******** YOUR PHILADELPHIA EAGLES ********

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    Brings tears to the eyes. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Great article about by buddy who passed away at The Linc a few months back...

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/philadelphia-eagles-fan-dies-patriots-game-emt-response-20200210.html
    shit, you knew that guy? Sorry for your loss. Can't read it right now. I've reached my monthly limit.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Poncier said:

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/philadelphia-eagles-fan-dies-patriots-game-emt-response-20200210.html
    The video of his wife talking about how she told their son the next day is heartbreaking.

Telling someone that someone else passed away is extremely difficult. I had to tell my sister on the west coast about our dad. 
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    JK_Livin said:
    Poncier said:

The video of his wife talking about how she told their son the next day is heartbreaking.

Telling someone that someone else passed away is extremely difficult. I had to tell my sister on the west coast about our dad. 
    It's fucking haunting. I had to call my sister to tell her surgery didn't go well and she needed to get there as soon as possible and that was hard enough.  
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    JK_Livin said:
    Poncier said:

It's fucking haunting. I had to call my sister to tell her surgery didn't go well and she needed to get there as soon as possible and that was hard enough.  

When my older brother called to tell me about our father, I knew. I was booked to fly home the following morning...remember it like it was yesterday.  My wife and I had our standing Friday sushi bar reservation at 7:30, we were talking about the next day's travel plans, and my phone rang at 630.  Saw it was #thebrother.
    I picked it up and asked him if he (my brother) was OK with how it ended. 
    He didn't say anything, but I could hear him, for about a minute.  We exchanged a few words and hung up.

Life is amazing.  And, shitty.  And, beautiful.  And, agonizingly short. 

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    JK_Livin said:
    Poncier said:

When my older brother called to tell me about our father, I knew. I was booked to fly home the following morning...remember it like it was yesterday.  My wife and I had our standing Friday sushi bar reservation at 7:30, we were talking about the next day's travel plans, and my phone rang at 630.  Saw it was #thebrother.
    I picked it up and asked him if he (my brother) was OK with how it ended. 
    He didn't say anything, but I could hear him, for about a minute.  We exchanged a few words and hung up.

Life is amazing.  And, shitty.  And, beautiful.  And, agonizingly short. 

Jesus, man. That got to me. Yeah. Same kind of thing with my sister.

Hear, fucking, hear.
    My wife asked me if I wanted to stay home.  I told her 'hell no' and that taking refuge in the comfort of our Friday routine was what I wanted.
    At some point in the night she told our sushi chef (who, after years of this Friday night appointment, was a friend) the news.  It was pretty emotional when he realized I wanted to spend dinner with him taking care of us after this happened.  Only time I ever saw the guy have an emotion beyond a quick smile at that point. 
    Later, after we moved back east and we would go and visit him on returns to CA, he would give a hug, which for him was like dancing a jig when he saw us.
    :lol:

We drank a bunch that night -- I ended by finishing a bottle of Kakushigura sitting at that bar, and my wife and I asked for a marker and wrote messages to my dad on the bottle.  Have it on a shelf in my office and take it down periodically to smile and read what we wrote.

Juggs, I hope you and your buddies can celebrate your friend this year, and all years moving forward.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Sorry for your loss, @The Juggler, that is heartbreaking.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    JK_Livin said:
    Poncier said:

Yep, have had to do it more than I care to. Had to tell my wife about both her parents (her GD sister texted me when their Mom passed and I had to wake up my wife and break the news)
    Then there was the time I had to tell my son who was 6 at the time about my mother's passing. I said "you know how old Nana is...you know what sometimes happens to people when they get old?" His response was "They fall down?"
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Jason Peters to be a free agent.   small chance he could come back but most likely his tenure here is over.  Probably the 2nd best Eagle in my lifetime behind Reggie White.  1st ballot Hall of Famer.  Will be missed although I think the timing is right to move on.
    Love the signing. That DT rotation is amazing, granted Jackson can stay on the field.

I gotta think if the Birds offered Ertz straight up for Hopkins they'd do it over that deal.

