Fanviews / reviews

Comments

• JV267526JV267526 Posts: 195
    Gigaton is MUCH better than Backspacer and LB (which I liked but didn’t love from top to bottom). Hard to say where it will fall for me in the overall catalogue. Gonna take some time to digest before I can even begin to determine 
    Both those albums were fine and I was excited when they came out. There are a handful of songs on each I think are really good/close to indispensable in the catalog, and could and should still be played for years to come. This album is different in that it feels like it was written precisely for these times. Obviously, nobody could have predicted it would drop in the middle of a global pandemic with all of us basically locked in our houses and scared shitless about the future ... but the album hits home through that lens. Like whatever the intent was of the album when it was conceived, it landed as that on steroids based on the conditions of the country of the world at right this minute. I guess that's a rambling way of saying, though previous albums have some songs I hold dear to me, this one feels like almost like a historical document of our time. It's become a chronicle of this thing we're all in together.
    Great post, you nailed it. Feel the same way.
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740
    edited March 2020
    I also I sort of enjoy how since the last album we've gone from Sirens, which is basically a treatise on how love guides us through even the worst of life's existential crises, to now it's "love notwithstanding we are each of us fucked."
    :):):) 
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • JA86457JA86457 Posts: 7
    My wife and I just finished our first spin.  I have to admit neither of us were very impressed with the last two albums.  We had pretty much fallen off the train..........but this album has has us fully back on board.  A few minutes into listening my wife said "Now this is Pearl Jam!!".  The band sounds truly inspired on this album, and there are so many songs that demand an immediate re-listen.  I loved Quick Escape and got an immediate Zeppelin vibe from it.

I must also say that the timing of this album couldn't have been more perfect.  These last couple of weeks have been super heavy and listening to this album on vinyl, sitting in the floor with my wife, drinking a cold beer was just what we needed to release some anxiety.  I met my wife back in '98 as teenagers and one of the first things we connected on was our love for Pearl Jam.  Twenty-two years later we are married with 2 kids and listening to this album together brought us back to those early days of careless teenage love.

Stay well everyone and I look forward to seeing you all at the upcoming tour! 
  • pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,648

Well, on the bright side they did give it the highest rating of any album from the band that they reviewed this century.

Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • MiiikeMiiike Posts: 436
    edited April 2020

JA86457 said:
    I must also say that the timing of this album couldn't have been more perfect.  These last couple of weeks have been super heavy and listening to this album on vinyl, sitting in the floor with my wife, drinking a cold beer was just what we needed to release some anxiety.  I met my wife back in '98 as teenagers and one of the first things we connected on was our love for Pearl Jam.  Twenty-two years later we are married with 2 kids and listening to this album together brought us back to those early days of careless teenage love.

""
    Post edited by Miiike on
  • ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,075
    Overall I like the album. three listens in. Has echoes of Into the Wild.  Not sure I hear a truly singular standout/favorite song just yet. I'm still listening to the album all the way through and am not at the point of hitting repeat on anything just yet. It is a fairly even, consistent record. If there is an emotional anchor to this album I'd say it is the last 2-3 songs. But even those songs don't hit as hard as Release or Parting Ways. I think River Cross falls a bit short of what it feels like it could/should be. They are, however, a notch above Future Days and The End.

I often agree with Eddie's politics/stage rants, but working them into the songs can sometimes feel a bit forced.  Thankfully I don't notice the Trump references so easily.  I might've missed them entirely if I hadn't read the reviews beforehand.

Song-By-Song notes:

Who Ever Said - Strong rocker to open the album. Townshend-eqsue song. Harkens back to No Code. I like it.
    Wolfmoon & Dance - I guess I don't dislike them entirely as much as I dislike parts of them. I'm glad the band got them out of the way early in the album, so it doesn't feel like they're the heart of the album. The God's Dice and Evacuation of this record.
    Quick Escape - OK rocker, somewhat generic/formulaic.
    Alright - It's alright. The album really kind of begins here - this sets up what is coming the rest of the way.
    Seven O Clock - The Unthought Known/Amongst the Waves of Gigaton, the mid-record heart-of-the-album emotional peak, but not quite there. Very Bruce Springsteen-sounding song. Early candidate to be my favorite of the record.
    Never Destination - OK rocker, seems to be a mad favorite here.
    Take The Long Way
    - The most/only forgettable song on the album.
    Buckle Up - I rather like it. Seems to not be a favorite here on the forum. Reminds me of something (not necessarily PJ)  but I don't know what - it may be one of those things that is so original that it feels like it has been around forever.
    Comes Then  Goes - The other candidate for my favorite song.
    Retrograde - Actually, no, this may be the best song on the album. I'm surprised this song is only five minutes long. It feels like it could have another verse, and some more jamming. Maybe gets extended live.
    River Cross - I like the Into the Wild feel of this one.
    It feels like this song also ends abruptly. It could be very intense live. Where do they play it? End of Set? Beginning of Encore? Or does it get relegated to being an Indifference/Parting Ways-style rarity?

