Fanviews / reviews

Comments

• gundagunda Posts: 97
    This was worth the 7 year wait. 
    Never Destination was the kick in the teeth I needed to hear. Straight out rocker, The drum work on this album is top notch. Quick escape is another good one. Still undecided about buckle up. But all in all Gigaton is an instant classic. Can’t wait to hear these tracks live. But instead of being at MSG on Monday, I’ll be listening to boots on my couch. Fuck off Coronavirus, stay safe all. 
    8-23-00 jones beach 10-21-01 cal 7-14_03 pnc 5-18_10 nj msg1 5-20-10
  • retroponyretropony Myrtle Beach SC Posts: 349
    Cannot wait to hear the last couple minutes of quick escape live! Matt C really shines on this album (not that he doesn't always), but there's something about his work on this one to me.
    Washington DC 2008
    Charlotte NC 2013
    Greenville SC 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
  • Steadyd84Steadyd84 Brattleboro, VT Posts: 33
    So, after 5 full listens (plus listening to a few songs out of order this morning), I can say that I'm really fucking happy with Gigaton. It's not cracking my Top 5 PJ albums list, but it's most certainly better than Lighting Bolt and Backspacer, and I'm debating if it's on par with vs better than their Avocado.

The only 2 songs that I'm gonna need to sit with a little longer are "Seven O'clock" and "Retrograde". I really love the lyrics/message behind both of them, but I'm gonna need a few more listens to really process them and wether or not I'm into them. HEAVY Springsteen vibe on both of them, and there's nothing wrong with that imo.

If nothing else, it's an incredibly poignant and timely album. Like, there's no way they could have known it'd come out to what we're going thru right now, but being that the album is HEAVILY about the environment and taking care of the planet/each other, and how fucked things are/feel, but still trying to err on the side of hope and perseverance...but with a little "fuck you" in there, too. It feels like they put a lot of thought and energy into capturing the state of things during this part of history, and it's even more relevant now than when they were writing/recording it, tbh.

As of now:

No Code
    Vs.
    Ten
    Yield
    Vitalogy
    Riot Act
    Binaural
    Avocado 
    Gigaton
    Backspacer
    Lightening Bolt

Hope everyone is healthy, safe, and happy <3 
    Gibbons
    San Antonio, Texas 04-05-2003
    San Antonio, Texas 11-16-2012 (EV)
    Dallas, Texas 11-15-2013
    Austin, Texas 10-05-2014
    Austin, Texas 10-12-2014
    Chicago, Illinois 08-20-2016
    Chicago, Illinois 08-22-2016
    Seattle, Washington 08-08-2018
    Seattle, Washington 08-10-2018
    Nashville, Tennessee 09-16-2022 
  • eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 914
    I cant speak after that. I'm too emotionally attached to this amazing band. Up there with the greatest bands of all time. This cements it for me. I did a 15 hour day today . Had a tough day. And this lp has warmed my heart. I feel elated here. Off to kiss my little son goodnight. 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Just such a nice escape

so cool to be excited by something. 
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740
    mfcbmw said:
    Complaining about Ed singing too many lyrics has to be, by far, the funniest, most backwards complaint for not liking a song(s).  Is it too hard to understand too much meaning?  Or that it'll take time to digest?  I'm assuming if you dislike Ed singing too many words, you must also dislike Sleight of Hand, Garden, Black, marker in the sand, army reserve, comeback.  Too many lyrics for those songs it huuuurts my bwain.  
    Really?  The lyrics actually flow in those songs.  Of late, a lot of Ed's lyrics are pretty jumbled and inaudible.  
    Remember in 1991 when Opera Man poked fun at Ed's jumbled and inaudible Evenflow lyrics on SNL? This is not a new quote-unquote problem. Follow along with the liner notes a couple of times and all of sudden it all becomes crystal clear. 
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
    I know it’s all opinions in the end but I can’t get the negativity towards ‘7 o’clock’.. I think it’s probably my favourite along with DOTC, just gutted that it’s going to be a long while before we hear them live by the looks of it  :|
    Every attempt I make to re-listen to the album from the top inevitably stalls out when I hit repeat on  "Seven O'clock" about nine times in a row.
  • DEGBTIDEGBTI san diego Posts: 875
    tier 1, quick escape, retrograde, seven o'clock, alright, dotc, sbwm
    tier 2, comes than goes, river cross
    tier 3 the rest, but in a good/great way

