Stereo Equipment, diagnosis and repair

mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412
edited January 2020 in Musicians and Gearheads
this may be a short lived thread or not , who knows.

Something was mentioned in another thread that brought this to mind.

I guess this would be intended for problem identification, solutions etc.

would be looking for home testing that may be possible...

to start on a couple vinyls, I have checked sound from right to left channel. A couple represses show diminished sound from the right. less pronounced but still present with an original press.

Havent checked with every lp I play but am seeing a trend.

What would some good places to look or check without getting crazy expensive.

80s era onkyo set up. TT has had belt replaced only. assume original cartridge and needle.
Receiver has had cover off for blowout of dust only.
Am 2nd owner, do not believe any work done on either.
_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
Post edited by mickeyrat on

Comments

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited January 2020
    If it’s only happening with phono, then it’s likely either your cartridge or your selector switch/knob. 

Edit: It could also be the cord, but you probably already ruled that out. 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    edited January 2020
    Checking the alignment of your cartridge should be the first step. You can download a free alignment tool from a number of places. The one from www.EnjoyTheMusic.com is really simple to use and works well for most situations. 

If that checks out fine or if you're having channel imbalance issues with other sources, such as a CD player, try swapping the speaker wires from the left to right and right to left. If the issue stays on the right side, you're likely dealing with a problem in the amp. If it moves to the left, check your speaker connections, wires and drivers/crossover in that speaker. 

If it's an amp problem, start by cleaning the pots, switches and jacks with electronic contact cleaner. I have had good luck with Deoxit D5 and I follow that up with G5 as a preservative and lubricant. 

If none of that helps, best to get it checked out by a tech or get out the schematic and meter for component testing, if you're interested in the DIY approach. 

I'd be happy to give you more detailed instructions if you'd like. Feel free to PM or post here.

Good luck!
    Post edited by dudeman on
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412
    dudeman said:
    Checking the alignment of your cartridge should be the first step. You can download a free alignment tool from a number of places. The one from www.EnjoyTheMusic.com is really simple to use and works well for most situations. 

If that checks out fine or if you're having channel imbalance issues with other sources, such as a CD player, try swapping the speaker wires from the left to right and right to left. If the issue stays on the right side, you're likely dealing with a problem in the amp. If it moves to the left, check your speaker connections, wires and drivers/crossover in that speaker. 

If it's an amp problem, start by cleaning the pots, switches and jacks with electronic contact cleaner. I have had good luck with Deoxit D5 and I follow that up with G5 as a preservative and lubricant. 

If none of that helps, best to get it checked out by a tech or get out the schematic and meter for component testing, if you're interested in the DIY approach. 

I'd be happy to give you more detailed instructions if you'd like. Feel free to PM or post here.

Good luck!
    thanks. will need to check the internal spkr connection too as I had them both out replacing the foam surround cushion due to dry rot ..
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    dankind said:
    If it’s only happening with phono, then it’s likely either your cartridge or your selector switch/knob. 

Edit: It could also be the cord, but you probably already ruled that out. 
    will check all that too. thanks.

edited March 2020
    Fuck, man. My Sansui receiver in my office immediately blows the left channel speaker fuse. I brought down my Fisher to replace it, and coincidentally, it’s doing the same damn thing. I’ve taken both apart and blown through every fuse in the house trying to diagnose, and cannot figure out the cause. 

This is going to be a long 18 months with no music in the office. Pretty sure my hi-fi guy is not taking work right now. Essential service means different things to different people. 

Fuck, fuck, fuckity, fuck, fuck, fuck!!!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited March 2020
    Sounds like you have a problem with your left speaker. Check the wire and crossover. Something is likely shorted in there.

What type and how many speakers are you running off of your amp?
    Post edited by dudeman on
    edited March 2020
    dudeman said:
    Sounds like you have a problem with your left speaker. Check the wire and crossover. Something is likely shorted in there.

Speaker is fine. Switched channels, and it was fine. 

Just a pair of Jensen-era Advents.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited March 2020
    dankind said:
    dudeman said:

I’ll probably just run some Audioengines with the Bellari tube until I can have my cranky old hi-fi guy (provided he survives the pandemic) look at the receivers. Not ideal, but music is vital. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited March 2020
    Triple post!!!

Arghhh!!!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited March 2020
    what are some decent, relatively inexpensive bookshelf speakers? would be shopping through best buy....
    I will need to get one for sure, but likely both floor speakers(vintage) looked at. I did do the foam surround repair on both of the base cones.

my right channel sounds terrible. but through headphones only everything sounds great.

side question, would TT dustcovers fit multiple models within that brand?

Post edited by mickeyrat on

dankind said:
    dudeman said:

Interesting. Quite a coincidence to have the same failure of two pieces of equipment at the same time. I hope you are able to get both repaired. Those old Sansui and Fisher receivers were awesome. 
    mickeyrat said:
    what are some decent, relatively inexpensive bookshelf speakers? would be shopping through best buy....
    I will need to get one for sure, but likely both floor speakers(vintage) looked at. I did do the foam surround repair on both of the base cones.

my right channel sounds terrible. but through headphones only everything sounds great.

I'm not sure what Best Buy is carrying these days but they used to carry Klipsch and Polk. Both companies make solid, great sounding speakers at various price points. 

Wharfedale, ELAC and Infinity all have great speakers too, and they cover the range from "affordable" to high end. Lots of great choices on the market. Budget is going to largely determine performance. Also, are you using a subwoofer? What size is the room? Mostly listening to rock music or do you also play jazz and classical?

