Options

Dance of the Clairvoyants vs Can't Deny Me

Comments

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,468
    Dance of the Clairvoyants
    I've listened around 10x so far and I've gone from liking to love it. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,928
    I ll take drum machine over cow bell any day of the week.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356
    CDM was weak in every which way
  • Options
    JoostoneJoostone Posts: 231
    I already listened to Dance of the Clairvoyants more in one day than to CDM in 2 years.....
    PJ: Pinkpop 2000, Sydney I/II/III 2003, Adelaide 2003, Arnhem 2006, Antwerp 2006, Berlin 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Nijmegen 2007, Werchter 2007, Rotterdam 2009, Berlin 2009, Nijmegen 2010, Amsterdam I/II 2012, Amsterdam I/II 2014, Amsterdam I/II 2018, Pinkpop 2018, Werchter 2018, Pinkpop 2022, Budapest 2022, Krakow 2022, Amsterdam 2022.
    EV: Amsterdam II 2012, Amsterdam I/III 2017, Amsterdam I 2019
    Brad: Zoetermeer & Utrecht 2013
    Soundgarden: Pinkpop 2012, Amsterdam 2013, Utrecht 2014
  • Options
    ten zten z Posts: 55
    DOTC is a lot more interesting to me then CDM.  I listened to CDM once when it came out and found it very lackluster.  I've never heard CDM live.
    PJ Shows I have attended:
    May 15, 2010 Hartford, CT 
    October 12, 2013 Buffalo, NY
  • Options

Am I the only one who almost started crying after about 20 seconds of hearing this new song because I think it is so f'ing awful? I have been trying to imagine what I would say in person to any of them about this new sound which wouldn't be disrespectful and/or hurtful, but I can't come up with anything at the moment. I remember laughing and jumping up and down with joy when Mind Your Manners was released; I listened to it at least 10 times in a row. I made myself listen to the first verse through the chorus of this one, and then had to stop. I tried a second time, and it wasn't any better. Artistically I understand that experimenting and evolving is critical for a band, and of course I support them for doing so, but I wasn’t expecting something this radically different. I can’t believe that as a devoted fan since 1991, who moved to Seattle literally for no other reason than I love them, I would ever say anything negative about them. There has always been one song on each album that I don’t really care for, but I’ve never hated any. I'm heartbroken.

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

Am I the only one who almost started crying after about 20 seconds of hearing this new song because I think it is so f'ing awful? I have been trying to imagine what I would say in person to any of them about this new sound which wouldn't be disrespectful and/or hurtful, but I can't come up with anything at the moment. I remember laughing and jumping up and down with joy when Mind Your Manners was released; I listened to it at least 10 times in a row. I made myself listen to the first verse through the chorus of this one, and then had to stop. I tried a second time, and it wasn't any better. Artistically I understand that experimenting and evolving is critical for a band, and of course I support them for doing so, but I wasn’t expecting something this radically different. I can’t believe that as a devoted fan since 1991, who moved to Seattle literally for no other reason than I love them, I would ever say anything negative about them. There has always been one song on each album that I don’t really care for, but I’ve never hated any. I'm heartbroken.

That's the crazy thing about art. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I went through something similar in the No Code days. Who You Are popped up and I bailed on the band. Too much good music around Seattle at that time and I couldn't be bothered to chase PJ's experiments around. But I eventually found my way back and love No Code now. But I just didn't have the time or energy to figure out PJ's abrupt change of direction and I put my energy into other local bands at the time.
    Anyway, with DotC my first impression was "yuck". My second impression was improved to "meh". After a few more listens, and remembering back to No Code, I decided that I really like it. And then I spent an hour with DotC on a loop and completely dig it. So my advice would be to either immerse yourself in it and find something to love about it, or kick it to the curb for awhile, hope for more personally appealing songs on the new record, and who knows, maybe you'll eventually come back to it. Don't despair!
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    I’m also in the minority and like Can’t Deny Me... but it isn’t as good as DotC
    Really looking forward to seeing that track live! 

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,181
    in my opinion, can't deny me is in the 3-4 worst songs they ever did.

the more i listen to the new song the more convinced I am that it was left off of the Fletch soundtrack.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    LostpawnLostpawn Posts: 414
    I like them both. Can’t Deny Me took a few spins for me to “get it”, but I loved Clairvoyants from the first run. So it wins this poll for me. 

