Pearl Jam Art Of Do The Evolution Hardcover . 25th Anniversary of Music Video

Comments

• big dipper ice creambig dipper ice cream malt-hop epicenter Posts: 2,528
    October 2023...

2024..........ANCHORAGE-FAIRBANKS-VANCOUVER-SEATTLE-PORTLAND-BOISE-SLC-MISSOULA

• P34RL J4MM3RP34RL J4MM3R Posts: 1,312
    October 2123...
    I fixed your post.  Sorry about your typo.  Can't wait for this book.
    There's no need to say goodbye
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314

We're still on track for a Fall release of the book. Confirming the book's "introduction" writer this week and writing promo copy for the release. Here's a promotional from a few years back with an earlier version of the cover.

• PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    ^ 10C, please make sure that would also be available at the UK/EU shop. :prayer:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    Weird that the Amazon UK store says out of stock
    https://amzn.to/2ARrh3S
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:

Temporarily out of stock now. You can still add to cart & process your order. 
    demetrios said:
    igotid88 said:

Temporarily out of stock now. You can still add to cart & process your order. 
    Yea but why say temporarily out of stock when they haven't sold them yet? I doubt they were even in stock
    I miss igotid88
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,374
    igotid88 said:
    on2legs said:
    igotid88 said:
    on2legs said:
    OK so is there any chance we ARE getting this.. Been waiting years lololol 
    Zero chance for the book but 150% chance this guy finds some napkins in his attic with sketches on them that will be for sale. 
    Why do you say that? Everything's been approved so far.
    I have no insider info.  But the endless delays so far indicate there’s serious issues with the book production and when you couple that with a world wide pandemic that has impacted supply chains and logistics in almost every area it doesn’t look too good. 
    Early delays had to do with the bands approval. I forget what else. I guess you can look through the thread. Books have been released throughout this pandemic. 

I'm not optimistic based on the track record.  I hope it shows up but I'm not hopeful.  He's still working on getting someone to write an introduction...
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• I pre-ordered one for $40 on Amazon last week.  Of course, it won't be shipped until many months from now.  I can't wait to see it!

Happy Memorial Day weekend for all of our American members. Have a wonderful time, but stay safe.

I have some great news to share. I just received the final element in the Pearl Jam: Art of Do the Evolution book's long gestation; the Forward. And it's by none other then the video's seminal creative, Todd McFarlane!

Todd was the creative originally approached by Eddie to make the video and he was the one that brought the project to me and Epoch Ink Animation to actually make it. Todd co-directed the video with Kevin Altieri. And it was Todd and the video's co-producer at TME, Terry Fitzgerald, who ran interference for the team at Epoch, forwarding all of our materials to Eddie and the band to insure approval and record turnarounds.

I'm really happy about Todd coming on board with his Forward. Now the book has specific written commentary and material by ALL of the key creative's on the video (aside from Eddie). Co-director, Kevin Altieri has an extensive interview in the book, co-producer, Terry Fitzgerald contributed numerous stories, commentaries and anecdotes to the book, Deatj Girl designer, Brad Coombs details an evening spent jamming with his band and Eddie and Tim Robins, and I wrote and edited the main body of text.

When you add in the massive collection of artwork; cells, storyboards and designs from Epoch's archives, and the unique deconstructed layout by Robbie Robbins, I think we've got one of the most complete books on the animation and creative process ever produced.

This Fall will tell the tale. Thanks again all for your long suffering patience.

Joe Pearson shared a link.

We're still on track with IDW for a release of the book this Fall. I just reviewed a Press Release from them which will go out next week.

In the meantime, here's a link a ripping and edgy music video that's part of a 40 minute release on Netflix. Great Japanese design and animation and a cool song. And sadly it feels very "timely" for these dark days. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvT0rzUo4zc

https://butwhythopodcast.com/2020/06/08/pearl-jam-art-of-do-the-evolution-provides-a-behind-the-scenes-look-at-the-band/

‘Pearl Jam: Art of Do The Evolution’ Provides a Behind-The-Scenes Look at The Band

Twenty-two years after legendary rock band Pearl Jam debuted their Grammy Award-nominated “Do The Evolution” music video, its hypnotic and shocking imagery is perhaps even more relevant to social and environmental issues than during the band’s 1998 Yield tour.

