MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    He can impose whatever he wants.
    Guess they'll have all of those minor Leaguers they fired to line up and play ball as scabs.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    He can impose whatever he wants.
    Guess they'll have all of those minor Leaguers they fired to line up and play ball as scabs.
    Time to start working out the ol' soup bone again!
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Baseball has more important things to deal with right now?

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1977021

Federal judge orders letter unsealed that could link Yankees to sign-stealing
    4h ago
    Al Bello / Getty Images Sport / Getty
    NEW YORK NY - OCTOBER 03 Didi Gregorius 18 of the New York Yankees celebrates with Brett Gardner 11 after hitting a three run home run against Ervin Santana 54 of the Minnesota Twins during the first inning in the American League Wild Card Game at Yankee Stadium on October 3 2017 in the Bronx borough of New York City

A federal judge has given the New York Yankees until noon on Monday, June 15 to unseal a 2017 letter from Major League Baseball that may link the team to sign-stealing, according to Evan Drellich of The Athletic.

The Yankees argued that making the contents of the letter public would result in "significant reputational injury," judge Jed Rakoff said Friday in his order stemming from a lawsuit that fantasy sports contestants filed against the team and the league. The lawsuit was dismissed in April.

"There is no justification for public disclosure of the letter," said Yankees lawyer Jonathan Schiller. "The plaintiff has no case anymore, and the court held that what MLB wrote in confidence was irrelevant to the court’s dismissal of the plaintiff’s case. Under established law, this supports the Yankees’ right to confidentiality required by the commissioner of Baseball."

MLB investigated the Yankees in 2017, and a press release states the club was, at worst, guilty of minor infractions. The lawsuit argues the sealed letter proved otherwise.

"Plaintiffs alleged that the 2017 press release falsely suggested that the investigation found that the Yankees had only engaged in a minor technical infraction, whereas, according to plaintiffs, the investigation had in fact found that the Yankees engaged in a more serious, sign-stealing scheme," Rakoff wrote Friday.

The investigation revealed the Boston Red Sox used an Apple Watch to relay signs, but it also indicated the Yankees were involved in schemes too, though specifics weren't detailed. The letter may shed light on the Yankees' specific behavior at the time.

Schiller maintains there's no basis for the letter, which is a confidential document, to be made public. MLB is arguing that making the disciplinary findings public could undermine its ability to conduct further internal investigations.

It's the latest chapter in MLB's sign-stealing saga. Following the investigation into the 2017 Astros, general manager Jeff Luhnow and manager AJ Hinch were both fired and suspended for one year. Red Sox manager - and former Astros bench coach - Alex Cora was let go due to his involvement in the scandal. The New York Mets also parted ways with new skipper Carlos Beltran, who played for the Astros in 2017, before he managed a single game.

Current and former Yankees players have been some of the most vocal with their criticisms of the Astros following the league's findings. Retired left-hander CC Sabathia said Houston's conduct made him feel cheated, while Giancarlo Stanton said he would have hit 80 home runs if he knew what pitches were coming.

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Should be interesting.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    did any of you read the SI article on COVID and the minor leagues?

the minors are in a world of hurt.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Yes they are but I didn't see that article - is there a link to share?
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    Wob would probably have to mail you his hard copy of his magazine that he got a football phone with when he signed up for the subscription.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    True!
    Poncier said:
    Wob would probably have to mail you his hard copy of his magazine that he got a football phone with when he signed up for the subscription.

I think I got Dallas Cowboys Zubaz pants!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Thanks Wobbie I will read it.

The owners are driving the bus off a cliff.
    HardballTalk : Players reject MLB offer, ask league to set a 2020 schedule
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    I've gotten a sense many owners don't want to play. this kind of confirms that belief.  https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1272632885397291008
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    These fucking idiots
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I've gotten a sense many owners don't want to play. this kind of confirms that belief.  https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1272632885397291008

wasn’t manfred 100% sure there WOULD be a season, only a couple of days ago?

can’t say I really care....Giants were gonna suck.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    I guess this is obvious, but they're going to do long lasting damage to this sport if there is no season this year. 