That said, I completely get why some fans won’t ever like it.  It’s the biggest reach they’ve ever made, and some folks just want Pearl Jam to sound like... Pearl Jam. I don’t disrespect those of you with that opinion. But man, I dig it!
  • Options
    I've actually come around a bit on Can't Deny Me. I was a hater at first. It was presented as a single from the forthcoming album, and I just thought it was awful. It wasn't just that I didn't like the song (which I didn't, the lyrics are pretty cheesy), I thought the actual recording just sounded like shit. Are they going for some low-fi sound or something? I didn't like the possibility of an album that Can't Deny Me was the lead single from. 

But now, removed from the possibility of Can't Deny Me being representative of an entire album, I look at it like a random song in the realm of "Ole," but way better than Ole. Looking at more positive aspects of the song (because really, I was a HATER), I like the riff. And the chorus, while cheesy, has been stuck in my head over the past year more than any PJ song released since Riot Act. And it was pretty good live too when I saw it in Boston. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    rival9500rival9500 Posts: 545
    Dance for me.  Still like CDM.  I think they’ll both be staples this tour.
    1998: Pitt
    2000: Pitt
    2003: Pitt, State College, Columbus,DC, Hershey
    2004: Reading, Toledo, DC
    2005: Pitt
    2006: Cleve, Camden 1+2, DC, Pitt, Cinci
    2008: Camden 1+2, DC
    2009: Philly 3
    2010: Columbus
    2012: Philly
    2013: Pitt, NYC 1+2
  • Options
    in my opinion, can't deny me is in the 3-4 worst songs they ever did.

the more i listen to the new song the more convinced I am that it was left off of the Fletch soundtrack.
    Don’t agree but love the Fletch reference 😂.  
    “ I didn't want to do this, but I'm gonna have to pull rank on you. I'm with the Mattress Police. There are no tags on these mattresses”

• Options
    UtahBoltUtahBolt Posts: 188
    Just not a fan of CDM.  I LOVE the message and will admit it is better live but the arrangement just does not register for me.  DOTC has really grown on me over the last 24 hours and has me excited for what's next.
  • Options
    drandodrando Posts: 68
    edited January 2020
    I have to say,  the people that keep looping this tune that go from Meh,  to Its OK.  to I like it.  to its great, may be kidding themselves.  By the 50th play they will never want to listen to it again.  "Who you are" I can listen to 100 times in a row and it is different and experimental and a very good song.  This album may be like,  hey lets get in the studio and make songs of all the bands we love.  How about make songs about the band that you are.  If I hear one Axel F riff on this album,  I would have to say they mailed it in.  Even on Lightning Bolt,  The "Infallible" chorus sounded like a Cristina Aguilera song.  I know its hard when you have been doing something so long to come up with fresh ideas.  How about do what you do best.  Make great Rock music with inspiring lyrics.
    Post edited by drando on
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758

I would urge you to calm down and not cry about it. You don't have to like or even tolerate every song by a band you like. I would assume the entire album doesn't sound like this. And if it does and you just can't stand it? There are 10 other albums' worth of material for you to enjoy.

Honestly, I guarantee you that Pearl Jam doesn't love every single Pearl Jam song. It's OK to dislike.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,087
    edited January 2020
    I really liked CDM. Dance is getting better and better. Man, it’s good. If someone had just described PJ doing this I would’ve said “well that’s gonna fucking suck” but it’s really well done. The guitar work is sick. Lyrics are great.  The bass is ridiculously good. And Matt...wow. Knowing he did the drums live is super impressive, great beat. Overall it’s very catchy. I can’t fucking wait for Gigaton and two shows!
    Post edited by Abe Froman on
  • Options
    BSullyBSully Indiana Posts: 1,054
    It's growing on me more and more...
    1998: Noblesville, IN 08-17
    2000: Noblesville, IN 08-18
    2003: Noblesville, IN 06-22
    2006: Cincinnati, OH 06-24
    2010: Noblesville, IN 05-07
    2016: Lexington, KY 04-26, Wrigley Field 2 08-22
    2018: Wrigley Field 1 08-18, Wrigley Field 2 08-20
    2022: St. Louis, MO 09-18
    2024: Noblesville, IN 08-26, Wrigley Field 1 08-29, Wrigley Field 2 08-31
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,767
    The other "Dance..." thread being closed. I'll say here the I'll give it another shot.  Thanks Abe and a few others for suggesting to do so.  I'll admit, 30 seconds isn't a fair listen.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,552
    brianlux said:
    The other "Dance..." thread being closed. I'll say here the I'll give it another shot.  Thanks Abe and a few others for suggesting to do so.  I'll admit, 30 seconds isn't a fair listen.
    I apologize for my part in hopefully just temporarily closing that thread.  I enjoy stirring the pot too much sometimes.