Directed by visionary comics legend Todd McFarlane (Spawn) and veteran animator Kevin Altieri (Batman: The Animated Series), this achievement in animation told a graphic and dark history of the world in four gripping minutes and is widely considered one of the best music videos of all time.

In October, IDW Publishing will release Pearl Jam: Art of Do The Evolution, a 200-page, full-color hardcover revealing the full story behind the creation of this historic video. Lushly illustrated by the video’s striking animation cells with never before seen storyboards and designs from the video, the video’s co-producer, Joe Pearson, will guide readers through the fascinating process of bringing the band’s vision to life in this one-of-a-kind art book.

Todd McFarlane, in the book’s introduction, describes the Do The Evolution music video as “the history of mankind in as condensed a version as you will ever see. In this book, you’ll see and read about some of the process of how we pulled off such a Herculean task… It’s filled with so many wonderful examples of how dozens of creative people come together to put together what would soon become a Grammy-nominated video.”

“Being able to produce this seminal animated video at my studio for Pearl Jam and to work with super talents like Eddie Vedder, Todd McFarlane, and Kevin Altieri was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity,” says Pearson. “And then to see the positive and continuing worldwide reaction of millions of fans to our group effort was the icing on this dense cake of edgy music and animation.”

Justin Eisinger, IDW’s Editorial Director of Graphic Novels & Collections, says, “Pearl Jam’s Do The Evolution brings the threat of man’s quest for domination into stark, relatable terms, a theme that remains at the forefront of current conversation. Filled with bold imagery and layered visual storytelling that accentuates the already searing lyrics, McFarlane and Altieri created a video that spans the history of mankind. And now their groundbreaking work can be fully appreciated in this in-depth, behind-the-scenes book that explores how it all came together.”

The Art of Do The Evolution hardcover is essential reading for new and longtime Pearl Jam devotees, animation and graphic design fans who recognize “Do the Evolution” as a high point in the field, and anyone with an acute interest in music video history.

Pearl Jam: Art of Do The Evolution is currently available for pre-order via online booksellers and comic book specialty retailers. Visit www.comicshoplocator.com to find a store near you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/158982971331463/permalink/930398714189881/

And I do have good news to lighten your hearts in this troubled time. IDW's press release for the "PEARL JAM; ART OF DO THE EVOLUTION" book came out today and they are promoting an October release! I'd be less then honest, if I didn't admit that IDW has put a number of releases out promoting a publication dates that never occurred. It's been as frustrating for me as I know it's been for all of you. I have the word of IDW's current chief officer that this one is for real and is a go! 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited June 2020
    I'll fight hell to hold that book*

* KISS reference

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    Finally! Pre-ordered it on Amazon. 
  • joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,203
    What do you get with a preorder?
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    joseph33 said:
    Just the book as far as I know. 
    joseph33 said:
    What do you usually get with a preorder?
    I miss igotid88
    joseph33 said:
    From Amazon?

Maybe Joe over on Facebook will offer up signed copies. Who knows. 
  • guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    We've had a holding pre order for 3 years now.. 
  • redrawredraw Posts: 1,271
    edited June 2020
    Best option I can find in Australia - pretty good price =)=) 
    https://www.booktopia.com.au/pearl-jam-art-of-do-the-evolution-brad-coombs/book/9781631407413.html
    Other option is:
    https://www.bookdepository.com/Pearl-Jam-Art-Do-Evolution-Brad-Coombs/9781631407413
    they are both about the same price when shipping is added...
    Post edited by redraw on
    '95: Brisbane BEC March 21 & 22 '98: Brisbane BEC March 14 & 15 '03: Brad Surfers Paradise Troccadero Jan 11
    '03: Brisbane BEC Feb 8 '06: Brisbane BEC Nov 10 & 11 '09: Brisbane QSAC Nov 25
    '11: EV Solo Brisbane QPAC March 10, 12 & 13 '11: PJ20 Alpine Valley Sep 3 & 4
    '14: Gold Coast BDO Jan 19 EV Solo QPAC Feb 22, 23 & 25
    edited June 2020
    AI Upscale: Pearl Jam - Do The Evolution

BlueCop - I was playing with AI upscaling one of my favorite music videos. I thought some people might want to check out how it looks. The one on youtube has interlacing artifacts. I couldn't get a good clean source to work from but did the best I could.

Post edited by demetrios on
    Think maybe 10club will be taking pre orders soon?