those M50xs sounded better than I remember. Better than everything else in the store, to my ear.

I brought them home. The Shures I've been using will be relegated to use at my office or if I need an extra pair for recording.

If you haven't already checked these out, they are absolutely worth the cost. Total standout in a pretty crowded field.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Happy with my Audio Technica's
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    dudeman said:
    Gotta bump this one. 

Was at Guitar Center killing time and thought: What the hell, why not check out headphones?

I took my time, listened to every pair on display. Pioneer, Yamaha, Sony, Sennheiser, Shure, AKG, Beyer Dynamic and Audio-Technica were the big ones but there were a couple others, too.

I had been contemplating the Senn HD-380s for a while but side by side, they were no match for the AT M50x. 

It had been a few years since I checked out cans but those M50xs sounded better than I remember. Better than everything else in the store, to my ear.

I brought them home. The Shures I've been using will be relegated to use at my office or if I need an extra pair for recording.

If you haven't already checked these out, they are absolutely worth the cost. Total standout in a pretty crowded field.
    2nd-ed on the AT M50x's. My first 'pro' set of headphones running strong since 2009. Will buy a second pair when the time comes cos' they are just that amazing to me.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    dudeman said:
    Gotta bump this one. 

2nd-ed on the AT M50x's. My first 'pro' set of headphones running strong since 2009. Will buy a second pair when the time comes cos' they are just that amazing to me.

I am a Sennheiser guy but I will def check out the AT M50x.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

I stumbled upon a company called Wicked Cushions. They make ear pads for headphones, including the AT M50x. They're muck thicker and nicer than the stock pads and give these headphones a better seal, more comfortable fit and more substantial feel.

Subjective, I know, but they're working well for me. 

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Looking at getting a nice pair of headphones for under $200. I've been reading a lot of goods things about the Senn HD 598s and AT M50, with some mention on the Grado SR80s. Any thoughts on which ones will have the better soundstage? 
    It's a hopeless situation...
    They are all a little different but all good. It will just be a matter of personal preference as to which is best.

I like the AT M-50x best out of those choices. The Senns are very comfortable and a good performer. I haven't used the Grados but I've read about them. Seems like people either love or hate them. Lots of complaints about long term comfort.
    edited January 2019
    Has anyone tried the Bose Quietcomfort 35 Series II noise cancelling wireless headphones? I know audiophiles prefer wired ones up until now, but I've read that wireless is getting better and better, and not having a wire when I'm out and about is very appealing. Noise cancelling also sounds awesome to me. These ones seem to get good consumer reviews, but I'm still not sure when to pull the cords for such an item, considering the cost. I'm worried that as soon as I do, wireless technology will take another giant leap forward and I'll be left in the dust, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    Has anyone tried the Bose Quietcomfort 35 Series II noise cancelling wireless headphones? I know audiophiles prefer wired ones up until now, but I've read that wireless is getting better and better, and not having a wire when I'm out and about is very appealing. Noise cancelling also sounds awesome to me. These ones seem to get good consumer reviews, but I'm still not sure when to pull the cords for such an item, considering the cost. I'm worried that as soon as I do, wireless technology will take another giant leap forward and I'll be left in the dust, lol.
    They are nice headphones. Very comfortable for me. They make everything sound good too.

Wouldn't be my first choice for mixing/mastering in the studio as they add their own color, but they will make even less than audiophile quality recordings sound good.

I also wouldn't worry about the wireless tech with these. They do what they do well, regardless of what might come out next year. 
    edited June 2020
    dudeman said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    They are nice headphones. Very comfortable for me. They make everything sound good too.

Wouldn't be my first choice for mixing/mastering in the studio as they add their own color, but they will make even less than audiophile quality recordings sound good.

I also wouldn't worry about the wireless tech with these. They do what they do well, regardless of what might come out next year. 

I never pulled the trigger on those, but now I just did so for the brand new Bose wireless noise cancelling offering - the 700s. Saw a $50 off the $500 CAD price, and decided to FINALLY go for it. I know that these suffered from a rash of negative reviews at first because there was something wrong with the app for iOS. Apparently that has been fixed, but I don't have to worry, since I use Windows and Android. The only thing I'm not so cool with for these, compared to the 35 IIs, is that they don't fold. They only flip flat. Kind of a huge case for them. But other than that, the functionality and features sound awesome, and they apparently work much better with Alexa too. I am SO STOKED. This will be my first set of quality headphone in my whole life. Decided now is the right time, as I'm working from home and listening to records all day long, and also doing all my work communications by video conference.
    I get them tomorrow - whoohoo!
    PJ_Soul said:
    dudeman said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I never pulled the trigger on those, but now I just did so for the brand new Bose wireless noise cancelling offering - the 700s. Saw a $50 off the $500 CAD price, and decided to FINALLY go for it. I know that these suffered from a rash of negative reviews at first because there was something wrong with the app for iOS. Apparently that has been fixed, but I don't have to worry, since I use Windows and Android. The only thing I'm not so cool with for these, compared to the 35 IIs, is that they don't fold. They only flip flat. Kind of a huge case for them. But other than that, the functionality and features sound awesome, and they apparently work much better with Alexa too. I am SO STOKED. This will be my first set of quality headphone in my whole life. Decided now is the right time, as I'm working from home and listening to records all day long, and also doing all my work communications by video conference.
    Congrats! Good headphones are a revelation. Prepare to find yourself revisiting your entire music library and hearing things you never caught before. Even records you've heard a million times can feel like hearing for the first time with quality cans.

Excited for you!
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    PJ_Soul said:
    dudeman said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Take em for a test drive yet?
    edited June 2020
    PJ_Soul said:
    dudeman said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I have, but I discovered that I need a plug adapter (3.5mm to 6.5mm) for my receiver so I can listen to my vinyl, so I've ordered that and should get it tomorrow. Can't wait for that.
    I have used it just for streaming and the phone and TV now though, and it's fantastic. Very clear sound, the noise cancelling is stunning, and the functionality is really cool. Just swipe the side of the can to skip songs or shows and to control volume, tap to answer and end phone calls and stop and start music, that kind of thing. Very fancy. :tongue: And quick buttons for noise cancelling levels and Alexa. They're pretty sweet! And are super comfortable. Can easily wear them all day, and they aren't hot on the ears. And insanely light. I actually thought maybe they had fucked up when they prepared my package, since the box was so light it felt like nothing was in there, lol.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dudeman said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I have, but I discovered that I need a plug adapter (3.5mm to 6.5mm) for my receiver so I can listen to my vinyl, so I've ordered that and should get it tomorrow. Can't wait for that.
    I have used it just for streaming and the phone and TV now though, and it's fantastic. Very clear sound, the noise cancelling is stunning, and the functionality is really cool. Just swipe the side of the can to skip songs or shows and to control volume, tap to answer and end phone calls and stop and start music, that kind of thing. Very fancy. :tongue: And quick buttons for noise cancelling levels and Alexa. They're pretty sweet! And are super comfortable. Can easily wear them all day, and they aren't hot on the ears. And insanely light. I actually thought maybe they had fucked up when they prepared my package, since the box was so light it felt like nothing was in there, lol.

Sounds like a positive experience so far!
    One more to add to the heap: AKG K245. They are on sale at a lot of places right now for well under $100.00. 

They are open-backed so probably not the best choice for the office or where other people might be bothered by bleed. Aside from that, holy hell do they sound great. Easily as good as the ATH-M50x and easy to drive with a phone or other device due to the 32 ohm impedance. 

They make a closed back version too. (K275)

These K245s are shocking for the cost. Very even frequency response with lots of bass but not so much that it messes with the midrange balance. The top end is open and clear but never harsh. Metal headband that is self adjusting and the swiveling ear cups are metal too. They fold up for travel, come with a carry bag and a mini xlr to 3.5mm coiled cable.

Rumor is that this series (K175 on ear, K245 open back and K275 closed back) were the last products from the Austrian design team before the company was sold and restructured. 

Anyway, these cans are great sounding and a tremendous bargain.
    Picked up a pair of Sony MDR-7506 cans today. Still breaking them in but so far, they are a great balance of comfort, sound quality and cost. 

It's easy to see why they are considered to be industry standards. 
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    I have a larger head (hat size is 7 1/2) so I've spent more money in vain trying to find a good pair of headphones that I can stand wearing for more than 10 minutes.  The two pairs I have that I like and can vouch for are:

Audio Tech M50x
    Bose Quiet Comfort ii  

The Bose are mainly for listening to streaming music.  Nice for mowing the lawn and airplanes.

The M50x are what I use in the studio.   I tried 20 pairs in a music shop ranging from $100 - $500.  There were only 3 pairs that felt comfortable in the batch.   I think M50x are $160 and the others were over $350.  I think they sounded comparative to cans in the $300 range.  There was a pair for $400 that were dreamy, but I don't recall the brand 
    I love my AT M50xs. They get used probably 90% of the time I need headphones for tracking. 

They sound great just for casual listening too.
    One more new pair today. Shure SRH-840. Got them on sale at GC for just over a hundred bucks. (They used to be $200.)

They are a little on the heavy side but they sound super nice. Very similar to the Sony MDR-7506 in terms of frequency balance and soundstage which is to say that they are pretty flat. One area that they outperform the Sonys is in the midrange detail. They are standouts in detail retrieval among the other 'phones in my collection and they aren't even broken in yet. Not as much bass bump as the AT M50x and not as open and airy as the AKG 245 but they are incredibly balanced and natural. Kind of a Goldilocks thing, much like the MDR-7506s.

They sound big and open (for a closed back), are easy to drive with a phone or tablet and despite being heavier, they are tremendously comfortable. I am a glasses wearer and some headphones have too much clamping force. These ones are just right: tight enough to stay in place and make a good seal but they don't ever feel like they're squeezing my head.

The SRH-840s are probably the last headphones I will buy for a while and I can already tell that they are going to get a lot of use.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    ^^^ I'm the opposite. I have a freakishly small head. So I almost have to stay perfectly still to listen to music through my headphones. If I so much as bob my head to the beat, they fall off my head.

And I just take off my glasses when I put on my headphones. Who needs to see?
    I SAW PEARL JAM