Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    MF117973 said:
    rgambs said:
    MF117973 said:
    No...ankle pain isn't fun either!

Like you said, exercise is such an amazing mood stabilizer.  I am so happy and grateful for this one daily escape.. Especially right now!

Good job laying off the ankle and just be careful running. Especially if you have gone from 2-3 times a week to much more in a short time frame. Listen to your body and  lay off when you need to. I wish I had listened to my foot pain earlier and not tried to just run through it! 

Agreed. The endorphins help tremendously. I have learned my lesson about not taking time off to let an injury heal. I have also had to make the switch from running primarily on a treadmill at the gym to running out on the streets. So far so good in terms of no pain - but I can feel the difference. I am trying to adjust my stride a bit. The good thing is that I have been listening to Gigaton while running. YEAHH!!!

The first 4 are just damn perfect for a 2-2.5 mile run!
    My 3.5 mile run usually takes me up to Comes Then Goes. I am starting to associate my distance by what song is on ;)

Very nice! 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    edited April 2020
    rgambs said:
    MF117973 said:

Like you said, exercise is such an amazing mood stabilizer.  I am so happy and grateful for this one daily escape.. Especially right now!

Good job laying off the ankle and just be careful running. Especially if you have gone from 2-3 times a week to much more in a short time frame. Listen to your body and  lay off when you need to. I wish I had listened to my foot pain earlier and not tried to just run through it! 

Agreed. The endorphins help tremendously. I have learned my lesson about not taking time off to let an injury heal. I have also had to make the switch from running primarily on a treadmill at the gym to running out on the streets. So far so good in terms of no pain - but I can feel the difference. I am trying to adjust my stride a bit. The good thing is that I have been listening to Gigaton while running. YEAHH!!!

That sounds about right. I have the Nike Run App that lets me know when I hit every 1/2 mile. I usually get my mile notification somewhere during the  first 1/2 of DOTC. 

Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    MF117973 said:
    rgambs said:
    MF117973 said:

That sounds about right. I have the Nike Run App that lets me know when I hit every 1/2 mile. I usually get my mile notification somewhere during the during the first 1/2 of DOTC. 

I do 8-9 minute miles, but I don't track it with an app, I just run and it always ends up around 8:20-8:40 lol. It's metronomic when I step to the music, but my speed is naturally pretty consistent even when I go without music.
    After Quick Escape I usually move to something else to finish up the last mile or so.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:
    MF117973 said:
    rgambs said:
    MF117973 said:

That sounds about right. I have the Nike Run App that lets me know when I hit every 1/2 mile. I usually get my mile notification somewhere during the during the first 1/2 of DOTC. 

I do 8-9 minute miles, but I don't track it with an app, I just run and it always ends up around 8:20-8:40 lol. It's metronomic when I step to the music, but my speed is naturally pretty consistent even when I go without music.
    After Quick Escape I usually move to something else to finish up the last mile or so.
    You are much faster than I am. My average is about a 10 minute mile more or less (usually a tiny bit more). I don't think I could run without music. It is what keeps me going. I could be plodding along and a certain song comes on that gives me a burst of energy.

MF117973 said:
    rgambs said:
    MF117973 said:
    rgambs said:
    MF117973 said:

You are much faster than I am. My average is about a 10 minute mile more or less (usually a tiny bit more). I don't think I could run without music. It is what keeps me going. I could be plodding along and a certain song comes on that gives me a burst of energy.

