Apple TV x Dolby Atmos

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
edited April 2020 in The Porch

Apple TV x Dolby Atmos
News April 22 2020

Pearl Jam and Apple TV are announcing the release of the Gigaton Visual Expierence in Dolby Atmos - a special audio visual event.  This experience will be available for free to all Apple TV users for one week.  Start watching on Friday, April 24.    

Global Gigaton Listening Experience

The Pearl Jam Global Gigaton Listening Experience is now available on the Apple TV app. 

Gigaton producer Josh Evans will be going live on Pearl Jam's Instagram with Joel Edwards from Evolve Studio at 7:30pm ET to answer questions about the album.

After the livestream, get together with other Ten Club members on the forum for the Gigaton Watch Party at 8pm ET. 

Apple TV is available on the Apple TV app on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, and Apple TV, as well as Samsung, LG, Roku, and Amazon Fire TVs.

Post edited by Sea on

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    Sweet! B)
  • chittychitty Posts: 574
    Pardon my ignorance on technical info. Can anyone help answer this?

I have an Iphone, but not a tv with Apple TV. Is there a way to play this on my phone, but put it onto my tv?
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    chitty said:

I have an Iphone, but not a tv with Apple TV. Is there a way to play this on my phone, but put it onto my tv?
    As far as I know it only works with Apple TV. Then you can use the AirPlay Button.

Question of my own: I do have Apple TV. So now what? I turn it on and Gigaton magically appears? In the iTunes Shop for free I would imagine? 
  • aliciavaliciav Posts: 48
    edited September 2021
    Post edited by aliciav on
  • chittychitty Posts: 574
    Thank you, I will experiment tonight
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,842
    Wow, I have just acquired an Apple TV ‘unit’...if that’s what you call it! Certainly worth a look! Happy weekend everybody! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • raindog80raindog80 Reggio Emilia, Italy Posts: 1,141
    chitty said:
    So, Apple TV is a thing, Apple TV+ is another thing (a streaming service, like Netflix).

The Apple TV app and Apple TV+ are available on a wide variety of streaming platforms, popular smart TVs, and AirPlay‑enabled TVs.
    Devices: https://www.apple.com/apple-tv-app/devices/

Gigaton Visual Expierence will be available on Apple TV+, 
    "I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things" - Tom Waits
    pearljamonline.it
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    JPPJ84 said:
    chitty said:

Question of my own: I do have Apple TV. So now what? I turn it on and Gigaton magically appears? In the iTunes Shop for free I would imagine? 
    You would go to the Apple TV icon on the menu/front page (black box with white apple logo). If its not one of the banner ads (it most likely will be for the free week), just search Pearl Jam. rn they have PJ20 and Single Video theory (wish they would add HD versions of the other home video releases). Gigaton will most likely appear there.

I would like to know how much it will cost once the free week is done. I have an Atmos setup and if this sounds amazing (the only Atmos release Ive heard is the Taylor Swift reputation show on Netflix - which definitely sounds fucking amazing), I'll buy with no hesitation.

Just a heads up, if your receiver for surround doesn't process Atmos, it will just be a nice 4k watch. No different than playing the CD with nice visuals. 
  • mr_perfectmr_perfect Posts: 144
    edited April 2020
    im ready to go!
    Post edited by mr_perfect on
  • mr_perfectmr_perfect Posts: 144
    ok on first impressions the atmos makes this sound like an entirely different album (especially with track 3) im using a 9.1 atmos setup. will definitely purchase when becomes available 
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    I will be purchasing this too when it comes out. :)

One track in and the mix is so fucking awesome. I wish my iPhone could play Atmos. Would live to hear this on headphones. 
    Holy shit. DotC
    This makes me long for an Atmos mix of a live show. 
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    One track in and the mix is so fucking awesome. I wish my iPhone could play Atmos. Would live to hear this on headphones. 
    Can't wait to watch this tonight!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,022
    I have surround rear speakers on top of a shelf in my living room, but I've never gotten around to hooking them up (no nice way to have the cables reach them). But maybe I will do some temporary setup just to hear this in full surround
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,158
    Well this sucks, I have no way to watch it.
    mattcoz said:
    If you don’t have Dolby Atmos it’s basically just like watching the YouTube videos 
    The videos in the film are the same videos that the band put up on YouTube. It’s just the audio mix is “different”.
  • JC38557JC38557 Posts: 33
    JPPJ84 said:
    mattcoz said:
    If you don’t have Dolby Atmos it’s basically just like watching the YouTube videos 
    Ok. Whatever you say. I watched this on a TV without Atmos (or even a sound bar) and it was fantastic and then I watched it on a 7.1 stereo system with Atmos and it was also fantastic. Beautiful mix. Saying this is like watching Youtube videos is dumb, because this is absolutely awesome regardless of how you watch it. You can put it on and just let the album play, with some visuals. What's with the posturing here? 
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    Just watched it listening through my main system. No Atmos here but it sounded awesome. And the visuals are just fantastic. Give it a go it’s worth it IMO. 
    JC38557 said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    mattcoz said:
    Ok. Whatever you say. I watched this on a TV without Atmos (or even a sound bar) and it was fantastic and then I watched it on a 7.1 stereo system with Atmos and it was also fantastic. Beautiful mix. Saying this is like watching Youtube videos is dumb, because this is absolutely awesome regardless of how you watch it. You can put it on and just let the album play, with some visuals. What's with the posturing here? 
    Sorry for being dumb, I was just trying to make him feel better about not being able to see it. I’m not either by the way, just on my phone.
    So enjoy it for the rest of us and have a lovely day

• Soo cool 😎
  • Hello there.
    I have Samsung. How can I watch it?
    Regards
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    Hello there.
    Regards
    Go to your local Target and purchase an Apple TV. 

Honestly, that’s the only way I know you can. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • I've been trying to watch this on my Roku. I can sign in on the Apple TV app OK, but when I click on "Play Movie", it says "To watch this content, sign in to the ITunes store".

Anybody have a suggestion on what to do? Couldn't find anything online except clearing account etc. (which didn't work)
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Ok, so I'm going to watch on my iPad Pro - have a year of Apple TV free on there. Hoping the playback comes through on headphones, like Soundgarden Superunknown did on their DTS app years ago. *That's still fucking badass if you all ever get to put your ear on it, holy shit. Sound coming at you from all angles.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Hello there.
    Regards
    Go to your local Target and purchase an Apple TV. 

Honestly, that’s the only way I know you can. 
    Oh... regards from Spain. I guess I won't be able to wath it... :(