MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    Everyone on here.  Let's talk about baseball please.  We can have some good back and forth on here.  Someone pick a topic!
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1966896

Syndergaard to undergo Tommy John surgery
    7h ago
    Rich Schultz / Getty Images Sport / Getty
    NEW YORK NY - SEPTEMBER 08 Noah Syndergaard 34 of the New York Mets in action against the Philadelphia Phillies during a game at Citi Field on September 8 2019 in New York City

New York Mets right-hander Noah Syndergaard will undergo Tommy John surgery to repair a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his throwing elbow, the team announced Tuesday.

The procedure will be performed on Thursday by Dr. David Altchek at New York's Hospital for Special Surgery.

Mets general manager Brodie Van Wagenen said in a statement that Syndergaard first experienced discomfort in his elbow before Major League Baseball suspended spring training. After an MRI found the tear and a second opinion from Dr. Neal ElAttrache confirmed the diagnosis, it was decided to proceed with the surgery.

The procedure will force Syndergaard to miss the entire 2020 season regardless of when it begins. He won't return until April 2021 at the earliest, and it's possible that he could be sidelined into next summer.

His absence will leave a significant hole in the Mets' rotation. New York added veterans Rick Porcello and Michael Wacha in free agency this winter, and both of them are now likely to be guaranteed starting jobs when the season begins. The team will also get a full campaign from right-hander Marcus Stroman, who was acquired in a trade last July.

The 27-year-old Syndergaard made 32 starts for the Mets in 2019, posting a 4.28 ERA and a 3.60 FIP with 202 strikeouts. He has one more year of arbitration eligibility remaining.

Syndergaard is the latest star pitcher to require Tommy John surgery this spring, joining Boston Red Sox ace Chris Sale and New York Yankees right-hander Luis Severino.

cutz said:
    https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1966896

Syndergaard to undergo Tommy John surgery
    7h ago
    Rich Schultz / Getty Images Sport / Getty
    NEW YORK NY - SEPTEMBER 08 Noah Syndergaard 34 of the New York Mets in action against the Philadelphia Phillies during a game at Citi Field on September 8 2019 in New York City

New York Mets right-hander Noah Syndergaard will undergo Tommy John surgery to repair a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his throwing elbow, the team announced Tuesday.

The procedure will be performed on Thursday by Dr. David Altchek at New York's Hospital for Special Surgery.

Mets general manager Brodie Van Wagenen said in a statement that Syndergaard first experienced discomfort in his elbow before Major League Baseball suspended spring training. After an MRI found the tear and a second opinion from Dr. Neal ElAttrache confirmed the diagnosis, it was decided to proceed with the surgery.

The procedure will force Syndergaard to miss the entire 2020 season regardless of when it begins. He won't return until April 2021 at the earliest, and it's possible that he could be sidelined into next summer.

His absence will leave a significant hole in the Mets' rotation. New York added veterans Rick Porcello and Michael Wacha in free agency this winter, and both of them are now likely to be guaranteed starting jobs when the season begins. The team will also get a full campaign from right-hander Marcus Stroman, who was acquired in a trade last July.

The 27-year-old Syndergaard made 32 starts for the Mets in 2019, posting a 4.28 ERA and a 3.60 FIP with 202 strikeouts. He has one more year of arbitration eligibility remaining.

Syndergaard is the latest star pitcher to require Tommy John surgery this spring, joining Boston Red Sox ace Chris Sale and New York Yankees right-hander Luis Severino.

This is a very Mets thing to happen to them.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    Surprised with all elective surgeries being postponed he is getting cut tomorrow, especially in NY.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Poncier said:
    Surprised with all elective surgeries being postponed he is getting cut tomorrow, especially in NY.
     I don’t want to see anybody suffer but not a good look. 
    Fake
    DewieCox said:
    Fake
    Yeah, I wonder the same. Especially since we can't see the ball until the last second.
    If its not fake, its probably attempt #2,869 and we will never see the video of attempts 1-2,868.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Poncier said:
    If its not fake, its probably attempt #2,869 and we will never see the video of attempts 1-2,868.

