RIP Kobe Bryant

Comments

• ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
    edited January 2020
    Mike’s 56 year old father was murdered 11 weeks before he announced his first retirement.

Wasn’t a suspension.
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    The problem with Jordan is that... I think it's pretty commonly accepted that he was suspended from the NBA for gambling.  It's the only thing that makes sense.  Lebron is clean as a whistle.  People can complain about lots of things on the court about complaining to the refs, or whatever, but what you cannot do is credibly criticize him as a human.  If you think about the scrutiny he's been under since he was a teenager, it's pretty damn impressive.  
    Lol, fake news on Jordan... cmon suspended..lol
    You've never heard that? 
    Hahhahahahahaha. Dude, come on. This is a long-running joke for people. I can’t believe you’d consider it to be true.  David Stern would have personally sucked MJ’s dick in his minor league baseball dugout to get him to return to the NBA sooner. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    The problem with Jordan is that... I think it's pretty commonly accepted that he was suspended from the NBA for gambling.  It's the only thing that makes sense.  Lebron is clean as a whistle.  People can complain about lots of things on the court about complaining to the refs, or whatever, but what you cannot do is credibly criticize him as a human.  If you think about the scrutiny he's been under since he was a teenager, it's pretty damn impressive.  
    Lol, fake news on Jordan... cmon suspended..lol
    You've never heard that? 
    Hahhahahahahaha. Dude, come on. This is a long-running joke for people. I can’t believe you’d consider it to be true.  David Stern would have personally sucked MJ’s dick in his minor league baseball dugout to get him to return to the NBA sooner. 
    Isn't that why MJ returned?
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,383
    mrussel1 said:

"Pretty commonly accepted" is a huge reach.

I've heard of the conspiracy, and I think there may be something there, but I don't know a single person who believes it as a fact.

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    mrussel1 said:

I've heard of the conspiracy, and I think there may be something there, but I don't know a single person who believes it as a fact.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but three years shleping in minor league baseball doesn't make any sense.  I believe Stern had to do something, but did not want to damage the game. That's my opinion.  I'm certainly not interested in getting into a long discussion on it, because it will go nowhere.  But I think the argument has merit and there are plenty of non-lunatics that believe it to be somewhere between possible and likely.  
    Either way, put Lebron  on there when he retires.  
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but three years shleping in minor league baseball doesn't make any sense.  I believe Stern had to do something, but did not want to damage the game. That's my opinion.  I'm certainly not interested in getting into a long discussion on it, because it will go nowhere.  But I think the argument has merit and there are plenty of non-lunatics that believe it to be somewhere between possible and likely.  

I don't think it's without merit either, but to say it's "pretty commonly accepted" is a reach.

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I don't think it's without merit either, but to say it's "pretty commonly accepted" is a reach.

I talked to my brother and he agreed.  Ergo, it's unanimous using the statistically significant sample of 2, with a MOE of 99%.  
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    Having a parent murdered the way MJ's dad was, would probably have me thinking that life's too short.  More power to him for at least trying to fulfill his potential on baseball.  Tragedy's put a lot of us in situations where we start to try to appreciate life for more than we typically do.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I talked to my brother and he agreed.  Ergo, it's unanimous using the statistically significant sample of 2, with a MOE of 99%.  
    Gotcha.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    A fair number of high profile athletes desired to be two sport professionals at the time (Bo, Deion, MJ and I'm sure I'm missing some).  MJ was arguably the best athlete on the planet and wanted to show he could join those ranks.  It didn't have anything to do with gambling.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Gambling had nothing to do with Pete retiring temporarily and then coming back to play basketball with Washington.  I’d bet someone that said otherwise. 
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• ed243421 said:
    I don't want to make this Kobe thread into a thread about Michael's baseball career.....because I can talk about his baseball career for days. I loved it. My thought at the time was he was too good for everyone else in the NBA, so he was trying to give himself a new challenge, largely because of his and his recently murdered father's love of baseball. And was on his way to being a serviceable major leaguer too. Sure he would have batted 9th and played right field...but maybe he'd work his way to batting 8th, or even 7th.

I didn't click your link so this off the top of my head, but after not playing baseball for over 10 years, and hopping into professional double-A ball, he batted .202 with 3 HRs, 50 RBIs, and 30 stolen bases. And that average skews low because in his first month or so, he really, really struggled against breaking balls. But can ya blame him? These are pitchers that can be called up to MLB in a moment's notice. Following his season with the Birmingham Barons, he played for a fall league team called the Scorpions and batted over .250 (maybe even over .260, I can't remember). People that dismiss his baseball tenure as some sort of joke just don't get it, or maybe just don't get him. And anyone that thinks he played baseball because of some NBA suspension is just gullible to conspiracy theories. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    ed243421 said:
    I don't want to make this Kobe thread into a thread about Michael's baseball career.....because I can talk about his baseball career for days. I loved it. My thought at the time was he was too good for everyone else in the NBA, so he was trying to give himself a new challenge, largely because of his and his recently murdered father's love of baseball. And was on his way to being a serviceable major leaguer too. Sure he would have batted 9th and played right field...but maybe he'd work his way to batting 8th, or even 7th.

I didn't click your link so this off the top of my head, but after not playing baseball for over 10 years, and hopping into professional double-A ball, he batted .202 with 3 HRs, 50 RBIs, and 30 stolen bases. And that average skews low because in his first month or so, he really, really struggled against breaking balls. But can ya blame him? These are pitchers that can be called up to MLB in a moment's notice. Following his season with the Birmingham Barons, he played for a fall league team called the Scorpions and batted over .250 (maybe even over .260, I can't remember). People that dismiss his baseball tenure as some sort of joke just don't get it, or maybe just don't get him. And anyone that thinks he played baseball because of some NBA suspension is just gullible to conspiracy theories. 
    Sorano couldn't hit a curve ball either, until he told Jobu to fuck off.  

