RIP Kobe Bryant

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:
    They’re airing his final game where he went for 60  on ESPN right now. 

that was a damn joke. he jacked up 70 shots. I watched as a Jazz fan. As I remember, that loss may have eliminated the jazz from the playoffs.
    50...but, yeah, still an inefficient performance. He was always a high volume, inefficient scorer. Fitting way to go out.

my bad. I added FGA and 3’s attempted. I guess 3’s figure in the FGA.

yesterday, I heard people comparing the decision to play games to the post JKK assassination and post 9/11 decisions. come on! kobe’s death hardly approaches those tragedies, IMO. 
    Heard that too.  People being upset that games weren't rescheduled is just ridiculous.

I really appreciated the dribble out by both teams to start the games.  That was ultimate class.  That will be talked about wayyyy more than rescheduling the game.  People lived that moment for Kobe.

This is not a JFK or 9/11 worthy moment.
    No not even close but I do understand why they canceled the game in LA last night.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Still just extremely bummed. 
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

that was a damn joke. he jacked up 70 shots. I watched as a Jazz fan. As I remember, that loss may have eliminated the jazz from the playoffs.
    50...but, yeah, still an inefficient performance. He was always a high volume, inefficient scorer. Fitting way to go out.

yesterday, I heard people comparing the decision to play games to the post JKK assassination and post 9/11 decisions. come on! kobe’s death hardly approaches those tragedies, IMO. 
    Heard that too.  People being upset that games weren't rescheduled is just ridiculous.

I really appreciated the dribble out by both teams to start the games.  That was ultimate class.  That will be talked about wayyyy more than rescheduling the game.  People lived that moment for Kobe.

I think it had more to do with the players than the fans. I can see how the players did not want to play, especially on Sunday.  I could have seen the games on Sunday night canceled and wouldn't have had a problem with it. 
  • pjhawks said:
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

I think it had more to do with the players than the fans. I can see how the players did not want to play, especially on Sunday.  I could have seen the games on Sunday night canceled and wouldn't have had a problem with it. 
    I've never seen a reaction like this from people over the loss of a sports star.

It is beyond me.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    There’s a petition to change the NBA logo to Kobe’s silhouette. 

Normally these things are a little too reactionary but what he did for the game globally was immeasurable. 
    Oh boy, now that’s quite a knee jerk reaction.
  • DewieCox said:

Normally these things are a little too reactionary but what he did for the game globally was immeasurable. 
    OMG really?

Only if it's from his rookie year when he had that bitchen afro.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    edited January 2020
    pjhawks said:
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

I've never seen a reaction like this from people over the loss of a sports star.

It is beyond me.
    It is beyond a lot of people. But for my cousin who was born, raised, and still lives in L.A. this is heartbreaking. He grew up a Lakers fan and has had season tickets with his dad since he was a kid. He grew up idolizing the Lakers in general and Kobe in particular. 
    Here's the tribute video me made for Kobe's retirement with one of his songs....

https://youtu.be/IEpejS9mdz0

• pjhawks said:
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

It is beyond me.
    It is beyond a lot of people. But for my cousin who was born, raised, and still lives in L.A. this is heartbreaking. He grew up a Lakers fan and has had season tickets with his dad since he was a kid. He grew up idolizing the Lakers in general and Kobe in particular. 
    Here's the tribute video me made for Kobe's retirement with one of his songs....

https://youtu.be/IEpejS9mdz0

Lakers fan here since Showtime days.  Lived there.  Hated Kobe, so there is that.

I made the comment above that it is "beyond me" in that ANY person in sports would not have this effect on me.

I'll check out the video.
  • @Bentleyspop tell your cousin he did a great job on the video.  I remember watching Kobe's first playoff game and him wanting the ball and MISSING!!!  Glad he showed that and what kind of a player he became.  Again, I hated Kobe but there is no denying on how good he was.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387
    DewieCox said:

Agreed.

• Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    DewieCox said:

Agreed.

There's only one individual worthy of replacing Jerry West as the logo, and with all due respect it is not Kobe Bryant.

I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
    DewieCox said:

Agreed.

There's only one individual worthy of replacing Jerry West as the logo, and with all due respect it is not Kobe Bryant.

MJ?
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    mcgruff10 said:
    DewieCox said:

Agreed.