well it's not like he's going anywhere so yeah probably took x amount of times like dude perfect's trick shots.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    edited March 2020
    You hear the ball he hit  land before the ball that his buddy dropped in.
    Poncier said:
    There were a group of guys that made a whole show out of doing this.  It took them a couple hundred takes sometimes but they got the shot and they made money with it.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Poncier said:
    thor will be thor for a while.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Poncier said:
    There were a group of guys that made a whole show out of doing this.  It took them a couple hundred takes sometimes but they got the shot and they made money with it.
    Yep. Dude Perfect. My kid used to watch their Youtube vids all the time. They even had a short lived TV series on Nickelodeon and they are touring this summer. 
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Season was suppose to start today :disappointed:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Season was suppose to start today :disappointed:
    I know it....sad day. I miss it.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    I'm glad we didn't do any drafting yet.  I'd be pissed if I had Judge or Syndegaurd.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Ha.  Me too.
    Sucks to have these things we love get messed with by this awful shit.
    Imaging how strange it will be to go through today for all of the people who work/play/etc as part of opening day.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Today was the Gerrit Cole was supposed to start his trek into Cooperstown wearing a Yankees cap.
    Today was the Gerrit Cole was supposed to start his trek into Cooperstown wearing a Yankees cap.
    how’d that work out for randy johnson? :wink:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    I don't think this season gets kicked off until July or August. 

Even in "normal" times, the baseball season should be shortened by two months. Opening day in late April with the World Series wrapping up in early October.
    The less you know, the more you believe.
    Jammin909 said:

We certainly don't look like we're going to be ready to play games at Yankee Stadium, Safeco or Dodger Stadium in mid May like they are currently targeting/hoping. Wouldn't be shocked to see the entire season scrapped. Maybe NFL can play in the fall, but doubt we see much before then.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Wobbie said:
    how’d that work out for randy johnson? :wink:
    He was old as dirt when he joined.
    Poncier said:
    Jammin909 said:

We certainly don't look like we're going to be ready to play games at Yankee Stadium, Safeco or Dodger Stadium in mid May like they are currently targeting/hoping. Wouldn't be shocked to see the entire season scrapped. Maybe NFL can play in the fall, but doubt we see much before then.
    They won't scrap the season.  They'll play a half of one.
    Man, a whole year?  That is just friggin crazy.
    That Dodger trade for Mookie Betts doesn't look quite so one sided if he never suits up for them.
    Poncier said:
    That Dodger trade for Mookie Betts doesn't look quite so one sided if he never suits up for them.
    yeah, that would be a real shame. :triumph:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    That doesn't look good.
    Boras: MLB owners capping prospect bonuses is 'unconscionable'
    5h ago
    Michael Zagaris / Getty Images Sport / Getty
    OAKLAND CA - APRIL 2 Agent Scott Boras sits in the stands during the game between the Oakland Athletics and the Boston Red Sox at the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum on April 2 2019 in Oakland California The Athletics defeated the Red Sox 1-0

Super-agent Scott Boras believes the part of the new agreement between Major League Baseball and the MLB Players Association that caps spending on drafted players was an egregious concession by the union.

"It's unconscionable the owners in this climate would reduce the collectively bargained money given to drafted players in the top rounds," Boras told Ken Rosenthal and Evan Drellich of The Athletic.

Under the new agreement, slotted draft bonuses will be capped for the next two seasons at the 2019 rate. Those slotted draft bonuses would typically increase by 3% each year.

MLB has the right to shorten the draft from its typical 40 rounds to five rounds and every player that goes undrafted will have their bonus capped at $20,000 before it starts counting against the team's bonus pool, as opposed to the typical $125,000 soft cap.

Bonuses will also be deferred this season. Prospects will earn $100,000 this year and have the remainder of their bonus split equally between two lump-sum payments in 2021 and 2022.

"I don't mind them reducing the rounds," Boras continued. "That's not the issue. It's reducing the payments to those players. To cut their bonuses in this climate and use a pandemic situation in our country as a means to do that, I really find it unconscionable.

"The best players do not deserve to have their bonuses cut. That’s who you should invest in."

Boras' clients now include many of the top earners in baseball like Gerrit Cole and Bryce Harper, but he got his start by representing players entering the draft. He has routinely advocated for lifting the bonuses and salaries of prospects.

When drafted first overall in 2011, Cole's $8-million signing bonus set an MLB record that stood for eight years until this past draft, when Adley Rutschman received an $8.1-million bonus from the Baltimore Orioles.