At this point there is no point in ranking PJ albums. There is everything up to and including Yield, then Binaural and Riot Act which are really good but not Top-Five great, and then everything after that.  Backspacer is my favorite of the post-RA albums. (2009 was a good year for me personally, so there is that association too.). I was prepared to not like Gigaton, based on the first two singles, but I am happy to find out that it is a pleasure to listen to all the way through and on repeat.

• JABKJABK Finland Posts: 293
    Nothing will touch the BIG 5, which are the first five albums. But Gigaton lands on a solid 6th place. This album is REALLY good. The punkrock vibes on Superblood Wolfmoon gets me going in the morning 🤘😎
  • maximumlawmanmaximumlawman Regensburg, Germany Posts: 214
    For those of you who read German this is a thoughtfully written review 
    https://www.zeit.de/kultur/musik/2020-03/pearl-jam-album-gigaton-comeback
  • ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,075
    pjpjpaul said:

Well, on the bright side they did give it the highest rating of any album from the band that they reviewed this century.

I think it's a pretty accurate review of the album..
  • vitovito Chicago Posts: 1,434
    edited March 2020
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.metacritic.com/music/gigaton/pearl-jam&ved=2ahUKEwjG3v7mqLzoAhUKQ60KHbzNCBsQFjABegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw1oJYYXXBzPh3G17if42tRO

Guess the critics have spoken around the globe and it's Universal Acclaim, as have the fans! Sad, that the very tiny minority on here don't hear what the rest of us do? Maybe you never will again cause if you don't hear that this blows away pretty much everything since Binaural and maybe that also then I don't know what to tell you but, your entitled to your opinion. As for Pitchfork PJ could've released the next Revolver, Who's Next or OK Computer and because it says Pearl Jam on the cover their going to dismiss it, they simply don't fall into Pitchforks rolodex!
    Post edited by vito on
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1992
    SUMMERFEST MILWAUKEE 1995
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1998
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO1998
    THOMPSON-BOLING ARENA KNOXVILLE 1998
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2000
    ALLSTATE ARENA ROSEMONT 2000
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2003
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    AIR CANADA CENTRE TORONTO 2005
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2009
    NATIONWIDE ARENA COLUMBUS 2010
    PJ20 NIGHT 1 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    PJ20 NIGHT 2 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    1ST MARINER ARENA BALTIMORE 2013
    IWIRELESS CENTER MOLINE 2014
    XCEL ENERGY CENTER ST. PAUL 2014
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2016 
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2016
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2018
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2018
    BOSTON 2 Fenway Park 2018
    ENTERPRISE CENTER SAINT LOUIS 2022
    Eddie Vedder Auditorium Theatre CHICAGO 2008

• NEweatherNEweather Posts: 449
    I’m a few spins in.  I love it.

This feels like one of those albums where your least favorite song upon first listen is your favorite at some point down the road.

Now let’s get rid of this fuckin’ virus so we can hear these great songs live!
                  ^ ^ ^  B)
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    I expected a 5 from Pitchfork so a 6.2 is almost a surprise.  

It had a chance.  Its an indie album, lead singer has a beard....did they forget that Stone once ran a hip hop label?  That’s 2 points right there.  
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867

It had a chance.  Its an indie album, lead singer has a beard....did they forget that Stone once ran a hip hop label?  That’s 2 points right there.  
    Don't see anything crazy or unjust about their review?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • EilianEilian Posts: 276

Me neither.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632

I never said it was crazy.  PJ is probably the only mainstream band i listen to these days.  Between myself, my wife, and having college aged kids who are into the same hiphop/pop/indie world, I know 90% of what Pitchfork reviews.  Current Pearl Jam music will never get a 7 or an 8 from their staff.  It’s just not Pitchfork’s thing. 6.2 is a compliment from them but i rank it more of a 7.5.     

• KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891

I never said it was crazy.  PJ is probably the only mainstream band i listen to these days.  Between myself, my wife, and having college aged kids who are into the same hiphop/pop/indie world, I know 90% of what Pitchfork reviews.  Current Pearl Jam music will never get a 7 or an 8 from their staff.  It’s just not Pitchfork’s thing. 6.2 is a compliment from them but i rank it more of a 7.5.     

It was a fair review, this isn’t a masterpiece but it is a pretty good album that is especially good in light of the last two studio efforts. There’s no striving for that given to fly remake, no terribly cheesey faux love songs, and no throw away short punk songs. All a major plus.
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    Verdict after three listens: 
    1. I like Whoever said, but after those insanely great ten seconds I expected a moodier song. The chorus isn’t my favorite part
    2. love SBWM, fun rocker
    3. looove DotC!! 
    4. QE: same, love it, so good!
    5. Alright took me a second listen but wow that’s beautiful! Could see them open a show with it
    6. Love 7 o’clock! Very Springsteen indeed, beautiful and it has one of my favorite lyrics about Sitting Bullshit ;)
    7. I like Never destination but the lyrics are all over the place and musically it falls behind 
    8. Take the long way: again, took me a second listen, absolutely love it! Reminds me of Powderfinger when he starts singing 
    9. haha, first listen I was like WTF?!? On second and third listen I‘m growing to love it. What a weird gem... buckle up 🤘🏻
    10. I don’t have the teary-eyed reaction others do but it is a beautiful testament to Chris
    11. another grower, love Retrograde!! Wow that ending is beautiful 
    12. I still expected it to explode more in the end but it is a stunning song!!!
    So hey, 10/12 and I like the other two 😍🤩🤘🏻
  • spankyMPspankyMP Posts: 1,015
    mcgruff10 said:
    I know it’s all opinions in the end but I can’t get the negativity towards ‘7 o’clock’.. I think it’s probably my favourite along with DOTC, just gutted that it’s going to be a long while before we hear them live by the looks of it  :|
    Every attempt I make to re-listen to the album from the top inevitably stalls out when I hit repeat on  "Seven O'clock" about nine times in a row.
    Yeah I don’t think I like how Ed sings the words. The flow and pitch  of the words (if that makes sense)

It does make sense, but that is part of what I like most about the song.  The “jump” of the one note every so often.  Is it considered inflection?
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Philly 9/7/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • CridderCridder Posts: 165
    The new album is great - Buck502000
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    After 1 complete listen

Tier 1
    Who ever said
    Superblood
    DOTC
    Quick Escape
    Never Destination 