In related Hunter Hurst news - trade Ertz yesterday.
    Love the signing. That DT rotation is amazing, granted Jackson can stay on the field.

I gotta think if the Birds offered Ertz straight up for Hopkins they'd do it over that deal.

In related Hunter Hurst news - trade Ertz yesterday.

I like the signing but like them not signing Byron Jones more.  he is not worth $17 million. still need corners but can't overpay for one either.

I don't get the rush to trade Ertz but obviously big decision has to be made in the next year on him and Goeddert

In related news how the heck are the Cowboys going to field a team when Dak,  Zeke and Cooper are gonna make all their money?
    Whoa - looks like they're going with Mills and (presumably) McLeod in the back.
    edited March 2020
    So the picks don't bother me much here, but the money. Yeesh. If you expect Slay to pay off I would think you'd want to get 3 years out of him, which means he earns $16.67M/year. So the question is would you rather have Jenkins at safety, and have spent on someone else at corner. Or move Mills to safety and Slay at that price? I don't know about all that.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    I'm good with them moving on from Jenkins maybe a year early than a year or two late. Wouldn't be surprised if his production falls of a cliff next season. Maybe Mills will be better at safety but he's got a habit of getting turned around and burned....not exactly what you want in a safety! Always is hurt too. 

Slay might've been considered the best cb if he was a free agent and he's got experience in Schwartz's system so I like getting him. Lot of money. And t least they didn't give them a 2nd rounder?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I love Bo Wulf and Sheil Kapadia. I think this better sums up my thoughts, good stuff:

"The Eagles have acquired cornerback Darius Slay in a trade with the Detroit Lions. In return, Detroit reportedly received Philadelphia’s third-round pick (No. 85 overall) and fifth-round pick (No. 166) in this year’s draft. Slay also signed a three-year extension with the Eagles through 2023. The new $50 million deal includes $30 million guaranteed, according to Slay’s agent, Drew Rosenhaus. Did the Eagles finally land a shutdown starting cornerback? Did they pay too high of a price? Our Eagles writers weigh in.

Sheil Kapadia: I understand Eagles fans want to be excited right now. They want to talk themselves into thinking Slay is going to be a lockdown corner for the next three or four years, give the defense a boost and get the team back to the Super Bowl. If that’s where your head’s at, I get it, and you probably should stop reading here.

But the truth is I am thoroughly confused about what the organization is doing this offseason. Everyone knew the Eagles needed cornerback help, and Slay is a three-time Pro Bowler. But he’s also 29 years old. General manager Howie Roseman preached after the season that getting younger was a priority. Every team is going to have a mix of younger players and veterans. But the Eagles just gave Slay a three-year extension and made him the highest-paid corner in the NFL for his age-30, -31 and -32 seasons.

So what were the alternatives? The Eagles are paying Slay more than the Dolphins paid Byron Jones. Maybe Jones just wanted to play in Miami. But would the Eagles have been better off going up to $17 million or $17.5 million per season for Jones without giving up any draft compensation or paying Slay $16.7 million while giving away two picks? Slay has been the better player but Jones is two years younger. Jones also has a higher floor, given that he can play safety if his corner skills deteriorate. In my opinion, the Jones scenario would be the preferred option.

And then we can look at the big picture in terms of team-building. The Eagles’ best chance for sustained success is to build a dynamic, efficient passing game. But so far, their two big “splash” moves have been to sign defensive tackle Javon Hargrave for $13 million per year and trade for Slay (again, at $16.7 million per year). They reportedly backed out of trade talks for DeAndre Hopkins, in part because he wanted a new deal. Hopkins would have cost more than Slay in both compensation and salary. He also would have had a much bigger impact in terms of getting the Eagles back to the Super Bowl.

Slay has been a really good player, but it’s highly unlikely the Eagles are getting the best phase of his career. Cornerback performance is not sticky year over year — especially when a player reaches Slay’s age. Xavier Rhodes and A.J. Bouye were All-Pros in 2017. Rhodes was released this offseason, and Bouye was traded for a fourth-round pick.