retrograde is so awesome, into the wild vibe, seven o'clock is so good, I am so stoked to hear it all!
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I know it’s all opinions in the end but I can’t get the negativity towards ‘7 o’clock’.. I think it’s probably my favourite along with DOTC, just gutted that it’s going to be a long while before we hear them live by the looks of it  :|
    Every attempt I make to re-listen to the album from the top inevitably stalls out when I hit repeat on  "Seven O'clock" about nine times in a row.
    Yeah I don’t think I like how Ed sings the words. The flow and pitch  of the words (if that makes sense)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • southpsouthp Posts: 265
    edited March 2020
    I already posted my initial thoughts yesterday but I really enjoy checking in here to see the love. Especially cool to see how we all have different tastes. 

1) how anyone could dislike DOTC blows my mind. I think it’s a masterpiece and sits perfectly after the fun-Rocker that is Superblood. That being said if you like classic PJ then yeah it’s not in that mold. 

2) Ranking albums is far too early however I have no issue putting this above RA, BS and LB for my personal taste. 

3) I laugh a little bit at our skewed understanding of the concept of “tiers” when you have 12 items to categorize.  That’s just the  analyst in me coming out but here’s my attempt...

tier 1) Who Ever Said, DOTC, Quick Escape, Seven O’clock 
    tier 2) superblood, Alright, Take the Long Way, Retrograde
    tier 3) Never destination, Buckle up, Comes then Goes, River Cross. 

Post edited by southp on
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Only listened to it twice so far but it’s very exciting and they did a great job.  There’s a lot I love and a few I question.

last few songs seem a little slow to me but it’s probably because of the way they’re positioned and they’re all in that row.

holy shit with the lyrics, every song seems like Ed just can’t stand music without his voice in it.  Any time the other guys wrote the music he just couldn’t stand to let them have their moment. The lyrics themselves are fantastic, but there’s like 20% more words than I would like.

anyway, it’s great and I’m so happy they made it.  Hope the fact they had to put a postponement on the tour didn’t suck the wind out of their sails, it’s a nice release all in all
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    LOVE: Dance of the Clairvoyants, Quick Escape, Never Destination, Take the Long Way, Buckle Up, Comes Then Goes, River Cross

LIKE LIKE: Superblood Wolfmoon, Alright, Retrograde

LIKE: Seven O’Clock

NOT A FAN OF YET: Who Ever Said

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Matt kills it on this album. His best PJ album by far for me. 
    CM189191 said:
    Matt's drumming is top notch
    It may well be the best he's played on any Pearl Jam Album?
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    CM189191 said:
    Matt's social media game is top notch too
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,769
    My CD won't play, forced to You Tube listening.  Was so looking forward to coming home after long week at work and just listening to new PJ.  Bummer, but can't complain about that with what the world is facing now.  
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    PJALK said:
    CM189191 said:
    His best work since joining Pearl Jam
    I think so too.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    cutz said:
    PJALK said:
    CM189191 said:
    His best work since joining Pearl Jam
    I think so too.
    Same
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • The best: Alright, DOTC, Comes than Goes, River Cross, Quick Escape, Buckle Up

next: 7oclock, Who ever said, SBWM, Retrograde

meh: Never Destination, Take the long way
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    After 1 complete listen

Tier 1
    Who ever said
    Superblood
    DOTC
    Quick Escape
    Never Destination 

Tier 2
    Seven O'clock
    Take the Long Way
    Retrograde
    River Cross

Tier3
    Buckle Up
    Comes then Goes (2.5 min too long)
    Alright  
  • KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891
    Comes then Goes is way better than I expected based on the reviews. Fantastic, classic Ed acoustic song
  • I know it’s all opinions in the end but I can’t get the negativity towards ‘7 o’clock’.. I think it’s probably my favourite along with DOTC, just gutted that it’s going to be a long while before we hear them live by the looks of it  :|
    My favorite two on the album so far too. 
    KN219077 said:
    Comes then Goes is way better than I expected based on the reviews. Fantastic, classic Ed acoustic song
    He has a way of taking very specific, personal subject matter and turning into some sort of universal truth. 
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    After a first listen of the vinyl...this record is GREAT!  

