New LP price is way too expensive

1235»

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    apirk72 said:
    Sounds like some of you should shop at different record stores.  Retail seems to be $34.99 anything over that is probably on the shop not the band
    all we have in winnipeg now is sunrise, which is a chain in the malls, or local shops. I don't get to the local shops much as they are out of the way and shitty hours. but yeah, I might have to make more of an effort to get there. I prefer shopping local anyway when I can, it's just often not feasible. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    Vinyl in general is too expensive.  I love it, I still buy it... but damn it is an expensive habit.  Seems to me Gigaton pricing is pretty much in line with other new releases these days.  I still pre ordered because there is no chance Im not going to buy the new PJ record on vinyl.  The latest Avett Brothers record is $50 at local shops here in STL.  $44 on Amazon.  I like them (my wife loves them) but I had to pass on that one.  Its too much for one album when I can stream it on apple music.  Another problem I find in current times is with sites like eBay and discogs record stores have most everything priced at market value.  Its very difficult to find great deals like it was in the past on used records.
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    silva said:
    My local record shop here in the UK say it's going to be £42. That's 55 USD. Whilst I was in there I bought the new Angel Olsen album for £20. Double LP, 12 page full size booklet, separate A1 poster and download code. Now how is it that for 2 comparable items, one is over double the other? I don't understand that. The only thing I can think is that they know the PJ market will spend that money (older, probably more fanatical fan base). 
    Of course the basic logical conclusion is the "if you don't like the price don't buy it" argument, but that's not really the answer when the question is "is this right?".
     I think employee wages and working conditions are really important, more important than my access to music. But I also don't think that anyone in the Chain that brought the Angel Olsen album to release, is working in conditions they shouldn't be for too little money. Maybe that makes me naive. I'm open to someone with more knowledge of the process telling me otherwise.
    For the time being, I can only assume that the price point is set at the maximum amount that they (I'm not even sure who they are , the label? Distributor, band? Do the band even know what the price is?) think they can get people to pay for it. If that's the case, I don't think I'm ok with that.
    This isn't just people moaning amount things that cannot be changed, it's part of a bigger discussion about how we, the consumers, are treated. And that's what this place is here for, discussions.

Totally agree, £40 for a new 2 LP here in the UK is really hard to justify. Almost certain this will be pressed in Europe so not an import. Thought Lets Play Two was pricey at £30-35 when it came out. It was £12.99 on vinyl the other month from the labels digital stores so sensible head says just wait.

People saying its a reasonable price then thats your opinion but dont mock people for saying its too much.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    mcgruff10 said:
    MedozK said:
    jeffbr said:
    Came here for the complaints about PJ dot com charging $12 to ship the record.

Maybe I'm early...?
    Ha, that's my complaint, but I am mostly done bitching about shipping. Instead, I just don't order from 10c unless it is something exclusive. I ordered Gigaton from Amazon, so I immediately saved $12 (the silly shipping charge), I'll likely get the record sooner since 10c loves to send their shipments via Mail Innovations on a tour of the surrounding counties and states, and I'll also get the digital files in my Amazon library on release day. Not sure why I'd want to order it from 10c.
    Yeah, kinda kicking myself for not doing the same.  I'll pay $13 more than everyone else, and get the album 2 weeks after release now. It's like I'm a glutton for my own punishment.
    We really deep down want to support 10C, but they make it really hard some time.

They make it very hard.  Absurd shipping prices for extremely slow shipping.
    That s why I chose amazon this time.  
    Yeah I'm going to try to cancel it and get it through amazon like I did with lets play two vinyl.  I just got all excited when they announced the album and ordered it right away!
    apirk72 said:
    Sounds like some of you should shop at different record stores.  Retail seems to be $34.99 anything over that is probably on the shop not the band
    Ive see one place in the UK list it as £29.99. The rest around  £40, $55usd
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    I'm still scared from I think it was Avocado when for the only time I did order from Amazon and didnt get the free bootleg. Now I feel like there's a reason to order via 10C, but in the end there never really is. Unless you just like spending more money.
  • disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    10c sometimes throws in random variants, and I think that's why people order from them. That's why I used to pay more from them anyway, so I can only assume others have like minds. I don't fall for that anymore though.
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 2,978
    Even though I think that $34.99 is an unjustifiably high price for an LP, I don't really have a complaint about it since this is essentially a luxury item and not an issue of access.  If you want the music, you can purchase it on CD or as a download for a much lower price (and the band will presumably make it available for free on YouTube).
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,072
    silva said:

For the time being, I can only assume that the price point is set at the maximum amount that they ... think they can get people to pay for it. If that's the case, I don't think I'm ok with that.

That is exactly what any rational businessperson does. Price it too low or too high and you're hurting the company by leaving money on the table. I don't understand the comments that a particular price point cannot be "justified." Because it's more than records cost 20 years ago? If people buy it, then the price is clearly justified. 
  • How come the new vinyl is so expensive ? 

34.99$ US ?

I hope there is no song about capitalism on their new album., because I will need good explanations ! 

Sorry.. I have been buying and collecting records for the last 15 years, and now prices don't make senses anymore. 

my opinion... 

They have to cover all their social media & cell phone app promotion costs.
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
  • SHZA said:
    silva said:

For the time being, I can only assume that the price point is set at the maximum amount that they ... think they can get people to pay for it. If that's the case, I don't think I'm ok with that.

That is exactly what any rational businessperson does. Price it too low or too high and you're hurting the company by leaving money on the table. I don't understand the comments that a particular price point cannot be "justified." Because it's more than records cost 20 years ago? If people buy it, then the price is clearly justified. 

People buy scalped tickets but rarely is the price justified.
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
  • SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,072
    edited February 2020
    SHZA said:
    silva said:

People buy scalped tickets but rarely is the price justified.
    Just because you personally couldn't justify paying it doesn't make the price unjustified. Different people value experiences differently. That's the whole reason premium seats can fetch a premium price while some people are happy with a more affordable price for the nosebleeds.
    Post edited by SHZA on
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    How come the new vinyl is so expensive ? 

34.99$ US ?

I hope there is no song about capitalism on their new album., because I will need good explanations ! 

Sorry.. I have been buying and collecting records for the last 15 years, and now prices don't make senses anymore. 

my opinion... 

They have to cover all their social media & cell phone app promotion costs.
    Pretty sure they are doing the opposite of paying for the cell phone app nonsense 
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • BF25394 said:
    Even though I think that $34.99 is an unjustifiably high price for an LP, I don't really have a complaint about it since this is essentially a luxury item and not an issue of access.  If you want the music, you can purchase it on CD or as a download for a much lower price (and the band will presumably make it available for free on YouTube).
    Get out of here with your common sense!
    Dallas 2013 
    Wrigley 2016 Night 1
    Wrigley 2016 Night 2
    MSG 2020
    OKC 2020

• SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,993
    I have no problem paying a little more through 10 club. This band gives me so much, and such good value with the concert tickets through the fan club. Paying a little more for the vinyl isn't even a blip on the radar in the grand scheme of things.
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758
    Image result for weird protest signs
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited February 2020
    PB11041 said:

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    PB11041 said:

This Guy Protests Annoying Everyday Things With Hilarious Signs 21 Pics

• PB11041 said:
    PB11041 said:

This Guy Protests Annoying Everyday Things With Hilarious Signs 21 Pics

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

BF25394 said:
    Agree that it is a luxury item and other ways to buy or hear it. Its a choice.

However looking purely at how much it costs it is very expensive for a new record compared to every new 2LP I think Ive bought in the last 6 months. Average price to buy the EU pressing here in Europe is the equivalent of $46 - $52 before shipping costs. As a better comparison to the reissues Ive cited,  I bought the EU press of Billy Corgans new 2LP with embossed gatefold sleeve and coloured vinyl for the equivalent of $28. 

Would everyone in the US be thinking its fine if it was $50? Im looking at $35 thinking that its a lot cheaper to buy this in the US.

• I just don't want anyone crying when the 10c Gigaton purchasers get their album on iceberg white vinyl....Iceberg white is a semitransparent white vinyl with flecks of blue and silver in it....truly majestic....
    It also come with one of those IOU booklets (like you gave your mom on her birthday before you made money mowing lawns)....good for a free day of skating with Jeff, surfing with Boom and Eddie, or a cup of PJ20 coffee with Stone--sorry...only one choice per customer....
  • Btw---ironically my fortune cookie from takeout Chinese food today just read "Your hard work is about to pay off in an impactful way" ....this for a guy who is spending part of his work day posting to a PJ Forum board.....also, my spellcheck is indicating that impactful is not a word....
  • Their web site sends me to their store at UniversalMusic.

49.99$ Canadian ( 38$ US ). So it's even more expensive there. 

Yeah.. deal of the year ! 

-"it's times like these you have to ask yourself, "what would mike mccready do"
  • I also had a fortune cookie that said "An old friend will introduce you to new pleasures."

What do you think that means? Is it even Pearl Jam related?
    Image result for terrible fortune cookies

• The pre order price for Gigaton from JB Hifi in Australia is $77.99 for vinyl, $42.99 for CD.
    Our dollar is in the toilet at the moment. We really do get burnt in Oz.
    Suzyntheq said:
    The pre order price for Gigaton from JB Hifi in Australia is $77.99 for vinyl, $42.99 for CD.
    Our dollar is in the toilet at the moment. We really do get burnt in Oz.
    Jesus, how much do concert tickets go for? 

• GA tickets last November for U2 were $126.35. 
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,330
    Their web site sends me to their store at UniversalMusic.

49.99$ Canadian ( 38$ US ). So it's even more expensive there. 

Yeah.. deal of the year ! 

Cheapest price in Canada I found the Gigaton vinyl is $43.75 free shipping @ Amazon Canada.