Options

Dorky stuff about the Universe

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,213

Jason P said:

Tonight will be the darkest night of the past 500 years

The Earth's shadow will begin to blot out the moon at 1:32 a.m. EST (10:32 p.m. PST). During totality, when the Earth is directly between the moon and the sun, the moon will turn a rusty orange-red for 72 minutes from 2:41 a.m. to 3:53 a.m. EST (11:41 p.m. to 12:53 a.m. PST).
    Europe and Africa will only get a partial view of the eclipse, but for those of us here in the Americas the best times to watch are during those 72 minutes of totality.

io9.gizmodo.com/5715413/tonight-will-be-the-darkest-night-of-the-past-500-years

Wow!

But it will probably be cloudy and rainy here as usual, obscuring any view.
    Anyone else notice the article date is from 2010?
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,835
    Jason P said:

If a Star Destroyer going at warp speed set it's coordinates to slam into a planet, wouldn't it cause global extinction and negate the need to build a Death Star?

Think about it. Man, the empire could have used a guy like me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskScienceFiction/comments/32xkh1/star_warswould_a_planet_survive_a_star_destroyer/

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    edited January 2017
  • Options
    Below is a link to JunoCam which took that picture. You can actively participate in the mission

https://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/junocam
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    New pic of Jupiter's north pole

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    Jason P said:

New pic of Jupiter's north pole

If I squint I think I can see Santa....
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

Very interesting.  If it is from an advanced civilization, they are probably long gone by now.

A mysterious object in a galaxy 500 million light-years away is confusing scientists with its signals. It appears to be transmitting signals that reach Earth in a repeating, 16-day pattern, but researchers have no idea why.

According to a recent study, this marks the first time astronomers have detected a reliable pattern in the signals, known as fast radio bursts, or FRBs. It's an important step in figuring out where the bursts originate from.

Before now, such pulses appeared to be random in timing. That changed when the Canadian Hydrogen Intensity Mapping Experiment Fast Radio Burst Project (CHIME/FRB) discovered a repeating pattern.

The recently detected FRB, known as FRB 180916.J0158+65, sends out bursts that last for four days before stopping for 12 days and then repeating. The first 28 cycles were observed between September 2018 and October 2019 using the CHIME radio telescope in British Columbia.

"We conclude that this is the first detected periodicity of any kind in an FRB source," the study's authors said. "The discovery of a 16.35-day periodicity in a repeating FRB source is an important clue to the nature of this object."

https://www.wibw.com/content/news/A-mysterious-deep-space-radio-burst-is-sending-signals-to-Earth-every-16-days-567811321.html

• Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    NASA released an updated version of the famous "Pale Blue Dot" image of Earth taken by Voyager to celebrate the photograph's 30th anniversary.
    (Image: © NASA/JPL-Caltech)

On Feb. 14, 1990, NASA's Voyager 1 spacecraft captured one of the most iconic photographs of the space age; to commemorate the moment's 30th anniversary, NASA has digitally dusted off the image.

Known as the "Pale Blue Dot" photo, the original image showed Earth as a tiny speck within a band of brightness caused by sunlight striking the spacecraft's instrument. The photograph was the result of a campaign led by scientist Carl Sagan to convince NASA to turn Voyager 1 around and take a photo of the planet where its story began. Just 34 minutes later, according to NASA, the spacecraft's camera shut down so the probe could save power.

"The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    Please explain: do the trillions of neutrinos that pass through our bodies each day go through us and the earth and come out the other side and vice versa?
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Please explain: do the trillions of neutrinos that pass through our bodies each day go through us and the earth and come out the other side and vice versa?
    I'm not a scientist but I play one on TV ... Neutrinos are the smallest element that we know of, so our DNA makeup could stop them from passing through.  Same goes with Earth.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Quarks are smaller than neutrinos...even still, I'm not sure whether or not they would pass through the core.  It's pretty hot and dense...
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
  • Options
    And speaking of Cherenkov Radiation, I just read this a few weeks ago since I'm in the vision biz...nice coincidence!

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-elusive-phenomenon-of-light-flashing-from-human-eyes-has-been-captured-for-the-first-time/amp