******** YOUR PHILADELPHIA EAGLES ********

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Based on the schedule I say they go....0-0, as there's no season.

But if I were an optimist I'd say in a regular year they realistically go 9-7 or 8-8, best case scenario is 11-5. What's everyone else thinking?
    I'm thinking the only reason the season happens is because many of the owners are donors to the Trump campaign and Trump sees the NFL season as a huge barometer for how we've bounced back. I can't see myself going down there with thousands of other people..
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Based on the schedule I say they go....0-0, as there's no season.

But if I were an optimist I'd say in a regular year they realistically go 9-7 or 8-8, best case scenario is 11-5. What's everyone else thinking?
    I'm thinking the only reason the season happens is because many of the owners are donors to the Trump campaign and Trump sees the NFL season as a huge barometer for how we've bounced back. I can't see myself going down there with thousands of other people..
    People will go, though - awful to say, but at least if we're thinning the herd might as well make it the right herd.

There's nothing more I want to do than go to the ballpark and watch a baseball game, or go to the fucking zoo. I've never wanted to go to the zoo (having kids changes that). But I'll be doing neither for at least 12-18 months.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,172
     I'm kind of surprised you guys say you won't go.  do you guys really plan on doing nothing social for the next 12-18 months if there is no vaccine (seems like we might have a vaccine earlier than that though)?  I just don't see that being realistic for myself.   I hope to be in a bar my mid June of this year and still have a planned OBX beach trip in August.  If college basketball plays next year with fans I'll be there.  Obviously you need to limit exposure but how viral this virus is it would be hard to believe almost all of us haven't been exposed to it yet. It would be nice to actually have some leadership so we could have a better idea what the coming months might be but alas we elected an asshole moron to be Potus.

short of a huge outbreak amongst  the players the NFL (and SEC football) will play next year.  Might be without fans, although I believe they will have fans as well.  Juggler I don't think it has anything to do with Trump.  These sports and owners are all about the $$$$. It's why there almost has to be Division 1 football next year. These schools just can't afford not to play.  It's also why there is a pretty good chance the NBA playoffs will be played in the summer this year. They all need the TV money.  they will play.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    I don't think they play that stuff with fans

Do get the stance many have about wanting to get out there but that only works if you don't associate with at risk people.  My wife is one such person, so no way I go to anything like that unless they can confirm that having it means you are immune from getting/spreading moving forward and I can test with a reliable test to show if I have had it yet.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    You have one loss at SF.  ;)

I concur, buuuuut doesn't the loser of the Super Bowl usually take a significant step back the following year? Just sayin'...
    Many times, yes.  Most don't have the skills this Niners team has!  ;)
    Who knows for real.  Except the O to be better and the D to be worse 
    edited May 2020
    Why do people think things will have changed by June, other than the want for things to go back to normal? There's only two ways back to normal - with vast, instant, cheap, massive testing, and of course a vaccine. Otherwise, nothing has changed.

You can at least get back to a semi-normal transition if there's the testing.
    edited May 2020
    Why do people think things will have changed by June, other than the want for things to go back to normal? There's only two ways back to normal - with vast, instant, cheap, massive testing, and of course a vaccine. Otherwise, nothing has changed.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/covid-forecasts/?ex_cid=rrpromo

By all accounts, outside of Donald Trump's twitter feed, things will be worse not better come June. This is an incredibly dumb country.

But thank god we happen to live in PA. I can't imagine living in a place like Georgia right now. 

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg

it's not that it's going back to normal...just a new normal.  the reason we closed everything was to limit the exposure at hospitals because we couldn't allow our hospital's to get overwhelmed. that was the original purpose was it not? well the hospital's haven't gotten overwhelmed (yes because of distancing), in fact most hospital's are laying people off because they have so few patients other than Covid patients.  Hospital's will be more prepared for more cases moving forward.  The reason for quarantining seems to have changed in some people's minds.  If we have the hospital's and care workers prepared there is no reason not to re-open things.  Most important is getting supplies to the hospitals workers, including tests.  once we have that we can re-open and people can decide for themselves on their exposure. it's really the only way unless we want a global depression.
    edited May 2020
    pjhawks said:

it's not that it's going back to normal...just a new normal.  the reason we closed everything was to limit the exposure at hospitals because we couldn't allow our hospital's to get overwhelmed. that was the original purpose was it not? well the hospital's haven't gotten overwhelmed (yes because of distancing), in fact most hospital's are laying people off because they have so few patients other than Covid patients.  Hospital's will be more prepared for more cases moving forward.  The reason for quarantining seems to have changed in some people's minds.  If we have the hospital's and care workers prepared there is no reason not to re-open things.  Most important is getting supplies to the hospitals workers, including tests.  once we have that we can re-open and people can decide for themselves on their exposure. it's really the only way unless we want a global depression.

Opening up too soon has made things worse, though. Otherwise, you're points would have more validity. Should've kept the quarantine through May, at least...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Oh where to start - of course it's a new normal. No one's saying hole-up inside and never go out. That's not reasonable. People need to get out. That's why some streets need to be closed - especially in urban areas, so that people have more than the sidewalk. It's a new normal until a vaccine gets here. Hospitals are laying people off due to having to shift resources to Covid-related activities and away from other matters. Hospitals are definitely still overworked - in some states more than others, some counties more than others. There is no ready production of tests right now because leadership at the federal/national level is completely inept. Read the ProPublica piece about the VA contracting for PPE. Not to mention the ironic part that we cannot get substantial production of testing materials without the involvement of China (and for PPE).

I believe you should open up businesses, if for no better reason than that one business doesn't get fucking inundated with people. But i'm also not going to a restaurant so I can sit in a fucking greenhouse and talk to the person across from the table from me like I'm a visitor at a prison.

If you want to ward off a global recession, however unrealistic that is, then you should be propping up people with printing money. It's that simple, until we get out of this. Unemployment is never getting back below no better than 8% with this out there no matter what.

I'm definitely not going somewhere dense with thousands of people - talk about irresponsible and incredibly dumb.
    edited May 2020
    pjhawks said:

Opening up too soon has made things worse, though. Otherwise, you're points would have more validity. Should've kept the quarantine through May, at least...
    yes agree on that to some extent. when this all started I figured we'd be looking at early June before we started opening some things up.  i'm kind of surprised some of the things we started seeing opening up in the past week or two.  bottom line there is a point where the economic issues become as or more important than the virus affecting people itself.  yes that's a bit cold on the surface but there is just no way we can keep people out of work for 12-18 months.  if we do this country will go bankrupt and we will be in a depression.  that cannot be allowed to happen.  

oh and 10-6 division title and make NFC Championship game
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    edited May 2020
    I read the other day that not a single state meets the guidelines the White House outlined to begin opening.

At the same time, the majority of new cases, at least in this area, are nursing homes, jails and behavioral health centers. So if you are looking for a silver lining, it may not be out in the public nearly as much as it was.

I plan to go to the shore a bit, largely for a change of setting. I don't really plan to hang out with people that are still going into work or who aren't following the same guidelines we are.  My work sounds like we'll have full time work from home as an option at least through August.  Most definitely not going to be among thousands of people in a dense area.

I also have an OBX trip in July and it is open.  I don't see a problem with that either.  We'll bring our food, same as we usually do.  Get beer delivered.  House on the beach.  I won't be in contact with a single person more than I usually am.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    I think my mother in law had it during the Super Bowl.  Really looking forward to antibody tests being accurate so we can see. 
    I think my mother in law had it during the Super Bowl.  Really looking forward to antibody tests being accurate so we can see. 
    My brother thought he had it too but his antibody test came back negative. 

Nursing home a few blocks from me just announced 15 cases and 2 deaths this week. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited May 2020
    I read the other day that not a single state meets the guidelines the White House outlined to begin opening.

At the same time, the majority of new cases, at least in this area, are nursing homes, jails and behavioral health centers. So if you are looking for a silver lining, it may not be out in the public nearly as much as it was.

I plan to go to the shore a bit, largely for a change of setting. I don't really plan to hang out with people that are still going into work or who aren't following the same guidelines we are.  My work sounds like we'll have full time work from home as an option at least through August.  Most definitely not going to be among thousands of people in a dense area.