Music really helps!  In the gym, on the treadmill, I can string together 3 under 8:00 minutes avg...but that's treadmill+music+trying to look good in front of the people who aren't even paying attention to how fast I am lol
    At the lake where I run, I have the dogs and the weather to contend with, and the sunrise...my pace over 3-3.5 miles drops to 10:00
    I'm finally starting to get the hang of resistance bands.  In general, they suck, but I'm finding out what works, no thanks to the "experts" on the internet.  Everyone shows positions to use them, but nobody addresses the stupid strength curve that makes half the movements too easy at the beginning of the movement and then too hard at the end.  
    My solution is to use them "21" style.  Like the old classic preacher curl set, where you do 7 mini reps each at the bottom range, mid range, and top range of the curl, I do 10 reps each through partial range of motion with the band stretched at the appropriate level for the position.
    I'm annoyed at the necessity of such innovation, but I'm actually getting a better lat stretch and pump than cables at the gym gave me when doing straight arm pulldowns and various rows.
    rgambs said:
    I'm finally starting to get the hang of resistance bands.  In general, they suck, but I'm finding out what works, no thanks to the "experts" on the internet.  Everyone shows positions to use them, but nobody addresses the stupid strength curve that makes half the movements too easy at the beginning of the movement and then too hard at the end.  
    My solution is to use them "21" style.  Like the old classic preacher curl set, where you do 7 mini reps each at the bottom range, mid range, and top range of the curl, I do 10 reps each through partial range of motion with the band stretched at the appropriate level for the position.
    I'm annoyed at the necessity of such innovation, but I'm actually getting a better lat stretch and pump than cables at the gym gave me when doing straight arm pulldowns and various rows.
    I ended up buying dumbbells on Amazon to make up for the gym. But it really only provides 1/2 my workout since I also use some of the machines. I was thinking about getting some resistance bands. Thanks for the advice.
    I had my first run with a mask on - not enjoyable at all. Whenever I saw some stretches of path without people on it I had to lift that baby up to get some fresh air. It definitely slowed me down.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    Because I have a pre-existing condition I don't go outside (except to grocery shop). I do a wee bit of yoga/pilates, but I'm on the path to becoming a blob. I look forward to when I feel safe enough to walk and walk and walk and maybe do a wee bit of running.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    I feel bad for you guys, I run every day and haven't seen a soul yet.  I actually miss seeing people at the gym lol
    rgambs said:
    I feel bad for you guys, I run every day and haven't seen a soul yet.  I actually miss seeing people at the gym lol
    Lucky you. I am running at least 3x a week. But definitely can’t a find a truly empty place to run in NYC. Today was chilly and I went a bit earlier than usual so there were long stretches without having to pass too close to people. I know when the weather gets nice it will be harder to find those empty stretches. Also will be having to compete with bikers and walkers for space. Hopefully, I will get more used to running with a mask on. 
    I miss my exercise classes... yoga, barre, zumba. Has anyone found any good, free exercise classes to stream? 
    If I had a proper internet connection I would say let's all Zoom a workout session together but I don't, so I can't.
    Ha ha, now there's an idea. That could be so much fun, I'd be game! :triumph: 
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I miss my climbing :angry:

Still cycling almost every day to and from work but not being able to climb just blows. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    Not being able to go to the gym has been frustrating. Trying to do what I can from home.

Yep.  I had really gotten back into the past 3-4 months before everything closed down.  Was going 3-4 times per week and dropped 20 lbs.  I can't believe how much I miss swimming laps right now!  I have a decent exercise bike and some bands at home but it's just not the same.  And really not much time to even do that stuff with a 3 year old  and 1 year old roaming around here all day now.  Try to at least take the dog for a long walk everyday to get out there and do something.  
    Not being able to go to the gym has been frustrating. Trying to do what I can from home.

Yep.  I had really gotten back into the past 3-4 months before everything closed down.  Was going 3-4 times per week and dropped 20 lbs.  I can't believe how much I miss swimming laps right now!  I have a decent exercise bike and some bands at home but it's just not the same.  And really not much time to even do that stuff with a 3 year old  and 1 year old roaming around here all day now.  Try to at least take the dog for a long walk everyday to get out there and do something.  
    I've had some success in convincing my 5 year old son that I am training to be a ninja.
    He joins me sometimes, and other times he lets me do my thing because training is important lol
    I have also had success getting him involved (and thereby off my case) by having him climb on my back for push-ups, squats, and pull ups lol

I made a graph of my spring cut with all my extra Covid-time.  I like graphs, and I've been enjoying having it on the wall, when I do abs I'm looking right up at it.
    A handful of times when I have felt very hungry I've gone to look at it instead of eating.
    My climbing gym opened this week in a very different format. Members only, no drop-ins, pre-booked climbing spots of three hours with the request that climbers stagger their arrival and departure times, very limited numbers (there were fewer than 20 people in the whole gym, both levels, while I was there, staff included), mask required at all times, keep 2m distance from others at all times. 