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/131997-mjs-1st-retirement-was-it-a-secret-suspension
  • ed243421 said:
    His baseball career was not promising...  Interesting article but no, I didn't buy it then and I am not romanticizing it now...
  • mrussel1 said:
    ed243421 said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/131997-mjs-1st-retirement-was-it-a-secret-suspension
    To me, that article is tantamount to an article explaining why the Earth is flat. If you wanna believe either, go ahead. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    mrussel1 said:
    ed243421 said:

I thought you meant Alfonso until you mentioned Jobu.  You would have been correct there as well.  ;)

edited January 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    ed243421 said:

To me, that article is tantamount to an article explaining why the Earth is flat. If you wanna believe either, go ahead. 
    Hardly... because as I said in the Dem thread, there's empirical evidence on the Earth.  There is not here.  

To me it's more like the multi-shooter/CIA theories on Kennedy.  Is it true?  Probably not.  Could it be true?  Absolutely.  
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    ed243421 said:

Get out of here with this shit. He was never going to play in the majors and really just took potential opportunities for actual talent to break through. Only got his spot because he’s MJ. 

Funny the conspiracy thing came up. I just watched a video on YouTube about it this morning. Don’t think he was suspended but I think his gambling issues and possibly a discussion between he and Stern combined with all the other aspects played a part. The video said that Jordan’s dad wasn’t report missing for almost a month, and his birthday was during that time. Seems strange.

Always great to see what conspiracies that pop up with these types of events. Have a buddy that buys into some pretty zany stuff.
  • DewieCox said:
    ed243421 said:

Get out of here with this shit. He was never going to play in the majors and really just took potential opportunities for actual talent to break through. Only got his spot because he’s MJ. 

Funny the conspiracy thing came up. I just watched a video on YouTube about it this morning. Don’t think he was suspended but I think his gambling issues and possibly a discussion between he and Stern combined with all the other aspects played a part. The video said that Jordan’s dad wasn’t report missing for almost a month, and his birthday was during that time. Seems strange.

Always great to see what conspiracies that pop up with these types of events. Have a buddy that buys into some pretty zany stuff.
    I don't disagree that being MJ would be reason #1 why the White Sox would ever consider bringing him up. But I truly think he could have held his own for a few years as a very low-level MLB player. 

And too bad for any potential Birmingham Barons right-fielders that had that spot taken away for a year. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    DewieCox said:
    ed243421 said:

Yes, I agree with this.  I'm not necessarily saying that Stern actually suspended him.  That's a poor choice of words on my part.  But an agreement to exit the sport, close the investigation, etc. is entirely within the realm of possibility.  Think of it as a mutual walk away, let the heat blow over.  
  • mrussel1 said:
    DewieCox said:
    ed243421 said:

Yes, I agree with this.  I'm not necessarily saying that Stern actually suspended him.  That's a poor choice of words on my part.  But an agreement to exit the sport, close the investigation, etc. is entirely within the realm of possibility.  Think of it as a mutual walk away, let the heat blow over.  
    Thing is, there was never any "heat".

If a story was there it would have come out by now and not just the depths of conspiracy theorists on youtube.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I think it was more of a preemptive response in that respect. More, putting some space between the league and Jordan and his seemingly runaway gambling issue. 

There was definitely some heat on him. Whether they could find anything punishabld is  another conversation hut any ties to gambling of the magnitude he took part in  are generally a bad look for any pro athlete, let alone the face of American sports. I think there has to be more to his retirement than some dream to play baseball or his dad seeing  his last game or lack of competition in the NBA. 
    mrussel1 said:
    DewieCox said:
    ed243421 said:

If a story was there it would have come out by now and not just the depths of conspiracy theorists on youtube.
    It was my understanding that there was an NBA investigation in action.  
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited January 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    DewieCox said:
    ed243421 said:

A great example of fake news.

Post edited by MedozK on
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    DewieCox said:
    ed243421 said:

Not according to a contemporaneous account from the NY times or the statement by Stern.  https://www.nytimes.com/1993/10/09/sports/nba-probe-clears-jordan.html
  • mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    DewieCox said:
    ed243421 said:

Not according to a contemporaneous account from the NY times or the statement by Stern.  https://www.nytimes.com/1993/10/09/sports/nba-probe-clears-jordan.html
    This isn't heat.  I remember when this went down too.  EVERYONE knew Jordan was a competitor and gambling man.  He would bet 25k on a damn putt.

The rumors started to fly after he retired but never grew any legs.
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    DewieCox said:
    ed243421 said:

This isn't heat.  I remember when this went down too.  EVERYONE knew Jordan was a competitor and gambling man.  He would bet 25k on a damn putt.

The rumors started to fly after he retired but never grew any legs.
    Well it's an investigation.  You're arguing the semantics of my slang.  Either way,  it's not fake news. 
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Just ways to try and make ones favorite athlete better than others, by trying to find negative things about others... very Trumpesque. 
    MedozK said:
    Just ways to try and make ones favorite athlete better than others, by trying to find negative things about others... very Trumpesque. 
    Oh give me a break.  You think this is what I do? Im a Lebron guy because im from Cleveland,  but I don't take anything from Jordan's game.  It's also not like any of us have influence.  We're just shooting the shit on a rock band board.