I do hope you give it a few more listens.  The transitions from the verse to the chorus are awesome.  For its genre, sure not a great song.  Devo couldn’t write a one off song like Spin the Black Circle either.  But A for effort and so thankful to have something different to change things up.   I am excited because they are excited.   I trust Stone the most and if he is pumped it is a good thing.
  • Options
    I really enjoyed CDM live.  
  • Options
    so did we all like beer after the first glass?  No, we kept after it until we liked it.  
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,968
    Honestly not a huge fan of Can't Deny Me, but I love DotC. Easy call for me, pretty happy that Can't Deny Me didn't make the cut for the album.
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,767
    brianlux said:
    I apologize for my part in hopefully just temporarily closing that thread.  I enjoy stirring the pot too much sometimes.

I do hope you give it a few more listens.  The transitions from the verse to the chorus are awesome.  For its genre, sure not a great song.  Devo couldn’t write a one off song like Spin the Black Circle either.  But A for effort and so thankful to have something different to change things up.   I am excited because they are excited.   I trust Stone the most and if he is pumped it is a good thing.

Maybe they'll reopen the thread.

But here we are and this is good.  Yes, I gave the song a serious, 100% focused listen.  I liked it better- it's certainly not a "bad" song- but I doubt it will ever do much for me.  I would have totally dug it in the 80's but, like so much 80's stuff I used to like, I cringe listening to songs with little or no variation to the beat and the drumming.  I want to soar more than drill.  A drum machine could have done the job about as well-  no offense to Matt, he's a fine drummer, but this just isn't my thing anymore.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,026
    Dance is a coherent well written song. Can't Deny Me was a bunch of half-ideas thrown together that don't really fit together. The transitions from one part to another are not working. 
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • Options
    TinaETinaE Germany Posts: 1,287
    The decision is a little difficult for me because I like both songs. CDM is great, nice to rock, but I don't like the chorus (the sound), I think it kind of pulls down the rocky mood of the song.
    DotC is refreshingly different, danceable, the chorus reminds me of Bowie somehow too ... I like the song, but it's not my favorite.

Berlin 07/05/2018; Berlin 06/21/2022; Frankfurt 06/28/2022
    Eddie Vedder Düsseldorf 06/30/2019
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,780
    I like the intent of CDM, but in execution it was rather underwhelming.  

DoTC has a much much better execution of their intent.  It may not be everyone's vibe.

Also for me CDM is so utterly forgettable because it is a digital throw away.  I am a geezer and still like my physical music formats. 
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    They are both awesome songs. I like the vocals a little bit more on CDM. I think that is the one thing I’ll miss with BoB. I love the way Ed’s voice comes through when he is producing. Dance wouldn’t have happened with him though, and I’m glad it did. 
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 904
    I really enjoyed CDM live.  
    I surprisingly did too..it sounded good and pretty fresh. I labeled it one of the bands worst studio tracks out of the gate, but it just works live.
  • Options

I would urge you to calm down and not cry about it. You don't have to like or even tolerate every song by a band you like. I would assume the entire album doesn't sound like this. And if it does and you just can't stand it? There are 10 other albums' worth of material for you to enjoy.

Honestly, I guarantee you that Pearl Jam doesn't love every single Pearl Jam song. It's OK to dislike.
    Last sentence= Right on. First one= Not cool (patronizing)
    I love the new video, especially since they barely show their faces so the viewer's attention is focused on the iconic imagery of  climate change. I just watched it--with the sound muted HA!--and am really moved by how powerful, and beautiful, it is. As always, I'm proud of their ethics and their ongoing commitment to speaking out/up