A bunch of fucking billionaires and millionaires arguing about money when 40 million people lost their jobs is not a good look.

chinese-happy.jpg
    And if Passan reports it, it is exactly the message MLB wants out there.

It is so bad....I don't know that they would have fit a while season in but at least we would have something.

As a Reds fan it sucks even more....expanding the playoff field would give us a deal chance for a change.
    And if Passan reports it, it is exactly the message MLB wants out there.

It is so bad....I don't know that they would have fit a while season in but at least we would have something.

As a Reds fan it sucks even more....expanding the playoff field would give us a deal chance for a change.
    Whoever won the world series in a 50 some game season though, would have to have an enormous asterisk next to that title. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I would take that.  Haven't celebrated a world series win for my favorite squad since I was in High School and they beat the As.

I was at two out of three games of the last playoff series reds won.  Cool?  Not when you know it was the NLDS in 1995.

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Im hoping for no season to be honest, even if it would be terrible for the Indians.

I want to see the economic system for professional baseball burned down to the studs and re-built.  It is the worst of the 4 major sports and is not sustainable.  

Might as well use this pandemic, already lost half or more of the season, and make it 'the big one' to break the Union, much like the NHL in 2005.  
    MayDay10 said:
    Im hoping for no season to be honest, even if it would be terrible for the Indians.

I want to see the economic system for professional baseball burned down to the studs and re-built.  It is the worst of the 4 major sports and is not sustainable.  

Might as well use this pandemic, already lost half or more of the season, and make it 'the big one' to break the Union, much like the NHL in 2005.  
    Don't you think the problem with this is that the NHL teams were in trouble in general and MLB has never made more money than it did last year?

I'm all for your idea if the end result is lower pricing to fans in comparable fashion

We know that is unlikely, though.

Don't agree with the players being the boogie man in all of this 
    Should they get such huge salaries?
    Sure, if TV contracts and team revenues are what they are.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    MayDay10 said:

Don't you think the problem with this is that the NHL teams were in trouble in general and MLB has never made more money than it did last year?

I'm all for your idea if the end result is lower pricing to fans in comparable fashion

The things that have hurt professional baseball is both the large markets and the MLBPA.  Both have selfishly pushed the status quo for too long, and that dope Manfred (ironically now) was a product of that.

With these leagues, I am a big fan of the socialized approach where revenue is shared, and the Players' Association negotiates a % of the total revenues (then all the smaller things fall in line like FA age, and other machinations). 

Players should get a % of the revenue.  Like it is now, it is off kilter.  You are getting this class of players where the top tier is way too out of whack/extreme (like contracts approaching a half-billion).  A team like my Indians can never afford to keep their own best players and it sucks as a fan and drains interest.  A large part of baseball is the nostalgia and the iconic players who are identified with teams.  

And the stunt with vaporizing much of MiLB is also counter-productive and will help snuff out baseball in a generation.  I always say that in 50 years, at this trajectory, baseball will have gone the way of Boxing and Horse Racing.  
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    I guess this is obvious, but they're going to do long lasting damage to this sport if there is no season this year. 

A bunch of fucking billionaires and millionaires arguing about money when 40 million people lost their jobs is not a good look.

Yep.  But hey, at least MLB has a really young fanbase!  It really is amazing how badly they have fucked this up.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    This is nice. Harper calling Radcliff and welcoming him. It'll be cool when they meet in person....next year.

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    MayDay10 said:
    MayDay10 said:

The things that have hurt professional baseball is both the large markets and the MLBPA.  Both have selfishly pushed the status quo for too long, and that dope Manfred (ironically now) was a product of that.

With these leagues, I am a big fan of the socialized approach where revenue is shared, and the Players' Association negotiates a % of the total revenues (then all the smaller things fall in line like FA age, and other machinations). 