As for dust covers, it depends on the brand. Some companies used the same plinth dimensions and hinges across their product lines. What TT do you have now?
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:

I'm not sure what Best Buy is carrying these days but they used to carry Klipsch and Polk. Both companies make solid, great sounding speakers at various price points. 

Wharfedale, ELAC and Infinity all have great speakers too, and they cover the range from "affordable" to high end. Lots of great choices on the market. Budget is going to largely determine performance. Also, are you using a subwoofer? What size is the room? Mostly listening to rock music or do you also play jazz and classical?

As for dust covers, it depends on the brand. Some companies used the same plinth dimensions and hinges across their product lines. What TT do you have now?
    Onkyo CP 1008A. saw a few on ebay
     one for a 1007 a 1017 1024? and so on.

listening to rock, some heavy and I am dabbling in jazz. older early pressing mono stuff in addition to stereo.

dudeman said:
    dankind said:
    dudeman said:

Interesting. Quite a coincidence to have the same failure of two pieces of equipment at the same time. I hope you are able to get both repaired. Those old Sansui and Fisher receivers were awesome. 
    That's what I thought. There is one slight difference: The left channel works for headphones in the Fisher but not the Sansui. The Fisher has a separate headphone switch, but I would think that the speaker/channel fuses would still need to be intact to power it. That line of thinking appears to be wrong.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    mickeyrat said:

I bought a pair of used Martin Logan 15's for $400.  
    Dustcover on the way. Just so happens the same cover fits model #s 1007 and 1008.....

now, having a speaker issue. With vinyl and bass heavy groups it sounds like the woofer is blown. Through headphones its fine.  switched speaker sides. other speaker is fine on either channel. that specific speaker with vinyl sounds blown on either channel. both in A or B positions......

Play a CD? perfect sound.

thoughts?

mickeyrat said:
    Dustcover on the way. Just so happens the same cover fits model #s 1007 and 1008.....

now, having a speaker issue. With vinyl and bass heavy groups it sounds like the woofer is blown. Through headphones its fine.  switched speaker sides. other speaker is fine on either channel. that specific speaker with vinyl sounds blown on either channel. both in A or B positions......

thoughts?

Contacts on your cartridge/tonearm, maybe?

I’m stuck with this bare bones setup on the second floor for now. (The Advent towers are just functioning as stands for the Audioengines until I can get my receivers serviced.)

I SAW PEARL JAM
    mickeyrat said:

thoughts?

Interesting. Do you have a magnifying glass or jeweler's loupe to take a close look at your stylus? If not, I would try clean the stylus either with a purpose built cleaner or you can use a Magic Eraser. Just set the tip on the ME a few times being careful not to drag the stylus across it.

I assume this is happening with more than one record?
    dankind said:
    mickeyrat said:

thoughts?

I’m stuck with this bare bones setup on the second floor for now. (The Advent towers are just functioning as stands for the Audioengines until I can get my receivers serviced.)

I find myself feeling bummed out about your receivers. That sucks, man. 

At least you have something to get by with. I imagine the AEs are good but in a different league than your Advents?
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:

thoughts?

Interesting. Do you have a magnifying glass or jeweler's loupe to take a close look at your stylus? If not, I would try clean the stylus either with a purpose built cleaner or you can use a Magic Eraser. Just set the tip on the ME a few times being careful not to drag the stylus across it.

I assume this is happening with more than one record?
    it is/was. been doing some investigating. tt cable is internally connected. switched the ends on the receiver side and found the right cable connecter is transmitting weaker slightly. male end either dirty or loose? receiver side, external female side or internal connections maybe?

I recently got zero dust stylus cleaner. it was really dirty. After cleaning , playing Badmotorfinger still had that blown quality.

Not so today with Pumpkins Cherub Rock.

rusty cage sounds muddy still. put my fingers gently on the poly woofer cone and it cleaned up the sound.

thoughts?

Is that one that you refoamed? If so, did you use shims to make sure the voice coil stayed in perfect alignment?

Voice coil rubbing would sound like the situation you are describing. 
    dudeman said:
    Is that one that you refoamed? If so, did you use shims to make sure the voice coil stayed in perfect alignment?

yes, I refoamed. And no, didnt know I should do that. once all this dies down will take both in to make sure its done correctly.
    midrange on that same cabinet has its center cone pushed in some. Think it can be suctioned out, otherwise will that effect any thing if it isnt?

dudeman said:
    dankind said:
    mickeyrat said:

thoughts?

At least you have something to get by with. I imagine the AEs are good but in a different league than your Advents?
    Those Advents are actually from the maligned Jensen era, but they are probably my favorite speakers. Incredibly tight bass. I could listen to them all day. 

The tube preamp helps bring some warmth to the Audioengines. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:

yes, I refoamed. And no, didnt know I should do that. once all this dies down will take both in to make sure its done correctly.
    midrange on that same cabinet has its center cone pushed in some. Think it can be suctioned out, otherwise will that effect any thing if it isnt?

The pushed in dust cover shouldn't make an audible difference. I've had good luck pulling them back out with duct tape. Just a small piece wrapped sticky side out around a couple fingers. Go slow and work in a circle. 

About the woofer, debris falling into the voice coil when you have it apart will cause distortion issues too. Might have to blow it out with canned air if you decide to go back in. 
    dankind said:
    dudeman said:
    dankind said:
    mickeyrat said:

thoughts?

Those Advents are actually from the maligned Jensen era, but they are probably my favorite speakers. Incredibly tight bass. I could listen to them all day. 

The tube preamp helps bring some warmth to the Audioengines. 
    I've never heard a pair of Advents that I didn't like, regardless of era. You have a sweet setup. 
    found a pair of onkyo fusion sk50 4 ways on adbook. picking up saturday. spec plate