Options

Marketing strategy for the new album?

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,079
edited November 2019 in The Porch
Other than 1-2 music videos and a short behind the scenes by Danny Clinch and the old fashioned playing at a Late show or two (maybe even Ellen this time?). Do you think this time around they will swing by some podcasts? Eddie doing Marc Marons pod, or Conan O'Briens like Neil Young just did?

And do you think they will visit youtube channels (where people are actually watching in 2020)? Like Noel Gallagher going on Hot Ones or Arnold Schwarzenegger breaking down all his movies in whatever youtube channel he was on? Will they visit Amoeba for a "whats in my bag" (Tobias Forge of Ghost bought a KISS album)? Will Mike do a Wikipedia Fact and Fiction on Loudwire?

Seems to be the strategy for many people pushing films/music nowadays. 

Will Eddie be on Maron questionmark.
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

Comments

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,240
    Hahaha, no, this band (Eddie specifically) don't like to do media.   They always do the bare minimum.  I'm not sure doing it helps sales that much anyways.  The album is mostly going to sell to the core audience.  All you need to do is let those people know (social media, email, single to radio... the usually stuff).

Eddie doesn't really ever do proper interviews.  Can't seem him doing podcasts.
  • Options
    Zod said:
    Hahaha, no, this band (Eddie specifically) don't like to do media.   They always do the bare minimum.  I'm not sure doing it helps sales that much anyways.  The album is mostly going to sell to the core audience.  All you need to do is let those people know (social media, email, single to radio... the usually stuff).

He does interviews though.

Could it be a misconception among the Pearl Jam Intelligence community that he doesn't like to "do media" when it comes to certain types of media that has been pushed on him through his career?

An interview with Judd Apatow at the HQ, Interviews with journalists that aren't just looking for quick soundbites about whatever and a long form discussion with Marc Maron might be a different thing.

Or has he stated that he "don't like to do (all) media?

True about sales somewhat -- but Pearl Jam still have the "power" to have mainstream singles (Just Breathe etc).
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Zod said:

Could it be a misconception among the Pearl Jam Intelligence community that he doesn't like to "do media" when it comes to certain types of media that has been pushed on him through his career?

An interview with Judd Apatow at the HQ, Interviews with journalists that aren't just looking for quick soundbites about whatever and a long form discussion with Marc Maron might be a different thing.

True about sales somewhat -- but Pearl Jam still have the "power" to have mainstream singles (Just Breathe etc).
    I more or less meant it's pretty rare to see Eddie do a 20 or 30 minute interview and say very much.  The Judd Apatow one had some real good moments, but it was rare, short, and heavily edited.

PJ very much focuses on protecting their own image/brand.   Most of what we see is pretty filtered.   I can see more of the, get someone we trust, do an interview, edit alots of it out, and give us some short nuggets kind of thing.  Going out and doing other peoples podcasts or a press tour... lol.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Zod said:
    Zod said:

I more or less meant it's pretty rare to see Eddie do a 20 or 30 minute interview and say very much.  The Judd Apatow one had some real good moments, but it was rare, short, and heavily edited.

PJ very much focuses on protecting their own image/brand.   Most of what we see is pretty filtered.   I can see more of the, get someone we trust, do an interview, edit alots of it out, and give us some short nuggets kind of thing.  Going out and doing other peoples podcasts or a press tour... lol.
    Yeah I guess a "out surfing and chatting with Cameron Crow"-video is more probable than Marc Maron. At the same time, Marc Maron, Conna (which they all have met) etc has shown to not be a threat to people. 

So I would not say something like that is out of the question.

If @Kelly Curtis and his team want to reach Taylor Swift numbers - it might be a good idea to think outside the 90s box and go where people are.
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,773
    they are coming to my basement to listen to records and we are going to make 60,000 tik toks. I hear they are all the rage.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,983
    Probably a NYTimes piece and more YouTube Interviews/EPK type stuff. 

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,983
    Speaking of which, it would be cool if the PJ YouTube channel would put up old videos of promotional materials. 
  • Options
    Zod said:
    Zod said:

Yeah I guess a "out surfing and chatting with Cameron Crow"-video is more probable than Marc Maron. At the same time, Marc Maron, Conna (which they all have met) etc has shown to not be a threat to people. 