Listen to Retrograde again if you’re on the fence. Holy shit the last minute or so of it is INCREDIBLE 
    Gigaton is MUCH better than Backspacer and LB (which I liked but didn’t love from top to bottom). Hard to say where it will fall for me in the overall catalogue. Gonna take some time to digest before I can even begin to determine 
    nicknyr15 said:
    After 1 complete listen

Tier 1
    Who ever said
    Superblood
    DOTC
    Quick Escape
    Never Destination 

Tier 2
    Seven O'clock
    Take the Long Way
    Retrograde
    River Cross

Tier3
    Buckle Up
    Alright  
    That might be exactly how I’d rank it. Maybe throw seven o clock in tier one for me. Those would be my top 6. Didn’t really care for the tunes where Eddie didn’t write the lyrics actually
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891
    Seven O Clock and Retrograde are bottom two for me right now. I’ll see how these song shake out over the next couple of months in my rankings. I feel like this is slightly above LB and Backspacer and certainly has more depth than anything since Riot Act
    edited March 2020
    Gigaton is MUCH better than Backspacer and LB (which I liked but didn’t love from top to bottom). Hard to say where it will fall for me in the overall catalogue. Gonna take some time to digest before I can even begin to determine 
    Both those albums were fine and I was excited when they came out. There are a handful of songs on each I think are really good/close to indispensable in the catalog, and could and should still be played for years to come. This album is different in that it feels like it was written precisely for these times. Obviously, nobody could have predicted it would drop in the middle of a global pandemic with all of us basically locked in our houses and scared shitless about the future ... but the album hits home through that lens. Like whatever the intent was of the album when it was conceived, it landed as that on steroids based on the conditions of the country and the world at right this minute. I guess that's a rambling way of saying, though previous albums have some songs I hold dear to me, this one feels like almost like a historical document of our time. It's become a chronicle of this thing we're all in together.
    Post edited by slightofjeff on
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    nicknyr15 said:
    After 1 complete listen

Tier 1
    Who ever said
    Superblood
    DOTC
    Quick Escape
    Never Destination 

Tier 2
    Seven O'clock
    Take the Long Way
    Retrograde
    River Cross

Tier3
    Buckle Up
    Alright  
    That might be exactly how I’d rank it. Maybe throw seven o clock in tier one for me. Those would be my top 6. Didn’t really care for the tunes where Eddie didn’t write the lyrics actually
    That could happen with me too. 7:00 is a lot of song to digest and one listen is definitely not enough. 
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    After 1 complete listen

Tier 1
    Who ever said
    Superblood
    DOTC
    Quick Escape
    Never Destination 

Tier 2
    Seven O'clock
    Take the Long Way
    Retrograde
    River Cross

Tier3
    Buckle Up
    Alright  
    That could happen with me too. 7:00 is a lot of song to digest and one listen is definitely not enough. 
    Yeah I like it more and more with each listen. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    edited March 2020
    Both those albums were fine and I was excited when they came out. There are a handful of songs on each I think are really good/close to indispensable in the catalog, and could and should still be played for years to come. This album is different in that it feels like it was written precisely for these times. Obviously, nobody could have predicted it would drop in the middle of a global pandemic with all of us basically locked in our houses and scared shitless about the future ... but the album hits home through that lens. Like whatever the intent was of the album when it was conceived, it landed as that on steroids based on the conditions of the country of the world at right this minute. I guess that's a rambling way of saying, though previous albums have some songs I hold dear to me, this one feels like almost like a historical document of our time. It's become a chronicle of this thing we're all in together.
    Yes @slightofjeff
    I love this post. Well said. Pretty much exactly how I feel