Maybe this move works out and Slay’s skill set allows him to play at a high level late into his career. Perhaps the Eagles do such a good job in the draft that they don’t have to worry as much about pick volume. And it’s possible they have another plan for getting Carson Wentz weapons to maximize the prime of his career and avoid a repeat of last season. But for now, I’m skeptical.

Grade (on a scale of food currently in your house): Leftover enchiladas. It’s lunchtime, you haven’t eaten all day, and you spot them in the back of the fridge. They’re from a few days ago so you’re not 100 percent sure that they’re still good. You told yourself you were going to eat something healthy, but you can’t resist. You heat them up, feast and get instant gratification. But as you digest them, you don’t feel so great, and eventually, you wonder what you were thinking. The worst part of all: You’ve been making the same mistake for years and never seem to learn from it.

Darius Slay has 19 career INTs. He led the league with eight in 2017. (Rick Osentoski / Associated Press)

Zach Berman: The Eagles are much better on defense than they were when you went to bed last night. Start there, because for all the appropriate discussion about resources, age and value, it cannot be overstated that the Eagles needed help at cornerback and they improved at cornerback. Slay is the best cornerback they’ll field during defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz’s time in Philadelphia. (He’s better than anyone from the Bill Davis defenses, too.) He has a track record of quality play and should fit the scheme and personality type that Schwartz desires. There’s regression concern, but there’s also evidence of top-caliber coverage and ball skills (19 career interceptions, including a league-leading eight picks in 2017). He makes the Eagles better.

Now, let’s look at the team-building questions. The Eagles want to get younger and maintain volume in the draft. They acquired a 29-year-old cornerback entering his eighth season, and they sacrificed two draft picks while giving him a lucrative three-year extension. This is a good time to stay at home, but even under normal circumstances, this move is not a reason to have a parade down Broad Street. This was not the best-case scenario for the Eagles, and it shouldn’t be portrayed as such. The Eagles wanted Jones and didn’t sign him. So this is a recovery play more than anything else.

Slay is a proven player who is better than anyone they could’ve signed after missing out on Jones. Is that going to be the case in Year 2 or 3? It depends how, or if, the regression curve catches up to Slay. The picks shouldn’t be deal-breakers. They’re valuable, sure, and the Eagles now have eight picks instead of 10. If they want more volume, they can find a trade-back scenario or deal a player. They likely won’t get the pick quality of the third-rounder they relinquished, but that’s better than the initial reports of needing to surrender their second-round pick.

One cannot isolate the age, contract and pick compensation from an evaluation of a trade, because such variables are relevant when building a team. But it’s also important to recognize that Slay, now their best cornerback, is able to step into their No. 1 spot better than any player during the past few seasons and takes the burden off their other cornerbacks. I’d still argue the Eagles should’ve just paid more for Jones if this is what they were willing to allocate to the position, while also pointing out they improved the team.

Grade: Fresh fruit. It’s a high-quality product until it starts to spoil, so you need to get use out of it now. It can be expensive and the best ones are hard to find, but you know it’s good for you and appreciate it when you have it. However, if you need to throw it away early and don’t get good use out of it, you’ll rue the idea and wonder if you should’ve just gotten by with something else.

Bo Wulf: The Eagles’ trade for Slay lays bare a series of contradicting decisions and reveals they had no plan after all.

First, on the player: Slay is good, and the Eagles are and were desperate for help at cornerback. But he is 29 and declining at a position where a small erosion of skills can make a huge difference. To surrender a third- and fifth-round pick and then sign him to what is reportedly the highest-paid deal for a cornerback is precisely the kind of myopic move made by the worst teams in the league. If they were so desperate to add a high-end corner, they should have offered Jones more money. If they were willing to trade for and extend a difference-maker, they should have topped the Cardinals’ offer for Hopkins, a younger, better player at a position of greater need and importance. If they were willing to import a player openly desperate to be traded, they should have made a better offer for Stefon Diggs.

The Slay deal directly contradicts two recent public edicts by Roseman and owner Jeffrey Lurie. In January, Roseman declared the team needed to get younger, which paved the way for the release of 32-year-old Malcolm Jenkins. But now two of the four starting spots in the secondary will be filled by a pair of 29-year-olds in Slay and Rodney McLeod. If the Eagles had simply re-signed Jenkins and filled the other two spots differently, they’d be old at only one position instead of two.