Tier 2
    Seven O'clock
    Take the Long Way
    Retrograde
    River Cross

Tier3
    Buckle Up
    Comes then Goes (2.5 min too long)
    Alright  
    That might be exactly how I’d rank it. Maybe throw seven o clock in tier one for me. Those would be my top 6. Didn’t really care for the tunes where Eddie didn’t write the lyrics actually
    That could happen with me too. 7:00 is a lot of song to digest and one listen is definitely not enough. 
    Yeah I like it more and more with each listen. 
    It may be my favorite. Just a great song.
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Philly 9/7/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
    Gigaton is MUCH better than Backspacer and LB (which I liked but didn’t love from top to bottom). Hard to say where it will fall for me in the overall catalogue. Gonna take some time to digest before I can even begin to determine 
    Both those albums were fine and I was excited when they came out. There are a handful of songs on each I think are really good/close to indispensable in the catalog, and could and should still be played for years to come. This album is different in that it feels like it was written precisely for these times. Obviously, nobody could have predicted it would drop in the middle of a global pandemic with all of us basically locked in our houses and scared shitless about the future ... but the album hits home through that lens. Like whatever the intent was of the album when it was conceived, it landed as that on steroids based on the conditions of the country of the world at right this minute. I guess that's a rambling way of saying, though previous albums have some songs I hold dear to me, this one feels like almost like a historical document of our time. It's become a chronicle of this thing we're all in together.
    Yes @slightofjeff
    I love this post. Well said. Pretty much exactly how I feel
    Agreed.
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    I listened to it once yesterday morning, and really loved it. I am going to go easy on the binge listening however. When the physical copies turn up, which could be anytime in the next 7 - 9 days, I've been told, I'll place on in the car, and another one into the turntable. I'm happy though.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • I can't beleive how much I love this album already. First listen was rocky but holy hell there's so much going on (musically). I'm probably just over thinking some things cause of my giddiness with it, but I swear the music on gigaton is meant to functoin on a variety of levels. Like take the pacing for some of them. Super Blood is a great catchy tune with vocal breaks for ed between each part. DOTC is also super groovy but also not an energy sapper to play (trying to say it's desinged to be played live). The guys in the band must be aware that LB and BackSpacer aren't typcially considered the favorites with the fans, and being someone who hears many "recycled" parts in Gigaton from LB and BackSpacer, I can't help but wonder if songs like Never Destination (which I don't know how one could deny that it sounds like an amped up version of SuperSonic) and Retrograde (suped up Yellow Moon) is a way for the band to say "Yea we know those last two records had some missed opportunity, but check this shit out!" So if there is any recycling I think it's on purpose. Lastly I can't effing wait to hear Comes then Goes live. 
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,651
    Ok, 5 listens in and it’s officially, it’s a good one. Not feeling buckle up at all but the rest is solid. I’m loving comes than goes, 7 o’clock and never destination from the non singles that were released. Take the long way sounds like a Soundgarden song, great riff , not huge fan of lyrics. One song has a dead on Tom petty rip off, I take it as a respect lyric. Overall I give 8/10. Really enjoying it this morning
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    So much better than Backspacer and Lightning Bolt
  • TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,447
    KN219077 said:

It was a fair review, this isn’t a masterpiece but it is a pretty good album that is especially good in light of the last two studio efforts. There’s no striving for that given to fly remake, no terribly cheesey faux love songs, and no throw away short punk songs. All a major plus.
    Great points IMO! 
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    pjpjpaul said:

Pitchfork always comes off as super pretentious to me and this review is no different. 
  • robis726robis726 Posts: 132
    Tier 1 - Who Ever Said - DOTC - Quick Escape - 7OClock - Take the Long Way
    Tier 2 - SBWM - Never Destination - Comes Then Goes - River Cross
    TIer 3 - Alright - Buckle Up - Retrograde 
    Oh, if I knew where it was I would take you there...

Austin, Texas 09-16-1995
    Columbia, Maryland 09-04-2000
    San Antonio, Texas 04-05-2003
    Santa Barbara, California 07-13-2006
    Universal City, California 10-01-2009
    Austin, Texas 10-04-2009
    Dallas, Texas 11-15-2013
    Mexico City, Mexico 11-28-2015
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida 04-08-2016
    Miami, Florida 04-09-2016
    Chicago, Illinois I 08-20-2016
    Chicago, Illinois II 08-22-2016
    Seattle, Washington I 08-08-2018
    Seattle, Washington II 08-10-2018
    Boston, Massachusets I 09-02-2018
    Austin, Texas 09-18-2023
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    edited March 2020
    4 listens in now and enjoying each song in different ways on each listen.
    This album has definitely answered a question in my mind that I've had for the past decade - whether or not Pearl Jam is still a viable studio band. They absolutely are. This album is brimming with ideas and new sounds to my ears. Love it.

Edit: Far too early to rank it overall but I can see it popping in nicely in the top 5. Will take another few months before that's concrete though.
    Post edited by Edved82 on
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • alphawolfalphawolf DelMarVa/Big Sky Posts: 646
    MedozK said:
    So much better than Backspacer and Lightning Bolt
    BINGO! B)
    1996 - Columbia Maryland, Hartford

1998 - DC RFK Stadium, Virginia Beach, Columbia Maryland, DC Constitution Hall
    2000 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, Columbia Maryland

2002 - Seattle Key Arena I+II

2003 - Raleigh, Charlotte, State College, Bristow, Camden II

2004 - Asheville

2006 - Boston II, Camden I+II, DC

2008 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, DC

2009 - Philadelphia I, II, III, IV

2010 - Bristow

2013 - Philadelphia II, Baltimore, Charlottesville, Charlotte

2022 - Camden