Options

End the culture of hate and narcissism.

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
edited June 2020 in A Moving Train
No, this is not a thread about the Narcissist in Chief (although it well could be, as he is a prime example of overblown hate and narcissism).  No, I'm calling out everyone who derides, chastises, or berates others without first making an attempt at using kindness and thoughtful instruction first.  And I'm calling myself out on this as much or more than anyone.  I know sometimes I've come across as a know-it-all.  Well, I may been around the block a heck of a lot of times and they say when people get old it is too late for them to change, but I'm still trying to learn and will take any well intentioned help I can get that way.  And I hope we all keep trying to do better.   It seems to me the place to start with that is with kindness.  I'll try to be more kind in my responses.  I am sorry for the times I have been an asshole here- and I have been.  There is too much hate and self-righteous behavior in the world and we can all do better.  I will try and I hope others will as well. 
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    Solid sentiment. Fall short often.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

You have been one of the best here to teach me how to see from differing perspectives, Cincy.  I am grateful for that.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:

You have been one of the best here to teach me how to see from differing perspectives, Cincy.  I am grateful for that.
    Just to be clear, I meant I fall short often :)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    brianlux said:

And yes, this place has exposed me to people like yourself and others that have different perspectives which has been very good for me.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Just to be clear, I meant I fall short often :)

Understood.  We all do, sometimes, Cincy.  Hopefully we're all here to learn.  :smile:

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,880
    Brian you  always educate and thats a gift.
    I made a mistake that i had no idea  was even a mistake . I wrote  literally and because i don't  use media or the  internet i just  couldnt know that there was another meaning and if anyone  would have said hey thats not what you think  it is. I am the first to be offended. 
    People can be angered or shocked but i do in general think  im kind and  true . The thought  ive made a mistake i cant of known  was, just goes to show. Not everyone reads facebook or instagram or whatever. And often  a kind word can help to see or learn.

I guess  though  everyone is angry and  sad about all that is happening in the world. Life is short. Very short. 2 friends under 40 gone in my life  this is reality and it hurts  .
    Its really all i meant to portray but i know how  it goes on here.  Ive seen it happen to a couple  of friends. 
    Im sad  about  it but i cant do anything  but know i care about everyone .
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Brian you  always educate and thats a gift.
    I made a mistake that i had no idea  was even a mistake . I wrote  literally and because i don't  use media or the  internet i just  couldnt know that there was another meaning and if anyone  would have said hey thats not what you think  it is. I am the first to be offended. 
    People can be angered or shocked but i do in general think  im kind and  true . The thought  ive made a mistake i cant of known  was, just goes to show. Not everyone reads facebook or instagram or whatever. And often  a kind word can help to see or learn.

I guess  though  everyone is angry and  sad about all that is happening in the world. Life is short. Very short. 2 friends under 40 gone in my life  this is reality and it hurts  .
    Its really all i meant to portray but i know how  it goes on here.  Ive seen it happen to a couple  of friends. 
    Im sad  about  it but i cant do anything  but know i care about everyone .

We're all learning, Rob.  I know I've said things that I later rescinded.  

I can understand why people are both angry and sad, of course.  I like what John Lydon said about anger being an energy that can be wasted on useless destruction or can be used in a positive way to change things or be creative or both.

• Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,358
    brianlux said:
    No, this is not a thread about the Narcissist in Chief (although it well could be, as he is a prime example of overblown hate and narcissism).  No, I'm calling out everyone who derides, chastises, or berates others without first making an attempt at using kindness and thoughtful instruction first.  And I'm calling myself out on this as much or more than anyone.  I know sometimes I've come across as a know-it-all.  Well, I may been around the block a heck of a lot of times and they say when people get old it is too late for them to change, but I'm still trying to learn and will take any well intentioned help I can get that way.  And I hope we all keep trying to do better.   It seems to me the place to start with that is with kindness.  I'll try to be more kind in my responses.  I am sorry for the times I have been an asshole here- and I have been.  There is too much hate and self-righteous behavior in the world and we can all do better.  I will try and I hope others will as well. 
    Brian, I read MT every day, but don't post that often. I've never seen you act like a 'know-it-all' or an instance when you were an asshole.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Brian, I read MT every day, but don't post that often. I've never seen you act like a 'know-it-all' or an instance when you were an asshole.

You are too kind, stuckinline. :smile: