The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    pjhawks said:
    Why does Nova's uniforms have yellow in them? When did this happen? Looks like the Pacers or something.
    Throwback to the 70s.

how about that Ryan Daly shot to send game into overtime? One of the craziest shots I’ve ever seen.

3-12 but actually impressed with billy lange. Team has really played hard for the most part and love where the roster is headed: two. 4 star guard transfers sitting out and like the young players on this squad. 
    their uniforms were yellow in the 70's? did not know that.

Also not a Big 5 team (nor philly team) but how about Penn St. in the top AP Poll? Although they lost yesterday.

They look like Michigan. Fucking Nike. I hate how so many teams in so many sports, now, have 5 jersey's each.
    I was thinking of Marquette also, but Michigan would work also.
    bflynn1 said:
    Just here to support my Arkansas Razorbacks 😁
    Cool, although I didn't realize Arkansas joined the Big 5

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    pjhawks said:
    Why does Nova's uniforms have yellow in them? When did this happen? Looks like the Pacers or something.
    Throwback to the 70s.

how about that Ryan Daly shot to send game into overtime? One of the craziest shots I’ve ever seen.

3-12 but actually impressed with billy lange. Team has really played hard for the most part and love where the roster is headed: two. 4 star guard transfers sitting out and like the young players on this squad. 

Also not a Big 5 team (nor philly team) but how about Penn St. in the top AP Poll? Although they lost yesterday.

They look like Michigan. Fucking Nike. I hate how so many teams in so many sports, now, have 5 jersey's each.
    bflynn1 said:

Haha all I read was College Basketball 🤦‍♂️
    bflynn1 said:
    pjhawks said:
    Throwback to the 70s.

bflynn1 said:

Haha all I read was College Basketball 🤦‍♂️

there is an NCAA College b-ball thread :smile:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    not too often you see Penn St. (i know not part of the "big 5") ranked higher than Villanova on basketball.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    not too often you see Penn St. (i know not part of the "big 5") ranked higher than Villanova on basketball.
    Penn state is really good. Stevens is heck of a player.  Nova could do almost anything in the tourney.  Wouldn’t be surprised if they lost in the first round or get to the elite eight
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    pjhawks said:
    Penn state is really good. Stevens is heck of a player.  Nova could do almost anything in the tourney.  Wouldn’t be surprised if they lost in the first round or get to the elite eight
    I would agree with you on this. I don't have a great feel for this team.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Jay to the Knicks?  maybe this rumor will just drive up the cost for the Sixers for him after they lose early and fire Brown.
    nope
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    NCAA sure came down hard:

https://www.thescore.com/ncaab/news/1954069

Former Penn coach Allen gets 15-year show-cause penalty for accepting bribe
    2h ago
    Matthew Holst / Getty Images Sport / Getty
    IOWA CITY IA - NOVEMBER 22 Head coach Jerome Allen of the Pennsylvania Quakers during the first half against the Iowa Hawkeyes on November 22 2013 at Carver-Hawkeye Arena in Iowa City Iowa

A former Pennsylvania men's basketball coach has been handed a 15-year show-cause penalty stemming from major ethical conduct violations, the NCAA announced Wednesday.

The punishment comes after the father of a prospective recruit gave the coach at least $250,000 in an attempt to increase the likelihood of his son's admittance to Penn, according to the Association's release.

Though unnamed in the release, the ex-coach in question is almost certainly Jerome Allen, who coached at Penn from 2009-15. Allen testified in March 2019 as a government witness in Miami federal court that he accepted money from healthcare executive Philip Esformes between 2013 and 2015.

"I got his son into Penn; I got his son into Wharton," Allen said at the time, according to the Miami Herald's Jay Weaver. "None of that would have happened without me."

Allen's 15-year show-cause order means "any NCAA member school employing him must restrict him from any athletically related duties unless it shows cause why the restrictions should not apply."

Should Allen be hired as a coach in the year following the completion of his show-cause penalty, the hiring school must also suspend him for the first 50% of the season.

The 47-year-old is presently an assistant coach on Brad Stevens' staff with the Boston Celtics.

Penn's men's basketball program is facing discipline of its own, though it's relatively minor compared to Allen's. The Quakers' current staff will be banned from men's basketball recruiting communications from May 10-20 and May 31-June 10 this year. The team must also pay a $5,000 fine and will be under probation for two years.

cutz said:
    NCAA sure came down hard:

https://www.thescore.com/ncaab/news/1954069

Former Penn coach Allen gets 15-year show-cause penalty for accepting bribe
    2h ago
    Matthew Holst / Getty Images Sport / Getty
    IOWA CITY IA - NOVEMBER 22 Head coach Jerome Allen of the Pennsylvania Quakers during the first half against the Iowa Hawkeyes on November 22 2013 at Carver-Hawkeye Arena in Iowa City Iowa

A former Pennsylvania men's basketball coach has been handed a 15-year show-cause penalty stemming from major ethical conduct violations, the NCAA announced Wednesday.

The punishment comes after the father of a prospective recruit gave the coach at least $250,000 in an attempt to increase the likelihood of his son's admittance to Penn, according to the Association's release.

Though unnamed in the release, the ex-coach in question is almost certainly Jerome Allen, who coached at Penn from 2009-15. Allen testified in March 2019 as a government witness in Miami federal court that he accepted money from healthcare executive Philip Esformes between 2013 and 2015.

"I got his son into Penn; I got his son into Wharton," Allen said at the time, according to the Miami Herald's Jay Weaver. "None of that would have happened without me."

Allen's 15-year show-cause order means "any NCAA member school employing him must restrict him from any athletically related duties unless it shows cause why the restrictions should not apply."

Should Allen be hired as a coach in the year following the completion of his show-cause penalty, the hiring school must also suspend him for the first 50% of the season.

The 47-year-old is presently an assistant coach on Brad Stevens' staff with the Boston Celtics.

Penn's men's basketball program is facing discipline of its own, though it's relatively minor compared to Allen's. The Quakers' current staff will be banned from men's basketball recruiting communications from May 10-20 and May 31-June 10 this year. The team must also pay a $5,000 fine and will be under probation for two years.

Crazy harsh.  Dave bliss you tried to cover up a murder only got ten year show clause. Guys whose assistants went to jail for bribery still have jobs. 15 years wow
    Jahmir Brickus from Coatsville HS has committed to LaSalle.

I saw him last season and he's a nice get for LaSalle. He's only 5' 11" but really strong. He can score well. 
    cutz said:
    Yeah he’s not ready yet 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    cutz said:
    Yeah he’s not ready yet 
    If Bey comes back they are going to be stacked. Rothstein has them in his top 5 at the moment. One more big year and jay to the sixers. 

Excited about my hawks moving forward too. 
    pjhawks said:
    cutz said:
    Yeah he’s not ready yet 
    If Bey comes back they are going to be stacked. Rothstein has them in his top 5 at the moment. One more big year and jay to the sixers. 

Gee, I have been hearing Jay to the Sixers for almost 20 years now. Love it...

I think Bey is leaving, unfortunately. Hope I'm wrong...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    pjhawks said:
    cutz said:
    Yeah he’s not ready yet 

how soon some forget.  20 years really? nova fans were about to run him out of town before Scottie Reynolds sent him to the Final 4.
    pjhawks said:
    cutz said:
    Yeah he’s not ready yet 

Bey is probably gone, but if he does stay? Might be a National Title contender? 
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    cutz said:
    Yeah he’s not ready yet 

how soon some forget.  20 years really? nova fans were about to run him out of town before Scottie Reynolds sent him to the Final 4.
    Yeah not me. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    cutz said:
    pjhawks said:
    cutz said:
    Yeah he’s not ready yet 

Bey is probably gone, but if he does stay? Might be a National Title contender? 
    Par for the course, my good man!
    chinese-happy.jpg

https://www.vuhoops.com/platform/amp/2020/4/19/21227286/villanova-basketball-recruiting-2021-nnanna-njoku-commitment?utm_campaign=vuhoops&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Nnanna Njoku commits to Villanova!

The Top-100 forward kicked off Villanova’s 2021 class on Sunday evening.

Top-100 forward Nnanna Njoku announced his verbal commitment to the Villanova Wildcats on Sunday evening He announced the decision via Twitter.

Njoku attends Sanford School (Del.), the same school that produced former Wildcat forward Will Sheridan. He also plays for Philadelphia-based Team Final on the Nike EYBL circuit, a frequent pipeline for Villanova. Njoku checks in at 6’9” and 245 lbs. He’s currently ranked 86th nationally in the 247Sports Composite rankings.

With Dhamir Cosby-Roundtree entering his senior season and Jeremiah Robinson-Earl a potential early entrant to the NBA following next season, forward was a huge position of need. Wright went out and got his #1 target at the position, and early in the recruiting cycle at that.

Njoku has the body type that should allow him to help right away if needed once he gets to the Main Line. He’s reportedly has a decent jump shot as well, something that is crucial to Villanova’s offensive system.

Njoku is the first verbal of the 2021 recruiting class for Villanova. Villanova will turn their focus to the backcourt and the wing where they are chasing Trey PattersonJordan LonginoAngelo Brizzi and others.

^^^I've only seen him play one time^^^
    cutz said:
    What's the verdict?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364

Men's Basketball | April 15, 2020

Story Links

PHILADELPHIA - La Salle University head men's basketball coach Ashley Howard has announced the signing of Jhamir Brickus (Coatesville, Pa.) and Tegra Izay (Montreal, Quebec, Canada) to National Letters of Intent on Wednesday. The two spring signees join Anwar Gill (Washington, D.C.) as members of the Class of 2020.

One of the top scorers in the state of Pennsylvania, the 5-11 Brickus registered 2,531 career points for Coatesville Area High School. As a junior, he scored 40 points in a game against Avon Grove to surpass former NBA All-Star and UConn All-American Richard Hamilton. This past season, Brickus averaged 23.1 points per game and bettered John Allen (Seton Hall) to became Coatesville Area's all-time leading scorer.

This past year, Coatesville Area went 20-8 record, tying West Chester East for first place in the Ches-Mont League National Division during the regular season. In his final high school game, Brickus scored 26 points in his final game, a 81-75 loss to Roman Catholic on March 7 in the first round of the PIAA Class 6A tournament.

Izay is a 6-10 center who played high school basketball for Archbishop Carroll in Washington, D.C. As a senior, he averaged 12 points, 10 rebounds and five blocked shots per game for the Lions. 

Rated a three-star recruit by Rivals.com, Izay posted 11 points, 14 rebounds and six blocked shots against Bishop McNamara during the 2019-20 season and also had a standout game in a victory over St. Mary's Ryken (16 points, 15 rebounds, six blocks).

La Salle posted 15 victories during the 2019-20 season, a five-win improvement over the prior season, and closed out the campaign with wins over St. Bonaventure and rival Saint Joseph's before the Atlantic 10 Tournament was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    cutz said:
    What's the verdict?
    Based on one game?(Which ins't fair)>HAHAHA

In the game I saw him play he didn't do shit. He couldn't handle the player on the other team.  6' 11" Cliff Omoruyi for Roselle Cath .NJ who's going to Rutgers) outplayed him. Njoku only had 2 pt.s(1-1) & 5 Reb.s.  Cliff Omoruyi had 16 pt.s(7-11) & 7 Reb.s 3 Blk.s 5 Dunks. Omoruyi is raw offensively too. Njoku was in early foul trouble so he didn't get the minutes he probably plays normally. 

I do like he's built like a 25 year old man and moves well.

My friend has seen Njoku play a lot and says he's good. I haven't talked to him since he committed to Nova to get his opinion. 

MAYBE I'll see him some next year. I HOPE to anyway.
    JK_Livin said:

Story Links

PHILADELPHIA - La Salle University head men's basketball coach Ashley Howard has announced the signing of Jhamir Brickus (Coatesville, Pa.) and Tegra Izay (Montreal, Quebec, Canada) to National Letters of Intent on Wednesday. The two spring signees join Anwar Gill (Washington, D.C.) as members of the Class of 2020.

One of the top scorers in the state of Pennsylvania, the 5-11 Brickus registered 2,531 career points for Coatesville Area High School. As a junior, he scored 40 points in a game against Avon Grove to surpass former NBA All-Star and UConn All-American Richard Hamilton. This past season, Brickus averaged 23.1 points per game and bettered John Allen (Seton Hall) to became Coatesville Area's all-time leading scorer.