MJ?
    Stockton?

LEBRON!  DAMN RIGHT. 
    edited January 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    DewieCox said:

Agreed.

MJ?
    Stockton?

LEBRON!  DAMN RIGHT. 
    I freaking loved John Stockton.    I sat next to Patrick Ewing on a plane.  One of the coolest moments of my life.  Dude was so nice and holy shit his head actually hit the ceiling of the plane lol.  
    edited January 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    DewieCox said:

Agreed.

MJ?
    Stockton?

LEBRON!  DAMN RIGHT. 
    Nope, Detlef Schrempf...j/k

Post edited by Glorified KC on
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    DewieCox said:

Agreed.

MJ?
    Stockton?

LEBRON!  DAMN RIGHT. 

Chris Dudley
    The problem with Jordan is that... I think it's pretty commonly accepted that he was suspended from the NBA for gambling.  It's the only thing that makes sense.  Lebron is clean as a whistle.  People can complain about lots of things on the court about complaining to the refs, or whatever, but what you cannot do is credibly criticize him as a human.  If you think about the scrutiny he's been under since he was a teenager, it's pretty damn impressive.  
    The real verdict here is, leave the logo as it is.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    totally. changing it is a silly idea, in my mind. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

totally. changing it is a silly idea, in my mind. 
    I thought West wanted off.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    I wonder what the value of the current NBA logo is?  I'm sure some bean counter has assigned a value to it.  If you think about it, the major sports leagues' logos in the world may have the most value of anything because a major corporation like Coca Cola or Nike will pay them a shitload of money to put their logo next to the league logo.

So will the NBA make a change to the logo?  Well, I'm sure the bean counters are working to determine potential value and risk involved.  I doubt there is.  
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    DewieCox said:

Agreed.

MJ?
    Stockton?

LEBRON!  DAMN RIGHT. 

Chris Dudley

Air balling a free throw
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Jason P said:
    I wonder what the value of the current NBA logo is?  I'm sure some bean counter has assigned a value to it.  If you think about it, the major sports leagues' logos in the world may have the most value of anything because a major corporation like Coca Cola or Nike will pay them a shitload of money to put their logo next to the league logo.

So will the NBA make a change to the logo?  Well, I'm sure the bean counters are working to determine potential value and risk involved.  I doubt there is.  
    NBA and MLB logos are very easily recognizable.  Any ideas what the NFL or NHL are?
  • mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    DewieCox said:

Agreed.

MJ?
    Stockton?

LEBRON!  DAMN RIGHT. 

In some ways...this is the official NBA logo. Of at least the official basketball logo. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    DewieCox said:

Agreed.

MJ?
    Stockton?

LEBRON!  DAMN RIGHT. 

Chris Dudley

Air balling a free throw
    That would be hilarious
    edited January 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    DewieCox said:

Agreed.

MJ?
    Stockton?

LEBRON!  DAMN RIGHT. 

Chris Dudley

Air balling a free throw
    That would be hilarious
    I wonder who would win a FT contest between him and Deandre Jordan.
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    mrussel1 said:
    The problem with Jordan is that... I think it's pretty commonly accepted that he was suspended from the NBA for gambling.  It's the only thing that makes sense.  Lebron is clean as a whistle.  People can complain about lots of things on the court about complaining to the refs, or whatever, but what you cannot do is credibly criticize him as a human.  If you think about the scrutiny he's been under since he was a teenager, it's pretty damn impressive.  
    Lol, fake news on Jordan... cmon suspended..lol
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    You've never heard that? 
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    You've never heard that? 
    I've heard it but I don't think it makes much sense, nor do I believe it is commonly accepted as being true. Jordan was a gambler and maybe he had a problem, but Stern secretly suspending him to cover it up makes no sense at all as far as cover ups go. You don't shine a big bright light on the thing you are trying to hide. Jordan's retirement became a huge story, as did his attempt to play baseball. There was press following him around everywhere. If it ever came out that the NBA had suspended him for gambling AND the league was trying to hide that fact, it would be so much worse them.

If you were to try and orchestrate something like this, faking an injury is the way to go. Guys get hurt all the time and drop out of the public eye while they recover. A secret suspension is way too risky.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    You've never heard that? 
    Yep, I have also heard of big foot.