Options

Rugs - Tips and Advice

I'm looking for an area rug but have no idea where to buy a quality area rug and not get raked over the coals by paying some hipster markup for something they probably swindled for $3 in Turkey.  Does anyone know of reputable places to shop or have any tips?  I like vintage looks, such as ...

Comments

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    My wife loves rugs. She gets them at tj maxx.  They seem like good quality, but I’m no rug expert. 

Why are rugs the one thing stores advertise being imported? I never got that.
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,907
    My only advice if you’re thinking of purchasing a Persian or Oriental carpet is to do your research.  What textiles do you want?  Silk? Wool? A blend of both? Etc.  Are you thinking family heirloom or just something for the next five years?  A quick google search can help immensely.  The first few points in this site can help.
     https://theculturetrip.com/middle-east/iran/articles/8-tips-for-buying-the-perfect-persian-carpet/

Good luck!  We have five now.  The husband bought our first one when deployed to Bahrain.  He spent his downtime researching and then checking out the local shops.  Have a price in mind, haggle and be prepared to walk away.

This one measures ~14’ x 6’ and is a silk/wool blend.   I don’t recall exactly how much we paid, but I think it was around $3500-$4000 USD.

The other four are smaller, around 6’ x 4’.  Three are silk and one is a silk/wool blend.  We bought these in Israel when he was deployed there for just over $4000 CAD I think.

We love them all. We made some exceptional bargains.  Don’t lowball, but definitely be prepared to walk away.  All are hand-woven.   Definitely family heirlooms.

Good luck with your search.  Post a picture when you find something.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    Jeff has a nice one
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    My only advice if you’re thinking of purchasing a Persian or Oriental carpet is to do your research.  What textiles do you want?  Silk? Wool? A blend of both? Etc.  Are you thinking family heirloom or just something for the next five years?  A quick google search can help immensely.  The first few points in this site can help.
     https://theculturetrip.com/middle-east/iran/articles/8-tips-for-buying-the-perfect-persian-carpet/

Good luck!  We have five now.  The husband bought our first one when deployed to Bahrain.  He spent his downtime researching and then checking out the local shops.  Have a price in mind, haggle and be prepared to walk away.

This one measures ~14’ x 6’ and is a silk/wool blend.   I don’t recall exactly how much we paid, but I think it was around $3500-$4000 USD.

The other four are smaller, around 6’ x 4’.  Three are silk and one is a silk/wool blend.  We bought these in Israel when he was deployed there for just over $4000 CAD I think.

We love them all. We made some exceptional bargains.  Don’t lowball, but definitely be prepared to walk away.  All are hand-woven.   Definitely family heirlooms.

Good luck with your search.  Post a picture when you find something.

Ha!  I only paid about $4 US on eBay for mine!  Oh, but wait, mine is a mouse pad.

(Not my photo but it looks exactly like this:)

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    ^^^  :o  =). Sounds like a great deal.
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,749
    I prefer hardwood floors... ;)
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Perhaps estate sales? 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Jeff has a nice one
    Hahaha.
    It really tied the room together.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Yeah.  Or landing strips.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Yeah.  Or landing strips.
    Ha!  I knew it'd go there.

My family is big into Persian rugs - some brought over from Iran, some purchased here.  They're beautiful, even the worn out parts.  You wonder about who walked upon them, what foods or drinks were spilled on them, steps danced on them, tears of mourning.

(I muse in the same way with older cars.)

We have a couple that we bought on Amazon for around $60.  Nice looking, and the nap is perfect for our two kitties.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    FifthElement, thank you for the resources!  Yup, lots of stuff to learn.  My biggest obstacle is that the odds of making my way to the middle east to shop a bazaar is unlikely, although I would love to visit the region some day.  Any idea on how to go about searching while being relegated to north america?  Are there reputable importers that you know of?

Also, love the pics.  Poor little poochie looks like her paw got caught in the cookie jar.   ;)

(love the colors in this one)

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,690
    I decided to just go ahead and do the bald spot.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,749
    Make sure it matches the curtains.
    No way! Much prefer nicely cared for curtains with well manicured...I mean neat and clean hardwood flooring. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    FifthElement, thank you for the resources!  Yup, lots of stuff to learn.  My biggest obstacle is that the odds of making my way to the middle east to shop a bazaar is unlikely, although I would love to visit the region some day.  Any idea on how to go about searching while being relegated to north america?  Are there reputable importers that you know of?

Also, love the pics.  Poor little poochie looks like her paw got caught in the cookie jar.   ;)

(love the colors in this one)

We have a local wholesale distributor where I live.  I checked their website and they have lots of great information.  They also ship worldwide.  
    https://www.babaksorientalcarpets.com/pages/antique-carpets  They have a lot of images of what they sell too. I looked at the 6’ x 4’ ones and the prices seemed reasonable. Prices are in CAD.  Happy hunting.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,422
    I have a rug I need to reduce in size.....any good dancers here? :scream:
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,690
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14