Last March, Lurie declared the Eagles’ interest in accumulating draft volume.

“We believe in volume,” he said. “We’re not cocky enough to feel that you’re going to draft way better than anybody else, and it’s very important to create volume.”

At the time, the Eagles had nine picks in their 2019 NFL Draft coffer. They ended up with only five, giving them a total of just 10 picks in a two-year span. This year looked more promising, with 10 total picks in their holster. Now, it’s only eight, with just two picks in the first 100. Meanwhile, the most glaring hole on the roster still isn’t addressed and now the Eagles have less ammunition to move up in the first round if a wide receiver they covet surprisingly falls. They still have a long list of long-term needs, including wide receiver, interior offensive line, defensive end, safety and (guess what?) cornerback. It takes patience to rebuild the youth of a roster and it turns out the Eagles have none.

Draft performance, by the way, is at the root of this rotten trade. It’s an overpay to compound the misevaluations of Sidney Jones and Rasul Douglas in the second and third rounds, respectively, in 2017.

As an aside, it’s also important to view the Jenkins release and Slay deal together through the prism of Jeff McLane’s story in The Philadelphia Inquirer in November about the outsized role in personnel for Schwartz, who drafted Slay in Detroit.

For Roseman, the moves this offseason have brought back memories of the ghosts of Eagles disaster pasts. The corollary between Jenkins and the release of Brian Dawkins is obvious. Slay brings to mind the celebrated 2011 signing of another cornerback coming off three straight Pro Bowl seasons, Nnamdi Asomugha, who was 30 that year to Slay’s 29. If the Eagles draft a 28-year-old interior offensive lineman in the first round of the draft, we’ll know the whole offseason was an elaborate trolling of the fan base by the team’s general manager in perpetuity.

Grade: Last night, I planned on making something healthy from scratch, but after a long day, I was too hungry and tired to put the time in so I grabbed my son’s leftover beans, put them on a tortilla with cheese and made a quick quesadilla. I might just keep doing it night after night if no one’s gonna call me on it.

• jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Good to see this thread is still going, hope everyone has been good and stays safe. Go Birds
    Go Birds!!!!
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    how are the degenerate gamblers holding up, with nothing to bet on?

not singling out anyone in particular... :wink:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    Nelson agolor to the raiders, woo-hoo!

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Hahaha 
    I'm forever a Nellie fan but I understand you being happy to see him out.  
    That interview last year with the fire hero calling Nellie out on the news was amazing / classic Philly shit

chinese-happy.jpg

chinese-happy.jpg
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    going old school there

Also hate to say this but might want to change Last entertaining super bowl champs. The KC/SF game was pretty entertaining IMO.

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    going old school there

Also hate to say this but might want to change Last entertaining super bowl champs. The KC/SF game was pretty entertaining IMO.

Well...it was poorly played though. You do have a point. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    ^^I know I'm biased but I think the Eagles Super Bowl win was more entertaining for most of the 4 quarters.^^^

Mahomes was below average for most  of the game. He was magic only late  in the 4th quarter. Really the last 6-7 minutes of the game. It was 20-10 when KC scored with just over 6 minutes in the game to make it  20-17 SF. Jimmy G was below average for the whole game. Foles and Brady were so good in that game.

Again, I'm biased so what do I know

chinese-happy.jpg
    edited April 2020
    For this charity thing to design play in preseason I’m gonna design a fullback dive into the line in honor of all the idiots who complain after every loss that Pederson threw the ball too much 😎
    683 passing attempts // 480 rushing attempts
    59%/41% pass/run ratio. Nothing wrong with those numbers overall. 

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/situational-run-pass-ratios--off-.html

And you might want to use Goedert on that play as I don't think we have a fullback anymore!
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Oh man. Saw someone post these on twitter. If the Eagles ever go back to their real colors, this would ideal to me. Kind of a blend between their 70’s and 80’s uniforms

chinese-happy.jpg
    Oh, yes, I very much approve of these.