RIP Kobe Bryant

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    mrussel1 said:
    Who were the other 7 people that were on the helicopter crash?  The news doesn't mention them...
    The Post did a really nice write up about each person.  I can link later if you can't find it. 
    Finally some newsgroup did this and the Post of all places?
    I'm a big fan of the Post.  
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/01/27/victims-calabasas-helicopter-crash/
  • RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    Renfield said:
    Victims of the Calabasas helicopter crash: Christina Mauser, Ara Zobayan, Altobelli family - The Washington Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/01/27/victims-calabasas-helicopter-crash/
    @tempo_n_groove
  • RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    Empire State Building tonight

• Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    RIP Kobe. So tragic. So sad. I feel for all families involved. 😢
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    mrussel1 said:
    Who were the other 7 people that were on the helicopter crash?  The news doesn't mention them...
    The Post did a really nice write up about each person.  I can link later if you can't find it. 
    Finally some newsgroup did this and the Post of all places?
    I’ve seen their names posted a bunch of places
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    This is kinda freaky. We all know he went to Lower Merion High school, although i'm not sure if he went to their elementary school or middle school (since I'm guessing that is where he would have been when this tragedy happened).

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    RIP to all 9 people. Even with his stature once I heard about his death, one of the 1st things I thought of was his incident. It's part of the conversation whether you like it or not. Nobody'd perfect. 
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    They’re airing his final game where he went for 60  on ESPN right now. 

that was a damn joke. he jacked up 70 shots. I watched as a Jazz fan. As I remember, that loss may have eliminated the jazz from the playoffs.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    Very sad of what happened to him, his daughter and the 7 other people on that aircraft.  I've always been jaded against Bryant since what happened in CO in 2003, so I've never held him in high regard the way I did Jordan.  Although seeing a lot of the reaction from athletes and fans, he had a Jordan-like influence in many ways. 
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384
    edited January 2020
    I’ve never been a Kobe fan, but am happy to see stories like this... we need a LOT more of this (& stories like this change my perspective on him):

https://twitter.com/thescottcharles/status/1221575207762235392?s=21

I appreciate these stories a lot more then the media talking about how nice he was to them. I really don’t care if he called Jim Grey on his birthday. That only tells me Kobe was smart & knew how to play them. 
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    edited January 2020
    Wobbie said:

that was a damn joke. he jacked up 70 shots. I watched as a Jazz fan. As I remember, that loss may have eliminated the jazz from the playoffs.
    50...but, yeah, still an inefficient performance. He was always a high volume, inefficient scorer. Fitting way to go out.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    Very sad of what happened to him, his daughter and the 7 other people on that aircraft.  I've always been jaded against Bryant since what happened in CO in 2003, so I've never held him in high regard the way I did Jordan.  Although seeing a lot of the reaction from athletes and fans, he had a Jordan-like influence in many ways. 
    Jordan wasn't always a model citizen, though obviously no allegations as serious as Kobe. I like the thinking of Charles Barkley when it comes to athletes and their perception in the public eye, "I'm no role model". 
    Kobe in the 2nd act of his life was a great ambassador for basketball, specifically women's basketball, and a number of other things. But kids should look up much more to the real influences in their lives like their parents, teachers etc. and not guys they see on TV dunking basketballs or scoring touchdowns.
    This is a horrible tragedy. Three 13 year old girls lost their lives before they really even started. 4 families have lost at least one parent (one lost both). That's what the focus should be. If its just some LA businessman who chartered the chopper, its a big story in SoCal and a blip elsewhere, because its a world famous athlete, we all hear about it and we should all grieve for all who were lost and their families.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    edited January 2020
    Welp. The first half of this thread was good, then it turned real quick
    Post edited by crookedcross on
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Seems that the pilot's decision to fly through the fog was questionable, at best, and may have proved to be a fatal one.  Frightening stuff.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    bbiggs said:
    Seems that the pilot's decision to fly through the fog was questionable, at best, and may have proved to be a fatal one.  Frightening stuff.
    Yeah the 2 articles I read this morning make it sound like the last minutes of these peoples' lives were absolutely terrifying. Rapid climb followed by more rapid descent then boom.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,012
    speed was the culprit, Pilot could have moved at a snails pace (15mph) but was going much too fast