So, an odd experience, not helped by how much upper body strength I've lost in the last three months :lol:. During covid times I've kept up with the cycling and may have actually increased it a bit, and have added running, but I don't have weights at home and no gyms were available. 

We shall see what comes of this. 
    Today I did a 5 mile run for the first time. I know that isn’t a lot for some of you but it was my furthest run ever. I usually do 4 miles but am trying to work my way up to a 10k. My speed was 10:02 minutes per mile. I want to try to get it down to under 10 minutes per mile if I can. So, off I go!!
    MF117973 said:
    Today I did a 5 mile run for the first time. I know that isn’t a lot for some of you but it was my furthest run ever. I usually do 4 miles but am trying to work my way up to a 10k. My speed was 10:02 minutes per mile. I want to try to get it down to under 10 minutes per mile if I can. So, off I go!!
    That's great! 10 minutes is tough over a 5 mile span.
    You won't be a competitive "runner" with that, but it's better than something like 99% of the population lol
    I missed my June 1st goal of 160lbs.  Oh well, I cracked down into the 161.__ range today, so it won't be long.  I'm hoping for 155 by July 4th, but anything south of 160 leaves me happy.
    rgambs said:
    MF117973 said:
    That's great! 10 minutes is tough over a 5 mile span.
    You won't be a competitive "runner" with that, but it's better than something like 99% of the population lol
    Thanks. Definitely not ever going to be a competitive runner. But if I can challenge myself to finish a 10k I will be happy no matter my pace. You are right that it is hard to maintain that speed. I definitely slowed down in the second half of that run. I think since I am not running competitively I should focus more on distance rather than speed. I am trying to learn to pace myself better so I don’t use up so much energy in the beginning. But I am finding it hard. I have to remind myself to slow down a bit. 
    rgambs said:
    I missed my June 1st goal of 160lbs.  Oh well, I cracked down into the 161.__ range today, so it won't be long.  I'm hoping for 155 by July 4th, but anything south of 160 leaves me happy.
    You are so close. You will get there in no time 👍👍
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I wish I were a runner. Tits (when I had ‘em) and an arthritic back have nixed that. 

Good on all of you for keeping on. I’ve been diligent with a 30-minute workout every day, but can’t wait till our gym reopens. 
    MF117973 said:
    5 miles is 8 km so you’re almost at your 10k goal! Keep at it - you’ll be there soon. 
    edited June 2020
    hedonist said:
    I wish I were a runner. Tits (when I had ‘em) and an arthritic back have nixed that. 

Good on all of you for keeping on. I’ve been diligent with a 30-minute workout every day, but can’t wait till our gym reopens. 
    I know. I have been actually doing better with my running without the gym. I am really loving running outside after 1.5 years of mainly treadmill running. But I have been slacking off on my weight training without the gym. I used to do weights a few times a week and also take a barre class with resistance bands once a week. I bought some dumbbells when the gym closed but I am lucky if I pull them out twice a week. I feel like I am going to lose all that progress. I think in NYC gyms are in phase 4. We are only starting phase 1 on Monday so it will be a while. 
    So, my building's gym won't be reopening for quite awhile (Phase 4?) since the required ventilation isn't in place.  Therefore, I've just purchased some adjustable ankle/wrist weights.

Anyone here ever use them?  I got them so I can eventually go up to four pounds per unit, but I'm not sure how long I should stick with one weight before adding another half-pound.

Any suggestions are welcomed.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    I would practice basketball as a kid wearing ankle weights. I thought it would help me gain speed running and jump higher. Unfortunately, I have no uppus jumpus, so they didn't really help. This was 25+ years ago, so no real help to you.

I would say that you increase the weight when you feel like you could do more for whatever you're doing. If it's a rep based activity, add weight when you could do 3-5 more reps. If it's a time based activity, add weight when you could go 10-15% longer (that's what she said :giggle: )
    Ah, but the second paragraph IS helpful and makes sense.  Thank you!