Locke and Key on Netflix

Is anybody watching or has watched Locke and Key?

I loved this series so far!  A couple of complaints but for the most part it is FANTASTIC!

Anybody?

In short: Widowed Mom of 3 moves to her husbands heirloom house across the country.  The youngest hears whispers and finds a key.  He uses the key and finds that it has magical powers.  He finds more and sees that they all have different powers.

Comments

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Watched the preview for this a couple nights ago but haven't got around to watching it yet.  It looks interesting.
  • Easily my favorite comic of all time. Have only watched the first two episodes , very into it however as something I have read at least 10 times there are differences that  I am not super pumped on. However I still think it is fantastic based on what I have seen.

Little things like the way the Head Key works is totally different but if you ever read the comic you will realize even though better , no way could they pull something off like that on a live action TV show.

• Matts3221 said:

Easily my favorite comic of all time. Have only watched the first two episodes , very into it however as something I have read at least 10 times there are differences that  I am not super pumped on. However I still think it is fantastic based on what I have seen.

Little things like the way the Head Key works is totally different but if you ever read the comic you will realize even though better , no way could they pull something off like that on a live action TV show.

I saw that it was a comic and was very interested in picking them up to read.  A few of the things I used to read or are reading seem to become shows now.  It can be fun and frustrating sometimes.  Legion has to be my favorite adaption to date.
  • a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,833
    Just started this and am a few episodes in. Once I heard it was done by Stephan King's kid I had to give it a shot, love their stuff.
    Anyway, really liking it so far.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• The comic was fantastic...I hope the show is as well.
  • Just finished up the first season last night , as a huge fan of the comic , I cannot recommend this show enough. I feel like I cannot say anything else as this show really is like a puzzle and each episode is giving you another piece.

Anyone watching that feels it is too different from the comic stick with it , it covers most everything just in a much different order than you would expect.

Love that Joe Hill ( Steven King's Son ) made a quick role as an ambulance driver , my wife was like " what the fuck how did Stephen King get so young ) his son really looks just like him.

In closing - WATCH THIS SHOW

• FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    Mostly enjoyed the series.  I haven’t read the comics so I can not compare it to that.  My issues are more to do with editing.  It seems like a lot was cut out to trim it to ~45-47 mins. which seems kinda dumb as it’s on Netflix.  Could be hour long eps.

Additionally, Aaron Ashmore was criminally underused in season one.  Maybe it’s because they were finishing up the last season of Killjoys, but at this point, it seems like the whole Uncle Duncan character was useless in the sense that if the character didn’t appear in the show at all, it wouldn’t be missed.  The key piece of evidence utilised and attributed to his character could have been given to another character.

All that being said, I do hope they have another season with better editing and character usage.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Mostly enjoyed the series.  I haven’t read the comics so I can not compare it to that.  My issues are more to do with editing.  It seems like a lot was cut out to trim it to ~45-47 mins. which seems kinda dumb as it’s on Netflix.  Could be hour long eps.

Additionally, Aaron Ashmore was criminally underused in season one.  Maybe it’s because they were finishing up the last season of Killjoys, but at this point, it seems like the whole Uncle Duncan character was useless in the sense that if the character didn’t appear in the show at all, it wouldn’t be missed.  The key piece of evidence utilised and attributed to his character could have been given to another character.

All that being said, I do hope they have another season with better editing and character usage.
    I was more thrown off that they never went to talk w the Great Grandfather more.

Glad to see the love for this show!!!
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    Mostly enjoyed the series.  I haven’t read the comics so I can not compare it to that.  My issues are more to do with editing.  It seems like a lot was cut out to trim it to ~45-47 mins. which seems kinda dumb as it’s on Netflix.  Could be hour long eps.

I was more thrown off that they never went to talk w the Great Grandfather more.

Glad to see the love for this show!!!
    Yeah.  I agree.  I feel like conversations were had that were removed during the editing process.  It’s weird, you can definitely tell how a program has been edited for commercials and for weekly viewing.  It presents a challenge when a program is viewed on a streaming service.  How do you effectively convey time passing, character development, etc., when something is built to be consumed in a relatively short period of time?
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Never heard of this show, but thanks to this thread watched the first 2 episodes last night. Like it, looking forward to the rest.

• Mostly enjoyed the series.  I haven’t read the comics so I can not compare it to that.  My issues are more to do with editing.  It seems like a lot was cut out to trim it to ~45-47 mins. which seems kinda dumb as it’s on Netflix.  Could be hour long eps.

Hoping there is a lot more love to Duncan in the second season , he played such a huge role in the comics and has a really good arc.

Knowing how it all ends ( although the show can change things around ) I cannot imaging them just ignoring Duncan , also I cannot see the show going beyond a second season. There are 6 Graphic Novels ( 36 issues total ) and volumes 1-3 were pretty much season 1. I just don't want to see something great get dragged out and then lose interest ( looking at your Walking Dead ) , loved the comic all the way to the end , gave up on TWD about 5 years ago.
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Matts3221 said:

Hoping there is a lot more love to Duncan in the second season , he played such a huge role in the comics and has a really good arc.

Knowing how it all ends ( although the show can change things around ) I cannot imaging them just ignoring Duncan , also I cannot see the show going beyond a second season. There are 6 Graphic Novels ( 36 issues total ) and volumes 1-3 were pretty much season 1. I just don't want to see something great get dragged out and then lose interest ( looking at your Walking Dead ) , loved the comic all the way to the end , gave up on TWD about 5 years ago.
    Hill announced they are working on more L&K books, so the show can move into more of an anthology if it needs to. Seems like the new books will be set in the past. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Matts3221 said:

Hill announced they are working on more L&K books, so the show can move into more of an anthology if it needs to. Seems like the new books will be set in the past. 

You just blew my mind and have me very excited for what is in store. I love the four short stories he did in the Locke & Key universe ( one took place in Key house in the 40's or 50's after a bank robbery )

Now I just have to wait and wait. Cant Saga at least come back from its insanely long hiatus , I get why that book has taken a year off since the last issue but come on I need more Saga and Locke & Key

• So cool and its set to start this year , I hope its is six books and not six issues.

"World War Key"

At the 2019 San Diego Comic-Con, Joe Hill confirmed that a storyline called "World War Key" was in the works.[40] This storyline as Hill puts it is "about the idea that the past is never gone... and I think a lot of ghost stories are about ways the past keep bleeding through to the present. We'll visit the Revolutionary War, Civil War, and World War II to show how those past events have had lingering effects on our heroes today."[40] As of 2019, the series is expected to run across six books.

• Matts3221 said:

So cool and its set to start this year , I hope its is six books and not six issues.

"World War Key"

At the 2019 San Diego Comic-Con, Joe Hill confirmed that a storyline called "World War Key" was in the works.[40] This storyline as Hill puts it is "about the idea that the past is never gone... and I think a lot of ghost stories are about ways the past keep bleeding through to the present. We'll visit the Revolutionary War, Civil War, and World War II to show how those past events have had lingering effects on our heroes today."[40] As of 2019, the series is expected to run across six books.

F N A Cotton, F N A!
  • a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,833
    Have the last episode to watch tonight, really enjoyed the series. Might have to look into getting those comics or trades :)
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?