RIP to ALL the victims
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Yeah, was hoping it wasn't a drawn out thing and they weren't anticipating what happened, especially with the kids, but doesn't sound like that was the case.  Horrible.
    CROJAM95 said:
    speed was the culprit, Pilot could have moved at a snails pace (15mph) but was going much too fast

RIP to ALL the victims

Speed aside, my understanding is that the pilot was not licensed to fly "instrument only," meaning the use of the machine's devices only in lieu of visibility.  I'm no pilot, so I may be off on some of the terminology.  In any case, if he wasn't authorized to fly using those methods, and wasn't authorized to fly in that airspace, given the heavy fog, it sounds like he made the fatal call to ignore both.  The outcome is tragic, no matter the cause, but I guess you'd rather hear it was mechanical failure rather than user error that took 9 lives.
    bbiggs said:
    CROJAM95 said:

RIP to ALL the victims

Speed aside, my understanding is that the pilot was not licensed to fly "instrument only," meaning the use of the machine's devices only in lieu of visibility.  I'm no pilot, so I may be off on some of the terminology.  In any case, if he wasn't authorized to fly using those methods, and wasn't authorized to fly in that airspace, given the heavy fog, it sounds like he made the fatal call to ignore both.  The outcome is tragic, no matter the cause, but I guess you'd rather hear it was mechanical failure rather than user error that took 9 lives.
    I'm not a pilot, but I think that it was IFR (instrument flight rules) in effect, but he requested that he use VFR (visual).  It was approved but because he was using visual only (which is faster), he failed to see the change in the landscape.  The pilot was licensed in either, and considering he was an instructor, I don't see how he could teach without being rated for IFR
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    He was instrument only licensed.  Definitely seems like pilot error though.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    I don't know what happened and this is not an attack on anyone, but this wouldn't be the first time a VIP told a driver or a pilot, "We're late. just get us there."

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Renfield said:
    Renfield said:
    Victims of the Calabasas helicopter crash: Christina Mauser, Ara Zobayan, Altobelli family - The Washington Post
    @tempo_n_groove
    TY.  Read about the coach earlier today.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    edited January 2020
    You can't change the past, so I'd rather it be human error that pilots can learn from than the safety of the helicopter being in question. 
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    edited January 2020
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    ^ Saw that. That’s some real emotion right there. 
  • bbiggs said:
    ^ Saw that. That’s some real emotion right there. 
    I watched up until West went on.  It was painful to watch.  Not sure why you would want to watch people visibly upset and Ernie milking the situation.

This was in poor taste in my eyes.
    Did anyone watch the Real Sports (HBO) episode on Kobe last night?  I recorded but curious if it was worth the watch.  
  • mrussel1 said:
    Did anyone watch the Real Sports (HBO) episode on Kobe last night?  I recorded but curious if it was worth the watch.  
    Real Sports and E60 usually do really good jobs on reporting.  I will check that one out, thanks.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Wobbie said:

50...but, yeah, still an inefficient performance. He was always a high volume, inefficient scorer. Fitting way to go out.

my bad. I added FGA and 3’s attempted. I guess 3’s figure in the FGA.

yesterday, I heard people comparing the decision to play games to the post JKK assassination and post 9/11 decisions. come on! kobe’s death hardly approaches those tragedies, IMO. 
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

my bad. I added FGA and 3’s attempted. I guess 3’s figure in the FGA.

yesterday, I heard people comparing the decision to play games to the post JKK assassination and post 9/11 decisions. come on! kobe’s death hardly approaches those tragedies, IMO. 
    Heard that too.  People being upset that games weren't rescheduled is just ridiculous.

I really appreciated the dribble out by both teams to start the games.  That was ultimate class.  That will be talked about wayyyy more than rescheduling the game.  People lived that moment for Kobe.

This is not a JFK or 9/11 worthy moment.