Options

How widely followed is "the big game"?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
edited January 2020 in All Encompassing Trip
eBay is running an eBay Bucks promotion through the 23th with the big game as it's theme (or come-on, or whatever).  This surprised me because, growing up here, I always thought this is just a California thing.  My folks went to Cal in the early 50's and then moved us across the bay and us kids grew up 4 miles from Stanford.  (Who do we root for?  Cal, of course!)
So call me naive or stupid, but I wonder how widely is the game followed?  Maybe that Stanford band assisted Cal touch down set the thing on fire.  Anyway, who here is into it?
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,912
    Is this football you’re talking about?
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,623
    For NoCals it is a big game.  For people outside of the region and/or conference I don't think it is on the radar.
    Sorta the Brain Bowl.  Stanford has had a really good run with Harbaugh and Shaw as coaches but prior to that it was a very rare year that either team was any sort of relevant, in the national football scene 

Going to USC, "The Weekender" is the yearly trip to play at (alternately) Cal and Stanford - and so we have conference and in-state exposure to the campuses, teams, and players.

Now that I am in the Northeast I bet I could ask ten college football fans and no more than 3 would be able to tell me who plays in the rivalry game dubbed "The Big Game"
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    Are you sure this isn't in reference to the upcoming Super Bowl?
    Strange time of year to any promo for Cal/Stanford, and the NFL doesn't allow people to use the term Super Bowl for promotions so normally they just say "the big game" instead (stores, radio stations etc.) 
    For instance Best Buy currently has a special on TVs with "guaranteed Delivery and Installation for The Big game"...doubt they are promoting a guarantee to deliver 1o months from now, its for the Super Bowl but they just can't use the term legally.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Is this football you’re talking about?

It is indeed.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Poncier said:
    Strange time of year to any promo for Cal/Stanford, and the NFL doesn't allow people to use the term Super Bowl for promotions so normally they just say "the big game" instead (stores, radio stations etc.) 
    For instance Best Buy currently has a special on TVs with "guaranteed Delivery and Installation for The Big game"...doubt they are promoting a guarantee to deliver 1o months from now, its for the Super Bowl but they just can't use the term legally.

The promotion runs 1/21 through 1/23 and the Cal/Stanford game is on 1/23 whereas the SUper Bowl is on 2/2 son, no, I think it is not regarding the super bowl.  I'm surprised they are doing a promotion for what is really mostly a Bay Area event.

• Options
    For NoCals it is a big game.  For people outside of the region and/or conference I don't think it is on the radar.
    Sorta the Brain Bowl.  Stanford has had a really good run with Harbaugh and Shaw as coaches but prior to that it was a very rare year that either team was any sort of relevant, in the national football scene 

Going to USC, "The Weekender" is the yearly trip to play at (alternately) Cal and Stanford - and so we have conference and in-state exposure to the campuses, teams, and players.

Now that I am in the Northeast I bet I could ask ten college football fans and no more than 3 would be able to tell me who plays in the rivalry game dubbed "The Big Game"
    Right!  Maybe this promotion is only going out to Northern California eBayers.

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Im a college football fan and had no idea what that was other than the Super Bowl
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    Im a college football fan and had no idea what that was other than the Super Bowl

I'm thinking this has to be a NorCal only promotion.

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,623
    brianlux said:
    Poncier said:

The promotion runs 1/21 through 1/23 and the Cal/Stanford game is on 1/23 whereas the SUper Bowl is on 2/2 son, no, I think it is not regarding the super bowl.  I'm surprised they are doing a promotion for what is really mostly a Bay Area event.

But football for college is done....they played on 11/23.
    Odd.  Not sure.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I looked up sales and events on ebay and there is one called 'big game' with a miscellaneous football player in a white uniform catching a ball.  I click on the banner and it takes me to a bunch of NFL merch
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Poncier said:

Odd.  Not sure.

I'm still learning how to read numbers. 
    hide

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Poncier said:

Odd.  Not sure.

I'm still learning how to read numbers. 
    hide

:lol:

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I don't watch the super bowl, but I believe it is widely followed.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,463
    I tried to rent a car at SFO the saturday of "the big game." what a fucking clusterfuck that was. :angry:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,275
    Wobbie said:
    I tried to rent a car at SFO the saturday of "the big game." what a fucking clusterfuck that was. :angry:
    Were you unsuccessful? 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I always find this hilarious!