Stereo Equipment, diagnosis and repair

mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 17,006
edited January 27 in Musicians and Gearheads
this may be a short lived thread or not , who knows.

Something was mentioned in another thread that brought this to mind.

I guess this would be intended for problem identification, solutions etc.

would be looking for home testing that may be possible...

to start on a couple vinyls, I have checked sound from right to left channel. A couple represses show diminished sound from the right. less pronounced but still present with an original press.

Havent checked with every lp I play but am seeing a trend.

What would some good places to look or check without getting crazy expensive.

80s era onkyo set up. TT has had belt replaced only. assume original cartridge and needle.
Receiver has had cover off for blowout of dust only.
Am 2nd owner, do not believe any work done on either.
_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
Post edited by mickeyrat on

Comments

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 14,968
    edited January 28
    If it’s only happening with phono, then it’s likely either your cartridge or your selector switch/knob. 

Edit: It could also be the cord, but you probably already ruled that out. 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,166
    edited January 28
    Checking the alignment of your cartridge should be the first step. You can download a free alignment tool from a number of places. The one from www.EnjoyTheMusic.com is really simple to use and works well for most situations. 

If that checks out fine or if you're having channel imbalance issues with other sources, such as a CD player, try swapping the speaker wires from the left to right and right to left. If the issue stays on the right side, you're likely dealing with a problem in the amp. If it moves to the left, check your speaker connections, wires and drivers/crossover in that speaker. 

If it's an amp problem, start by cleaning the pots, switches and jacks with electronic contact cleaner. I have had good luck with Deoxit D5 and I follow that up with G5 as a preservative and lubricant. 

If none of that helps, best to get it checked out by a tech or get out the schematic and meter for component testing, if you're interested in the DIY approach. 

I'd be happy to give you more detailed instructions if you'd like. Feel free to PM or post here.

Good luck!
    Post edited by dudeman on
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 17,006
    dudeman said:
    Checking the alignment of your cartridge should be the first step. You can download a free alignment tool from a number of places. The one from www.EnjoyTheMusic.com is really simple to use and works well for most situations. 

If that checks out fine or if you're having channel imbalance issues with other sources, such as a CD player, try swapping the speaker wires from the left to right and right to left. If the issue stays on the right side, you're likely dealing with a problem in the amp. If it moves to the left, check your speaker connections, wires and drivers/crossover in that speaker. 

If it's an amp problem, start by cleaning the pots, switches and jacks with electronic contact cleaner. I have had good luck with Deoxit D5 and I follow that up with G5 as a preservative and lubricant. 

If none of that helps, best to get it checked out by a tech or get out the schematic and meter for component testing, if you're interested in the DIY approach. 

I'd be happy to give you more detailed instructions if you'd like. Feel free to PM or post here.

Good luck!
    thanks. will need to check the internal spkr connection too as I had them both out replacing the foam surround cushion due to dry rot ..
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 17,006
    dankind said:
    If it’s only happening with phono, then it’s likely either your cartridge or your selector switch/knob. 

Edit: It could also be the cord, but you probably already ruled that out. 
    will check all that too. thanks.