2023/2024 NBA Season October 18th Opening Tip off! Pg 48

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,851
    Sloan was a class act. RIP.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Adam Silver saying July 31st to re-start the NBA.
    https://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1973934

Report: NBA owners expected to approve 22-team return, potential play-in
    1h ago
    Streeter Lecka / Getty Images Sport / Getty
    CHARLOTTE NORTH CAROLINA - FEBRUARY 16 Adam Silver NBA Commissioner talks to the media during the NBA All Star Commissioners Media Availability as part of the 2019 NBA All-Star Weekend at Spectrum Center on February 16 2019 in Charlotte North Carolina

It's becoming clear what the rest of the season could look like when the NBA attempts to return this summer after a pause of nearly five months.

NBA commissioner Adam Silver is planning to propose a 22-team return-to-play format to the league's board of governors Thursday, ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reports.

Owners are expected to approve the proposal during the call, which is scheduled for 12:30 p.m. ET.

Each of the 22 teams - the 16 current playoff teams plus the six teams currently within six games of the 8-seed in their respective conferences - will play eight regular-season games at the Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando to help determine playoff seeding, sources told Wojnarowski.

Thirteen of the 22 teams set to compete are from the Western Conference. The six current non-playoff teams traveling to Orlando would be the New Orleans PelicansPortland Trail BlazersPhoenix SunsSacramento KingsSan Antonio Spurs, and Washington Wizards.

All players and coaches staying in Orlando will be permitted to go golfing and eat at outdoor restaurants but must practice social distancing while doing so, according to ESPN's Ramona Shelburne.

Further details of a potential play-in tournament following those regular-season games have also come to light.

If a conference's No. 9 seed trails the No. 8 seed by more than four games at the conclusion of the regular season, the latter will automatically clinch a playoff spot.

But if the gap between the eighth and ninth seed is under four games, those teams would reportedly meet in a double-elimination, play-in tournament to determine the 8-seed.

A 9-seed would need to win two straight play-in games against the 8-seed in order to make the playoffs under this format, whereas the 8-seed would only have to win one game to clinch a postseason berth.

The NBA is targeting July 31 for a return to play, while the season could extend until October 12 in the event the 2020 Finals reach a winner-take-all Game 7, Wojnarowski adds. Teams will have full training camps throughout July before play resumes.

The NBA draft lottery and combine are now expected to be held in August as part of the changes to the league's calendar, sources told The Athletic's Shams Charania.

cutz said:

1h ago
    CHARLOTTE NORTH CAROLINA - FEBRUARY 16 Adam Silver NBA Commissioner talks to the media during the NBA All Star Commissioners Media Availability as part of the 2019 NBA All-Star Weekend at Spectrum Center on February 16 2019 in Charlotte North Carolina

It's becoming clear what the rest of the season could look like when the NBA attempts to return this summer after a pause of nearly five months.

NBA commissioner Adam Silver is planning to propose a 22-team return-to-play format to the league's board of governors Thursday, ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reports.

Owners are expected to approve the proposal during the call, which is scheduled for 12:30 p.m. ET.

Each of the 22 teams - the 16 current playoff teams plus the six teams currently within six games of the 8-seed in their respective conferences - will play eight regular-season games at the Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando to help determine playoff seeding, sources told Wojnarowski.

Thirteen of the 22 teams set to compete are from the Western Conference. The six current non-playoff teams traveling to Orlando would be the New Orleans PelicansPortland Trail BlazersPhoenix SunsSacramento KingsSan Antonio Spurs, and Washington Wizards.

All players and coaches staying in Orlando will be permitted to go golfing and eat at outdoor restaurants but must practice social distancing while doing so, according to ESPN's Ramona Shelburne.

Further details of a potential play-in tournament following those regular-season games have also come to light.

If a conference's No. 9 seed trails the No. 8 seed by more than four games at the conclusion of the regular season, the latter will automatically clinch a playoff spot.

But if the gap between the eighth and ninth seed is under four games, those teams would reportedly meet in a double-elimination, play-in tournament to determine the 8-seed.

A 9-seed would need to win two straight play-in games against the 8-seed in order to make the playoffs under this format, whereas the 8-seed would only have to win one game to clinch a postseason berth.

The NBA is targeting July 31 for a return to play, while the season could extend until October 12 in the event the 2020 Finals reach a winner-take-all Game 7, Wojnarowski adds. Teams will have full training camps throughout July before play resumes.

The NBA draft lottery and combine are now expected to be held in August as part of the changes to the league's calendar, sources told The Athletic's Shams Charania.

So, what is going to be the one thing that shuts it all down again?
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    cutz said:

1h ago

Multiple players getting the virus again. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    cutz said:

1h ago

Multiple players getting the virus again. 
    Should be inevitable right?

Imagine making it to the finals and shit gets shut down because you went out and got the Rona?
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    At least the league and players union was able to work together to bring basketball back. I bet everyone in the NBA is looking at MLB and laughing their asses off. MLB is screwing the pooch on a golden opportunity to regain lost fans.
    At least the league and players union was able to work together to bring basketball back. I bet everyone in the NBA is looking at MLB and laughing their asses off. MLB is screwing the pooch on a golden opportunity to regain lost fans.
    There is a difference though, the NBA played a grip of games already and made money where the MLB never even got out of Spring Training.
    There is a difference though, the NBA played a grip of games already and made money where the MLB never even got out of Spring Training.
    That has nothing to do with the league/owners and players union being able to work together. It would have been very easy for the NBA to just cancel the rest of the season, but they didn't and worked it out.
    That has nothing to do with the league/owners and players union being able to work together. It would have been very easy for the NBA to just cancel the rest of the season, but they didn't and worked it out.
    Of course it does.  No people in the stands at all for Baseball owners equals less money hence why less was offered to the players.

The NBA already played games w people in the stands and made money.
    I get the economics of it all, I just think the issues MLB have extends beyond the economics. Otherwise, they would be working in good faith to come to an agreement. 
    22 teams starting up!
    22 teams starting up!
    When are they releasing the schedule?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    22 teams starting up!
    I think thgey are waiting to have a few things signed and then it will release.  

From everything I have heard it will happen soon.
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,413
    22 teams starting up!

Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    23scidoo said:
    22 teams starting up!

What's the schedule for the 8 remaining Regular Season games? 

I don't think that's been announced yet?
    cutz said:
    23scidoo said:
    22 teams starting up!

Nope..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

edited June 2020
    23scidoo said:
    cutz said:
    23scidoo said:
    22 teams starting up!

Nope..

Post edited by 23scidoo on
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

He is doing the right thing.  Good for him!
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    He is doing the right thing.  Good for him!
    There's really nothing to dislike about him....unless your team went against him in a playoff series in the early 2000's. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    Yeah, seems to be a very likeable guy.
    His one season here in Boston at the end of his career, he was often seen out and about doing wacky things and interacting with folks,
    This weekend we rock Portland
    edited July 2020
    Poncier said:
    His one season here in Boston at the end of his career, he was often seen out and about doing wacky things and interacting with folks,
    I advise everyone to watch his TV show.  He has fun at everything and generally likes people.

EDIT: He "genuinely" likes people.
    Poncier said:
    I advise everyone to watch his TV show.  He has fun at everything and generally likes people.

Thank you for the edit. That is quite a distinction. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Poncier said:

Realized it right after I pressed Post... Dammit...
    Poncier said:

For me, though, I would go with "generally." lol
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Poncier said:

That is the same sentiment from most of us assholes on here.  You haven't made Dankinds list yet though, but there is still time.
    Poncier said:

That is the same sentiment from most of us assholes on here.  You haven't made Dankinds list yet though, but there is still time.
    Don't know about those lists but people in general, well...they're the worst. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    Poncier said:

Don't know about those lists but people in general, well...they're the worst. 

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com