I also have an OBX trip in July and it is open.  I don't see a problem with that either.  We'll bring our food, same as we usually do.  Get beer delivered.  House on the beach.  I won't be in contact with a single person more than I usually am.
    will you go to the beach in OBX? what if they require masks?  I've asked my family members if they would wear masks to beach and most said no but would still go to the OBX.  I would wear mask on beach if required but hope not to have to.   We do Corolla so there are people on the beach but not any crowds like Jersey.  there are some people around.  What part of OBX do you usually do?
    Post edited by pjhawks on
    40% certain I had it, but really no idea.

Those antibody tests are great an all, but just gimme regular tests. Only way to get people moving around freely and responsibly. 
    My brother thought he had it too but his antibody test came back negative. 

Nursing home a few blocks from me just announced 15 cases and 2 deaths this week. 
    Interesting. Yeah probably just wishful thinking but she was in the hospital with what was eventually diagnosed as pneumonia, but they couldn’t figure it out and only made that the official diagnosis as a fall back since she has a history of it.  Assume it probably was but hoping it was this.

That does seem to be where most of the spread is at the moment. 
    pjhawks said:

will you go to the beach in OBX? what if they require masks?  I've asked my family members if they would wear masks to beach and most said no but would still go to the OBX.  I would wear mask on beach if required but hope not to have to.   We do Corolla so there are people on the beach but not any crowds like Jersey.  there are some people around.  What part of OBX do you usually do?
    I’ll wear a mask wherever it makes me safer. If I have to on the beach so be it. I don’t get that I won’t do this if I have to wear a mask. We have friends that say that too. The house we rent is right on the beach and has a deck on the beach, so there is no avoiding it. That said, no one on the beach is really around us as you note, so it’s no different than being in a park here. Will not step foot on the jersey beaches for a while though with how busy they get. I just want to get to the shore, ride in our golf cart, sit outside, have a fire, get different food, etc. 

We do kitty hawk. Used to do corolla but found a perfect house for us in kitty hawk so that’s our go to now.
    Letting Malcolm Jenkins go may be a bigger regret than letting Dawkins walk.
    Letting Malcolm Jenkins go may be a bigger regret than letting Dawkins walk.
    not if he is so pissed off at Drew Brees it fucks up the Saints and makes them one less team Birds gotta worry about.
    Jenkins was one of your best players.  Perhaps he will drop off.
    That kind of play plus leadership is tough to lose.

Oh,and Brees will talk his way out of this.
    Because he is white.
    What I'm saying is I fucking love Malcolm Jenkins, is what I'm saying.
    I love they guy but moving on a year early rather than a year late was the right move. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I love they guy but moving on a year early rather than a year late was the right move. 
    I would agree if not for all the other dumb moves they made. I'd rather have him for another year than overpay in a trade for Slay - both in dollars and, more importantly, picks.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1977454

Eagles' Pro Bowl guard Brooks suffers torn Achilles
    3h ago
    Tom Pennington / Getty Images Sport / Getty
    ARLINGTON TEXAS - OCTOBER 20 Carson Wentz 11 of the Philadelphia Eagles looks to pass as Brandon Brooks 79 blocks during the first half against the Dallas Cowboys in the game at ATT Stadium on October 20 2019 in Arlington Texas

Philadelphia Eagles right guard Brandon Brooks will miss the entire 2020 season after suffering a torn Achilles tendon, NBC's Derrick Gunn reports.

The three-time Pro Bowler confirmed the injury Monday on Twitter.

Brooks was PFF's highest-graded NFL guard in 2019, and the site's fifth-ranked player overall.

The 30-year-old signed a four-year, $54.2-million extension in November.

Philadelphia had arguably the league's best offensive line last season, but the unit is now expected to be without two familiar faces in 2020. Veteran left tackle Jason Peters is currently a free agent, with 2019 first-round pick Andre Dillard projected to take his place after starting four games as a rookie. Jack Driscoll, a fourth-round rookie out of Auburn, is expected to compete for the starting job at right guard in Brooks' absence.

Goes without saying that that's an enormous blow. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    The Eagles sent us an email saying we can either keep our tix for this year, get a refund, or transfer them over to next year. Have till 7/15 to decide. I think we're doing a refund. 

I am still leaning on there not being a season this year anyway.....
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,172
    If there's a season, I doubt there will be fans...and certainly not anywhere close to full capacity if there are.
    This weekend we rock Portland