Players should get a % of the revenue.  Like it is now, it is off kilter.  You are getting this class of players where the top tier is way too out of whack/extreme (like contracts approaching a half-billion).  A team like my Indians can never afford to keep their own best players and it sucks as a fan and drains interest.  A large part of baseball is the nostalgia and the iconic players who are identified with teams.  

And the stunt with vaporizing much of MiLB is also counter-productive and will help snuff out baseball in a generation.  I always say that in 50 years, at this trajectory, baseball will have gone the way of Boxing and Horse Racing.  
    Not sure I agree with all the ideas but it is tough to argue the issues you point at

Will be interesting to see.
    edited June 2020

Yep.  But hey, at least MLB has a really young fanbase!  It really is amazing how badly they have fucked this up.
    I know right? It boggles my fucking mind. 

I also think a 50 game season or whatever is bullshit but that will no doubt create a buzz about this sport that really needs one. They're missing a huge opportunity to grow the game. Not surprising though. 

Assuming all these things are able to to go, we're gonna have NBA playoffs, hockey playoffs, the NFL, and golf majors all happening around the same time. Fucking baseball. Idiots. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    No Season ?

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1977514

Report: More than 8 MLB owners don't want a season in 2020
    6h ago
    Tim Clayton - Corbis / Corbis Sport / Getty
    MAY 19 An official Rawlings Major League Baseball for the 2020 Major League Baseball season showing the red stitching and markings and the signature of MLB commissioner Rob Manfred on the19th May 2020

For months, it seemed like a foregone conclusion there would be a Major League Baseball season in 2020. The only question appeared to be in reference to what form it would take in the face of a global pandemic.

On Monday, commissioner Rob Manfred said he's no longer confident a season will take place, and apparently some owners want it that way.

"There are definitely more than eight owners who don’t want to play," a player agent said, according to Ken Rosenthal and Evan Drellich of The Athletic.

It's been reported that Manfred has the authority to implement a shortened schedule with the expected length running between 50-60 games (a theoretical 48-game schedule is not being considered). However, after the players rejected the most recent proposal from the league, Manfred is apparently reluctant to impose his schedule because it may result in a grievance from the union.

Manfred needs support from 75% of owners (23) to unilaterally implement the schedule.

After calling the stalled negotiations a "disaster" on ESPN on Monday, Manfred wants the bickering with the union to stop so a suitable agreement can be reached, sources told Rosenthal.

The crux of the uncertainty is a disagreement over pay and finances. The MLBPA wants the owners to pay out full prorated salaries for the amount of games played, as stated in the original March agreement.

The owners have stated that without fans, full prorated salaries are untenable due to prospective financial losses. They've also said there was an understanding that the prorated agreement could be modified if fans were not allowed to return to ballparks.

For now, the season remains up in the air. Players have voiced their displeasure with the negotiations, and it's expected that the acrimony during these discussions could have a far-reaching effect on CBA negotiations after the 2021 campaign.

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    Great...so now we have Harper until he's 39. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
     baseball union is the worst. fuck Boras and the players.  although why didn't the owners put in a clause in the March agreement if no fans were allowed? someone fucked that up.

saw a story on Twitter that Mookie Betts becomes a free agent after this year even if there is no season. so he may never play a game for the Dodgers.  If that is true kind of funny.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I will never in my life understand the line of thinking that roots for the owners over the players everyone loves watch play. It’s fucking mind boggling.

Yeah the MLB union should be more like the bitch ass NFL union where former players are going brain dead and teams can drop players whenever they want 
    Ha.  Agree.  F the owners in this particular equation.  
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    pjhawks said:

saw a story on Twitter that Mookie Betts becomes a free agent after this year even if there is no season. so he may never play a game for the Dodgers.  If that is true kind of funny.
    Yep. Makes a lopsided trade in the Dodgers' favor become a lopsided trade in the Red Sox' favor when he signs with the Braves.
    This weekend we rock Portland