This past year, Coatesville Area went 20-8 record, tying West Chester East for first place in the Ches-Mont League National Division during the regular season. In his final high school game, Brickus scored 26 points in his final game, a 81-75 loss to Roman Catholic on March 7 in the first round of the PIAA Class 6A tournament.

Izay is a 6-10 center who played high school basketball for Archbishop Carroll in Washington, D.C. As a senior, he averaged 12 points, 10 rebounds and five blocked shots per game for the Lions. 

Rated a three-star recruit by Rivals.com, Izay posted 11 points, 14 rebounds and six blocked shots against Bishop McNamara during the 2019-20 season and also had a standout game in a victory over St. Mary's Ryken (16 points, 15 rebounds, six blocks).

La Salle posted 15 victories during the 2019-20 season, a five-win improvement over the prior season, and closed out the campaign with wins over St. Bonaventure and rival Saint Joseph's before the Atlantic 10 Tournament was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Brickus is a tough Dude who can score(Obviously). I think that should be good for both him & LaSalle.

I never saw Izay play.
    JK_Livin said:

Story Links

Brickus is a good get for La Salle. they have some nice young guards now.  I liked their two young guys this year.  
    JK_Livin said:

Story Links

Do you remember the LaSalle screamer?  story about him in Inquirer today.  he has passed away.  Remember him trying to get the LaSalle fans fired up. Remember a lot from the Convention Center days.  
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    I remember him well. Did not know him but I recall him back to the Palestra days. RIP. 
    There was always a break in the second half in which the PA announcer would let him do his chant.
    "we fight hard.
    we fight well.
    when we fight,
    we fight like 
    L
    A
    S
    A
    L
    L
    E
    Here we go Explorers, here we go. clap clap

Then the band would start playing to his cadence.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    No surprise.

https://www.thescore.com/ncaab/news/1976425

Villanova's Saddiq Bey staying in 2020 NBA Draft
    7h ago
    Michael Hickey / Getty Images Sport / Getty
    CINCINNATI OH - FEBRUARY 22 Saddiq Bey 41 of the Villanova Wildcats is seen during the game against the Xavier Musketeers at Cintas Center on February 22 2020 in Cincinnati Ohio

Villanova forward Saddiq Bey has decided to sign with Excel Sports Management and remain in the 2020 NBA Draft, he told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

"Over the last two years, I have grown as a player, student, and man thanks to my coaching staff, teammates, and professors," Bey said. "Villanova has the greatest fans in the world and I will miss playing in front of them next year. I will always be a Wildcat. I am really excited to start the pursuit of my NBA career."

Bey earned a unanimous All-Big East selection as a sophomore after averaging a team-high 16.1 points on 45.1% shooting from long range, along with 4.7 rebounds. The potential lottery pick projects as a strong 3-and-D player at the next level.

The Maryland native first announced his intention to test the NBA draft waters in early April.

With Bey as their leading scorer, Villanova finished atop the Big East this season and ranked 10th in the nation with a 24-7 record.

cutz said:
    No surprise.

https://www.thescore.com/ncaab/news/1976425

Villanova's Saddiq Bey staying in 2020 NBA Draft
    7h ago
    Michael Hickey / Getty Images Sport / Getty
    CINCINNATI OH - FEBRUARY 22 Saddiq Bey 41 of the Villanova Wildcats is seen during the game against the Xavier Musketeers at Cintas Center on February 22 2020 in Cincinnati Ohio

Villanova forward Saddiq Bey has decided to sign with Excel Sports Management and remain in the 2020 NBA Draft, he told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

"Over the last two years, I have grown as a player, student, and man thanks to my coaching staff, teammates, and professors," Bey said. "Villanova has the greatest fans in the world and I will miss playing in front of them next year. I will always be a Wildcat. I am really excited to start the pursuit of my NBA career."

Bey earned a unanimous All-Big East selection as a sophomore after averaging a team-high 16.1 points on 45.1% shooting from long range, along with 4.7 rebounds. The potential lottery pick projects as a strong 3-and-D player at the next level.

The Maryland native first announced his intention to test the NBA draft waters in early April.

With Bey as their leading scorer, Villanova finished atop the Big East this season and ranked 10th in the nation with a 24-7 record.

his head had grown too. my god his noggin is huge.  Not sure his shot is good enough to be a star but should be a solid NBA player.

if the transfer from Tulane is really good Nova should still be great.