If @Kelly Curtis and his team want to reach Taylor Swift numbers - it might be a good idea to think outside the 90s box and go where people are.
    I don't think they want Taylor Swift numbers.   Wasn't that the whole reason they stopped doing music videos and press over 25 years ago? :)
  • Options
    What new album?
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Zod said:
    Zod said:
    Zod said:

I don't think they want Taylor Swift numbers.   Wasn't that the whole reason they stopped doing music videos and press over 25 years ago? :)
    Back then I imagine they were having a naive "We will be a working, touring band like Neil Young!!"-hubris because they were one of the biggest bands, their albums went to number one anyways with amazing sales and the magic rock and roll life of touring was something they thought they could do 24/7. 

After Binaural came out with disappointing sales, below Britney Spears, they did start releasing music videos again.

I would imagine they want to sell Taylor Swifts numbers if they could. Or Foo Fighters numbers. I would also imagine they believe they can still get Just Breathe-esque hits (like they tried with Sirens is my guess). I also imagine they realise they are moving into the Neil Young "niche" (selling mainly to the "dog collar merch"-hungry core and headlining festivals by their reputation and legacy) and do not have a evergreen generation crossing "Always hip -- Always hits" career of Foo Fighters. Not that they would want to have that if that means going down the Dave Grohl path of jerking off everything and everyone and playing the devil in Jack Black movies.

Should be noted, I do not have anything to back up anything I've written above. The White House nor the State Department have agreed to share or release the relevant materials. Talk to Rudy.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,955
    Here’s a strategy...release one 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    What new album?
    No sheeeet!
    ...before I die, please.  And make it a good one!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    raindog80raindog80 Reggio Emilia, Italy Posts: 1,141
    Yep! 
    "I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things" - Tom Waits
    pearljamonline.it
  • Options
    EMC77EMC77 Almería, Spain Posts: 129
    I liked the interviews from Lightning Bolt, would be cool something like that
  • Options
    EMC77 said:

• Options
    EMC77EMC77 Almería, Spain Posts: 129
    EMC77 said:

Ok man...
  • Options
    Zod said:
    Zod said:

I found that interview to be painful..
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,354
    Go on that show where they eat chicken wings?
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    EMC77 said:

"increasing penetration" :giggle:
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    I'd love to see Eddie on Hot Ones. Sean (the host) is one of my favorite interviewers and I think would have some genuine, unique, thought provoking questions for Ed that nobody else would.
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    Hobbes said:
    EMC77 said:

"increasing penetration" :giggle:

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    Pearl Jam/ Marketing.  Oxymoron of sorts?  To me it is.  I don't think this band needs a marketing strategy and if it's only about money, then the marketing strategy maybe should be a take off of a take off of this cover.   

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,302
    Zod said:
    Zod said:
    Zod said:

Back then I imagine they were having a naive "We will be a working, touring band like Neil Young!!"-hubris because they were one of the biggest bands, their albums went to number one anyways with amazing sales and the magic rock and roll life of touring was something they thought they could do 24/7. 

After Binaural came out with disappointing sales, below Britney Spears, they did start releasing music videos again.

I would imagine they want to sell Taylor Swifts numbers if they could. Or Foo Fighters numbers. I would also imagine they believe they can still get Just Breathe-esque hits (like they tried with Sirens is my guess). I also imagine they realise they are moving into the Neil Young "niche" (selling mainly to the "dog collar merch"-hungry core and headlining festivals by their reputation and legacy) and do not have a evergreen generation crossing "Always hip -- Always hits" career of Foo Fighters. Not that they would want to have that if that means going down the Dave Grohl path of jerking off everything and everyone and playing the devil in Jack Black movies.

Should be noted, I do not have anything to back up anything I've written above. The White House nor the State Department have agreed to share or release the relevant materials. Talk to Rudy.
    Neil young still releases music. Big difference
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    NewJPage said:
    Zod said:
    Zod said:
    Zod said:

Neil young still releases music. Big difference
    Seems Pearl Jam does too.
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,349
    The marketing strategy is to give us a clue and let us spread it over social media.  It is the smartest marketing move they have ever made
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .